Author Topic: Finally, the Harley Davidson death rattle.....  (Read 30573 times)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Finally, the Harley Davidson death rattle.....
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
They have some smaller lighter less expensive motorcycles, a bad carpenter can count on one hand the number of "young" riders I have actually seen on one.

Maybe you gotta get out more...  :boozing:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »
Maybe you gotta get out more...  :boozing:

Between the two of us, we probably get out enough for one, and I have to agree with "doesn't appeal".

I've been thinking of all the small-blocks I know about, and the youngest guy on one is 50 or so.   Most of them look more like me, and have bought the smaller bike for the same reason I will, NOT because they're young and new to the game and a 750 seems like the right speed.

Perhaps it would help if any 20 - 30-somethings here with V7s could tell us why the bike appealed to them ... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

kirby1923

« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
The old saying "follow the money" is probably a good strategy.

Who has the money and time?(boomers,old guys) I've got at least 15 more years of riding left.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:14:51 AM by kirby1923 »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »
Between the two of us, we probably get out enough for one, and I have to agree with "doesn't appeal".

I've been thinking of all the small-blocks I know about, and the youngest guy on one is 50 or so.   Most of them look more like me, and have bought the smaller bike for the same reason I will, NOT because they're young and new to the game and a 750 seems like the right speed.

Perhaps it would help if any 20 - 30-somethings here with V7s could tell us why the bike appealed to them ... ?

Lannis

I don't think many/any of us around here tend to "hang out" with 20-30 somethings anymore.

Why should we assume they would go the places we go and do the things we do enough for us to notice.

Hell that includes this board. I still feel too young for it half the time and I've been here a long time now.

But we have seen some younger/newer Guzzi owners do some drive-bys even on this board looking for info, and our local group has seen a couple too IRL.

Reports are the smallblocks are selling like hotcakes, they must be selling to someone, and it seems that only a part of that is the WG curmudgeon crowd.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:52:39 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
All the young enthusiasts that I know gravitate to older bikes. One example is Brian, the parts guy at The Bonneville Shop. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of British bikes; especially Triumphs. He also  possesses an enthusiasm for riding that is tough to maintain as an older guy. He would never dream of buying new...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
I have seen quite a few young people riding small blocks. People probably in their 30's. I try to talk to them whenever I can. Most don't really know much about Guzzi history. They just like their bikes. I was riding my t3 with a Lemans tank one day when I met a young guy on a v7 Classic at a gas station. He was quite surprised to find that my bike that his closely resembled (if you don't look too hard) was built before he was born!

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »

Lannis

QUOTEPerhaps it would help if any 20-30-somethings here with V7s could tell us why the bike appealed to them?

That would be a good "new" thread... :thumb: :1: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2018, 10:33:23 AM »

There are some 20-30-somethings riding V7s in my city.  College town, so that could have some bearing.

Large 25,000+ Student population.

One 30-ish guy with a V7 Racer up the street from me.  He also has a vintage BMW R-bike, and some 1970s Honda thing.   He's into the V7 because of the vintage looks with modern reliability. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
There are some 20-30-somethings riding V7s in my city.  College town, so that could have some bearing.

Large 25,000+ Student population.

One 30-ish guy with a V7 Racer up the street from me.  He also has a vintage BMW R-bike, and some 1970s Honda thing.   He's into the V7 because of the vintage looks with modern reliability.

Was in Tahlequah last Spring , same there , a couple of V7's parked on campus and along the main drag .

Dusty

kirby1923

« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »
Things have changed and the young people now days don't even like driving other than for transportation. I grew up lusting over motorcycles and cars and the largest market is in the 55 y/o up by far. They will be continuing riding for quite some time, but trying to interest todays youngsters in a recreation vehicle like a motor bike seems to me to be futile.

The huge majority of riders I meet in the states are 55 and up. Many are looking for lighter machines and have the resources to buy them.

Maybe I'm just out of touch but its what I'm seeing.

j.r.r.

« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
Things have changed and the young people now days don't even like driving other than for transportation. I grew up lusting over motorcycles and cars and the largest market is in the 55 y/o up by far. They will be continuing riding for quite some time, but trying to interest todays youngsters in a recreation vehicle like a motor bike seems to me to be futile.

The huge majority of riders I meet in the states are 55 and up. Many are looking for lighter machines and have the resources to buy them.

I have to disagree. In Toronto during riding season we have weekly and monthly 'social' events were all kind of bikes are welcome. On any of those events there are over 50% of sport bikes owned by people 30 years old or younger. This lines up with my observation when visiting Piaggio local dealer, if you see young person walking in he/she already rides Aprilia or is looking at one. Very rarely I see rider under 40 years old on Moto Guzzi.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »

You're not out of touch.  I also believe that Baby Boomers are driving the current "mid-size" motorcycle sales, despite what the makers' advertising would have you believe.

Most younger people are either just not interested in power sports, or can't afford it due to college debt and the choice to spend their time and money on media and phones.

I see some younger riders on "mid-size" motorcycles, but they're outnumbered. 

From what I've seen, Harley's "Street" line is mainly sold to girlfriends and wives of HD riders.  I don't see many young men on them.  I'm sure there are some, but the younger guys are always on Sportsters.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2018, 11:12:04 AM »
On any of those events there are over 50% of sport bikes owned by people 30 years old or younger. 

True.  600-750cc sportsbikes are the reserve of young men.  Easy to see they are the major demographic on the Japanese Supersports.  However, overall sales numbers of those mid-size Supersports has been trending downward for a long time. 

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

kirby1923

« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2018, 11:26:50 AM »
I have to disagree. In Toronto during riding season we have weekly and monthly 'social' events were all kind of bikes are welcome. On any of those events there are over 50% of sport bikes owned by people 30 years old or younger. This lines up with my observation when visiting Piaggio local dealer, if you see young person walking in he/she already rides Aprilia or is looking at one. Very rarely I see rider under 40 years old on Moto Guzzi.

To be clear I'm not talking about rallys and social events, I'm talking about out on the road where you meet people that consider their moto a large part of their every day life.
I believe there is a big difference between the two.

Offline aschem

• Gosling
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2018, 12:40:16 PM »
I sure like some of the Storz HD Sportster Street Trackers http://www.storzperf.com/

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »
Most younger people are either just not interested in power sports, or can't afford it due to college debt and the choice to spend their time and money on media and phones.

That's ALWAYS been true, the motor heads were always a subset of the Gen Pop, the motorcyclists an even smaller sub-set...

To be clear I'm not talking about rallys and social events, I'm talking about out on the road where you meet people that consider their moto a large part of their every day life.
I believe there is a big difference between the two.

The vast majority of the motorcycle popularity bubble we saw in the last few decades were owners that DIDN'T make it a large part of their everyday life. Those who DID were always a subset, of a subset, of a subset - see above.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2018, 01:39:56 PM »
QUOTEPerhaps it would help if any 20-30-somethings here with V7s could tell us why the bike appealed to them?

That would be a good "new" thread... :thumb: :1: :cool:

Probably not.   As you can see from my and everyone else's posts on the subject, the data is going to be all subjective, all qualitative, based on "it seems to me" and "from what I can tell" and "in my town" and "lately" and .... and ....

The fact that we don't HAVE any 20-somethings here with V7s is a data point, but it could mean several things, and we won't even know which is right ....

Lannis

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »
I sure like some of the Storz HD Sportster Street Trackers http://www.storzperf.com/

:thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »

The original customized Sporty is still the style champ in my book -

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2018, 03:55:28 PM »
A lot of young guys over on the FZ-07 forum and the Ninja 650 forum that i still visit.

One of those bikes brand new cost 2/3rds of what a V7 costs and offers more performance for the money.  They don't care that the bikes are clad in plastics and are full of budget parts.  Most that buy new do so because they don't know enough about bikes to buy a used one and take the chance on getting an abused one.  Most that buy new are not tool savvy at all, or still live the apartment life that doesn't mix well with wrenching.  Most that buy new do so because they need the finance guy to work them out a nice payment plan.

What I paid for my V7 I have spent on a vacation.  Most young people have to choose between that vacation, a motorcycle, putting money into a retirement plan, paying off student loans, etc. 

When I started riding motorcycles were cheap economical alternative modes of transportation.  Now they are a leisure activity for most.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

kirby1923

« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2018, 04:07:50 PM »
Quote from Kev

"The vast majority of the motorcycle popularity bubble we saw in the last few decades were owners that DIDN'T make it a large part of their everyday life. Those who DID were always a subset, of a subset, of a subset - see above."

So I learned something today...I'm a subset! Damn!!!!!I like it!

:-)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2018, 04:10:02 PM »
In a country of aprox 325 million people, the motorcycle industry is selling aprox 5-600,000 units a year!!  That includes off road bikes.     It's a relatively small market, it's a wonder there are as many players as there are.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
I *have* talked with several young people on new small blocks in the SoCal area..you see a lot of them.  But.. you have to be fairly wealthy to live there in the first place. It is an upscale bike for millennials. You can buy Japan inc. iron for much less.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2018, 05:39:03 PM »
I don't think many/any of us around here tend to "hang out" with 20-30 somethings anymore.

I work at extremely large university (50 000 students) motorcycle parking is free, I stand by my original statement.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2018, 08:46:25 PM »
I work at extremely large university (50 000 students) motorcycle parking is free, I stand by my original statement.
Are motorcycles even a thing on that campus?!?

I don't recall ever seeing one on the campuses of Lehigh or Villanova when I went there, or hell even any of the college's we used to travel through for the East Coast Shotokan tournaments.

I got the impression most of my generation who rides didn't do so in college <shrugs>

But such are the dangers of perceptions.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
Are motorcycles even a thing on that campus?!?

I don't recall ever seeing one on the campuses of Lehigh or Villanova when I went there, or hell even any of the college's we used to travel through for the East Coast Shotokan tournaments.

I got the impression most of my generation who rides didn't do so in college <shrugs>

But such are the dangers of perceptions.

I used to ride my RD400C from out by Stone Mountain to Georgia Tech from '76 to '79.   

If I saw 10 other bikes among the thousands of cars, it was a banner day for bikes ....

Lannis

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2018, 10:09:00 PM »
When I went to the UW in the 80s, scooters were the preferred mode of student mobility.  Seattle is a hilly town and pedal bikes are only fun one way.  Motorcycles paid some nominal access and parking fee -- like $10 a term -- to cover the sticker, I think.  They encouraged bikes because they took less space, and 90% of them were Vespas or less.  It was a wildly successful policy; there were thousands of scooters everywhere.  Helmets were required on campus. 

The relatively few street bikes on campus were never crowded.  Bikes could park anywhere we could fit the machine, as well as in designated bike corrals and the parking garages, where we could stuff as many into a car slot as we could fit.  I can't recall getting boxed in, although I'd park to the outer edge, making the mopeds have to fill in behind me.  My Windjammer stuck up among the clusters of step-throughs like a sail -- always easy to find. 

I could park handy enough to ride between classes (had to stay on car paths and designated alleys), which was easier than walking at the time.  That and being able to use the HOV lane on the commute made it worthwhile to rack up about 50k commuting on the Convert, sometimes in pretty nasty weather.

I was there in L&I and qualified for a handicapped sticker.  They fought like heck to keep from giving me both a m/c pass andthe blue placard.  I put up a good stink for disabled biker rights.   :angel: 

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2018, 11:31:19 PM »
In the early 90's I was riding my 850 T-3 to school. There were always other bikes, I remember seeing  Katanas, 250 ninjas, a-ZX-7 stands out ( because I thought it was the fastest looking thing ever in green white and blue) and some older Japanese 4 cyl bikes.

I've noticed a lot of smaller displacement sportbikes lately (250 cc?)
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #208 on: February 14, 2018, 06:12:34 AM »
 When the weather was nicer I rode a Triumph 650 to state college in western NY state during the 70's..A huge campus...Saw no other bikes...

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #209 on: February 14, 2018, 06:27:56 AM »
"Death rattle," good grief.  Harley haters are amusing.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:58:24 AM by leafman60 »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Mother Road Motorsports is Tulsa's exclusive Moto Guzzi dealer
Oklahoma's premier Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Vespa and now Ducati dealer
Great service, Great selection, Friendly Environment! Come see us on Route 66.
Advertise Here