Author Topic: Wildguzzi: low brand snob count...  (Read 27178 times)

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
Wildguzzi: low brand snob count...
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:00:01 AM »
  ;-T I've spent time on a couple (more than a couple) of other motorcycle forums when I've either owned or thought I wanted their brand. Wildguzzi folks are the most tolerant of non brand loyalty. Sometimes with a couple of the other brands I think to myself, do I really want to be a part of this? It really comes down to the test ride though, cuz I really don't give a rat's patootie what others say anymore. (I like to think that) It's easy to get caught up in brand enthusiasm especially in the winter. Kinda like it here. Objective, helpful, mostly tolerant good folks here. ;-T.

Stay safe, John

(Sorry, doesn't mean I won't own another brand :D.)
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wildguzzi: low brand snob count...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:03:24 AM »
It's very unusual to find a Guzzi owner who has not owned other brands...in many cases lots of other brands.  Thus, trashing all the other brands would be like admitting that one was an idiot.....oh, wait, that reminds me of my first wife.  Maybe I better think about this just a bit more.....

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »
this is the best group of experts (on anything) you can find on the web..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Bill Hagan

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 07:33:12 AM »

Not sure about that. 

Heck, I couldn't find anyone who knew squat about 18th & 19th century Pennsylvania-Kantucky rifles.   ;D

Seriously, I usually always do a web search for info before I buy or do something that requires time or money.  But, then, unless there's a y/t video of "how to do X" (and sometimes even then  ;)), I will often get a sanity check here.

The depth and breadth of knowledge here is amazing.  Even Kathi comments on it.

Maybe same is true on [fill-in-the-blank] forums of all sorts, but I know that Guzzisti here almost literally know it all.  Which is good ... because I sure don't.  My only expertise is the development of military law, with an emphasis on the late Renaissance. But I sure am ready when some Guzzista's kids or grandkids have to write a paper for school.   :D

Bill

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 07:33:12 AM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 07:58:15 AM »
Well, yeah.. except for BMWs, Dusty.. ~; ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 07:58:58 AM »
Welcome.  We are a tolerant group and more than happy to share our opinions about motorcycles and life in general.  Ride and buy whatever feels right for you, but if you choose a Guzzi, you'll find WG an invaluable resource. 

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »
Most of us are old farts with more than one career under our belt and more interests than just motorcycles so we're bound to pick up a thing or two. For the real old timers, flintlocks were state of the art when growing up so it's not surprising they know about them.  ::)

For those of us of more "moderate" ages, "dialing a number" means something just a wee bit different. What were we talking about?  :pop
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
  My opinion, not a judgement....Many guys here are far more sophisticated than me. You know, all the talk about owning higher end cars, new trucks , 2000 buck bicycles and new motorcycles. I believe most of you don't do serious work on bikes or cars and take them to dealers. But the different "lifestyle" gives me insight into stuff other than old Jeeps, cutting firewood  vibrating old motorcycles and fabricating with fire and steel..

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »
I agree the amount of knowledge that can be gained on many subjects here on the board is quite amazing and how willing people are to share. For example in the past I have posted some question concerning a firearm and had 20-30 knowledgable responses as compared to posting the same question on a firearm specific site and getting maybe 3-5 responses. (okay, I will admit that some of the firearm related boards consider me a flaming liberal and probably refuse to respond. ;D). Anyway this site is great for learning about motorcycles to the best way to get rid of mice!
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »
  My opinion, not a judgement....Many guys here are far more sophisticated than me. You know, all the talk about owning higher end cars, new trucks , 2000 buck bicycles and new motorcycles. I believe most of you don't do serious work on bikes or cars and take them to dealers. But the different "lifestyle" gives me insight into stuff other than old Jeeps, cutting firewood  vibrating old motorcycles and fabricating with fire and steel..
I think there's a nice mix of folks here from different walks of life. Too old to think we know it all and too young to have forgotten it yet.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 09:26:51 AM »
It's very unusual to find a Guzzi owner who has not owned other brands...in many cases lots of other brands.  Thus, trashing all the other brands would be like admitting that one was an idiot.....oh, wait, that reminds me of my first wife.  Maybe I better think about this just a bit more.....

Peter Y.

First wives is a Verboten Subject -- at least until I get half a bottle of Grappa in me    :wife:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:34:02 AM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »

That's true, too, but to most people, an "expert" is someone ELSE that we've heard about or admire and that we appeal to when we want to know something; and that applying the description to oneself is somehow bragging.   It's not.   There are very many genuine experts on some phase of life, motorcycling, etc on here that don't think of themselves as such .... but they are.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »
That's true, too, but to most people, an "expert" is someone ELSE that we've heard about or admire and that we appeal to when we want to know something; and that applying the description to oneself is somehow bragging.   It's not.   There are very many genuine experts on some phase of life, motorcycling, etc on here that don't think of themselves as such .... but they are.

Lannis

Absolutely. Now that we've all had a collective pat on the back, back to beemer bashing.. ~; :BEER:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »
  ;-T I've spent time on a couple (more than a couple) of other motorcycle forums when I've either owned or thought I wanted their brand. Wildguzzi folks are the most tolerant of non brand loyalty. Sometimes with a couple of the other brands I think to myself, do I really want to be a part of this? It really comes down to the test ride though, cuz I really don't give a rat's patootie what others say anymore. (I like to think that) It's easy to get caught up in brand enthusiasm especially in the winter. Kinda like it here. Objective, helpful, mostly tolerant good folks here. ;-T.

Stay safe, John

(Sorry, doesn't mean I won't own another brand :D.)

I think it has something about owning a Guzzi is like living in a glass house.   ;D    We're old enough to know better than to throw stones.   ;)
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 10:35:14 AM »

I've certainly found this to be true - no kidding <shrug>
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

kirby1923

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 10:49:58 AM »
This from a bmw forum that I visit occasionally!

correct????

What about Moto Guzzi?

Postby cclxxxz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:14 pm

I'm an old rider and a fairly recent Rockster purchaser (June 2013). I love this scoot; the handling is amazing but then again I may be comparing it to my other ride, a 1990 VMax. By that standard, an African bull elephant would be considered nimble. But I digress....

A colleague says that when you get too weird to own a BMW, you buy a Moto Guzzi. He offers no explanation. Is he correct?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:08:16 AM by kirby1923 »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »

correct????

What about Moto Guzzi?

I'm an old rider and a fairly recent Rockster purchaser (June 2013). I love this scoot; the handling is amazing but then again I may be comparing it to my other ride, a 1990 VMax. By that standard, an African bull elephant would be considered nimble. But I digress....

A colleague says that when you get too weird to own a BMW, you buy a Moto Guzzi. He offers no explanation. Is he correct?

;D ;D True, true...

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Cheese

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 10:58:45 AM »

correct????

What about Moto Guzzi?

You mean when BMW gets too weird?

kirby1923

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »
Yo Mike , weird ? Us  ??? Shirley not . What , SQUIRREL  ;D

Dusty

Always have traveled a different? path

mike :-)

Edit:
From the looks of his call sign, he is well on the way!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:13:16 AM by kirby1923 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 11:18:15 AM »
I dunno man. I'm not doubting the depth and breadth of knowledge on this board. Or even the fact that MOST here are relatively tolerant of other brands.

But I just checked and after what, a decade, I'm up to THIRTY IGNORES from people who, from what I can tell, mostly didn't like the fact that I don't like other brand bashing and chose to defend mostly Harley, but sometimes BMW or Triumph or one of my other interests.

Maybe we've gotten more tolerant over the decade... but you still find a BMW or Harley bash thread once in a while... or maybe it's just a post or two.

<shrugs>

Not complaining, just not joining in the complete hug-fest.

Just for the point of conversation, WHAT pray-tell do you call "serious"?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »
BMW got too weird for me, so I bought a Guzzi... And it probably won't be my last!
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 11:25:09 AM »

I like this^,  ;-T I've got a couple of die hard BMW riding buddies from when I had that affliction who will get a kick out of this.  ;)
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »
BMW.... the Harley of German sport touring. What do I mean by that. Well it's open to interpretation.

I think there is a great mix here from relatively young to well aged. Those who do the work themselves and those who have others do it for them. I cannot afford to have others do work for me especially when I worry they might do a worse job than I would do myself. At-least  when I cross thread a bolt I fix it rather than tighten her down and leave it for the next sucker who works on it. I know a little bit about allot of things and there is allot I know very little about. I do love this forum even Lannis and crusty. All you guys are ok in my book for what it's worth.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 11:27:30 AM »
BMW.... the Harley of German sport touring. What do I mean by that. Well it's open to interpretation.

See when I bought my Jackal I was convinced (maybe I still am) that Guzzi was the bastard, red-headed, step-child of BMW and Harley.

But that didn't make me any friends here either.  :BEER:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »
I dunno man. I'm not doubting the depth and breadth of knowledge on this board. Or even the fact that MOST here are relatively tolerant of other brands.

But I just checked and after what, a decade, I'm up to THIRTY IGNORES from people who, from what I can tell, mostly didn't like the fact that I don't like other brand bashing and chose to defend mostly Harley, but sometimes BMW or Triumph or one of my other interests.

Go figure. I never would have guessed, 30 ignores. When I see a post by you it actually draws me to it. I find myself in agreement more often than not. I too just plain like motorcycles and although many are not for me I fully understand how one I don't like could very well be just right for someone else.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »

;-T    ;-T     ;-T     ;-T      ;-T

Rick.

"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
I too just plain like motorcycles and although many are not for me I fully understand how one I don't like could very well be just right for someone else.

;-T  YUP, I love bikes... even the ones I don't like.  :BEER:   :D ;-T
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »

Just for the point of conversation, WHAT pray-tell do you call "serious"?

Internal engine work and or building bikes/vehicles from piles of parts....not that it matters or makes more of a man out you  ;D

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 11:49:27 AM »
See when I bought my Jackal I was convinced (maybe I still am) that Guzzi was the bastard, red-headed, step-child of BMW and Harley.

But that didn't make me any friends here either.  :BEER:

Some Harley took advantage of a cute little war time BMW and 9 months later a red head Guzzi was born. Must be why I like them so much I like things about Harley's I like things about BMW's. Guzzi mashes most of the things I like about each brand into one Italian motoring machine.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 11:53:10 AM »
Actually, I've always thought that Guzzi was a mixture of the things I like about Harley and gasp BMW.. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here