Author Topic: Norge UPPER fairing removal?  (Read 291 times)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
Norge UPPER fairing removal?
« on: April 13, 2024, 09:49:25 AM »
I'll bet a lot of members are getting sick of all my Norge posts, so please forgive me.

I searched everywhere, even youtube, and cannot find any guidelines specific to removing the Norge upper fairing, and by "upper" I mean the fairing that obscures the oil-fill port on the left side. My "lower" fairings have already been removed by the PO of my bike, and an extension kit installed with the hella-long dipstick so I don't need to remove the remaining fairing to check the oil, but now that I'm pulling the sump cases to check the common gasket squeeze-out problem, I'll need to re-fill the engine when I'm done.

The remaining "upper" fairing looks like it's a single-piece wraparound unit. There appear to be just a few hard screws attaching it (I have the tank, airbox, windscreen and black dash panel off), and the lower parts look like they separate from the upper by those pesky 1-way clips (push-on, destroy them to pull-off). Looks like if all screws were removed the fairing could float forward to disconnect the headlight harnesses and away you go.

So does this entire upper fairing need to be removed to get a funnel onto the dipstick hole? Or do you remove enough screws on the left side to pry the plastic away from the engine far enough to get a funnel in there? I can figure out how to drip oil down the kit dipstick extension tube, but the day will come when I'll NEED to remove that fairing, I'm sure.

Any help or flaming would be appreciated, I have thick skin.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline MCR

• New Egg
Re: Norge UPPER fairing removal?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 11:05:58 AM »
To fill the oil I use a flexible rubber tube and then a funnel. The oil is very thick when cold so it takes a lot of patience to fill the sump

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 03:03:53 PM »
Leave the damn thing alone mate, if you break those tabs, you’ll regret buggerising around with it. As mentioned, fill the bike through the dipstick hole.
Just for the record, do you mean this one ?

Or this one ?

But if you must remove the side fairing, here goes…
Release the two rear fixing bolts at the base of the side panel at the bottom rear.
Undo the tiny little screws that secure the black plastic inner fairing panel and displace it away to the right just a little..(you don’t need much).
That will expose the three silver coloured bolts that fix the side fairing to the top “bikini” fairing in the centre.
Disconnect the left turn indicator wires to the flashing light.
There is a tiny piss weak little screw right up the front of the side panel, just below the left headlight, have someone support the panel as you remove it, the nuts are all captive.
Finally, pop the spigot out of the rubber grommet up near the front..(apply some rubber grease to this spigot upon reassembly.
The panel will now come off.
There is one thing you are wrong about though…I’m certainly not sick of your Norge questions, keep ‘em coming.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 03:14:16 PM by Huzo »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 03:22:09 PM »
Even though I have the hole in the fairing for the dipstick, I remove the two screws holding the fairing(no lower fairing) remove the dipstick and the narrow fitting in the fill hole for the tall dipstick, move the fairing out a bit and use a long tapered funnel to fill the oil. You probably don’t have the later dipstick so it’s even easier to fill the engine with oil.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 03:22:09 PM »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 03:26:07 PM »
A while back Gliderjohn had asked about filling oil as well on his Norge...no need to take off the whole front fairing to get to the oil.

The trick is only to remove the screws enough to gently pull the left hand side plastic away from the engine a bit, then a large socket on a 12 inch extension over the black PLASTIC threaded piece that the dipstick snaps into (remove the dipstick first).  With that unthreaded, (has hardly any torque on it), so very easy to remove, you can just run a long hosed funnel down into the hole and pour away. 

Super easy.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 03:30:46 PM »
Why don’t y’all just get the little addition that you see in my shot? It exits just near the left spark plug..
Could NOT be easier.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 03:50:16 PM »
Why don’t y’all just get the little addition that you see in my shot? It exits just near the left spark plug..
Could NOT be easier.

As I mentioned previously, had one then I got the replacement fairing with the hole so it didn’t seem like I needed the attachment and sold it off.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 10:19:31 PM »
The trick is only to remove the screws enough to gently pull the left hand side plastic away from the engine a bit,

This is what I anticipated was the common method for snaking a long funnel to the fill hole in the block. Yes, I have the adapter tube/dipstick as shown in Huzo's top photo.

I guess I am OBSESSED with getting the fairing (as shown again in Huzo's top photo) off, the fairing I referred to as "upper" because the lowers are off.

Huzo: I will carefully try follow your instructions word-for-word and see if I end up with a portion of fairing in my hands. As I indicated in my OP, I just couldn't see an obvious split-line, looks like all one-piece to me.

Oh, and today I bought a long narrow funnel. I still don't think it's small enough to fit INTO the oil-fill adapter tube, I anticipate a net diameter match, but maybe I can graft the funnel/tube together with a section of hose as a splice. I'll figure it out.

Thanks, all.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 06:23:12 AM »
Take your time mate, just ask more questions if you need.

Online SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 09:22:47 AM »

OR - You can get a hand suction put to put in and take out like I do.  Got it from Harbor Freight for like $5.00...   * I plan to cut off lower fairing soon anyway to expose engine.

2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here