Author Topic: Possibilities  (Read 27808 times)

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
Possibilities
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:51:30 AM »
Possibilities

I’m seriously considering hitting the road for a while when the weather gets warmer. It’s been decades since I lived as a true Tramp and since I’m not nearly as young and flexible as I used to be, I have to think things out a bit first.

I have a good tent, and it should be adequate for at least this summer. I’ll probably want to get a better sleeping bag; and I think I should get an air mattress. I’ve been using a couple of Thermarest pads, but I think one air mattress would be a better idea than two pads on top of each other. Also, I think I should get a Jet Boil. I’ve really become addicted to my morning coffee.

Another thing I‘m pondering is what bike should I ride.  I thought about getting a cheap used Guzzi. (a Tonti five speed in some flavor), but finding shops is kinda tough sometimes, and I still haven’t gotten over the time my 850 T ate it’s u-joint in Minneapolis. There was only one dealership in the state, and they didn’t have one. I had to leave my bike there for a month, then fly back and pick it up. Then I had to redo the job out in the parking lot, as the kid who worked on the bike didn’t know much about the bike, and didn’t do the job right.

My Norge has lost its sparkle for me. It’s got less than 65,000 miles, and it just doesn’t quite give me the feeling that it would be trouble free enough. Add to that the scarcity of Guzzi dealers, and using it looks even less attractive. I don’t know if I’ll sell it or store it.

I’ve thought seriously about getting an old Buell S3-T, but they’re getting pretty scarce, and they aren’t quite as cheap as they were a few years ago. The problems that plagued my old ’98 have been addressed, and the bike could be pretty reliable. If I could find one cheap enough, it would be a serious contender.

I’m thinking about getting a used Sportster; preferably one from between ’91 and ’03.  The Sportster has an incredibly stout engine. It should be good for close to 100,000 miles without serious maintenance. If I get a 5 speed, it’ll have belt drive, which is low maintenance, and should it become necessary, easy to replace. Oil changes are a snap as is primary chain adjustment. And if something does go wrong that I can’t fix on the side of the road, there are Harley dealers everywhere. And there are even more decent Independent repair shops. Yeah, Sportsters vibrate; but I used to drill rock for a living and the vibes are nothing compared to what a Jackleg drill produces. I can handle the vibes.

I’ve owned a few Sportsters over the years, and I’ve put tens of thousands of miles on them. Right now, there’s a glut of used Sportsters on the market, and the prices are really affordable. I’ve found three this week alone on Craigslist for well under 3 grand (two are $2500 and the prettiest one is at two grand). One thing I have to consider is how much it will cost me to set up the bike.  I don’t like forward controls, ape hangers or loud pipes. If I’m going to be riding this bike for days at a time, I want it to be comfortable. Mid controls and Highway pegs work for me, and I know what bars would be right, as well (they came stock on a ’79 FXEF, along with many other models). Plus, I want waterproof hard bags. That could be a bit tough to find, but I know they’re out there.

So far, it all looks pretty much doable. There’s only one small problem, and that’s medical. I have to take a blood thinner every day, and the level of it in my blood is critical. Too much, and I could bleed to death; too little and I’m likely to have a stroke. I’ve been getting my blood drawn every week or two to measure the levels and that involves going to the hospital and having them stick me with a needle. I know that there’s a device that measures the levels that works in a similar manner to what diabetics do to measure their sugar. I prick my finger and place a drop of blood on a little piece of film, then insert it into this device that reads the level of Warfarin in my blood. For some stupid reason, the insurance company won’t pay for this device even though it would save them thousands in short order. They will pay for the supplies for it, though. I guess I’ll just have to pony up the cash and buy the tester on my own (Any time you think dealing with a government bureaucracy is bad; just try dealing with an Insurance Company bureaucracy. They make the Feds look streamlined).

Back when I was a Tramp, one of my travelling companions was David Kaelin. He never paid rent anywhere. He had a job working on a Tow Boat pushing barges on the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers, and he worked one month on, one month off. When he was at work, he lived on the boat. When he was off the boat, he would get on his bike and travel. I learned a lot from him about how to live on the road. I think it can be done for a reasonable price.

I have many friends and Family that I haven’t seen for a long time. I’d really enjoy travelling around, maybe catching a few Flat Track races, and visiting my two brothers and sister and their families, and seeing my friends across the country. I also want to see a few things that I just never got around to; like Monument Valley or Las Vegas or the North side of Lake Superior; or maybe even Alaska. I still have the itch to ride up to the Arctic Circle.

After doing this for the summer, I could jump on a plane and fly to Brisbane and spend some time with Ron and Melia and let the winter here pass by. For once, I could do North in the summer and South in the winter. For years, I would go to a warm climate in the summer, and then come back to New England for the winter months. I didn’t even have the sense that God gave a duck!

Oh; one other thing I’d have to get is a laptop computer so I could keep in touch with everybody and post on my favorite forums. I also have to learn how to take pictures with my cell phone, but that will be easy enough, or maybe just get an inexpensive Point and Shoot camera.

Things are looking pretty interesting for the coming year!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Possibilities
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:06:45 AM »
I’ve thought seriously about getting an old Buell S3-T, but they’re getting pretty scarce, and they aren’t quite as cheap as they were a few years ago. The problems that plagued my old ’98 have been addressed, and the bike could be pretty reliable. If I could find one cheap enough, it would be a serious contender.

I’m thinking about getting a used Sportster; preferably one from between ’91 and ’03.  The Sportster has an incredibly stout engine. It should be good for close to 100,000 miles without serious maintenance. If I get a 5 speed, it’ll have belt drive, which is low maintenance, and should it become necessary, easy to replace. Oil changes are a snap as is primary chain adjustment. And if something does go wrong that I can’t fix on the side of the road, there are Harley dealers everywhere. And there are even more decent Independent repair shops. Yeah, Sportsters vibrate; but I used to drill rock for a living and the vibes are nothing compared to what a Jackleg drill produces. I can handle the vibes.

I’ve owned a few Sportsters over the years, and I’ve put tens of thousands of miles on them. Right now, there’s a glut of used Sportsters on the market, and the prices are really affordable. I’ve found three this week alone on Craigslist for well under 3 grand (two are $2500 and the prettiest one is at two grand). One thing I have to consider is how much it will cost me to set up the bike.  I don’t like forward controls, ape hangers or loud pipes. If I’m going to be riding this bike for days at a time, I want it to be comfortable. Mid controls and Highway pegs work for me, and I know what bars would be right, as well (they came stock on a ’79 FXEF, along with many other models). Plus, I want waterproof hard bags. That could be a bit tough to find, but I know they’re out there.

Couple of thoughts on the bike front.

IF you want easy support anywhere, then go with the Sportster.

I would actually say 04-06 (Carb, STOUT, comfortable, more options for accessories and whatnot, plus more likely to have something in stock if needed).

Prices of an 04-06 won't really be any more than a decent latemodel solidmount.

Setup is probably easy with take-offs. Even if it's got loud pipes, forwards, and apes (and a LOT of them don't) since so many people change that stuff out, you should be able to find cheap used midmounts, bars, and stock mufflers.

THAT SAID - IF YOU SERIOUSLY THINK YOU MIGHT WANT AN S3T, I've got one for you that I've been toying with selling because as AWESOME AS IT IS, I just don't think it's me. I think I'm more of a W650 or Bonnie, or even Scout kinda guy.

I've got a price in mind that I've floated and it was a magic number that I'd sell it for (it would convince me).

But I'd give you a significant WG discount.

It's VERY clean, very nice, and very well appointed (Buell Supertrap, Buell RACE ECM, Corbin, taller windscreen, Fiam, etc.)

Still, the Sporty might make more sense.

Then again, life isn't always about making sense.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:09:22 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »
If I were lucky enough to do something like that.. I would get a used but like new KLR..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

scf

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »
   another good choice for this might be a vstrom 650 adventure

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
   another good choice for this might be a vstrom 650 adventure

;-T  Any 650 V Strom would be perfect for this type of duty, and lots of folks have ridden them on long trips for that very reason. Economical, super reliable, roomy, and there are thousands of very nice used models out there for sale under $4K.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

dilligaf

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
I always "just go".  Putting my money were my mouth is:
Some where in New England Fall of 2014

Mexico

Big Bend National Park

Copper Canyon , Mexico

Canada

Alaska--that's RK with the fish pole

Just go.  ;D  ;D  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 11:46:45 AM »
This is going to be about the experience, not about the bike.   I imagine that when you're done, the specific brand and type of bike you went on will be 3% of the tales you'll tell and memories you'll have.

Be a real tramp.  Either ride what you've got (your Norge is probably as or more reliable than anyone else's used bike, especially one of unknown provenance), or get some tramp bike and take off.

You're not meeting a schedule, you're not racing a clock, if it breaks you fix it or get help, you won't need a dealer.

I might see you on the road next summer.  No telling what I might be riding ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
I know two guys who do this every year and they both use the Wee Strom.  Before that they had used Connie's.  If looks isn't among the top 5 reasons to buy a motorcycle then there are too many advantages to ignore with the DL650: bullet proof design, dealer network (even after Chapter 11), after market support, and parts availability.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
My two cents, get a smart phone, one of the larger ones. It can be a phone, GPS, computer and camera. Lord know what else. Point being, traveling light, combine as many functions into one device to save room - and only carry one charger.

I borrowed my wife's self inflating pad from REI for the last rally. Worked better, and quieter, than the air mattress. Kinda bulky though. Bought a Wolfman medium water proof duffle to put it and the tent in (along with a few minor items).

For the bike, whatever gets good mileage and fits you real well. Both can cost you too much if you choose wrong. :) While I think the V-strom is an excellent choice, the CB1100 would be nice too. 52+ mpg, smooth, flickable, fuel injection...... Not too hard to pick up if you fall, especially if you have the case savers on. Motor is not all that exciting, but it will get you to where you are going. Chain will want lube at the end of each day - and last, maybe to 20K miles.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Damnyankee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
Possibilities

I’m seriously considering hitting the road for a while when the weather gets warmer. It’s been decades since I lived as a true Tramp and since I’m not nearly as young and flexible as I used to be, I have to think things out a bit first.

I have a good tent, and it should be adequate for at least this summer. I’ll probably want to get a better sleeping bag; and I think I should get an air mattress. I’ve been using a couple of Thermarest pads, but I think one air mattress would be a better idea than two pads on top of each other. Also, I think I should get a Jet Boil. I’ve really become addicted to my morning coffee.

Another thing I‘m pondering is what bike should I ride.  I thought about getting a cheap used Guzzi. (a Tonti five speed in some flavor), but finding shops is kinda tough sometimes, and I still haven’t gotten over the time my 850 T ate it’s u-joint in Minneapolis. There was only one dealership in the state, and they didn’t have one. I had to leave my bike there for a month, then fly back and pick it up. Then I had to redo the job out in the parking lot, as the kid who worked on the bike didn’t know much about the bike, and didn’t do the job right.

My Norge has lost its sparkle for me. It’s got less than 65,000 miles, and it just doesn’t quite give me the feeling that it would be trouble free enough. Add to that the scarcity of Guzzi dealers, and using it looks even less attractive. I don’t know if I’ll sell it or store it.

I’m thinking about getting a used Sportster; preferably one from between ’91 and ’03.  The Sportster has an incredibly stout engine. It should be good for close to 100,000 miles without serious maintenance. If I get a 5 speed, it’ll have belt drive, which is low maintenance, and should it become necessary, easy to replace. Oil changes are a snap as is primary chain adjustment. And if something does go wrong that I can’t fix on the side of the road, there are Harley dealers everywhere. And there are even more decent Independent repair shops. Yeah, Sportsters vibrate; but I used to drill rock for a living and the vibes are nothing compared to what a Jackleg drill produces. I can handle the vibes.

I’ve owned a few Sportsters over the years, and I’ve put tens of thousands of miles on them. Right now, there’s a glut of used Sportsters on the market, and the prices are really affordable. I’ve found three this week alone on Craigslist for well under 3 grand (two are $2500 and the prettiest one is at two grand). One thing I have to consider is how much it will cost me to set up the bike.  I don’t like forward controls, ape hangers or loud pipes. If I’m going to be riding this bike for days at a time, I want it to be comfortable. Mid controls and Highway pegs work for me, and I know what bars would be right, as well (they came stock on a ’79 FXEF, along with many other models). Plus, I want waterproof hard bags. That could be a bit tough to find, but I know they’re out there.

So far, it all looks pretty much doable. There’s only one small problem, and that’s medical. I have to take a blood thinner every day, and the level of it in my blood is critical. Too much, and I could bleed to death; too little and I’m likely to have a stroke. I’ve been getting my blood drawn every week or two to measure the levels and that involves going to the hospital and having them stick me with a needle. I know that there’s a device that measures the levels that works in a similar manner to what diabetics do to measure their sugar. I prick my finger and place a drop of blood on a little piece of film, then insert it into this device that reads the level of Warfarin in my blood. For some stupid reason, the insurance company won’t pay for this device even though it would save them thousands in short order. They will pay for the supplies for it, though. I guess I’ll just have to pony up the cash and buy the tester on my own (Any time you think dealing with a government bureaucracy is bad; just try dealing with an Insurance Company bureaucracy. They make the Feds look streamlined).

Back when I was a Tramp, one of my travelling companions was David Kaelin. He never paid rent anywhere. He had a job working on a Tow Boat pushing barges on the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers, and he worked one month on, one month off. When he was at work, he lived on the boat. When he was off the boat, he would get on his bike and travel. I learned a lot from him about how to live on the road. I think it can be done for a reasonable price.

I have many friends and Family that I haven’t seen for a long time. I’d really enjoy travelling around, maybe catching a few Flat Track races, and visiting my two brothers and sister and their families, and seeing my friends across the country. I also want to see a few things that I just never got around to; like Monument Valley or Las Vegas or the North side of Lake Superior; or maybe even Alaska. I still have the itch to ride up to the Arctic Circle.

After doing this for the summer, I could jump on a plane and fly to Brisbane and spend some time with Ron and Melia and let the winter here pass by. For once, I could do North in the summer and South in the winter. For years, I would go to a warm climate in the summer, and then come back to New England for the winter months. I didn’t even have the sense that God gave a duck!

Oh; one other thing I’d have to get is a laptop computer so I could keep in touch with everybody and post on my favorite forums. I also have to learn how to take pictures with my cell phone, but that will be easy enough, or maybe just get an inexpensive Point and Shoot camera.

Things are looking pretty interesting for the coming year!

Man, this sounds like fun! Don't forget a Gopro :BEER: Maybe I'll try something like this in Italy. Thanks for the idea ;-T

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
I'd go with the Norge, should be more reliable than a Buell 'tuber or a Sportster... Just keep up the maintenance and the Norge should do fine. As for electronics, there's a bunch of solutions- big screen cell phone for everything or cheap cell phone + tablet or laptop. WiFi is getting pretty common, and you can get a cell modem on a pay as you go plan pretty cheap for the places with no WiFi. For camping gear a decent tent, Thermarest, and sleeping bag rated for a bit colder than the coldest temp you'd ride in should suffice. Add a few days worth of clothes and munchies and maybe some compact cook gear and you're good to go!

Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »
Man O Man Kev thats a nice looking Buell.
Galaxy S5 Active phone has a 18 mega pixel camera that takes really good photos and its waterproof and pretty much shockproof in the right case. Get a used IPad and you are set to jet.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »
If I were lucky enough to do something like that.. I would get a used but like new KLR..
on second thought, you'd look pretty good touring on a Sportster.

http://www.rubberonroad.com/2010/02/turning-an-h-d-sportster-into-a-touring-bike/
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
I'd go with the Norge, should be more reliable than a Buell 'tuber or a Sportster... Just keep up the maintenance and the Norge should do fine.

I think the potential reliability concern is IF something funky happens (like a dash failure, I know they are a lot less common on the Norge than the B11) then he's dead in the water without any hope of timely help.

And FWIW the late-model Sportys are darn near bulletproof. WAY MORE so than my Cali was, and arguably more so than my B11 (ok, not arguably, considering the trouble Jay has had with it, our Sporty has been WAY more reliable).

But the big advantage is local mechanics and parts pretty much EVERYWHERE for a Sporty (or sporty motor).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »
If you're going to be a tramp you want a ratty old bike like a loop or an EV. You don't need to travel long distance in a day because you have no timeline. If you breakdown all you need to do is let us know and sit tight until you figure it out or one of your forum buddies picks you up.

I say go for it, it will add years to your life or at least life to your years ;-T
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »
Your biggest challenge seems to be the blood thinner.  Have you checked into changing from Wafarin to one of the new ones that don't require frequent blood checks?
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »
Your biggest challenge seems to be the blood thinner.  Have you checked into changing from Wafarin to one of the new ones that don't require frequent blood checks?

I have a mechanical aortic valve. I can't use the new drugs. If you listen to all the warnings in the ads, they specify to not take it if you have an artificial valve.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 07:05:16 PM »
The Buell would scare me more than the Norge but you know better.

;-T on a Tonti Cali or VStrom too. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
If you're going to be a tramp you want a ratty old bike like a loop or an EV. You don't need to travel long distance in a day because you have no timeline. If you breakdown all you need to do is let us know and sit tight until you figure it out or one of your forum buddies picks you up.

I say go for it, it will add years to your life or at least life to your years ;-T

And Kiwi Roy is the man who knows.   He bought a partially running non-charging EV in Colorado last year and showed up at the Ouray NAR.    He relaxed, worked on his bike till it would get him to the next stop, and headed there on his way to British Columbia, fixing it as it needed it.   

Never saw a man as "Un-Worried" about whether his bike would get him there or not.   Just do what you gotta do and go, that was the spirit .....

Lannis

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
First of all, this sounds like great fun, and I would love to jump on the bike and just ride.  Besides, I have 17 states left to ride through on the EV to collect 49, and I'm determined to do that.  Time is really in shorter supply than money for something like that (even though the money part is in bad shape too ::)).

As for bikes, I thought this was a Guzzi forum.  I would not hesitate to ride my '98 EV anywhere right now.  It has 133,000 miles on it and runs just fine. I'm used to working on it, its quirks and potential failures, and I don't wish to relearn all this on a new ride.   In fact, the only thing I would do embarking on a 10,000 mile ride is check the air in the tires, have enough dough on hand for a new set of skins along the way and just pack and go.

Oh yes, I might get a new set of shocks if funds permitted, but would go with the current ones if necessary. ;)
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »
Crusty,
      You have a great opportunity and I hope you jump on it. I have wanted to do the same thing. I am new to Guzzi and am still learning but before I purchased my 89 Lemans I knew I wanted a carburated  low tech bike and the older Guzzi fit that description. In my research it appeared that these older bikes are very reliable and less prone to some of the problems that you get with bikes with a lot of electronic controls.  The Guzzi being shaft drive is a big plus with not having to deal with a chain or belt. Simplicity of maintenance is also a huge plus.  You have a great resource in this forum and parts available between MG and Harpers.
      That being said,  there are HD dealers on every corner so when you need help it is close by.

andrewdonald1

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 11:01:07 PM »
Roll baby roll... get out there and do it... Lord knows I am working 14 hr days right now.. and my 30's were gone in a blink...
Do it!  

Rat out.. be free.. forget the GPS.. ride with the weather patterns.. roll into little crappy towns and create some questionable looks.. enjoy it bro.. time is short in our lives..

Buy some crappy thing that worries you.. you might have an adventure.. isn't that what you are looking for?

My best vacations on the bikes?  Start date, end date.. a general direction.. and I am off.
I made some awesome friends on the road that way..still in touch with them.
One of them used a beer can to protect his oil filter from rocks from his front tire.. the other guy was on a ratted out Road King with faded cheap leathers (black faded light brown) no windshield for thousands of miles..always stopped at the tavern and always order two beers to kick it off for himself.
Go for it...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:07:03 PM by andrewdonald1 »

expat42451

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 11:44:26 PM »
Go!! Absolutely !

I left the US in 2012 with a backpack. Still in South America- Huanchaco Peru.  Bought a cabin on a container ship and came down to Colombia and have been wandering around down here since. I got tired of sitting on the damn front porch every day (I am 63)  and life getting to where it didn't seem to have any point. All I had to look forward to  was radio nets occasionally (I am an amateur radio operator) and it was not enough. So go absolutely.  Reason I found all of you is looking for a bike to continue my trip on, doing something like you plan to do Crusty but for me, because I am tired of riding the bus.  I could not be more in favour of what you are planning to do. Absolutely.

What else you ought to consider is writing about your other travels as well.

Respectfully

Expat

If I was going to come back to the US and wander I am damned if I wouldn't be tempted to do it on something like this...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028316
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:55:48 PM by expat42451 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 07:15:24 AM »
The Guzzi being shaft drive is a big plus with not having to deal with a chain or belt.

Shaft drive is awesomely convenient on the road, and I'd argue better with dirt/gravel than a belt.

But a belt requires almost no other attention. They tend to set and not require any adjustment for often 10s of thousands of miles, and obviously they require no cleaning or lubing.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 07:42:13 AM »
Early to mid 90's BMW airhead GS.
Shaft drive, easy to do roadside repairs/maintenance, pretty good dealer support, good owners group support.
Mines been trouble free.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
Sounds like great fun and adventure though I'm a motel/resturaunt type of guy.  As far as choice of bike..............m ost comfortable.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »
Buddy of mine, years ago, planned us out a "Hobo" tour(Natchez Trace down into New Orleans) involving bathing in streams, sleeping just wherever etc...
We were hardly going spend a dime, which was about all I had.. I was ALL UP for it ;-T
At the last second, he invites his girlfriend.
EVERY night was spent in a nice hotel room w/ the bill split two ways and I got stuck on the fold-out cot each night! :wife:
Anyways, left them in Orleans and continued down to Mexico, turned around and came back home to Hotlanta. :bike
Bike was a `71 BMW R75/5. NO problems whatsoever.

For what it's worth, if I were to do it tomorrow, it would be on Kev's Buell ! 
I love that thing !!

Also, learn of your surroundings when tent camping, I was warned by the tourism center in Brownsville that several small gangs run through the parks at night.
I got a motel room... :BEER:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 05:41:50 AM »
Well, If you are not going to wander on a guzzi my recommendation would be to do it on a 650 v-strom. Very reliable, good handling do anything fun pack mule of a motorcycle. Travel at almost any speed you want. Good gas mileage- mine averages 53mpg on regular doing my normal run around riding. It gets higher gas mileage riding steady on the hiway at 55 -65. Its easy to find a used one already setup for traveling and at a really good price. I bought mine from a guy on the ADV rider site and after I paid him I rode it 400 miles at night in the rain to get it home. Two weeks later after a tire and oil change I took it on a 28 day 8100 mile ride about the USA. If you are going to wander about in the U.S. its a great bike choice.
  Having said all that I know that whatever your bike choice you are going to have a great and memorable time. More than our bike and equipment it is our attitude that is the determining factor in our adventures. Have fun.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »

Also, learn of your surroundings when tent camping, I was warned by the tourism center in Brownsville that several small gangs run through the parks at night.
I got a motel room... :BEER:

Looks like the tourism center would mention that to the local cops rather than bothering the tourists with it?   "Small gangs running through the park at night" sounds pretty easy to find and stop to me!

Lannis

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
Yes, she could not believe I was tent camping on a motorcycle around there..
Tried to pitch tent near road on South Padre Island, sand and wind got the better of me.

Well, all this was 30 15 years ago.
Probably gotten a little better since then. :BEER:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:31:45 PM by tazio »
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here