Author Topic: Utah legalizes lane-splitting for Motorcycles  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Utah legalizes lane-splitting for Motorcycles
« on: March 28, 2019, 07:32:39 PM »
Looks like Utah will experiment with filtering for motorcycles in congested traffic.  :thumb:  Hawaii's proposed law got shut down before it could make it out of committee.  :tongue:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/a26945074/utah-legalizes-lanesplitting/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_pop&utm_medium=email&date=032819&src=nl&utm_campaign=16412068
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Utah legalizes lane-splitting for Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 07:35:06 PM »
Hopefully now they get the word out to the cagers so they don't go road rage on the motorcyclists. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 08:27:37 PM »
Yeah.  There should be a number of PSA's and public notices notifying everyone.   :tongue:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 10:43:14 PM »
This is a good thing.  There are very few things I miss about CA, after moving away 8 years ago, but lanesplitting is one of those things.

PSAs and publicity would, of course be helpful and should be done.
However, contrary to popular opinion, very few people are actually homicidal.
They'll learn and get used to it.  It is allowed, and works fine, in pretty much every country in the world except ours.

PhilB

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 10:43:14 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 05:53:01 AM »
This is a good thing.  There are very few things I miss about CA, after moving away 8 years ago, but lanesplitting is one of those things.

PSAs and publicity would, of course be helpful and should be done.
However, contrary to popular opinion, very few people are actually homicidal.
They'll learn and get used to it.  It is allowed, and works fine, in pretty much every country in the world except ours.

PhilB

When I illegally filtered through stopped cars at lights in Florida I would have people try and block me, but fortunately people stop to close to the car in front of them (forgetting their driver training) and can't move far enough over to actually block me.  Some would yell, some would open their door a little.  It is amazing the jealousy that ensues when people think someone is "Cutting in line".
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 10:38:55 AM »
Not sure that I would filter, legal or not.  Folk just seem to go absolutely primal behind the wheel if they feel slighted.  Only time I even came close to filtering was a couple of years ago at Vintage Days - Mid Ohio.  There was a traffic jam of golf carts and UTVs heading towards the paddock area, so I just scooted right along on my FA50.  Some protested, but FCOL, this was a motorcycle event! 
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »
Not sure that I would filter, legal or not.  Folk just seem to go absolutely primal behind the wheel if they feel slighted.  Only time I even came close to filtering was a couple of years ago at Vintage Days - Mid Ohio.  There was a traffic jam of golf carts and UTVs heading towards the paddock area, so I just scooted right along on my FA50.  Some protested, but FCOL, this was a motorcycle event!
I'm with you on that. Too many angry people behind the wheel. I do most of my riding in rural areas anyway.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
 American drivers still live with the vigilante code in their heads.
 If the law won't stop it, " I will".  If the biker gets hurt, well he shouldn't have been doing that anyway.  The fact that it may be legal doesn't enter Into their thick heads.  Their attitude is, " It may be legal but it shouldn't be." and that is what they will plea if they end up in court.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 12:47:31 PM »
Seems filtering is a bigger problem to motorists.  The law change in Hawaii would have been for motorcyclists to use the shoulder/bike lane only when traffic is backed up.

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »
I live in Upstate NY... and I have sorta filtered once. But, that was a very specific situation.

Mid August, 90+ degrees out, and I'm cruising down I-86. Accident ahead. Both lanes stopped up. I stop. I sit. I wait. I shut my bike off. after 10 minutes and not moving an inch... my very well vented Tourmaster jacket is turning into a Tourmaster crock-pot...

It's just over a mile to the next exit. I fire my bike up and start rolling down the shoulder at 5-10 mph. The wreck was at the on-ramp on the other side of the interchange. Cop is there, trying to get people moving. He sees me. I kick my RH blinker on, indicating I'd like to go down the ramp. He starts waving me to come closer. I do, then he holds up a hand for me to stop. I do that too. He asks what I'm doing and I reply "Trying to not pass out from heat stroke, officer." He smiles, waves me down the off-ramp, and I start to get a cooling breeze through my vents again. Ahhhhh!!!!

Filtering, Lane Splitting, Lane Sharing, whatever you want to call it, it's been a benefit to everyone where it's been allowed. Should be a universal thing, but of well.... one state at a time.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »
When in NYC.  I lane split.  I don't care if it's illegal especially going over the GWB.

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 06:01:57 AM »
How would one even get the ball rolling in their own state?
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 06:30:28 AM »
When in NYC.  I lane split.  I don't care if it's illegal especially going over the GWB.

I do it all the time unless there is one of NY’sFinest nearby in a highway patrol car with tag reader cameras all over the vehicle. Especially in the spring.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »
I lived in LA for four years in the late 90s and loved lane splitting. The one time I drove, traffic backed up and the trip took an hour or two longer.

The CA cops say it's safer to lane split as there's less chance of being sandwiched in a rear ender.

The lane splitting law has been presented here in Oregon several times, but of course got shot down. We're also maybe the only state that can't pump our own gas - except for motorcyclists. Go figure

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 03:54:44 PM »
It creates jobs because we're too incompetent to pump our own

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »
I lived in LA for four years in the late 90s and loved lane splitting. The one time I drove, traffic backed up and the trip took an hour or two longer.

The CA cops say it's safer to lane split as there's less chance of being sandwiched in a rear ender.

The lane splitting law has been presented here in Oregon several times, but of course got shot down. We're also maybe the only state that can't pump our own gas - except for motorcyclists. Go figure
New Jersey is the other state where you may not pump your own gas.  In Oregon, the "reasoning" is that it's a pollution measure -- they say people tend to overfill, or "top off" their tanks, which causes spillage, and thus air pollution.  Having trained attendants is supposed to prevent this.  However, the last time I drove a car in Oregon, I got gas there twice, and in one case the attendant asked if I wanted him to top off the tank, and the other case the attendant did it without asking.  Yay for government "solutions".

PhilB

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 12:36:59 PM »
I read a study years ago about the mindset people get into when they get behind the wheel. Many go into "hunter/predator" mode. Heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration rates are elevated. They're just spoiling for a fight, and they don't consciously know it... Them's the ones that will open their door to mess with you, not even thinking about the consequences. I'll hit the breakdown lane to get around a traffic jam, but I'll go slow, on full alert, head on a swivel...
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »
Lane splitting is a wonderful thing.. in California. It's been around long enough that people expect you to do it, and many will move over and give you room to get by. You'd get shot in Indiana.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 09:27:35 PM »
Lane splitting is a wonderful thing.. in California. It's been around long enough that people expect you to do it, and many will move over and give you room to get by. You'd get shot in Indiana.

When and where in Indiana would you need to lane split?   :laugh: The flip side of the lane splitting coin is its accepted and understood mostly in places where the number of cars has completely outstripped capacity, and nobody has done anything about it.  I ride pretty much 100% in places where lane splitting is the norm, I do it without even thinking but sometimes it's nice to rode somewhere where lower population and good road design make it unnecessary  :wink:

@larrys, I suspect all my riding is done with some level of hunter/predator instinct in play...  I've called it 'machine mode' before and when you're in it on a motorcycle, I think you're safer and better as a result of focus and lack of emotion.  Like Coyotes hunting rabbits: move decisively, succeed regardless, get it done or go hungry.  That doubtless sounds a bit over dramatic but that detached, focused feeling is part of the reason I ride.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:40:04 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 06:50:05 AM »
When and where in Indiana would you need to lane split?   :laugh: The flip side of the lane splitting coin is its accepted and understood mostly in places where the number of cars has completely outstripped capacity, and nobody has done anything about it.  I ride pretty much 100% in places where lane splitting is the norm, I do it without even thinking but sometimes it's nice to rode somewhere where lower population and good road design make it unnecessary  :wink:

@larrys, I suspect all my riding is done with some level of hunter/predator instinct in play...  I've called it 'machine mode' before and when you're in it on a motorcycle, I think you're safer and better as a result of focus and lack of emotion.  Like Coyotes hunting rabbits: move decisively, succeed regardless, get it done or go hungry.  That doubtless sounds a bit over dramatic but that detached, focused feeling is part of the reason I ride.

To educate the public, motorcycles in non lane-splitting states should all have a sign on back that reads "If lane-splitting were legal, I wouldn't be here and you could move up".
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Ratso88

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 08:26:47 AM »
So yeah, I lane split in Indiana. Specifically 38th Street trying to get on the 465 mid afternoon sunny, hot and humid. Some people honk, no big deal.
In California I've had people move to cut me off, open doors etc. Now, intentionally hitting or causing someone to hit your vehicle would be assault. Vehicles in this case become deadly weapons, so it becomes a felony with real prison time. Maybe that should be the Public Service Announcement for all the Hunter/Predator types out there. Couple trials with media coverage will have a chilling effect on Road Rage.

I'm not sure if the general public feels they are having something taken away from them or that someone else is getting something they're not.

I suppose that we could all ride motorcycles and all lane share all the time  :bike-037:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here