Author Topic: Cushman Trailster.  (Read 937 times)

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Cushman Trailster.
« on: May 20, 2019, 01:55:05 AM »
There is one of these on Offer Up in the L.A. Ca. area supposedly for free. Looks complete to me.

Is this model worth anything? Is there any interest in it, enough to have it shipped to you?

I think I can add a pic or two if these is interest.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

oldbike54

Re: Cushman Trailster.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 01:00:42 PM »
 I'm reminded of the Peter Egan story about the free Bridgestone (?) . Sometimes free is still too expensive .

That said , a Trailster is pretty rare , if there is anything to be salvaged from one surely a collector would snap it up .

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 05:38:13 PM »
(google image search for Cushman Trailster)

OMG ! So THAT'S what that thing was ...

About 1987 or so a friend of mine bought a house, and in a shed out back the seller left a weird machine, obviously in storage for years.

It had that front end, and most of the frame, but had been modded to take what we finally decided was some sort of British motorcycle engine with it's accompanying pre-unit four-speed transmission.

The P.O. allegedly used it for "deer hunting ". We figured he just rode it up to them while they lay on the ground laughing.

I bartered some untaxed material for it and gave it a home - I got full value out of it just by watching successive groups of visitors try to kick start it.

Eventually we got it running, and took turns trying to get it all the way up the hill we lived on through the field. I was the only one to ever succeed, because I was the only one who would open the throttle all the way from the starting line and keep it like that.

Eventually it wound up being abandoned in AZ, where somebody else got it the same way I did.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:38:54 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 09:12:32 PM »
My old 1959 Cushman Eagle...bought for $1200 (it was black...), restored, put another $1300 in parts / powder coating / paint / etc., ridden for a year around the hood, and sold to a Cushman collector in Phoenix for $5500!! :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

8 HP, 2-speed, (Lo-Hi), clutch (Hil...maybe 35+ mph downhill with a tail wind...but a FUN bike to ride down to the local tavern!! :thumb: :cool: :wink:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 09:12:32 PM »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
Cushman Trailster images... :thumb: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
As an aside, I look at the pictures of the Trailster and think of Honda looking at that thing as they developed the Trail 90.  No contest. 

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »
As an aside, I look at the pictures of the Trailster and think of Honda looking at that thing as they developed the Trail 90.  No contest.

Another bike I always wanted...but never owned one...they are indeed legendary.  Nice examples from this period today go for $1500-$2500 and up!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

d100 dice roller
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 06:41:07 PM »
My Dad had a Trail 90 which he hauled around on the back of his house-car.  Later he bought a C70 Passport that I inherited after his passing in the 1980's.  I still ride it occasionally, great little machine. 

The Cushman Trailster I inherited from my Cousin is now being looked after by my Son.  Here I am sitting on the thing in his garage.

Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Sulls1kr

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:13 PM »
That's me, a good many years ago. :clock:.

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 04:44:07 PM »
Air!  Welcome to the forum, Sulls1kr.  That is a neat machine.  I'm looking forward to sorting out my '68 CT90 in the near future.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here