Author Topic: Gearbox oil in flywheel housing  (Read 780 times)

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Gearbox oil in flywheel housing
« on: September 26, 2021, 09:49:12 PM »
My G5 is leaking gearbox oil from the timing inspection hole.  I know it’s gearbox oil since it is pink Redline Shockproof. I can’t believe that this is normal. It must be coming in from the input shaft. Am I ok to run the bike in this condition?  I’m not quite ready to crab the frame again quite so soon.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Gearbox oil in flywheel housing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 10:08:21 PM »
Check to make sure the gearbox is not overfilled.

If it has the proper oil level, line up your tools and prepare to do some crabbin' again.
1990 MilleGT

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »
With any luck at all, it’ll be the clutch pushrod seal. The original is two cone shaped seals. The better one is a stack of o rings. Access is from the back after the swing arm is removed. The smart guys will be along shortly to ‘splain  it or search on this should be good
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 03:54:19 AM »
Jeez Scout you're not having much luck these days are you, first the charging system now this  :cry:

I've not heard of Redline making it past the seals before, I too use the Shockproof Heavy and so far no problems, I don't doubt rodekyll, just saying it has not been my experience to date.

As the others have said overfill and pushrod seals checked first as you'd be proper p*****d if you crabbed and either of these were the problem. I'd also check to ensure your breather line isn't blocked or kinked, that would pressurize the box and push oil to where it's no right to be.

You got my gearbox article, not that's it's brilliant or anything, far from it but it does give you some ideas of how the box works and where the oil is and isn't?

Worst case it's the Clutch shaft (input) seal, not expensive but I PIA to get to

John

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 03:54:19 AM »

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 05:42:34 AM »
Hopefully it’s the oil level.  I just installed the pushrod oil rings.  There was some oil coming out the breather earlier and I fitted a hose from that to the rear.  Maybe it forced the oil forward. I’m not overly concerned. Worst case scenario I crab it again.  I’ve gotten pretty fast at it.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »
I had the same issue with my 02 Stone when u first hit it last year.
I changed the fluid to be sure the amount was right and went to a heaven lube. This ended my minor leak.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 02:44:07 PM »
Hopefully it’s the oil level.  I just installed the pushrod oil rings.  There was some oil coming out the breather earlier and I fitted a hose from that to the rear.  Maybe it forced the oil forward. I’m not overly concerned. Worst case scenario I crab it again.  I’ve gotten pretty fast at it.

Worst case is it fouls the new clutch plates, and you get to buy new ones again.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 06:11:16 AM »
I’ve been looking at parts diagrams and have a sneaking suspicion that I didn’t install the clutch hub seal on the front of the gearbox. I’ll tear it apart again.  I ordered new clutch plates as I’m sure the current ones will be fouled. I’ll report back in a few weeks.

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 06:50:11 AM »
I’ve been looking at parts diagrams and have a sneaking suspicion that I didn’t install the clutch hub seal on the front of the gearbox. I’ll tear it apart again.  I ordered new clutch plates as I’m sure the current ones will be fouled. I’ll report back in a few weeks.

I had the issue on my SP a couple of years back, and realized that it was my fault; when I replaced the gearbox input shaft seal, I inserted it too far in. It needs to be flush with the front flange surface, so that the clutch gear hub covers the seal lips when fully inserted. Also, there are 2 different size o-rings that go over the front of the input shaft that should be replaced and carefully installed to prevent rolling off when the clutch hub is inserted. Doing all of the above completely cured the issue.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 03:01:47 PM »
if it were the pushrod seal Iwould expect it was already on your clutch plates giving you grief, most likely its the output seal

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here