Author Topic: Engine temperature gauge?  (Read 7997 times)

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
Engine temperature gauge?
« on: June 09, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
Hi,  :bow:

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to read engine temperature on a dash (while driving, so GuzziDiag is probably not an option here)? I don't know if big blocks have this integrated in speedo, but on small ones you surely don't have this information. Found this little gauge on eBay as oil dip stick replacement... Any experiences with it?

Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Engine temperature gauge?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 09:56:24 AM »
Do you want head temperature, or oil temperature.
Using Guzzidiag would be an issue, because Guzzi puts the engine temp sensor in some mediocre locations that don't work out so well.

I have one of the oil temp dipsticks. What I learned was, the oil is over cooled in almost all cases. Unless you are stuck in rush hour traffic in the summer in Atlanta, then it gets too hot. :angry:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
If you really want to measure temps then get a couple of the spark plug style thermocouples and a gauge.  Or, more ugly, weld a bung on the headers and put in an EGT sensor and gauge.

But, to answer the question, yes, those measure oil temps as long as the end of it is in the oil  :)  I knew of a guy who bought one and never wondered why the temp was so cool.  The thing was too short and it was just measuring the crankcase air temp.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »

Yeah.  air-cooled engine temps are usually measured at three different places, for different reasons.

1) oil temperature
2) cylinder head temperature
3) exhaust temperature

If you want a temperature gauge to look at while riding, as Charlie mentioned, the common spark plug style cylinder head temperature senders and a mechanical temp gauge will get it done.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 11:52:10 AM »
I don't know which temperature GuzziDiag displays as "Engine temperature". This seems to be quite representative.

Yeah, problem is where to put the display. It will definitely look ugly. I have already tested the EGT sensor (it fits into the cylinder fins perfectly), but it was cheap Chinese item. You can imagine how accurate it was. Is another option smartphone and TuneECU? Then you can get all parameters there... maybe it works... and it's detachable... :lipsrsealed:
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 12:27:35 PM »
I have a dip stick thermometer like the one you show.  It's Chinese and accurate, at least at 212F.  I think some of the oil has leaked out of the face, otherwise it works just fine.  My highest temp so far has been around 250F.  That's well below the 350F point where my synthetic oil would start breaking down.  Oil analysis has confirmed that the oil is holding up nicely.  Oh, and I have a sump spacer so 1L more in the sump than stock.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »
Sorry, but a gauge you have to stop and get off the bike and onto your knees beside it to use isn't a tool -- it's comic relief.  I installed regular gauges on mine -- a VDO analog on one and a Dakota Digital on the other.  I drilled and tapped the sumps just above the drain plug to install the sender.  The gauges are easily read while riding.

Offline frizzit

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scantwin.scanmM5.AllinOne

This may or may not work for your ecu but you can monitor temps with a bluetooth transmitter to your phone.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »
 Cheapest ( read Guszziest) temp gauge is to take off gloves and put hands on engine.  If you smell frying meat, the engine is too hot.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
What will you do with the data when you get it ?

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »
Old thread coming to life...

Well, nothing. It's just very informative when you're riding in different conditions (hot/cold weather, driving hard, slow, traffic jams...).
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »
Old thread coming to life...

Well, nothing. It's just very informative when you're riding in different conditions (hot/cold weather, driving hard, slow, traffic jams...).
Hmmmm..

Offline AZRider

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 02:29:47 AM »
I installed the Micro 1000 dual cylinder head temperature gauge from Aircraft Spruce, more expensive than similar-looking gauges but it compensates for ambient temperature. They even did a special order for me with neon orange gauge pointers that are easier to read. I bought the probes that are rings that go on the spark plug leads and routed them along the crashbars.
I've been pleased to see that the temperature holds around 300-350 under most normal conditions, and I haven't yet seen it reach 400. We'll see what happens riding into the desert this summer!
Trying out the motorcycle life from the other side of the counter.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 04:08:06 PM »
I installed the Micro 1000 dual cylinder head temperature gauge from Aircraft Spruce, more expensive than similar-looking gauges but it compensates for ambient temperature. They even did a special order for me with neon orange gauge pointers that are easier to read. I bought the probes that are rings that go on the spark plug leads and routed them along the crashbars.
I've been pleased to see that the temperature holds around 300-350 under most normal conditions, and I haven't yet seen it reach 400. We'll see what happens riding into the desert this summer!

:thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »

I would stop and let the engine cool  (at least!)  I understand that its unlikely to overheat unless in traffic situation. Some face that as normal riding ...Chicago is one situation...I can sweat a damn lot when it 90ºF and 90% humid, and traffic is walking speed.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
I never understood taking a reading from base of the sparkplug. The top of the combustion chambers has varying temperature swings and does not directly relate to the oil temperature. The base of the plug can be a couple hundred degrees within a minute of startup but the oil is ice cold. Since air cooled motors are actually air/oil cooled isn't it more prudent to know what the temperature of the oil is in case it reaches a temperature where thermal breakdown can occur?
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »
I've an oil-temp. gauge in the fairing of my Magni, and it is handy to be able to glance down and see it on the move.  I didn't fit it myself: if I had I'd have left the fairing alone and put it somewhere on the dash.  The temp-sender screws into an adapter on the rear of the sump.  It's a very simple set-up (see pics).

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 12:47:15 PM »
Of the various temperatures discussed here, air (and oil) cooled aircraft engines also look at the them for the following reasons:
- oil temp: warm enough for take off?, too hot indicative of oil loss?
- cylinder head temp: adequate cooling?, appropriate mixture control
- exhaust gas temp: completeness of combustion (esp one cylinder vs others), also mixture control.
So, in rough terms, each tells us something different. Oil temp IMHO is the least informative moment to moment.
Await input from Chuck re his av experience.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 01:08:19 PM »
Of the various temperatures discussed here, air (and oil) cooled aircraft engines also look at the them for the following reasons:
- oil temp: warm enough for take off?, too hot indicative of oil loss?
- cylinder head temp: adequate cooling?, appropriate mixture control
- exhaust gas temp: completeness of combustion (esp one cylinder vs others), also mixture control.
So, in rough terms, each tells us something different. Oil temp IMHO is the least informative moment to moment.
Await input from Chuck re his av experience.

Yes, I want to hear from Chuck, too. In an airplane, cruising speed means a steady throttle for hours at a time, so EGT can stabilize and tell you something useful about mixture:  for best economy usually a bit lean of peak, for best power a bit rich of peak. This would be pretty useless on a motorcycle unless you're absurdly serious about performance on the superslab. CHT might tell you about overheating in midsummer traffic or crossing Death Valley in August. For oil performance I think oil pressure is a more important data point than oil temp, especially as regards oil loss. As somebody mentioned it's possible for the oil to drop below the level of an oil temp sensor in which case you'll get a false low temp reading, but oil pressure tells you something serious about the fate of bearings and cams.

My CAP check pilot once survived an engine-failure crash into a forest, breaking his legs. Forever after, on check rides, he always asked "What's the most important instrument on the panel?" The correct answer was the oil pressure gauge.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:20:58 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 01:09:57 PM »
I used to run an oil temp gauge with the probe in the drain plug.  through three big blocks I learned that it takes on the average thirty miles for the oil temp to come up and stabilize and from there it would fluctuate depending on engine load, stop and go traffic, etc.  It never overheated the oil, more often the oil was too cold unless ambient temps were above about 80F.  I realized that I needed to pay attention to hazards and while it was interesting,  oil temp was not a problem unless it was too cold. Guzzi engines that are made for higher output may push the temps up but I prefer a reliable warning light for anything or I will pay too much attention to the gauges and not to the cell phone idiots who will sacrifice me to save themselves a couple seconds in traffic. If I was to run a gauge, it would be a dual cylinder head temp, like AZ rider.  I would pay too much attention to it so I don't want one. A car or airplane, sure, in those I can divide my attention. I've gotten old and need my brain to look for stuff that will hurt
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »
My V11EV came with the pictured thermo/dipstick.
Had to calibrate the FULL line.

Used it to see that I never managed to overheat the oil.
Used it to see that the oil could get hot enough to boil out the crankcase condensation.
It's totally unnecessary. By the time you are in a bad range there must be some really obvious problems you don't need a gage for

NOW I wish they had installed a good and honest Voltmeter at the panel instead of the huge Tach and oversized indicator lights. Rev limiter works fine on the EV. :evil:
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 03:21:33 PM »
Checking the temperature at this location is best to give you a good measurement of the actual cylinder head temperature. Oil temps will always be lower, and both matter, particularly in older motors. This of course is as important if not more so then oil temperature because it effects valve seals, valve seats and the actual cylinder head itself. On my 912, I have two Leads measuring the cylinder head temperature, and then two others for the oil, one measuring the temperature in the sump one measuring temperature post cooler.

TMI perhaps, but not a bad thing.

I never understood taking a reading from base of the sparkplug. The top of the combustion chambers has varying temperature swings and does not directly relate to the oil temperature. The base of the plug can be a couple hundred degrees within a minute of startup but the oil is ice cold. Since air cooled motors are actually air/oil cooled isn't it more prudent to know what the temperature of the oil is in case it reaches a temperature where thermal breakdown can occur?
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »

I installed a similar gauge.  One gauge was bad from the factory, they gladly replaced it.  Works well, although one "sender" (probe) continues to be lazy and show low readings.  I enjoy it greatly.  Just like knowing what's going on.  Others say it's a distraction / nuisance because the two cylinders never read the same.

Joe

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline geodoc

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
Having adapted a meat thermometer as a dip stick, I've found that normal operating temperature is about mid-way between roast beef and turkey.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 03:56:38 PM »
Having adapted a meat thermometer as a dip stick, I've found that normal operating temperature is about mid-way between roast beef and turkey.

So what would be the appropriate temp for a goose?
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here