Author Topic: requesting reassembly help  (Read 1271 times)

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
requesting reassembly help
« on: June 21, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »
I need a little help, please.
On my new 02/03 EV, as part of a project to take care of deferred maintenance, I took off the rear wheel to look for grease on the splines and inspect the cushes. I have two stumbling blocks while reassembling. First, the centering springs for the brake pads fell out (unexpectedly) when I took the caliper off. Can anyone give me an idea how they fit back in? I got new ones with pads, but it is not exactly self-explanatory.
Second, the rear wheel makes noises when I spin it after reassembly. In the direction of rotation is is a soft rubbing noise. But in the opposite direction, the noise is like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle. It seemed so straightforward. What could I have messed up? TIA

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: requesting reassembly help
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »
If you were in the cush drive maybe it is not right. Isn't there a band held in by a bolt that locks it all in place. If you hear a noise I world take it back apart, most likely see what is rubbing.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 08:20:45 AM »
Thanks.
It makes sense. I'll start there and hope for silence from the wheel.
I am hoping to ride the bike again yet this summer.
Thanks again

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »
Well,
if I made a mistake there, I can't find it. The rubbers are in place. The cover slid in nicely, as did the lock ring, and the lock bolt in place. I wasn't certain of the direction of the hold down, but I tried it both ways as well as without it with the same result. There is a gap of about 3/16 between the hub and the housing of the "transmission".
Too much? Too little?
While I had the wheel apart, I used the coupling disc to turn the drive flange, and it appears the noises originate there. All I did there was to clean and grease the spline and replace the gasket (O ring). The input assembly came apart easily and went back together easily. What else should I be looking for?
Again TIA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »

Online Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 05:04:15 PM »
How are you supporting the rear of the bike?  If the rear wheel is hanging all the way down, that will put the u-joints and drive shaft at an extreme angle (that will never be seen during normal operation) so that might be the source of your noise.  Maybe put everything together and put the bike back on the ground and try rolling it to see if the noises are still there.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 04:25:28 AM »
It is just on the centerstand. The rear wheel is hanging over the back of the lift. The swing arm angle is maintained for the most part by the shocks.
I know it sounds a little precarious, but it is tied down and the front wheel is tied to the swingarm to keep it from rolling off. I think that it is within a reasonable range. The drive is noisy with or without the weight of the wheel pulling on the swingarm.
I took it apart again and with trepidation pulled the pinion out of the housing to spin the bearing. The pinion is smooth as silk, but the bearings in the bevel housing are rough and I am pretty sure that this is the source of the problem.
The bike is new to me, but has 45,000 mi. I don't know what to expect from this area. I hope that if I can get this and the rear brakes sorted, it should be ready to go some distance.

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 05:54:16 AM »
Don't run it in gear while on the center stand. What Howard R said is accurate. Take it off the lift and try it while the weight is on the wheels and see if it is OK.
I suspect it will be.

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 05:21:34 PM »
Well...I used youse guys advice as an excuse to finally put the tank back on so I could check myself that it was in neutral. I had it right. Then I reassembled and mounted the rear drive, brake calipers, and exhaust, and rolled it off of the lift like it was the Titanic. I had my son listen while I rolled it up and down the driveway and he said the rubbing was gone, as you suggested it would be. When I listened, all I heard was the tire. If there was anything else, my old ears missed it. What you guys, Ant man, Howard, and Steve would say is to just ride it. Since I am broke, that is what I will do. I am talking with a forum member about a used part, but he is off on vacation until the 4th which will give me a chance to ride and blow it up, or not.

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 05:34:28 PM »
Glad to hear it's OK. What part are you in need of?

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
Handy Andy has a 8:33 drive that he wants to sell since he bought a 7:33. I figured that if I was going to blow up my final drive, might as well go all the way

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here