Author Topic: Test ride on a 2016 HD Roadster today...  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
Test ride on a 2016 HD Roadster today...
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:50:59 PM »
I have ridden an Iron 883 and a 1200 Custom (with the fat tires). I was surprised to dislike the Custom as much as I did. It didn't work for me. The Roadster caught my attention right away. So I was in the local dealer today and someone else took one out for a test ride. The salesman asked if I wanted to ride it. Yup. Brakes?- excellent. Cornering clearance?- best of the Sportsters, no complaints at all. Motor?- always liked the Sportster motor. Ergonomics?- at 5'3" 135 a set of 48 bars would most likely make it work for me. Aerodynamics?- Dart Flyscreen or HD 1/4 Fairing would come quickly. Exhaust?- I like quiet performance but I don't like getting burned, so I would want a D&D Bobcat to get it away from my leg at stops. Tin?- euro rear plate mount and tail light is more to my liking, and so is the larger 4.5 gallon tank of the Custom. Came away liking it actually. Until... I rode away on my '09 Norge! Truly an 'ahhh this is better' moment. I still want to own one Harley before it's over and the Roadster is at the top of the heap but probably not as an only motorcycle, for me anyway.

Stay safe, John
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

elvisboy77

Re: Test ride on a 2016 HD Roadster today...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 09:21:39 PM »
Great story, I get it.  That's how I wound up with my Eldorado!

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:50:59 PM »
I love that bike.  Sat on one haven't ridden it yet.  Similar range to the 2004 Lemans, similar engine and brakes.  Little more relaxed riding position.  I wonder if it could replace the Lemans when I get rid of it?

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »
I love that bike.    I wonder if it could replace the Lemans when I get rid of it?
LOL!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:14:35 PM »
Seriously they feel similar in size weight, inverted fork, double disc, lots of lean angle, light wheels.  Looks are really deceiving on this Harley.  It looks like it could be ridden hard.  Needs different foot pegs or mild rear sets and then look out

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:30:11 PM »
Ride a new triumph Thruxton
Should put HD out of business
But schwinn should have put Harley out of business.
HD has yet to make a product that interests me
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:03:58 AM by drlapo »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 10:16:17 AM »
I love that bike.  Sat on one haven't ridden it yet.  Similar range to the 2004 Lemans, similar engine and brakes.  Little more relaxed riding position.  I wonder if it could replace the Lemans when I get rid of it?

Seriously they feel similar in size weight, inverted fork, double disc, lots of lean angle, light wheels.  Looks are really deceiving on this Harley.  It looks like it could be ridden hard.  Needs different foot pegs or mild rear sets and then look out

d00d.  You can't be serious...   :shocked:

The Sportster is 50+ lbs heavier.  Has half the rear suspension travel of the V11 LeMans.  Etc., Etc...

I like Sportsters.  Have owned two.  Would not consider a Sportster as a "replacement" for a V11 Lemans.

Horses for Courses.  There are reasons Quarter Horses and Clydesdales don't run with the Thoroughbreds for the triple crown.  There are also reasons why those Thoroughbreds don't herd cows and run 1/4-mile, or pull beer wagons...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 10:30:49 AM »
I was attracted to the Roadster, nice bike - at least on the showroom floor. Same with the R. But they fill the same niche as the Griso and I think the Griso does a better job at it. But if I had more money and space......
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:05:59 AM »
I'm sure the Thruxton R is the ticket.  But its 4k more than the Harley!

I bet I could keep up with any stock Lemans on the Roadster.  Now if you will excuse me I got a new GoPro for fathers day and have to put it on the Lemans for a big ride! 

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
I was attracted to the Roadster, nice bike - at least on the showroom floor. Same with the R. But they fill the same niche as the Griso and I think the Griso does a better job at it. But if I had more money and space......

Well, the suspension is arguably the best HD has put on a Sportster in some time.  Every bit as comfortable as my Griso - to a point.  That point is about 80 mph.  After that, no contest.  However, I'm finding this incarnation of the Sportster pretty entertaining.

Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
I still want the new Roadster.

A Griso? Not as much.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 03:23:30 PM »
I still want the new Roadster.

A Griso? Not as much.

Yes...But I have never ridden a Griso.....I owned a much modified 63 Sporty a long time ago..It was fast and brutal.....The I sorta fell into the Sporty is a girls bike or an agricultural pile of junk....Then I rode a friend;'s Buell and a few weeks later bought a 97 Buell. A nicely tuned 1200 rubber mounted Sportster is a pretty fine thing..
 But I still need to ride a Griso...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 03:27:24 PM »
  Yes...But I have never ridden a Griso.....I owned a much modified 63 Sporty a long time ago..It was fast and brutal.....The I sorta fell into the Sporty is a girls bike or an agricultural pile of junk....Then I rode a friend;'s Buell and a few weeks later bought a 97 Buell. A nicely tuned 1200 rubber mounted Sportster is a pretty fine thing..
 But I still need to ride a Griso...

I have, and it (Griso) is a wonderful thing.

Actually it was very similar to my Buell S3T when it came down to it.

I still want the new CX!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »

I bet I could keep up with any stock Lemans on the Roadster. Now if you will excuse me I got a new GoPro for fathers day and have to put it on the Lemans for a big ride!

I bet you had better be a pretty darn good rider..  :smiley: Now if it's on a straight road, pfffft.. kids can do that. :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 03:45:42 PM »

I bet I could keep up with any stock Lemans on the Roadster.  Now if you will excuse me I got a new GoPro for fathers day and have to put it on the Lemans for a big ride!

Hate to break it to you DL, but any V11 Sport variant will eat the Roadster's lunch.  The Sporty just doesn't have the speed the Guzzi V11s do.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here