Author Topic: revised peg position for 2017 V9  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
revised peg position for 2017 V9
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/november/moto-guzzi-v9-revamp-2017-eicma-milan/

Pegs 100 mm back and 35 mm higher.  That's quite a change.

I didn't have a problem with the peg position when test-riding, but with a 30" inseam I'm probably what the original was designed for.  The extra ground clearance might be nice.

Only other change is a more padded seat on both V9's.
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
Re: revised peg position for 2017 V9
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:04:21 PM »
Sliding them back towards the rider is the best thing they could have done in my opinion should make a real usable difference.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
I saw that elsewhere and it was accompanied by text claiming it to be more comfortable for taller riders. But that doesn't seem to jive with the 35mm higher? Do you think they got that wrong and meant 35mm LOWER?

Or were the pegs on the V9 already lower than that on the V7?

<shrug>
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »
Not sure how the "comfort" factor plays out here.  Less extended legs will be less comfortable, unless you are tall enough that your shins bang against the cylinders, in which case it will be more comfortable.  I'd say if you're much above 5-8, you've probably got a shin issue on the V9.

I assume raising the pegs is really for ground clearance, not comfort.

Guzzi's blurb also mentions more "control".

Anyway, now I'm in a bit of a quandary because was actually closing in on purchasing a Bobber.  Now need to think about whether these changes are worth waiting for.  At just under 5-10, I'm not going to benefit from a comfort standpoint, but the new pegs might make the bike feel a bit sportier.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:34:56 PM by Adan »
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
I put 1-inch LOWER pegs on my V7 Special.

I suspect, I would want to do the same on the new V9.

It'd be cool if they did something like Honda did with the 305 Super Hawk back in the 60's.

Here is the footpeg mount:

The second pic shows an aftermarket rear set on the stock mount (mounted to the middle of the three possible positions).   The bikes came from the factory with a passenger peg mounted to the rear hole (with some offset to put it further back), and the rider peg to the front one.    The brake is cable actuated, so, it is easy to just move between the three holes.   The left peg is almost as easy to move, you just need a different length rode to connect to the shifter shaft.

I'd love to see motorcycle manufacturers ship bikes with adjustable foot pegs, and handlebars (Motus has nice adjustable bars).

http://motonut.com/images/DSC04456.JPG
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »
I really look forward to riding the new Roamer. Control was what it lacked in direct comparison to my V7 Stone. And clearance in turns.

Seems to me there are people listening in Mandello del Lario.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »
The new peg set backs are available as a retro fit to the the first year V9 for those wanting to go that route.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 05:45:20 PM »
The new peg set backs are available as a retro fit to the the first year V9 for those wanting to go that route.

Cool.  Wheredja read that?
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 06:07:40 PM »
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline jkristjan

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
Here goes my 2 cents:

1) The new seat is ugly, the initial flat bench seat was impractical but really a designer's item. I rather use a AirHawk for longer rides and comparing the pics, I suspect the first year seats are going to sell at high prices. Additionally there is the first year optional "comfort seat", kind of in the middle of the two, I dunno if that will remain in the accessory catalogs but I do hope so. Then if someone will want to get rid of the ugly new seat they can at least order the initial premium seat which is at least bearable looks-wise. Also, though the new seat is certainly more comfortable to sit on, it may add seat height, so there's that.

2) Pegs moved back cannot be for clearance because at left side the kickstand is touching first, well, at least virtually at the same time with the first year forward-mounted pegs. Kickstand is exactly at the same position on the new edition which kind of makes me think there may be a terrible flaw, kickstand will now touch, scrape and do who knows what before the feelers on the folding pegs.

Anyone having better details on this, please enlighten us. For now I'm very happy that I got the initial version, those two changes do not make sense to me. It's a pity if they also fixed some internal design/quality flaws, but I doubt there will be information on that.

Offline r6ymy

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
I'm 5'7" but have long legs. I was excited to try the V9 when launched, sat on the Roamer and Bobber at the UK national motorcycle show and on both found my shins contacted the heads. Haven't tried the 2017 versions but if they have moved the pegs back 4" that sounds promising to me.

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »
Ground clearance hasn't been an issue for me in the first 600 miles.  I'm taking it through twisties at a brisk pace and I'm not scraping.  Sure, if I pushed it a little harder, I'd scrape, but at the speeds this bike is meant to be ridden, not an issue.  If you want a sport bike, get a sport bike. 

I have the comfort seat and it's an improvement, I like it better than stock though the difference in both height and comfort is pretty subtle.

My shins do make contact with the heads at times, but it's not a big deal.  It seems like it's just part of the tactile experience of riding this bike.  It's not inhibiting me in any way.

Raising the seat height and getting your feet more underneath you would both be complementary steps towards making the V9 less cruiser-ish and more standard-ish.  It might be a good thing for some or even most riders but, to state the obvious, there will be a tradeoff in comfort with greater knee bend. 
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 08:13:58 PM »
For some, like me, greater knee bend can mean less seat pressure which equals for comfort for the longer haul. Of course I'm one of those guys that ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and on some of my bikes, and actually use the passenger pegs when on long stretches.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 08:44:55 AM »
Some folks find the standard ergos more comfortable that cruiser.  If you have lower back issues, feet forward can aggravate it.  Even on the V9, which is only slightly feet forward, the lower back is somewhat slouched.  I find I have to stretch out at least once an hour, either by stopping or just standing in the saddle -- so my lower back doesn't start getting tied in knots.  Even so, the V9 is a more comfortable position for me that the V7 or the Griso.  For me, the only bikes that are truly all day comfortable are tall adv bikes.
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 09:15:09 AM »
For some, like me, greater knee bend can mean less seat pressure which equals for comfort for the longer haul.

For me the greater the knee bend, the more discomfort over the long haul.

We're all just built a bit different.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 04:02:28 PM »
We're all just built a bit different.

Very true...

Or, we've all abused our bodies a bit different. Which goes with the quote about living this long, would have taken better care of myself.  Knees in better shape than my hips or back.   :boozing:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here