Author Topic: Possibilities  (Read 27816 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Possibilities
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »
Looks like the tourism center would mention that to the local cops rather than bothering the tourists with it?   "Small gangs running through the park at night" sounds pretty easy to find and stop to me!

Lannis

I would think that's exactly the type of thing that a tourism center worker with a brother-in-law with a motel would tell tourists regardless of the truth.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
I have a 2005 Sportster 1200R. It has all the juice I need. It does vibrate more than a Guzzi, but not nearly like a 2003 or older Sporty, or a pre-2001 Bonneville. It has the advantages of a single carb, no balancing to worry about. Also, hydraulic lifters that need no adjustment. Belt drive, as described. Super parts and service availability. Mine eats fuel like crazy, (30 something MPG) at least as compared to the other similiar bikes I've owned (Guzzi, BMW, late model Bonneville. As a comparison, BMW K75 got 45 mpg and the Bonneville with sidecar gets better than the Sporty. Does the extra 300cc mean THAT much?). I put a 4.5 gallon tank on mine and now I can go a whopping 100 miles before hitting reserve.  ;). Comfort is relative, but the Sporty is definitely a solo machine for me unless I find a ballerina who wants a ride; unlikely.  :-\  People can and have toured on them. The center of gravity seems higher on my Sportster than a Tonti Guzzi. It also seems more short coupled. The numbers probably deny it, but a Tonti Guzzi feels more at home and balanced  on a bigger variety of road conditions. I hope you have a wonderful journey. Please post a log here.  ;-T

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:42:58 AM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about gps. On my hobo trip through the States last October, every time I was stopped by the side of the road with a map open, some very helpful person stopped and helped me find my way. Met some very nice people to boot!   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 12:23:51 PM »
I would think that's exactly the type of thing that a tourism center worker with a brother-in-law with a motel would tell tourists regardless of the truth.

Good point!  My mind's not yet cynical and devious enough to have considered that ...

Uh, no offense to present company of course!   ;)  :D

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 12:23:51 PM »

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »
I have ridden through more US States on a Guzzi, but I've ridden Harleys in more countries.  I've put more miles total on Harleys than Guzzis, though I've put more miles on Guzzis than Sportsters. I have toured extensively on both marques and both make good machines. The things that I'm factoring into my decision are that in 1979, my 850 T3 ate its U-joint while travelling through Minneapolis, and I had to leave the bike at the only Guzzi shop in the state for a month while I rode a bus back to Louisville to go back to work on time. Also, my Norge electrics do funny things. I think it's all dash related, but things still get screwy for uncertain reasons. I have no assurance that the bike won't die without warning in the middle of Nevada on US 50; and that would really suck. Mechanically, the bike is as reliable as an anvil, but electrically it does weird things. Right now, sometimes when I hit the starter button, the bike will run only while the button is depressed for a few seconds. After a few seconds, it will run fine, but once I had to ride for a couple of miles with my thumb pushing the starter button before the engine wouldn't die. (Fortunately, the starter cuts out after the bike fires). Plus, my dash likes to blare SERVICE! even though there's nothing wrong, and it trips all the codes in the memory. It's running fine, but the idea of having to spend big money on a dash while on the road scares me, especially when dealers are so scarce and competent dealers are even scarcer.
I deliberately picked a '91 through 03 Sportster as these are the most reliable and easy to maintain. They do vibrate more than a rubber mount, but there are a few design features that I prefer over both earlier and later models. As far as fuel mileage, I've owned three others (an '86 1100, and a '79 and an '84 10000 that always gave me well over 40 MPG. Maybe when Harley built the rubber mount bikes, they did something that caused them to be gas hogs?
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
Crusty: " As far as fuel mileage, I've owned three others (an '86 1100, and a '79 and an '84 10000 that always gave me well over 40 MPG. Maybe when Harley built the rubber mount bikes, they did something that caused them to be gas hogs?"

It does weigh about 50 pounds more than a pre 2004 Sporty. Plus my lard arse.  :D I can't nail down an answer to this. Some guys report far better mileage with the same type bike. Others say mine is typical. Mine starts and runs reliably, with the occasional carb fart. Maybe all I need is a J.B. Ratguzzi inspired Frankentank. 7 gallons?  :D
2017 Suzuki DR650

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
I've owned both solidmount EVO Sportsters and rubbermount EVO Sportsters.

I don't believe the solidmounts are in ANY way more reliable.

Shorty, I tend to get poor mileage on a lot of my bikes compared to a lot of other owners of the same models.

As low as 47 sometimes on my V7 where other have gotten as much as 57.

As low as high 30's on my Jackal or low 40's on my B11 where others got 40 and 50 respectively.

And on my rubbermount Sportster I usually get only 40 wire others have gotten 45+. But I almost NEVER get only 30.

Someone futz'd with your jetting???
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2014, 03:58:51 PM »
I've owned both solidmount EVO Sportsters and rubbermount EVO Sportsters.

I don't believe the solidmounts are in ANY way more reliable.

Shorty, I tend to get poor mileage on a lot of my bikes compared to a lot of other owners of the same models.

As low as 47 sometimes on my V7 where other have gotten as much as 57.

As low as high 30's on my Jackal or low 40's on my B11 where others got 40 and 50 respectively.

And on my rubbermount Sportster I usually get only 40 wire others have gotten 45+. But I almost NEVER get only 30.

Someone futz'd with your jetting???
  check PM Kev
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
For a long solo trip to parts unknown, I'd want a bike I didn't have to worry about, unless being broke down in the middle of nowhere is part of your planned adventure. Seems you don't trust your Norge, so you must be pondering reliability. If you want trusted reliability and dealer service not far away and good price point , buy used Japanese.
The DL650 has been mentioned, the DL1000 is another great choice. But a better bargain with super road performance would be a 1200 Bandit. You can add side bags trunk etc. But I had an extended camping trip on mine with a large duffle bag an the rear seat and a tank bag.
The damn bike is bullet proof, comfortable, extremely fast. Any used Jap bike in that category would work for me to roam around the continent. My FJR is my long distance ride of choice. It's reliable, comfortable, 45 MPG, but it's heavy and maybe more expensive than other possibilities. If you trusted the Norge, that would almost be its equal. In any case enjoy the adventure. Wish I could be there with you.
Bill

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2014, 08:14:54 PM »
love my Bandit.  stock seat is a killer.  get a later one or a 1250 unless you can live 33 mpg.

very cheap used motorcycle.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:16:06 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 04:22:09 AM »
I don't understand?
If you guys are so convinced you Guzzis are going to break down why do you even own one?

Shute the electrics may be a bit flakey but all you need is to figure out how to bypass it.

Sent from my shoe phone!
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re: Possibilities
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 04:42:38 AM »
I don't understand?
If you guys are so convinced you Guzzis are going to break down why do you even own one?

Shute the electrics may be a bit flakey but all you need is to figure out how to bypass it.

Sent from my shoe phone!
I think his concern is no one knows how to bypass a failed dash on a CARC.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2014, 06:39:48 AM »
A Guzzi forum-and did anyone say Jackal?

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 07:59:28 AM »
first go to REI and get a cot. slightly bigger to stow but way more comfortable than a air mattress. when do you hit 65. medi-care with an AARP United health care supplement cures medical costs. I haven't paid a dime for any of the 6 procedures I have had this year and the prescription costs are very low.
98-2002 EV or Jackal is a good choice. cheap, reliable and members everywhere willing to help. DL 650 was in my garage for 2 years until I totaled it. great second choice as is a KLR 650. last 2 run on cheap gas and get great MPG. and have big gas tanks.
for the last 3 years I have left with only a general direction in mind and traveled for a month give or take a few days. usually 10,000 miles. I plan nothing and expect nothing so I'm never disappointed, but I enjoy it all. When I see an interesting road I take it. when I see a lake or a stream i pull out a collapsible rod and a cigar and fish for a while. I just did a 10 K on a wing and only about 500 miles was on the interstate.  I rough it in flea bag motels. I value the private shower / toilet and a dry roof over my head.
I have been hauling small lap top but if you can tolerate one of the new gizmo phones (I can't, flip for me) it would be better. lap tops don't like the heat of a saddle bag.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 08:03:07 AM »
I don't understand?

Sent from my shoe phone!

Why do I own one? because when I owned my V7 Sport, I never had to worry about the bike. I want a bike that's as trouble free as it was. I rode across Nevada in August, 1978 and the bike never missed a beat, even though the temps were really close to 120F. I've figured out how to bypass the SERVICE! warning, but not the right meds to straighten out the schitzophrenic dash. My Norge was pretty much trouble free until the dash got weird. And lastly, I still own it because I used it for collateral on a loan when I was trying to save my house, and the bank holds the title. I told the Loan Officer that if they gave me a loan, I would give my Word of Honor that I'd pay it back. Also, the Norge is my only motorized transportation at the present time.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
A Guzzi forum-and did anyone say Jackal?

:+1

Dusty

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »
love my Bandit.  stock seat is a killer.  get a later one or a 1250 unless you can live 33 mpg.

LowRyter...Your B12 picture makes me miss mine so! What a machine and could easily be modded into a super sports tourer. Mine with just a few simple mods turned over 125 MPH in the quarter mile. For me even stock it was very comfortable.
Bill

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Re: Re: Possibilities
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
I think his concern is no one knows how to bypass a failed dash on a CARC.
Fair enough, I have no experience with modern Guzzis.
Something simple like a carbed California II, or an old loop then.
I think an EV or Jackal would be my choice although the tanks are too small, I barely 150 miles on the EV
Carry a couple of spare wheel bearings, or replace them before setting out, make sure the uni joint is in good condition.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 08:39:04 AM »
The more I see of the computerized stuff, the more I like my non-computer bike  :)

I have had a couple issues when riding distances.  Throttle cables and that weird thing with the front spring (it collapsed on me after hitting a big bump).  But, a couple hours and I got it back on the road (pull the fork tube, disassemble, unjam the spring seat, reassemble).  I would (and do) ride my 30 yr old T5 anywhere, including graded dirt roads.

So, I'd say, get a 80/90's era goose of choice and go.  Would be fairly cheap too  :)

PS if you like the fairing option, then look for an SPIII or Cali III.  My T5 has an SPIII fairing and I love it.

PPS I would not rule out electronic fuel injection either.  It's just those pesky dash panels that annoy me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:40:50 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 08:45:11 AM »
The more I see of the computerized stuff, the more I like my non-computer bike  :)

I have had a couple issues when riding distances.  Throttle cables and that weird thing with the front spring (it collapsed on me after hitting a big bump).  But, a couple hours and I got it back on the road (pull the fork tube, disassemble, unjam the spring seat, reassemble).  I would (and do) ride my 30 yr old T5 anywhere, including graded dirt roads.

So, I'd say, get a 80/90's era goose of choice and go.  Would be fairly cheap too  :)

PS if you like the fairing option, then look for an SPIII or Cali III.  My T5 has an SPIII fairing and I love it.

PPS I would not rule out electronic fuel injection either.  It's just those pesky dash panels that annoy me.

That's just it (the PPS). It's not the computers per se. We've had computers in every car on the road for decades now. They are, for the most part, quite reliable. Probably more reliable than any electronic ignition module made decades before that.

The issue in this particular case was some goofy decision to make the ECM reliant upon a much less trouble-free dash for certain CARC models to work. The flaky dashes have now given those otherwise bulletproof reliable bikes a black eye.

There ought to be a way to just shut off the anti-theft logic on the older ones so owners won't have to worry about it anymore. It's not like anyone is stealing a 8 year old Breva 1100 or Norge anyway.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
Kev; you're doing a better job of describing my logic than I can. Thanks.
I have thought about an older Tonti. If I could find one cheap enough, I might go for one. I focused on Sportsters mainly because there are so many of them out there that there are bargains to be had. I also am having a hard getting past the time my 850 died in Minneapolis and I had to leave it there for a month. I know that parts availability has improved a lot, and that, if necessary, parts can be Overnighted, but the distrust is still there. It can be overcome, though.
I also have a similar distrust for Buells. While I know that all the problems I had with my S3 have been addressed, I still have that little bit of uncertainty.
The reasons I focused in Sportsters between '91 and '03 are that in 91, Harley started putting a 5 speed transmission in them, and the MoCo also moved the alternator to the crankshaft from the back of the clutch basket. Which means that if a rotor goes south, it won't cost as much of a fortune to replace. Also, they started putting belt on them, which means less maintenance. The rubber mount Sportsters would probably be fine, but they're too new and thus too expensive. There are also a couple of things that I don't care for in the design of the rubber mounts, but price is the biggest thing.
The best deal that I've seen, so far is this Tonti; and if I can come up with the cash, I'll probably spring for it.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/4752105620.html

Then all I'd have to do is sort out the wiring issues, get some hard bags and put tires on it.

'07 Norge

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
Guess we're thinking similarly.

Sporty, I hear you on the prices, though the rubbermounts (especially the carb ones) are now getting old enough that they're in the same ballpark. Like airheads, the price levels out and sorta sits there. You can spend as much on an older solidmount as you would an 04-06 rubbermount these days.

Not pushing, just explaining.

As for the Buell thing, you know them better than I.

But I'm not kidding on the make you a deal thing... Though maybe you wouldn't want to use this one for that.

I'm looking to hand it off to a new "steward" to look after it cause it's such a clean example.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
After sitting in Ely Nevada and wanting to get to Tonopah Nevada but that being at the ragged edge of what the Quota could do I had to take the long way around, but with better spaced gas stops.

So I'm a wee bit more keen on good mileage and proper sized gas tanks; no matter what you ride. 'Cause some places in the west are might wide between gas stations. Wider still for food and lodging. Or use gas-paks.

Too many good choices for you; but in your case I think you'd enjoy the trip more with a machine you knew rather than worry about a mount with evils you didn't know. And what fits you, again, our western states can be a bit too big when it comes to lousy ergo's.  :P

Or arrange to ride different bikes across the country. It will mean a bit more planning; but you could start off on the Beull, swap for a Bandit 1200, then a HD, then a Jackel etc. Then you can claim you once took a vacation so long you went through eight bikes!  ;D
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »
If on a tight budget I'd also pay attention to the ergos of whatever bikes you look at, seat especially.  Some HD's have some pretty awful seats fitted to them.  Same with bars.

Having said that, it can be fairly simple (and cheap) to 'fix' a bad seat.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »
The best deal that I've seen, so far is this Tonti; and if I can come up with the cash, I'll probably spring for it.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/4752105620.html

Then all I'd have to do is sort out the wiring issues, get some hard bags and put tires on it.
That's the ticket, comfy seat, take off the pillion and replace it with a good size rack then all you need is a top box.
I did something similar with my EV took the hard bags off and replaced the rear seat with a flat deck cobbled up from 1/8 aluminum to act as a table when camping rough. Everything I "really" need will fit in the top box and I'm not weighed down by two enormous hard bags full of crap I never use, The tent straps on top of the top box.
I met up with my buddy in Oregan, weighed down with everything but the kitchen sink so I bought a $10 duffle bag and strapped it on the back to take some of his surplus crap.
Small white gas stove that will run on gas at a pinch, 12Volt USB charger, spare wheel bearing
A Spot www.findmespot.com (I may have the url wrong or is it a China thing) to let family and friends (us) track your progress or call for help. I like a GPS (cheap old TomTom in a plastic bag) to get me through a strange city, also great in the dark or fog to give a heads up on corners.

PS, you can see we want you to live our dream.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:51:25 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
If on a tight budget I'd also pay attention to the ergos of whatever bikes you look at, seat especially.  Some HD's have some pretty awful seats fitted to them.

THAT'S the understatement of the year... and I'm under the impression it's MOST of them... almost all...  :BEER:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »

If I was going to go to the Dark Side and get a Japanese 4, it would be one of those .... Always have liked 'em, don't know why .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2015, 06:23:23 PM »
Just a quick update; everything seems to be falling into place for this trip to happen.

I have the bike set up the way I want, with a sissy bar, luggage rack and saddlebag support brackets. The bike already has a windshield, touring seat and highway pegs. I got a set of good sized saddlebags and I did a "dry run";  packing the bags with a week's worth of clean clothes and I think I'll have no problems with enough room for what I'll be carrying. I bought a little Isobutane stove and a stainless pot to boil water in. The pot comes with 2 nesting cups that store inside it, and the stove fits inside as well, I did a dry run on the stove, and it works pretty nicely; so I don't have to worry about having a leisurely cup of coffee in the morning. I slept on the sleeping pad the other night (on the bedroom floor), and I think it will work fine. My only hiccup right now is my sleeping bag. The zipper loves to snag, and the last thing I want to deal with at 2:00 AM when I have to go to the can is a stuck zipper. I'm thinking of getting an Army MSS (Modular Sleep System) bag. My reasoning is that the zippers are designed for smooth, quick opening. (In combat conditions, a GI has to get up in a hurry). There are cheaper sleeping bags that would be warm enough, but I don't know if the zippers would snag, like on my present bag.

I'm also enlisting the help of my Primary Care Physician to hopefully coerce the Insurance Company into letting me get a self tester to take my INR readings. I really don't want to have to stop at a hospital once a week and get my blood drawn. I get my prescriptions from Target Pharmacy, so I should be able to get them refilled without any trouble.

I've got my tickets ordered for three of the Miles (Indy and the two Springfields) and I have front row seats at the finish line for all three. Tickets for DuQuoin aren't available yet, but it's the same promoter for DuQuoin and Indy and the nice lady I spoke to when I ordered my ticket for Indy said that the tickets should be available this week or next.

As the kick off time gets closer, I'm feeling more and more anticipation. I've been spending hours looking at the Campground Locator site: http://www.uscampgrounds.info/.

I have a tentative route planned for the first leg of my journey, and there's no Interstate Highway on it. This is going to be an Adventure!

'07 Norge

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2015, 07:30:29 PM »
Always a room out here for you Crusty.  :bike
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2015, 08:02:13 AM »
I guess I missed something.  Did you buy that Guuzi or did you go for an HD?

Sleeping bag zippers.  Go to REI and try them before you buy.  I have a North Face and if I don't get it right it will stick too.  Funny that the one bag I had that NEVER stuck was a cheapo from Costco...

I'll let someone else comment on the Army surplus stuff since I have not used the newer system.  The old mummy bags would get a zipper stuck every now and then.  Not fun.

FWIW, I have found that some bags like to be opened from the outside and some from the inside.  Can be a bit of a PITA.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here