Author Topic: It's always something that puts a nix to buying a Harley...  (Read 9957 times)

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
It's always something that puts a nix to buying a Harley...
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:28:10 PM »
26 motorcycles and never a Harley... I really thought the new Roadster was the one. I overcame lots of obstacles on the bike with minor mods (in my head and on paper). Now I find out tire mileage is 4-5 thousand miles, been there done that don't want to do it again. Very limited choices for now due to odd sized rear (and expensive). So I guess I'll throw some money at the Norge. Suspension, maybe a seat and I'll settle into being content again. Still have to sort the intermittent service light/triangle issue. I'll install a new oil pressure sensor over the winter. Winter is here where I am, the plows have been out and they've salted the roads :tongue:. It's easier to think logically when riding season is over :huh:. I guess...
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: It's always something that puts a nix to buying a Harley...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:30:57 PM »
if like me you would be disappointed in the Harley anyway..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:40:52 PM »
A couple of my Harley riding buddies said the same thing. At 5'3" and 131# it will be a good time to try a shorter rear shock from Guzzi-tech along with their fork upgrade :cool:.
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »
Norge vs Sporster?

:shocked:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 09:06:24 PM »
Norge vs Sporster?

I could live with a Sportster if the fuel tank was big enough....but really, I like hanging out with the Guzzi crowd.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:09:56 PM »
...but really, I like hanging out with the Guzzi crowd.

Yup, me too.

Norge vs Sporster?

Ridden the new Roadster? I did and liked it  :drool:.  When it comes to two wheels I'm pretty easy to please, I like most  :bike-037:. Living with them long term is another story...when funds are limited... Oh well.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »
 Owning a Harley would be OK , but then there are all those doo rags to buy  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:26:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have HD out of my system.....unless I can get an Evo FLHP for a song...... :police:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 09:39:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have HD out of my system.....unless I can get an Evo FLHP for a song...... :police:

I can see Gomer yelling "Citizen's Arrest!"

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:41:44 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 10:11:40 PM »
I can see Gomer yelling "Citizen's Arrest!"

That's Andy and Barney.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 10:18:30 PM »
yep i am in the same boat , there was always something that stopped me from buying a Harley...and i would like to thank that something whatever is was  :whip2:
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 02:49:14 AM »
I dunno. I have a Sportster and it got the lions share of the mileage this summer. Yes, I do have 4 bikes to share the riding duties, but it is my favorite bike I have ever owned for in town, short ride, play time. I also don't buy into the image stuff. I dont  have a dew rag, I don't wear chaps, I don't have a club vest etc. I enjoy the bike and I appreciate it.  Which is why having several bikes is cool. They can have different strengths and weaknesses and still be fun depending on the image that day.

I test rode a Roadster this summer and loved it, other than those mid controls. At 5'10" I was still crunched up. I would have to do a rear set on it or something.

redrider

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 05:18:46 AM »
Body style and life style are the bag of nopes for me.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 06:31:40 AM »
26 motorcycles and never a Harley... I really thought the new Roadster was the one. I overcame lots of obstacles on the bike with minor mods (in my head and on paper). Now I find out tire mileage is 4-5 thousand miles, been there done that don't want to do it again. Very limited choices for now due to odd sized rear (and expensive).

Sounds like you were just looking for an excuse not to buy it.

First it was the fender (that owners said worked fine).

Then it was something about finding the right color with ABS.

Then it was TIRE MILEAGE from what, one report on your XL thread? Because others have gotten much more.

First reply to your thread said he got 8k. That's pretty good.

Let's remember that some people are reporting 3-5k on the Pirelli Sport Demons that come stock on a V7 too.

There are trade offs - do you want mileage or stick? If you want mileage go with a higher mileage touring tire.

My first google search on the subject suggests there are a number of options of touring tires for the 150/70-18 on the CX including Pirelli, Avon, and Michelin:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/589/d/cruiser-motorcycle-blackwall-tires?N=4294963716+4294963681+4294963527&source=tire-picker

Granted you might have to switch to Bias Ply, but that should be fine on this chassis and probably more likely to net you the mileage for which you're looking.

Avon Cobra - $165
Pirelli Night Dragon - $175
Michelin Commander II - $196

I bet you'd get 8-10k on those, especially with your relatively light load.

Or you can go cheap:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10979559/d/street-bike-tires?N=4294963527+4294963716+4294963681&source=tire-picker

Avon RoadRider  - $113
Bridgestone Battleax - $130
IRC Road Winner - $120
Continental Conti Go - $135

Or do you want to listen to the guy on your thread that said he's changing to 160/60 - 18 for more selection:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/121/d/street-bike-sport-touring-tires?N=4294963541+4294963717+4294963681&source=tire-picker

Pirelli Angel GT (good tire, Jenn has on her Duc) - Radial - $147
Metzler Road Tec - Radial - $119
Michelin Polit Road 3 - Radial - $167
Avon Storm 3D - Radial - $158
Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart - Radial - $136
Bridgestone Battleax - Radial - $141
Continental Road Attack - Radial - $170

OR you could go down a size (140/70-18) I went down from a 150 to a 140 for quicker breakover on my Rubbermount Sportys years ago:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/12107/i/avon-am26-roadrider-rear-tire

Point is there's a solution. At the size and weight and power of the Sporty, it's not really any different from your tire selections for a CARC (like my old Breva). You have to decide what your priorities are.

But like I said, you've convinced yourself you don't want this bike, so it's probably no reason to pursue it.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 08:10:19 AM »
Thanks Kev, really, I work very slow with a computer, IPad, iPhone ect.. and you save me lots of time. The biggest discussions on the tire issue are on the HD forum where they don't consider bias tires. So anyway, what worries me about bias tires is my riding style, we'll call it brisk. My local roads are technical, mostly very low traffic volume and I'm content to hold my straightaway speeds to just over 60. When I'm in "brisk" mode I'm alone (except for my dog). I don't like group rides, but I do enjoy trips and motorcycle camping, hence the desire for higher mileage (and stickiness). Most Sportsters of late model vintage quite frankly don't turn (or stop) like I'd like, the Roadster addressed that. A sport touring radial would work since it's NOT a race bike. Neither is the Norge. Don't want one. Gotta believe tire manufacturers will produce the tire I and others desire at some point. After all, we're talking Harley...
        Again, thanks for everybody's input. My local dealer is sitting on a silver ABS model with expectations of me purchasing it. It usually takes me some 15K miles to figure out if a bike will work or not for me, throwing money at it throughout those miles. With this one I gotta believe I'd take a nasty hit on the resale. The Norge was a 2 year leftover and it worked out pretty well. Gettin' on in years, and this habit is expensive, but man, it's a huge part of who I am :grin:. Can't/don't want to house/maintain more than one motorcycle. It'll work out one way or the other. It's all good!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »
Thanks Kev, really, I work very slow with a computer, IPad, iPhone ect.. and you save me lots of time. The biggest discussions on the tire issue are on the HD forum where they don't consider bias tires. So anyway, what worries me about bias tires is my riding style, we'll call it brisk. My local roads are technical, mostly very low traffic volume and I'm content to hold my straightaway speeds to just over 60. When I'm in "brisk" mode I'm alone (except for my dog). I don't like group rides, but I do enjoy trips and motorcycle camping, hence the desire for higher mileage (and stickiness). Most Sportsters of late model vintage quite frankly don't turn (or stop) like I'd like, the Roadster addressed that. A sport touring radial would work since it's NOT a race bike. Neither is the Norge. Don't want one. Gotta believe tire manufacturers will produce the tire I and others desire at some point. After all, we're talking Harley...

Hey, it's all good on this end too whatever you decide I hope you find your bliss.

FWIW, I'm a bit of a Sportster nut, and I've ridden a lot of different versions of the rubbermount chassis (from lowered to sport, from Iron 883 to XR1200) etc.

You might be surprised at what the current models are capable of, even the non CX. Take my XLr for instance. It started life as a 1200 Low, but I've raised it, added dual discs, and basically everything that a 1200R of the same year would have. I run bias-plys on it, and ask StormTruck about it since he borrowed it for a weekend chasing Bill Hagan through the twisties on his Griso.

I push the XLr to the limits of the chassis and have not had a problem with Metzeler bias-ply touring tires.

Yeah, it's never going to stick as long or as hard as Jenn's Duc on the Pirelli Angel GTs, but I've never had a problem keeping up with (or outriding) the average street rider (some better than average too) on it.

I don't get the impression you're more aggressive than that? Maybe you are... and if so maybe you need more tire/bike.

But I don't recall my B1100 having anything on the 1200Lr except possibly a little ground clearance and a tad lighter feel.

Again - have fun!

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

elvisboy77

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 08:34:32 AM »
yep i am in the same boat , there was always something that stopped me from buying a Harley...and i would like to thank that something whatever is was  :whip2:

Same here, always something better elsewhere.

elvisboy77

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 08:37:13 AM »
        Again, thanks for everybody's input. My local dealer is sitting on a silver ABS model with expectations of me purchasing it. It usually takes me some 15K miles to figure out if a bike will work or not for me, throwing money at it throughout those miles. With this one I gotta believe I'd take a nasty hit on the resale. The Norge was a 2 year leftover and it worked out pretty well. Gettin' on in years, and this habit is expensive, but man, it's a huge part of who I am :grin:. Can't/don't want to house/maintain more than one motorcycle. It'll work out one way or the other. It's all good!

I have to say if you are looking for performance- handling and braking, you are better off with a Guzzi.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 08:57:52 AM »
Owning a Harley would be OK , but then there are all those doo rags to buy  :laugh:

Dusty
Not to mention a truck/trailer.
And HD tires must have the bar/shield logo on them.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »
Harley and Guzzi both make great bikes. Some of the little things that are great on a Harley:  self canceling turn signals, paint quality, dealer network, low end torque and engine "feel," touring bikes are well designed for long distance comfort of both rider and passenger.  Great things on Guzzi: balance and handling, engine layout and accessibility. I own both and love both. A stock tire that only gets 4-5K would not impact my buying decision on any bike.
1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello, 2023 Vespa Primavera

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:20 AM »
Harley and Guzzi both make great bikes. Some of the little things that are great on a Harley:  self canceling turn signals, paint quality, dealer network, low end torque and engine "feel," touring bikes are well designed for long distance comfort of both rider and passenger.  Great things on Guzzi: balance and handling, engine layout and accessibility.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

elvisboy77

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »
Harley and Guzzi both make great bikes. Some of the little things that are great on a Harley:  self canceling turn signals, paint quality, dealer network, low end torque and engine "feel," touring bikes are well designed for long distance comfort of both rider and passenger.  Great things on Guzzi: balance and handling, engine layout and accessibility. I own both and love both. A stock tire that only gets 4-5K would not impact my buying decision on any bike.

Ummm my Eldorado has self cancelling turn signals, you need to upgrade to one!!!!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 01:01:25 PM »
Ummm my Eldorado has self cancelling turn signals, you need to upgrade to one!!!!

Only 20+ years after Harley on that one. Congrats.  :boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »

Glad to hear that, my V7II does not, and that's ok too. It's my favorite bike.

Offline lwbdriver

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 01:28:07 PM »
I sold my 94 Sportster to get a Quota. In all fairness, I only had the Sportster a few months, but I quite enjoyed it around town...not so much on the freeway. I have owned 30+ bikes over the years since 1971, mostly Japanese with 3 BMW's thrown in. Only one Harley. I am enjoying the Quota much more on the freeway than the Sportster plus the Quota can handle the dirt roads and fire roads around here. This is my first Guzzi, but it will not be my last. A LeMans or Daytona is on my wish list.

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »
I recently went on a trip to Utah with some buddies that all were riding Harleys, I rode my 13 Stelvio. I really liked a couple of the guys newer "14 and 15" street glides and really though serious about adding one to my stable. We've been back for a bit now and I went riding with two of them yesterday, after lunch and getting ready to do the 65 mile back home my friend says he has never ridden an adventure bike and would I like swap to try his 14 street glide on the ride home. I say of course and we take off. Holy crap! it rides like a garbage truck, every friggin bump in the road gets transferred to your spine making me dread every mile. Stuff i don't even notice on the Guzzi pounds my back like it a damn hard tail. His bike just turned 9k miles so none of this is from worn out high mile shocks. He said his wife won't ride on it and is looking into some high end shocks that are supposed to help but don't increase travel so I'm very skeptical it will help much. All this makes me love my Stelvio more. Just saved myself $24K

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 05:18:07 PM »
Adventure bikes are wonderful. But my experience is that passengers are super comfy on a Harley Electraglide over distance. I'm comfy riding one and quite enjoy the sound system that includes Sirius XM, the wind protection, the seating (with rider backrest), the navigation screen, the floorboards and the luggage space. Professional reviewers almost always rank the Electraglide near the top in comparisons. I avoid rough roads when touring. When not touring I pick another bike. But the Stelvio is a one-bike-does-all solution.

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
I'm from a Harley family. Literally every male that I know and most of the women in my family currently own (or at one time owned in the case of some of my elders) a Harley since my great grandfather's teenage years.....so we are talking back to the very early 1910's-ish. I'm the black sheep of our Harley family. I have owned a few bikes but never found a Harley I liked well enough to buy. Besides my current V7, owned Hondas and one red bike of no particular brand but with a Japanese lineage. 

I do like the looks of the current MG Eldorado. I haven't swung a leg over one yet but hope to one day. I've never owned two bikes at the same time so I'm not quite sure how my car will take to being banished to the driveway.   
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
 ― Robert Pirsig

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 06:07:31 PM »
I have never ridden a Harley and never plan to, unless maybe a used Buel, unless they still shake just off idle like that 1`96? demo I rode once?  But saw a used HD 1200 trike I considered for the wife....until I squeezed the clutch lever;  :evil: jeezus the hardest pulling clutch lever I've ever experienced on ANY bike !!  :rolleyes:  That was the end of that ride test. Even I couldn't live with that.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:48:34 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
Over here Harley riders are looked on as bottom of the heap. They're rarely long term motorcyclists, but accountants and bankers who've suffered a midlife crisis. They buy a lot of chrome polish, ride very slowly in packs and park outside fashionable restaurants rather than frequent biker cafes.
And that's what puts a nix on buying a Harley  in the UK.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here