Author Topic: Possibilities  (Read 27687 times)

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Possibilities
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »
Thread went from December 9 to March 8. From what you describe it sounds like you went with the Sporty.
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »
DR650 with a set of Pelicans and a big fuel cell. 250 mile fuel range, ability to explore non paved surface, reliable, parts are cheap and everywhere.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
Matthew; Thanks for the invite. I think I'll take you up on it. (to be honest, I was planning to stop by and visit, anyhow. ;) )

Charlie b and Samfrank, I had posted other threads about what bike I decided on and why; I guess you guys missed them.

I finally wound up with a 2005 XL1200 R Roadster. It has better suspension than most Sportsters, and has a better (double disc) front brake. It also has a rubber mounted engine. I got it for a very decent price, so that's what I settled on. 
Back in the '70s, I had an Army surplus Mountain sleeping bag. Although it loved to molt feathers, it was warm and it never fouled its zipper. This week, I'm going to go to a Surplus store and check out the new MSS bags. I want to "Try Before I Buy".
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
Good choice and good idea on the sleeping bag.

And if you get near this area give a shout too.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
Good choice and good idea on the sleeping bag.

And if you get near this area give a shout too.

The absolute best Mexican food I've ever eaten was in Albuquerque in 1969.  The restaurant that I used to frequent (Paco's) went out of business, but I still want to go back there for a truly magnificent  meal. Cheese enchiladas, burritos, Chiles Rellenos, and especially, Sopapillas. I'll send you a PM if it looks like I'm going to get close to you. And if you know of a good Mexican restaurant, all the better!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »
The ones I like are Garcia's (inexpensive but good food), Cervantes, Sadies, El Pinto and El Patron (expensive but has some things like casserole style enchiladas that you don't find everywhere).

There are quite a few others, actually several hundred others :)  

Then there are places like the Owl Cafe and Hurricanes where you can get diner type food with NM chiles.  Heck, I don't think there's a restaurant in town that does not have green chile to put on anything you order.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:58:27 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline G5

• New Egg
    • MotoGuzziGuy
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2015, 10:50:48 AM »
PM sent.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 200
2017 Royal Enfield 500

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2015, 04:07:40 AM »
I went by Ernie's yesterday and he took a couple of pictures of my new Sportster. It's a lot different from the Guzzi, but it's fun to ride!

'07 Norge

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2015, 06:48:24 AM »
That's a nice looking bike right there.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »
Windshield, touring seat, luggage rack, saddlebag supports... Already set up pretty darn well for your trip.

Have you figured out bag solutions? You might consider something that goes over the sissybar too.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Bjarne

• New Egg
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2015, 08:08:07 AM »
Great plans, hope it works out for you.
Regarding the blood thinner, you could switch from the Warfarin type to a different type of pills like  Xarelto, Pradaxa and another one I don't remember.
Take 2 pills ( 1 if it is xerelto) a day and that's it.  No more testing. Done. You're good.
It really made my life a lot simpler. Only drawback is the price is a lot higher.

Bjarne
1980 - 850 T3

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »
That's a nice looking bike right there.

Nice looking seat for sure.   A bit different from the "Cobra" seats that people like so much on Sportsters that were ridden bar-to-bar ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
Great plans, hope it works out for you.
Regarding the blood thinner, you could switch from the Warfarin type to a different type of pills like  Xarelto, Pradaxa and another one I don't remember.
Take 2 pills ( 1 if it is xerelto) a day and that's it.  No more testing. Done. You're good.
It really made my life a lot simpler. Only drawback is the price is a lot higher.

I can't take them. I have an artificial heart valve (a 21 mm Stainless and Carbon Aortic Valve). My doctor is working with me to get the Insurance Company to cough up a portable tester. After hearing some of the horror stories about some of the other blood thinners, I have no problem taking Warfarin and getting my finger pricked once a week. It's a lot better than hemorrhaging internally.

'07 Norge

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »
How To Become a Tramp; Chapter 92

Everything's coming along reasonably well. I haven't done a Dry Run yet; there's still too much melting snow along with road salt all over the streets here. Every time I take my bike out, I wind up at the "Magic Wand" Car Wash. My poor bike has almost as much time in the wash bay as it has on the road. Yesterday, I went and picked up a set of stock mufflers for the bike. I'll be putting them on this week. I prefer quiet bikes and the mufflers that were on my Sportster were too loud for my tastes. I was lucky enough to find a pair of almost totally unused stock mufflers for a give away price. That will pretty much be it for setting up the bike.
The Saturday after Easter, I'm meeting with some friends for lunch at the Dinosaur BBQ in Stamford, CT (about 150 miles away). I'll be riding about 50/50 Interstate and secondary roads. I figure that will be the best chance on seeing how the bike rides with everything loaded. As far as what I load, I *Think* I've pretty much got it figured out; but I'm sure there are things I'll wish I had brought and things I'll wish I'd left behind. That's always true. As the time gets closer to Departure, I'm getting more and more enthused; and of course, more worried. I'm pretty much committed. The biggest area for concern is my Health Insurance Plan. They haven't decided whether to give me a INR Self Tester. Between my Doctor's Office and me, we've mounted a serious offensive that I hope will result in my getting one. Otherwise, I'll be stopping at local hospitals all over the country to get my blood drawn. I've stated repeatedly that Insurance Company bureaucracies make Federal Government bureaucracies look streamlined. This experience is just more proof of the truth of that statement.
I have bought tickets to the May and September Springfield Miles and the Indianapolis Mile. I haven't got a ticket for the DuQuoin Mile, as they're not available yet, but I will. I've talked with my family members and a few old friends who I'll be visiting along the way, and they're all excited for me. It'll be really nice to see them all again. I'm also looking forward to seeing sights and going places that I've always wanted to go and see. (I'm still kicking around riding up to the Arctic Circle)
Hopefully, it'll all kick off on schedule!

'07 Norge

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 08:06:06 AM »
Looking forward to the trip reports!  ;-T
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Re: Re: Possibilities
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2015, 08:11:03 AM »
I think his concern is no one knows how to bypass a failed dash on a CARC.

(yes, I know that I'm late to this thread).

The failed dash never rendered my B11 unridable.     Only the digital display failed.   The speedo, tach, fuel gauge, signals, etc all kept working.
I was just highly annoyed to the lack of a working odometer readout.   And even though, it would work briefly on initial key-on, so, I could still keep track of mileage for maintenance.  

Of course, this is moot, since you just sold the Norge.

In any case, enjoy your trip.   I'll be watching for  your trip report.
If your travels find you in South Central PA, look me up.   There are a few other WG members in the area too.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:13:00 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2015, 08:22:51 AM »
I went by Ernie's yesterday and he took a couple of pictures of my new Sportster. It's a lot different from the Guzzi, but it's fun to ride!

That's purdy.  ;)
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Far star

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »
Crusty if you head up to Alaska I live 10 minutes south of Whitehorse Yukon on the Alaska Highway. You are welcome to pitch a tent, and I have an awesome shop if you want to service your machine.

canuguzzi

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »
Couple of thoughts on the bike front.

IF you want easy support anywhere, then go with the Sportster.

I would actually say 04-06 (Carb, STOUT, comfortable, more options for accessories and whatnot, plus more likely to have something in stock if needed).

Prices of an 04-06 won't really be any more than a decent latemodel solidmount.

Setup is probably easy with take-offs. Even if it's got loud pipes, forwards, and apes (and a LOT of them don't) since so many people change that stuff out, you should be able to find cheap used midmounts, bars, and stock mufflers.

THAT SAID - IF YOU SERIOUSLY THINK YOU MIGHT WANT AN S3T, I've got one for you that I've been toying with selling because as AWESOME AS IT IS, I just don't think it's me. I think I'm more of a W650 or Bonnie, or even Scout kinda guy.

I've got a price in mind that I've floated and it was a magic number that I'd sell it for (it would convince me).

But I'd give you a significant WG discount.

It's VERY clean, very nice, and very well appointed (Buell Supertrap, Buell RACE ECM, Corbin, taller windscreen, Fiam, etc.)

Still, the Sporty might make more sense.

Then again, life isn't always about making sense.

What a good looking ride. I never looked at Buell but that is something that would make me ride a ...Harleysortathing

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »
What a good looking ride. I never looked at Buell but that is something that would make me ride a ...Harleysortathing

I rode it, and enjoyed it.     The ergos are very close to your Norge.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Possibilities
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2015, 04:44:32 PM »
I rode it, and enjoyed it.     The ergos are very close to your Norge.
It was basically a Harley Griso. 8)
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2015, 10:41:33 PM »
Crusty, when it comes to things you should have packed but didn't, there are shops. When it comes to things that you did pack but shouldn't have, post them home.
Don't forget a book to read in your tent, and a light to read by.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »
Hey Crusty, just  a thought about meds.  I found that the CVS in NY state I used  off and on the past two years had difficulty filling my prescriptions from my Mass Drs. previously written to CVS here in central Mass.  Usually required the NY CVS to phone the physician and getting new prescription -no big deal but usually cost a day or two before everything was good....so don't wait till the last day to try and fill a script out of state-give it a little lead time.   ;D  Hope the journey goes well.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »
Looks like the Springfield Mile will feature Troy Bayliss...

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2015, 09:26:43 PM »
Looks like the Springfield Mile will feature Troy Bayliss...

I wonder if he'll make it into the Main?

'07 Norge

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
Hey Crusty, just  a thought about meds.  I found that the CVS in NY state I used  off and on the past two years had difficulty filling my prescriptions from my Mass Drs. previously written to CVS here in central Mass.  Usually required the NY CVS to phone the physician and getting new prescription -no big deal but usually cost a day or two before everything was good....so don't wait till the last day to try and fill a script out of state-give it a little lead time.   ;D  Hope the journey goes well.

I've been getting my scripts filled at Target Pharmacy. Tomorrow, when I go over there, I 'll ask if I can get refills at other stores around the country, and if it will take a couple of days or if I can just get a refill.

'07 Norge

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
I did not read thru all the suggestions, but make sure you check in with someone daily.  I have read stories of motorcycle riders laying in a ditch for days. Had one young lady tell me a story about being pinned under her car for a night when she was ran off the road.  A truck driver noticed the car the next morning.  Her story was unbelievable.  Buy a cheap prepaid phone that covers areas that your current cellular plan may not.  You can get an annual prepaid plan. 

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2015, 07:53:47 AM »
Did you ever get the feeling that you were meant to do something? When Terri (my ex) and I were trying to buy our house in Leominster, it seemed that there were numerous reasons why it wasn’t going to happen.  First, someone put an offer in a couple of hours before us. Then, the Mortgage guy told us he didn’t think that the bank was going to approve the loan. Every time something was about to stop the purchase, a solution appeared out of nowhere. There were quite a few reasons why we shouldn’t have gotten the house, but in the end, it was ours.

That’s the way it feels regarding this trip. A few months ago, it was a dream with a lot of things that could prevent it from happening. One by one, however, the difficulties have been dealt with. I have a bike that I bought specifically for this trip, I’ve got a self – testing meter to keep track of my anti-coagulant levels, I sold my Guzzi and I just signed a six month lease on cheap storage. Everything is just falling into place. It’s almost scary how it’s happening.

Don’t get me wrong; it hasn’t been too easy. I’ve been running around like a chicken with its legs cut off. There’s a lot to do, and I’m the one who has to do it all; but it’s the things that are beyond my control that have come to me.

Take the meter; first, I was told by a manufacturer that the Insurance company would not cover one. If I purchased one out of my own pocket, they would pay for the supplies, but not the meter itself. Then, I was told by the Ins. Co. that they would rent a meter for me to use on my trip, but I would have to give it back in a couple of months. Finally, I got a call that a meter of my own (not a rental) was being shipped from a supplier and that the Insurance Company would pay for supplies. The story is more involved than that description, but that’s the general gist of it.

Or the garage; I had been looking for cheap storage, and was thinking about using a place here in town that has partitioned areas in an old mill building, when I just happened to see an ad on Craigslist for a 1 bay garage a couple of blocks from here for about half the price of a similar sized storage area. I decided I’d call about it the next morning, but the ad disappeared. I figured it was gone, and that I’d missed out on it. Then the ad reappeared a couple of weeks later and I wound up getting it. It’s actually bigger than I need, but the price is still a lot less than I was expecting to pay.

All my Snippets lately have been focusing on my upcoming trip. I guess that’s understandable considering it’s the most important thing that’s dominating my thoughts. Once the trip starts, I’ll be writing about my experiences as they happen. I’m starting to shape my plans. I think my first “destination” will be to North Carolina. I haven’t been to my parent’s grave in way too long and I want to say a few things to them. Mainly, how much I miss them, but with a few personal items as well. And I promised my sister Grace that if I came within 200 miles of Fayetteville, I’d make it a point to stop and visit. From there, I’ll probably head towards Cincinnati and visit my brother David. Then on from there. The only definite dates and places are the four races that I’m planning see and my two Doctors’ appointments on July 28 back here in Taxachusetts.

Well; I guess I ought to clean out a couple of the plastic storage bins that Ernie gave me and think about what I’m going to pack in them.

'07 Norge

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2015, 08:08:24 AM »
 ;-T
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2015, 08:07:04 AM »
Just a quick update.
I'm going to be heading out next week. I'm busier than a one armed paper hanger trying to get everything done before I hit the road. Address changes, packing up and putting the things I want to keep in storage, getting junk furniture to the dump, and so on.
I had a disastrous weekend revolving around putting new tires on the bike. I bought a set of Dunlop American Elite tires and I could not get the rear mounted on my wheel. After wrestling with it for three hours, I surrendered and took it over to my friend's shop. Even with the tire machine, it took both of us to get the tire on the rim. I've been mounting my own motorcycle tires since 1972, and this is the first tire I could not mount on my own. Being a bit unfamiliar with the new bike, it also took me a while to get the wheel back on the bike. From start to finish, it took me almost 12 hours to change the rear tire on Saturday (by contrast, it usually took me about an hour to change the rear tire on the Norge). Then, to add insult to injury; Sunday morning, when I went to take the bike out, the front tire had gone flat. So I pulled the wheel and took it over to the shop yesterday morning and got the front tire changed.
Other than that, I loaded the bike with full saddlebags and my tent, sleeping bag, etc.,and went on a shake down ride a couple of weeks ago. I found a couple of minor issues that I have since addressed, but I think it will all be good. My tentative plan is to head to North Carolina and visit my parents' graves and spend a couple of days with my sister and brother-in-law, then head towards Cincinnati to see my younger brother then head for Springfield, IL to see the Mile on the 24th. I still have to get a new flip phone (I think I'm going to go with Metro PCS - they have the best rates) and I have to get a cheap Point & Shoot camera. Things are hectic, but the anticipation is building.

'07 Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here