Author Topic: Crash bar lowers for the 1400 tourer  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Crash bar lowers for the 1400 tourer
« on: March 28, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
Am I the only 1400 tourer owner here that would like to have a set of crash bar lowers (cold wind and rain guards) for our touring

bikes like EVERY OTHER touring bike in existence has? Has anyone attempted to accomplish this feat which Guzzi simply cant seem to have the ability or desire to offer sensible parts for. :(

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
Re: Crash bar lowers for the 1400 tourer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 05:20:58 PM »
I've seen some online somewhere but cannot remember where. Google is your friend  :laugh:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 06:32:56 PM »
I've seen some online somewhere but cannot remember where. Google is your friend  :laugh:
Yep, thats how I found these. They are fairly stable but I don't know how they will fare at speed all day or heavy rain. I must admit I miss my Harley lowers that really offered great feet and leg protection from the elements. If Guzzi had put a little more research in and made the crash bars more  symmetrical the  vinyl ones woukd have worked fine but NO let's not make anything that other stuff will enter change with and not produce any factory accessories for Moto Guzzi motorcycles. Sorry for the rant, I just get tired of trying to make things I need for my bike that should come on it. For crying out loud wouldn't one think a bike advertised as a TOURING MOTORCYCLE would add lowers for weather protection, a factory luggage rack and better windshield for protection from the elements? :(
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:48:11 PM by Ncdan »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 06:56:32 PM »
Hey Dan, just a thought , but would those have any effect on cooling on the goose?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 06:56:32 PM »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 07:56:52 PM »
Hey Dan, just a thought , but would those have any effect on cooling on the goose?
I'm not sure Dave But I don't think so,

they are way below the heads and there are plenty of space between them and the header pipes, so I'll have to be aware of this possibility. Thanks for the heads up. Check this picture out and tell me what you think.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 08:01:23 PM »
If you want them someone else does.  Maybe a local seamstress can fab some up.
That's how I started my seat cover business 15 years ago.  I needed something that wasn't available and low and behold, over 2000 other riders needed it, too.

See a need, fill a need.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 08:13:53 PM »
A picture is worth a shit load of words! I'd say you're definitely good to go. I had visions of them higher in the wind stream.   You are definitely pioneering the wind protection on the 1400's. Nice work :thumb:

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »
If you want them someone else does.  Maybe a local seamstress can fab some up.
That's how I started my seat cover business 15 years ago.  I needed something that wasn't available and low and behold, over 2000 other riders needed it, too.

See a need, fill a need.
Great idea King!! If you can locate a 1400 near you and fabricate a set I'll be your first customer. I'd bet there are several 1400 owners here woukd love a set. I did attempt to find a lady that made a set for a Kawasaki 1500 for me several years ago but she moved her shop and left no address. I'll be waiting:)👍👍👍

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »

Guzzi simply cant seem to have the ability or desire to offer sensible parts

California 1400s exist in the hundreds.  Does anyone really wonder why there are limited accessories and limited aftermarket support?

There are more Harleys cruising the PCH at this moment than there are California 1400s in the world.

If a person wants/needs/expects more support for their big cruiser, there are brands which have it.  Harley, Honda, Yamaha.

:huh:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

elvisboy77

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 10:51:32 AM »

California 1400s exist in the hundreds.  Does anyone really wonder why there are limited accessories and limited aftermarket support?

There are more Harleys cruising the PCH at this moment than there are California 1400s in the world.

If a person wants/needs/expects more support for their big cruiser, there are brands which have it.  Harley, Honda, Yamaha.

:huh:

Exactly.  Well said.  Guzzi is not Harley.

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 11:08:03 AM »
They had them on the California Vintage

Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
Fair enough.  nobody near me has one.

I'll keep looking.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline DaddyRabbit

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 08:51:58 AM »
I'd love a set!  That was the one thing that i was disappointed in when trading my CalVin for the 1400.  The CalVin's were well integrated into the machine and did a pretty solid job. 
Ride with your kids...its cheap therapy for both of you.

03 Cali SS - gone
07 Vintage - gone
09 Stelvio -gone
13 California 1400
18 KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 08:17:53 AM »
I'd love a set!  That was the one thing that i was disappointed in when trading my CalVin for the 1400.  The CalVin's were well integrated into the machine and did a pretty solid job.
You are right DR the lowers on the Calvin, as I had an 07 worked great and just to think those bikes were never ordained as a, TOURING MOTO GUZZI, as the 1400 TOURER was. It's not bad mouthing the brand to point out short comings that are very obvious. To call a piece of fried bologna a TBone steak does not make it a great feast:)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »
One of the things I have considered was to use some cardboard and cut out the proper shape to clear everything. (Not block the heads, clear the pipes, etc.) Using that as a pattern, cut some plexiglass to the proper shape and use some clamps that have rubber around the clamp body to attach them. I figured I would scuff up and paint the back side of the plexi to finish them off. Along that line, it would be possible to extend the shield out past the bar. One could even heat the plexi up a little and bend a slight angle to the outside edge.

The clamps I have in mind are like these: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Lokman-Stainless-Rubber-Cushioned/dp/B01N3Q3RBL/ref=asc_df_B01N3Q3RBL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309811990469&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16705835436693319234&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015277&hvtargid=pla-568579125533&psc=1

I've seen them at the hardware store too.

John Henry

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 10:48:14 AM »
I attempted that a while back but best I remember the angles of those bars were so radical I decided to head another direction. If you get this method perfected that woukd be great !

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
Although I don't imagine ever using 'lowers' it seems www.bikescreen.com
AKA Gustaffson Plastics St. Augustine, FL could be a contender. They are terrific people.
Start a write in campaign. Another possibility: www.airtech-streamlining.com 
Seems to me using a proper industrial plastic those pieces could easily be vacuum formed.  R3~ 

elvisboy77

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »
You are right DR the lowers on the Calvin, as I had an 07 worked great and just to think those bikes were never ordained as a, TOURING MOTO GUZZI, as the 1400 TOURER was. It's not bad mouthing the brand to point out short comings that are very obvious. To call a piece of fried bologna a TBone steak does not make it a great feast:)

I think that, from my perspective, relative to the Guzzis I bought in the 1980's and 1990's there are now a TON of accessories.  I don't remember seeing much of an accessory catalog back then.  I am sure the historians in the group can shed some light on the details.

So, I think Guzzi is doing a GREAT job with accessories, relative to my past experience with their bikes.   

Yes, there are shortcomings.  Those are provided by the factory at no extra charge, lol.  Doesn't matter, I like the brand the way it is.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here