Author Topic: Wanted: Long-Distance Comfort and High-Speed Stability  (Read 25794 times)

LongRanger

Re: Wanted: Long-Distance Comfort and High-Speed Stability
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2015, 01:51:48 PM »
The Ducati STs were THE SPORT-tourers.  Fine motorcycles.  I spent a lot of time on an ST2 and loved it.
I passed on an opportunity to buy an immaculate ST3S for very little money. My butt is still bruised from kicking myself for walking away.

As to the OP's search, you may want to consider a Telelever-equipped BMW. Very stable, comfortable, reliable and capable bikes, despite what most folks on this board would want you to believe.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:56:31 PM by LongRanger »

canuguzzi

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2015, 02:25:36 PM »
One more bike to look at if it comes to that, a Suzuki Bandit 1200, the latest models. You can still find them with very low mileage replete with full fairing, side bags and top case. While known as a hooligan bike, from reports they excel at long distance jaunts. I've only ridden one once but the engine was amazing, smooth and power beyond wants.

They come with ABS, are liquid cooled but no shaft. Inexpensive way to go for a sport uber tourer.

They aren't being made anymore but I doubt parts or service would be an issue.

MotoGoosy

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »
My '02 CA EV is great on the freeway, but the old tailbone starts to hurt after 100 miles or so.  But that's just the seat.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that I am completely unhappy with my Norge. I am not. On the contrary, I mostly love my Norge! I wash and admire it regularly, I ride it every day, rain or shine, I even think about it throughout the day. It is more than satisfying for the bulk of the riding that I do. I just wish it were more comfortable after two hours in the saddle and more stable at speed. Perhaps a new saddle would help. Perhaps reverting to the stock windscreen will help. (I swapped windscreens last night, but I have not yet ridden on the freeway--I will report back after I do).

If I ever were to change bikes, I would try to keep things in the family and look first at the Stelvio and the California Touring.

I guess I am just spoiled: until I traded in my boat of a car on my wife's new truck, I enjoyed a massaging, ventilated, and heated seat, supreme comfort and stability at very high speed, and an easy, relaxing run up to Olympia and back. Maybe I just need to get used to it!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »

teleskierjay

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
I own an '08 FJR1300.  Its probably one of the best mile munchers that have a sporting side.  I can do 7-800 mile days and still feel pretty fresh afterwards.  When it rains or is cold, I raise the electric windscreen to completely eliminate wind blast on my body - 80-85 cruising is stupid easy and a quick flick of the wrist gets you in triple digits instantly.  This bike barely buffets behind traffic like tractor trailers, making it great for my commute.  Maintenance free shaft drive, great dealer network, Japanese reliability & engineering.  Probably the best bike I have owned.

Oh, and my wife LOVES the passenger perch.  I have a Givi 52 on the back and she has a ton of room to groove. 

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
Seriously. Too tight a grip on the bars translates into "instability". If you have "weight" on the bars, you are doing something wrong. The machine *wants* to be stable. Just the gentlest pressure is all that is required to keep it going in the direction you want.
I'm not preaching here.. well maybe a little.. but I feel it is important. If your arms are rigid, any buffeting from crosswinds, etc. translates to movement at the bars. This causes countersteering, that's for another thread..  :smiley: and perceived instability..
I mean absolutely no offense to the OP. Just think about it..and give relaxation a try.

All true.  And my Norge was an older 2v, but like everyone else, it was stable as could be at any speed.  I did have one bike though that would get pretty twitchy when I was being buffeted by semis, and that was my '07 Buell Ulysses.  It took a little while to figure it out, but it was the buffeting on my arms that was giving input to the bars even with a light grip.  The cure was to pull my elbows in close to my sides and the instability would go away instantly.  Once I figured that out, I didn't worry about it any more because I knew there was nothing wrong with the bike.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2015, 06:44:06 PM »
An AirHawk has cured muscle cramp in my butt. I think it is the pyriformis muscles that act up. Has added ten years to my riding life so far :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »
I have an '07, and always travel with side bags and a givi 52 liter topcase. Never felt/feels unstable, even in the "few"  :wink: instances when I ignore legal speed limits. I do have Matris forks springs and Penske rear shocks/springs. Yes it locks you in one position, but it's never unstable.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »
A bit of an update: Tonight I was able to ride some distance at 70 mph after reverting to the stock windscreen. Better! Windy, but more stable. The Agostini touring screen really does block the wind, but it also acts a bit like a sail.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2015, 11:06:02 PM »
A bit of an update: Tonight I was able to ride some distance at 70 mph after reverting to the stock windscreen. Better! Windy, but more stable. The Agostini touring screen really does block the wind, but it also acts a bit like a sail.

Personally, I don't like tall windscreens and full fairings for exactly the reasons you mention. My current touring bike is a '08 1200 Sport. Bikini fairing REALLY works on that bike. Takes just enough wind off your chest but doesn't mess with the overall aerodynamics so much. Just right for me.
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2015, 11:11:44 PM »
^ I love the 1200 Sport! Too bad we can't get it in the U.S.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

beetle

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2015, 02:03:21 AM »
You can't get it anywhere else either, unless you find a dealer with NOS.

It's been discontinued.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2015, 02:26:04 AM »
^ Really? I'm looking at a 1200 Sport on Moto Guzzi's website. Is that a different bike?
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2015, 04:47:51 AM »
So what is different about the Stelvio that doesn't lock you into one riding position, or is that position somehow less likely to produce knee cramping?

The seat on the Stelvio is flat allowing for some movement. Further, I was able to put some additional pegs on the engine guards to give me some more latitude for movement. That, coupled with more seat to peg space to begin with makes it comfortable for me.

John Henry

Vasco DG

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2015, 05:45:58 AM »
^ Really? I'm looking at a 1200 Sport on Moto Guzzi's website. Is that a different bike?

Discontinued in 2013.

Pete

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2015, 05:50:33 AM »
The seat on the Stelvio is flat allowing for some movement. Further, I was able to put some additional pegs on the engine guards to give me some more latitude for movement. That, coupled with more seat to peg space to begin with makes it comfortable for me.

John Henry

Was the Norge seat not flat? Man I seem to remember the B11 seat being pretty flat too... I don't recall having much room too move though. Maybe the key though is the additional pegs, THAT would have been enough to help solve the leg cramping for me, though I just can't see them on a B11... hmmm
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2015, 04:25:09 AM »
Was the Norge seat not flat? Man I seem to remember the B11 seat being pretty flat too... I don't recall having much room too move though. Maybe the key though is the additional pegs, THAT would have been enough to help solve the leg cramping for me, though I just can't see them on a B11... hmmm

More along the line of the shape of the seat and the body work. It kind of locks you into one position. Bad knees and a bad hip do not lend themselves well to that. Rigging up some pegs on a Norge becomes very Rube Goldberg unless you are willing to cut plastic, which I was not willing to do. I did come up with something that involved the Stucchi engine guard, but it really was not the best solution and I eventually removed the offending parts. I recall seeing a couple B11's that people had added some additional pegs to pretty easily. You didn't really notice them unless you looked. What I had tried stuck out like a sore thumb on the Norge.

John Henry

John Henry

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2015, 06:27:51 AM »
Cross winds caused me to remain below 80 between LA and Las Vegas through the open dessert. The culprit was my 40 liter trunk acting as a sail.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
get the California 1400
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
I ride with a friend who has the Kawi concourse, he ditched a gs because the abs went and they wanted 3500 bucks to fix it. The concourse is a beautiful bike, shaft and all the creature comforts like heated grips , adjustable wind screen ect. He much prefers it over the bmw, it's very comfy and smooth running. and it goes like a raped ape. Granted he's a much better rider than I am but I have all I can do to stay with him on my griso, when we hit a straight he's gone. Would make a sweet touring rig.

matchless62

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2015, 06:17:55 PM »
California is as comfortable a ride as you will find......

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2015, 12:23:46 AM »
 Several things I have done to personalize my 12 Norge. The stock seat sucked for me, (pushed my junk into the tank) so I had one built by Sargent Seats. Goldwing foot pegs fit beautifully, and are much wider. Buffeting was a problem, so I bought a taller shield from the guys at MG Cycle, one that I can still see over. I did the handlebar riser thingy, by using the post from Norge Pilot. Now I have a very comfortable bike that I can ride all day, and do. These are some of the things that I have done to every bike (except the HI years ago) ....sort of personalize then to my style.
I have never at any time had any issues with handling at any speed. My Norge seems to cruise at the 75-80 mph mark, with no issues whatsoever.
Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
Tim,

It looks like you have the same touring screen that I do (the Agostini version)! Do you have a top case, too?
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »
Yes Jeff I think it is.  It's the one from MG Cycle.
Absolutely no buffering at highway speeds. I'm 5'-11" with a 31 inseam.
I do have a top case ....one of the give's, and need to post some pics here.

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
Out of all the MC's I have owned including a Norge and 05 FJR1300, GWings, BMW's both sporting and tour type, and too many HD's,  nothing works as well for me as my current  2012 Victory Cross Country Tour for the features and benefits you are looking for. Handling, Comfort, Storage AND Reliability...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:11:45 PM by SemperVee »
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
Out of all the MC's I have owned including a Norge and 05 FJR1300, GWings, BMW's both sporting and tour type, and too many HD's,  nothing works as well for me as my current  2012 Victory Cross Country Tour for the features and benefits you are looking for. Handling, Comfort, Storage AND Reliability...
  Isn't that almost 300 lbs heavier than a Norge?  Beautiful bike...saw two Victorys a couple years ago in Montana in Black and White...large windscreens.  The guys riding them said they could ride all day, no buffeting, no noise, they weren't even wearing ear plugs.  I'm guessing that being wrapped in that cocoon and bubble, things are a lot quieter than on the Norge, which looked like a mini scooter sitting next to the Victorys!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:34:17 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »
  Isn't that almost 300 lbs heavier than a Norge? 

Approx 251#  (868 vs. 617) for wet numbers. Though it gets closer if you've added stuff to the Norge, like a topcase.

Also, keep in mind the Norge carries the weight a little higher, so it might not feel like as big a difference as it is.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »
My Norge is so unstable and uncomfortable, I can only ride it 35,000 miles a year.  :grin:

And I used to sell Victory bikes (along with Indian, MG, Aprilia, others) - they and Indian are may favorites among cruisers (after the Cali 1400), but I wouldn't hold them up as paragons for handling. Stability, yes - but then again, a 1964 Sedan de Ville is stable too (once you fix the steering).
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2015, 12:12:45 PM »
I bought my Goldwing in '12. I love it, and more importantly the wife loves it. She now suggests we go for a ride almost as often as I do. I did have a custom seat done and a few other farkles. It is surprisingly nimble for a 900+ pound bike.

I have a 4" taller x 2" wider windshield on a Wing and on a windy day the side blasts will get you.  The guys behind me are amazed how it will blow around in the lane.  I have a Traxxion suspension pkg so I'm not baby buggy spongy.  Wind hitting from the sides/angles will toss you about.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

tarsky68

« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »
My two cents...FWIW

I'm 5'11" and 210 for reference.  Recently bought a Stelvio NTX to replace a MultiStrada 1200.  The Stelvio is rock solid at speeds up to 90 MPH Havent gone any faster than that so far) and as long we you replace the remarkably terrible stock windshield, it pushes through the wind quite nicely.  I have the CalSci medium windshield, which is great! The stock seat is quite comfortable as well.

It's worth a look/ride.  Good luck!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here