Author Topic: It's always something that puts a nix to buying a Harley...  (Read 9884 times)

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
Re: It's always something that puts a nix to buying a Harley...
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 06:27:43 PM »
One of the guys in my riding group who rides a speed triple recently said he wants to buy a Harley. My first thought was we will never get anywhere because the Harley will want to stop at every bar it passes.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 06:46:05 PM »
I recently went on a trip to Utah with some buddies that all were riding Harleys, I rode my 13 Stelvio. I really liked a couple of the guys newer "14 and 15" street glides and really though serious about adding one to my stable. We've been back for a bit now and I went riding with two of them yesterday, after lunch and getting ready to do the 65 mile back home my friend says he has never ridden an adventure bike and would I like swap to try his 14 street glide on the ride home. I say of course and we take off. Holy crap! it rides like a garbage truck, every friggin bump in the road gets transferred to your spine making me dread every mile. Stuff i don't even notice on the Guzzi pounds my back like it a damn hard tail. His bike just turned 9k miles so none of this is from worn out high mile shocks. He said his wife won't ride on it and is looking into some high end shocks that are supposed to help but don't increase travel so I'm very skeptical it will help much. All this makes me love my Stelvio more. Just saved myself $24K
Of course some Harleys are lowered with short suspensions and don't ride as nice as the normal height models.

Can't say off the top of my head about the SG, but wouldn't be surprised.

My RK was a magic carpet ride.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 02:56:12 AM »
Over here Harley riders are looked on as bottom of the heap. They're rarely long term motorcyclists, but accountants and bankers who've suffered a midlife crisis. They buy a lot of chrome polish, ride very slowly in packs and park outside fashionable restaurants rather than frequent biker cafes.
And that's what puts a nix on buying a Harley  in the UK.

Ohhh - they're going to come and get you!!

For all I know Harley might make a very fine motorcycle, but I have no desire to join the clan
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2016, 07:05:47 AM »
Ummm my Eldorado has self cancelling turn signals, you need to upgrade to one!!!!

But the ones on a Harley actually work.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2016, 07:05:47 AM »

elvisboy77

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 08:08:41 AM »

The self cancelling feature on my Eldorado works great, too.  If yours doesnt then you should get it looked after.

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 08:39:44 AM »
 Why would anybody buy a Harley Davidson with so few dealerships around the country........... Oh.... it not Harley I was thinking about with the lack of dealer support. ;-)

We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 08:56:51 AM »
Harley's are nice. Well made, handsome, and depending on which one, can be comfortable and/or decent handling. I like them okay, but the price is a little dear for what you get and the weight tends to be too high and the cornering clearance too low. For my riding style, a Harley is not a good value...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »
The only Harley I would love to own would be the VSCR Street Rod, not the VROD.  The SR is a modified VR that was only available for a couple of years and the main difference being the foot pegs are mid-mounted vs. forward on the VR.  The engine was co-developed from Porsche and isn't the typical Harley engine of that generation either.  Harley quickly realized that this particular type of bike wasn't what their demographic wanted and quickly axed it after only selling a few thousand of these.  Too bad too, because it has some respectable street cred when it comes to canyon carving. 

In fact, as soon as I find one whose owner hasn't lost his mind on price, I will own one (still waiting for that to happen). 

06 Breva 1100

Married, 3.5 kids, and very blessed.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »
Harley's are nice. Well made, handsome, and depending on which one, can be comfortable and/or decent handling. I like them okay, but the price is a little dear for what you get and the weight tends to be too high and the cornering clearance too low.

These are two things I hear pretty frequently. Sometimes the answer is people are just not comparing apples-to-apples and/or looking at only one model.

There's no argument there are some outrageously priced Harleys.

There's no argument that there are some pretty low models with little cornering clearance.

BUT MOST Harleys are pretty competitively priced. I've done this too many times to bother again, but look at an 883 SuperLow or Iron and compare it to a V7 Stone/Special or V9 Bobber on price and what you get, they're pretty compatible.

Do the same with a 1200C or 1200CX Roadster and late-model CARC.

Do the same with a Dyna and a Road King vs. the Cali Variants. I mean sure you can get a 1400C (stripped of things like a bag and windshield) for less than an RK, but then it's not really competing with an RK at that point, now compare it to a Dyna Low Rider and the prices aren't that far off.

And this is across the board, Harley to other brands, for as long as I've been watching the products (meaning more than 20 years).

Now that said if you don't care about the traits of the Harley (fit, finish, comfort, stability, super low maintenance, accessories at the waazoo/dealers everywhere) you can surely find something from a different manufacturer that prioritizes lighter weight, more hp but less efficiency or at least more maintenance, plastic over metal, for likely a lower price. But that's not really comparing apples-to-apples, which is cool if that's what you want, but saying the Harley is heavy or pricey at that point sorta misses the point. That's like saying a Silverado is heavy compared to a Miata - yeah, sure, and the sky is still blue.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 10:04:06 AM »
 Oh yeah , those Sportster Superlows and Irons have all kinds of cornering clearance and suspension travel  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
Oh yeah , those Sportster Superlows and Irons have all kinds of cornering clearance and suspension travel  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

You know damn well I wasn't talking about them.

But remember, my 1200Lr started life as a 1200 Low... it doesn't take much more than a set of shocks (these are take-off Progressive 412s that lived on my Jackal for 4-5 years) and a set of longer fork damper rods ($40) to raise the height of a Low to what is currently higher than a 1200R.

But that very same year you could buy a Base 883, an 883C, 1200C, XL50 Anniversary Sporty, and 1200R ALL at a decent ride height with decent cornering clearance.

The existence of bikes like the SuperLow, Iron, or 48 doesn't mean there aren't others that corner.

And hell, there are people who take the SuperLow, or Iron, or 48 and RAISE THEM too...  :bike-037:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 11:28:18 AM »

The ones on my BMW F800GT work...... sometimes  :sad:
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »
The only Harley I would love to own would be the VSCR Street Rod, not the VROD.  The SR is a modified VR that was only available for a couple of years and the main difference being the foot pegs are mid-mounted vs. forward on the VR.  The engine was co-developed from Porsche and isn't the typical Harley engine of that generation either.
Yeah, the Street Rod is on my list of Harleys that I'd like to at least test ride, along with the XR1200(X) and the new Roadster.    There is a lot to like about all three models, and all are bikes I could see myself owning.
  Harley quickly realized that this particular type of bike wasn't what their demographic wanted and quickly axed it after only selling a few thousand of these.  Too bad too, because it has some respectable street cred when it comes to canyon carving. 

The XR1200X met the same fate.   I can also see this happening to the new Roadster, so, anyone that wants on should get one while they can.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »
I can also see this happening to the new Roadster, so, anyone that wants on should get one while they can.

I'm working on it damnit...  :evil: :boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »
I wish I could start a poll:

This being a Moto Guzzi Board, Harley bashing is:

a) tolerated.

b) encouraged.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2016, 12:17:16 PM »
Owning a Harley would be OK , but then there are all those doo rags to buy  :laugh:

Dusty
Must also consider the cost of those flame tattoos on your arms.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2016, 01:11:56 PM »
I'm working on it damnit...  :evil: :boozing:

I'd like to ride a roadster. If the leg position is tolerable, I would own one.  It is nicely appointed and looks absolutely gorgeous.
'73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, '16 Moto Guzzi Stornello, '14 Harley Ultra Classic, '12 Harley Wide Glide, '97 Honda XR600R

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2016, 02:33:01 PM »
I wish I could start a poll:

This being a Moto Guzzi Board, Harley bashing is:

a) tolerated.

b) encouraged.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Or C ) mandatory  :evil:

Seriously , haven't seen any real Harley bashing , of course ya gotta be careful , some of these guys are a bit sensitive  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Red Dog

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
So a lot of times I will see a harley & the first thought I have is: "Good lookin bike".
Then I start to really look & all the different angles that make up the whole bike & my thoughts are:
"They are so asymetrical it just does not work for me".
Custom harleys (most) are great lookin bikes because the customizer has smoothed out the angles.

Stock HD's are just so lumpy looking to me.
The gas tanks are at a different angle than the seat, on some models they are so small & sit up so high that the frame is exposed & looks unfinished.
Never liked the coil pack hanging off the left side or the oil tank or battery cover on the right.
Always looked like they were after thoughts not designed in as part of the bike.

I will admit that the three I think are the best looking are: Roadster, 48 & Soft Tail Slim.
Out of those 3 the Roadster would be the most likely to find it's way home.

But I'd much rather have an old Pan Head.

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
Actually, in one way, Harleys are the most symmetrical. They are the only V-twin (to my knowledge) in which the cylinders are in the same plane. This is due to the fork-and-knife con rods on the same crankpin. All other twin cylinders are staggered due to the con rods being next to each other on different crankpins.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:08:13 PM by Air-Cooled »
'73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, '16 Moto Guzzi Stornello, '14 Harley Ultra Classic, '12 Harley Wide Glide, '97 Honda XR600R

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2016, 04:41:41 PM »
I bashed the average British Harley rider earlier in this thread. Now let me bash a Harley bike. I road tested a Street a year or so back. It was the most uncomfortable  thing I've ever ridden, and was a bike without any redeeming features.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2016, 04:54:59 PM »
I bashed the average British Harley rider earlier in this thread. Now let me bash a Harley bike. I road tested a Street a year or so back. It was the most uncomfortable  thing I've ever ridden, and was a bike without any redeeming features.
I test rode a Kawasaki Vulcan LTD 500 once, same impression.

But I'm not dumb enough to assume that tells me anything about any other Kawasaki's, especially the ones that aren't entry level.

I spent a couple of hours on a Versys years later, very different experience.

As for British Harley owners I'm acquainted with a few and none of them for your stereotypes, but that's the thing about stereotypes and generalisations.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:00:12 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
That Roadster is dang attractive and I actually don't fit too bad on it.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »
Or C ) mandatory  :evil:

Seriously , haven't seen any real Harley bashing , of course ya gotta be careful , some of these guys are a bit sensitive  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

I vote C.

Excluding Ken Bunch. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2016, 06:21:30 PM »
I bought a Harley a couple years ago.  It was a 2007 XL1200R (twin front brakes, mid controls...)

Bike was OK to ride and I enjoyed it for a short while but, seemed every time I rode it I would wish I was on a different bike within an hour (ergonomics mostly and dragging hard parts on corners all the time).  That and I could never bond with the low revving, short shifting engine even though it had serious low end torque.  Overall it was a very solid and well built bike. Nothing on it seemed cheap. Just not my cup of tea.

And I must admit the stereotypical Harley rider image did make me feel odd when I was riding it, almost self-conscience, which is quite different from the "don't give a sh** what you think" attitude I am regularly accused of having.  My wife joked she was going to get me a "I'm NOT a Pirate" T-shirt to wear while riding it.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »
I bought a Harley a couple years ago.  It was a 2007 XL1200R (twin front brakes, mid controls...)

Bike was OK to ride and I enjoyed it for a short while but, seemed every time I rode it I would wish I was on a different bike within an hour (ergonomics mostly and dragging hard parts on corners all the time).  That and I could never bond with the low revving, short shifting engine even though it had serious low end torque.  Overall it was a very solid and well built bike. Nothing on it seemed cheap. Just not my cup of tea.

And I must admit the stereotypical Harley rider image did make me feel odd when I was riding it, almost self-conscience, which is quite different from the "don't give a sh** what you think" attitude I am regularly accused of having.  My wife joked she was going to get me a "I'm NOT a Pirate" T-shirt to wear while riding it.

It's the "feel" of a Harley.  You must've missed it.

I am told you need to be an "experienced" rider to appreciate it.

Try to understand.  A few more mile perhaps?

Hey Darren, did you ever think about "weighing" your bikes.  Like maybe a Stelvio and a GS.   You ever gonna get rid of the GS now that you have an FJR?  Cheap I mean.

:evil:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:38:53 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
We say the same thing about a Guzzi.  :undecided:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »
It's the "feel" of a Harley.  You must've missed it.

I am told you need to be an "experienced" rider to appreciate it.

Try to understand.  A few more mile perhaps?

Hey Darren, did you ever think about "weighing" your bikes.  Like maybe a Stelvio and a GS.   You ever gonna get rid of the GS now that you have an FJR?  Cheap I mean.

:evil:

Maybe I need to practice riding a bit more before I can learn to appreciate a Harley, don't know.

My Stelvio weight on our calibrated shipping scale at work was 612# (it had an almost full tank and a few things in the boxes). The GS with all the Vario boxes was 580# (also almost full smaller tank and a bit more stuff in the boxes like a heavy tool pouch).

The GS is not going to be for sale cheap as you would define it!  Although I joked with Paul at BMC about a 2 or 3 for one trade in, Breva, Thruxton and GS for that new red Griso.  He didn't seem to interested.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
  That and I could never bond with the low revving, short shifting engine even though it had serious low end torque.

That has been my problem with Harley engines. Just when I think, "Hey, this is starting to make some power.." I hit the rev limiter and it falls on it's face. <shrug>
I've said many times that a motorcycle is all about the engine to me. I could live with some of the short comings of the chassis if I loved the engine. I don't.
I don't like Harleys, I don't like Beemers. I don't like inline 4s. I sorta like the Triumph speed triple, though..
Gimme a Guzzi.
Chuck, deacon..
Church of Guzzi
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »
Maybe I need to practice riding a bit more before I can learn to appreciate a Harley, don't know.

My Stelvio weight on our calibrated shipping scale at work was 612# (it had an almost full tank and a few things in the boxes). The GS with all the Vario boxes was 580# (also almost full smaller tank and a bit more stuff in the boxes like a heavy tool pouch).

The GS is not going to be for sale cheap as you would define it!  Although I joked with Paul at BMC about a 2 or 3 for one trade in, Breva, Thruxton and GS for that new red Griso.  He didn't seem to interested.

shhhhhhhhhhh!

Leafman might see this.    :whip2:

Cheap?  I can offer equal to two KLRs,  $5k cash money.  Now.  Real ca$h.

Meet you at the ATM   :evil:
John L 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here