Author Topic: KBB value took quite the nosedive...  (Read 8806 times)

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
KBB value took quite the nosedive...
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:07 AM »
09' Norge, holy crap. Almost like the first year. Glad I bought a leftover. $5200 trade in value!? $8 grand last year, unless Harley (2 different dealerships?) just really wanted my business. What made me look? The Ducati Scrambler. And the fact that there is a dealer close by that I did not know about. This North country seems so isolated sometimes :-\. Moto Guzzi's closest 6 hours one direction, and 6 hours the opposite direction. V7II or Scrambler. Ducati dealer under 2 hours. I want to downsize a bit. + and -'s to both. At $5200 trade in it might be smart to keep the Norge and add the smaller bike to the stable. That way I get to see which gets the most seat time. Decisions decisions ???....

Stay safe, John
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: KBB value took quite the nosedive...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:14:35 AM »
There's a lot to like about the new Duc Scrambler!

Hell, it could almost get me to buy a Duc for myself...

http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Scramblerparts.jpg

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:40:12 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
Keep the Norge. The Scrambler ain't no touring bike (you could, but the Norge is so much better) and it would take some bucks to make it worth touring on (e.g. windscreen, bags, heated stuff, seat......). Darn bikes can be so specialized today, it's hard to find a good all arounder.

With the "value" of the Norge taking a hit, to me, it makes more sense to keep her and get some use out of her.

But it's a slippery slope and the next thing you have too many bikes to maintain and use.  :P
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
Wonder how much water that exhaust system holds when parked in the rain?  Bet it's a fun bike but I'd rather find an old XR650R and keep two sets of wheels.  Street and dual purpose.

Keep the Norge unless you just don't gel with it.  Agree, the dealer situation is awful.

Tobit
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:39:36 AM by Tobit »
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »
09' Norge, holy crap. Almost like the first year. Glad I bought a leftover. $5200 trade in value!? $8 grand last year, unless Harley (2 different dealerships?) just really wanted my business. 

If you didn't look at KBB last year, then you don't have any idea what it was.

When you're trading for a high margin vehicle like a Harley (or luxury car), they can move some of the money from the new vehicle over to the "trade value" of your trade-in.  You will never know what the ACV (actual cash value) is that the dealer places on your trade. 

Plus, KBB and NADA are notoriously inaccurate with Guzzi values.  Mainly because the market is so small for the bikes, they just don't have enough data to make good estimates of value.

Anyway, yes the Norge has a horrible resale value.  Most modern Guzzis do.  They're not bikes to flip, but bikes to keep and use. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:35 AM »
Ha, now that you mention it, it kinda does look like a rainwater collection device. That XR is just outa reach for me. 5'3" 130# 28" inseam. I can ride it, did motocross for 4 seasons, just don't want to as I approach my 6th decade. I think I saw $1200 for a Termi slip on for the Scrambler, angled more the way it should. I'd buy (already have one) a plug to slip in the exhaust to park in the rain before I'd spent $1200 for a slip on that would just annoy people. Trade offs with every bike. My wife isn't riding much anymore. She might be more comfy on a Cali 1400, a Gold Wing or a touring HD but that doesn't do anything for me downsizing and it may not change how much she rides. I like the idea of less tupperware, lighter weight, dirt road capable, probably a bit faster than my Norge (no needs there, just fun I guess). It sure is easy to want when the snow is on the ground and the temp hovers around zero.

Stay safe, John

Just for giggles I'll ask the HD dealer what he'll give me this year. They've been trying since before I got my Norge. I keep telling them I ought to have one HD before it's over ;).
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »
I think I saw $1200 for a Termi slip on for the Scrambler, angled more the way it should.

Aside: the Scrambler "Full Throttle" version comes with Termignoni pipes standard. Which is cool.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:08:30 AM »
Yeah, at a $1400 premium. And I can't get by the "faux" number plates on the seat and black. I had one black motorcycle, never again. The lower bars might work though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:09:59 AM by Adk.IBO »

LongRanger

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
This time of the year really provokes my moto fantasies. I've lusted after, and bought, most of my bikes in the winter, nostalgically hoping it would make summer arrive that much sooner. The Duc Scrambler is on my short list too, just like the CB1100 was last year. But by the time the new bikes arrive at the dealerships, I'm already out riding and rediscovering what I like about the bikes I already have.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
If you didn't look at KBB last year, then you don't have any idea what it was.

When you're trading for a high margin vehicle like a Harley (or luxury car), they can move some of the money from the new vehicle over to the "trade value" of your trade-in.  You will never know what the ACV (actual cash value) is that the dealer places on your trade. 

I guess people like to think they're getting a "real deal" using "trade-in" values.

There are ONLY two things to remember when buying and selling bikes.

1) The dealer BUYS bikes at wholesale.

2) The dealer SELLS bikes at retail.

So, no matter what you talk yourself into to justify the new bike, no matter what the book says, no matter how much of the "price" the dealer "moves" from the retail price to the "trade-in" offer he makes, he HAS to buy bikes (including your trade-in) at Wholesale, and HAS to sell them at retail (whatever that is in the market you're in at the moment).  Otherwise, he's not a dealer, he's a hobbyist and is making his living some other way than selling motorcycles.

IF the "trade-in" value offered is ABOVE the wholesale value of the bike, then the dealer will compensate by selling ABOVE the actual cash retail value of the bike.   

It's fine to "trade-in" a bike IF you hate selling them yourself.   It's worth it to some people.   But don't fool yourself.   When you "trade-in" a bike, you are paying the dealer $1000 or $2000 or so to sell your bike for you so you don't have to do it.   

And for a "spur-of-the-moment" impulse buy, the pleasure of riding in to the shop on one bike and riding out on a new one may be worth the premium .....  But it IS a premium.   
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »

It's fine to "trade-in" a bike IF you hate selling them yourself.   It's worth it to some people.   But don't fool yourself.   When you "trade-in" a bike, you are paying the dealer $1000 or $2000 or so to sell your bike for you so you don't have to do it.   

And for a "spur-of-the-moment" impulse buy, the pleasure of riding in to the shop on one bike and riding out on a new one may be worth the premium .....  But it IS a premium.   

:+1
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Cheese

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »
Up here in the tax haven of NY, when you trade, your sale price is reduced by the trades value, and so is the tax. So if you sell the bike yourself for the same price as you are offered in trade, you loose some money. Not sure about the structure of the Guzzi "rebate" or how it's written though..

Peter

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:35 AM »
Up here in the tax haven of NY, when you trade, your sale price is reduced by the trades value, and so is the tax. So if you sell the bike yourself for the same price as you are offered in trade, you loose some money. Not sure about the structure of the Guzzi "rebate" or how it's written though..

Peter

Playing tax games might be a way to save some money in those states.   Given that the difference between wholesale and retail might be thousands, however, it'd have to be an awful lot of tax ....  !

Lannis

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 11:04:08 PM »
There's a lot to like about the new Duc Scrambler!

Hell, it could almost get me to buy a Duc for myself...

:+1 I agree and I've been spending a little time on the Ducati Scrambler Forum gathering more info on it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:05:15 PM by kirkemon »
Kirk

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 08:13:51 AM »
Just to play devils advocate, but I'm not sure $5200 was that crazy.

My buddy bought a new Multistrada 1200 Touring in 2010.  He paid $20K for it.
Last week he stopped by the Duc dealer to look at a new Diavel.  Another $20K bike.
They offered him $9K in trade.  45% of his original retail.

I'm not sure what you paid for the Norge.  But if you paid $14K an offer of around $6K would be
similar depreciation to his Duc. 

Plus you are trading on a $10K bike, not a $20K bike.
And my buddies Duc is a year newer.

Just saying, it wasn't that bad an offer.

M

1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »

I'm not sure what you paid for the Norge.  But if you paid $14K an offer of around $6K would be

Just keep in mind that the Ducati didn't depreciate from $20K to $9K.   The $20K is a full retail figure.   The $9K is the wholesale figure minus the dealer's cost to sell it.   Apples to oranges in this case .....  ;-T

Lannis

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 08:47:52 AM »
Playing tax games might be a way to save some money in those states.   Given that the difference between wholesale and retail might be thousands, however, it'd have to be an awful lot of tax ....  !

Lannis

Exactly. In this case the savings is about $495.00. Of course the question is, how much can the seller of the above Norge get on the open market and how quickly will that sale take place? And can he get more than $5,700 for the Norge?  

I have also considered the above on my Norge and decided that I like the bike and while it has its faults and the new Norge model (or insert whatever is the latest) is clearly better, I am just going to continue to ride mine.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
Just to play devils advocate, but I'm not sure $5200 was that crazy.

My buddy bought a new Multistrada 1200 Touring in 2010.  He paid $20K for it.
Last week he stopped by the Duc dealer to look at a new Diavel.  Another $20K bike.
They offered him $9K in trade.  45% of his original retail.

Plus you are trading on a $10K bike, not a $20K bike.
And my buddies Duc is a year newer.

Just saying, it wasn't that bad an offer.

M

50% +/- depreciation over five years is pretty normal...  For cars and motorcycles, and probably boats, RVs and everything except maybe Harleys and Jeeps.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 02:08:40 PM »
The dealer makes money on the trade=in and money on the sale of a bike.  The use of KBB is a marketing tool for sales based on numbers.  NADA is based on reported sales by member dealers.  Either will give you skewed results based on their data.  You as an informed consumer do the best you can and bend over when buying new. 

A new vehicle doesn't have to leave a dealer to lose "value".  Zero miles on the bike and left sitting at a dealership.  Title gets changed into you name.  Booooom!  The bike is used before moving off the lot.  Keep the MSO and put some mileage on the bike.  It's still new with mileage.  Of course not feasible but you get the idea.

Don't forget the taxes that have to be paid.  Some states base their license fees on MSRP plus add in sales tax.  Big bucks. :-* :-* :-*
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »
The dealer makes money on the trade=in and money on the sale of a bike.  The use of KBB is a marketing tool for sales based on numbers.  NADA is based on reported sales by member dealers.  Either will give you skewed results based on their data.  You as an informed consumer do the best you can and bend over when buying new. 

A new vehicle doesn't have to leave a dealer to lose "value".  Zero miles on the bike and left sitting at a dealership.  Title gets changed into you name.  Booooom!  The bike is used before moving off the lot.  Keep the MSO and put some mileage on the bike.  It's still new with mileage.  Of course not feasible but you get the idea.

Don't forget the taxes that have to be paid.  Some states base their license fees on MSRP plus add in sales tax.  Big bucks. :-* :-* :-*

Often wondered about that............. Had a peak at a brand new one year old stock BMW a while back.Shop gave me a price that was pretty close to a 2015 model and made it sound like it was a favor Hmmmm? Not sure who would take a run at that one when they will be taking a first season bath on depreciation on a 20K bike before they reach for the pen.

Takes all kinds ........ and I guess they gotta make a living.           ;D

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 06:54:51 PM »
Nosedive?

Broker, realtor and managers tell me this is not the symptom of a "nose dive", merely a  correction. :wife:

Me? I'm quantitatively easing into the new realities.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here