Author Topic: Creamy oil in airbox  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Error

• New Egg
Re: Creamy oil in airbox
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2024, 01:03:50 AM »

I pulled the oil pan and cleaned it. It makes sense now that I was only getting the mayo out of the rear plug, but the pan design has me a bit confused. Mighty different to the 90s Honda car engines I’m used to 😂.

If anyone has a good link to describe how the oiling system in this bike works, please send it over. Still trying to educate myself.

I’m grabbing some redline 10w30 to run in the bike tomorrow. Rainy days here for a while, so not a big rush.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2024, 05:17:41 PM »
Y'ep that's the milkshake. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Error

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2024, 01:17:50 AM »
Y'ep that's the milkshake.

Right? I was suprised at the amount.

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2024, 01:57:48 AM »
The V7 Mk2 uses the top frame tube as a breather box and a lot of mayo can build up in it especially in cold  weather . I would disconnect the rocker cover tubes , the tube to the airbox and the drain back to the sump . Blow compressed air  through the open tubes and frame tube . Ensure the lines are disconnected to engine and sump as you do not want all the rusty mayo crap being blown back  into the engine.
To get mayo in the airbox means that you may have a blockage in the sump return drain line . This  has a non return valve in it make sure it's functioning correctly and the line is clear.
I installed an oil/air separator in the sump return line just above the starter. In winter I probably drain a table spoon of water out of it a week . Doing 40 km  commute air cooled engines just don't get warm enough to boil it off in winter conditions. Since fitting separator seems to have stopped the mayo build up .Hope this helps
Duncan

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2024, 01:57:48 AM »

Offline Error

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2024, 01:03:45 PM »
The V7 Mk2 uses the top frame tube as a breather box and a lot of mayo can build up in it especially in cold  weather . I would disconnect the rocker cover tubes , the tube to the airbox and the drain back to the sump . Blow compressed air  through the open tubes and frame tube . Ensure the lines are disconnected to engine and sump as you do not want all the rusty mayo crap being blown back  into the engine.
To get mayo in the airbox means that you may have a blockage in the sump return drain line . This  has a non return valve in it make sure it's functioning correctly and the line is clear.
I installed an oil/air separator in the sump return line just above the starter. In winter I probably drain a table spoon of water out of it a week . Doing 40 km  commute air cooled engines just don't get warm enough to boil it off in winter conditions. Since fitting separator seems to have stopped the mayo build up .Hope this helps

Yes this helps and is a good idea. This also comes back a bit to me not having looked into how the return system works on the bike. Do you mind if I shoot you a message if I have a question? Do you happen to have any pictures of your separator setup?

Thanks!

Online faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2024, 03:30:04 PM »
I just remembered that I rode my Yamaha XV1100, also an air cooled twin, all through winter to work and back some years ago. A very short hop, just two miles each way. I kept the bike in a heated shed, and at work the bike also sat inside a garage, though unheated yet not freezing cold due to the building being heated. Naturally, this would have helped compared to starting with the engine freezing cold. Still, there was no hint of foaming of the engine oil.

Lots of crud from the salted winter roads after a year without a clean, though
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2024, 05:18:47 PM »
Water trap installed on Mk 2 Stornello

Duncan

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here