Author Topic: Drones Can Legally Peep On You At Home?  (Read 18655 times)

oldbike54

Re: Drones Can Legally Peep On You At Home?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »
 This incident happened in July , we already wore this topic smooth out . No charges were filed .

Dusty

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
This article is new. The drone operator is now going to federal court to test the rights to airspace over one's property. Seeking damages for his drone.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:02:37 PM by leafman60 »

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:05:40 PM »
 OK , but nothing has been decided yet , correct ? My understanding is that most folks come down on the side of privacy , despite what the gentleman in the original article claims .

Dusty
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:06:29 PM by oldbike54 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:05:40 PM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 04:50:02 AM »
What do any of you blokes do that you'd be worried about drones?

I can think of no more boring waste of energy than hovering a drone with a camera over the Roper residence. What could they possibly see of a shocking or tittilating nature? A sixty two year old woman watering the tomatoes or shouting at some cats! A fat bloke drinking a beer and pissing in the bushes! Gosh! That will make riveting viewing for utube addicts!

Sure I'm not keen on the idea of being observed but the sort of retard who decides to fly a cheap drone with a GoPro over your yard in the hope of getting a shot of yer wife's nipple or ? Well?? What else? Buggered if I know? Doesn't really worry me unduly. Anyway the rays of the sun glinting off my tinfoil hat will cause the drones to explode! I read this on the Internet!

Pete

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 06:16:23 AM »
Certainly precedent should keep low flying observation from low level hovering.

Pete, your comments are fascinating.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 10:06:10 AM »
Just brain storming some anti-drone techniques:

1. Water cannon (that could be fun).

2. Spud launcher (the 3-man slingshot type - could also be a blast)

3. Anti-Drone-Drone. Hey buddy, why did you crash your drone into my drone? Why is yours armor platted and contains hooks/spikes all around the edges?

4. EASIEST ONE - just go out buck naked and sunbathe! I don't know about you, but as long as it was me and not Jenn, I think the drone would leave the area IMMEDIATELY. Might even crash and burn on its own.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »

around here, there would be a 5.

5.  Shotgun.

But the water cannon idea does sound fun.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
  Now that was neat.  Coming soon, civilian drone wars.

But just curious, will a laser like the ones used to blind airline pilots, harm a camera?
 Like ruin it if aimed at the lens?  If so, that could be a good drone defense.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 11:06:05 AM »
 I see a business opportunity . One of you smart guys design a signal jammer . Hmm , we never have drones flying around here , in fact , the only ones I have ever seen were in videos . Oh , almost forgot, a friend has a drone about the size of a hummingbird , does that count ? :laugh:

Dusty

canuguzzi

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 11:54:52 AM »
A radio signal jammer is illegal even if what the drone is doing is too.

A nerf cannon however, is not.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 11:55:50 AM »
I see a business opportunity . One of you smart guys design a signal jammer . Hmm , we never have drones flying around here , in fact , the only ones I have ever seen were in videos . Oh , almost forgot, a friend has a drone about the size of a hummingbird , does that count ? :laugh:

Jam. Not legally. It would take a fairly high wattage. Probably using the 2.4GHz band which would also shut down a lot of the neighbors WiFi too.

I have a little quadcopter, called a ProtoX. Too small to carry a camera.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 12:08:56 PM »
Ya know, come to think of it, I've never seen anyone using a drone in real life yet. And certainly can't see one being very useful OR intrustive around here.

I mean, hell the homestead uses the Pine defense:

Someone would have to be a magician to navigate it low enough in my backyard to bother me. And they'd likely bounce it off a couple of trees or get it hung up.

But as for jamming, even if it is not legal, how would they prove it was YOU?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:09:37 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 12:19:43 PM »
I think the rules already in place for peeping toms cover it pretty well.  As far as a drone flying over my property taking pictures, airplanes and satellites already do that regularly.  The only reason we don't care about those is they're so high we don't know if and when they're targeting our property.

I recently received a gift of a low-end quadcopter (drone) with a built-in video camera.  I'm still in practice mode, trying to get the feel of flying it, and it's a ton of fun.  I've been flying it in my house, over my property, and over public park land adjacent to my property.  Last time I checked, it was under $60 delivered.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

canuguzzi

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 12:35:23 PM »
I think the rules already in place for peeping toms cover it pretty well.  As far as a drone flying over my property taking pictures, airplanes and satellites already do that regularly.  The only reason we don't care about those is they're so high we don't know if and when they're targeting our property.

I recently received a gift of a low-end quadcopter (drone) with a built-in video camera.  I'm still in practice mode, trying to get the feel of flying it, and it's a ton of fun.  I've been flying it in my house, over my property, and over public park land adjacent to my property.  Last time I checked, it was under $60 delivered.

:thumb: :thumb:

dibble

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »

Jam. Not legally. It would take a fairly high wattage. Probably using the 2.4GHz band which would also shut down a lot of the neighbors WiFi too.

I have a little quadcopter, called a ProtoX. Too small to carry a camera.

Would you need to totally jam the signal, these things must be made from a limited range of components. If you just transmit the "turn Right" signal a fraction more strongly than the owner would that do????

canuguzzi

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 12:47:13 PM »
Turn on a jammer and keep using it, see his long it takes for someone to figure out it is you. Is it really worth it?

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »
Turn on a jammer and keep using it, see his long it takes for someone to figure out it is you. Is it really worth it?

Don't leave it on , geez  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »

Figuring it out and proving beyond a reasonable doubt or even by preponderance of the evidence takes a bit more than just correlation.

Of course, one might question why someone would repeatedly be hovering over your property with one in the first place.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »

I think the real reason we don't care is we can't do anything about those.  A low flying/hovering drone, we CAN do something about it.  Especially when we know it is some private puke who's just nosing around. 

Think about it, the effective range of a shotgun with full choke and magnum goose load is about 55-60 yards.  If your drone can be hit, YOU ARE TOO CLOSE.

canuguzzi

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »
Figuring it out and proving beyond a reasonable doubt or even by preponderance of the evidence takes a bit more than just correlation.

Of course, one might question why someone would repeatedly be hovering over your property with one in the first place.

If you're smart enough to figure out how to build a jamming device then you should be smart enough to know finding out where the jamming comes from isn't that difficult. The warrant takes care of the evidence collection and the records used to determine the location of the jammer will mean a plea bargain is probably in your future.

Why someone was flying a drone over your property isn't going to do you much good when you try to explain why you were using a jammer.

If you interfere with radio signals and someone complains, the little white truck shows up and the next time you want to fire up your jammer don't forget to answer the knock at the door.

Jamming drone radio signals. :thewife:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 01:50:17 PM »
If you're smart enough to figure out how to build a jamming device then you should be smart enough to know finding out where the jamming comes from isn't that difficult. The warrant takes care of the evidence collection and the records used to determine the location of the jammer will mean a plea bargain is probably in your future.

Why someone was flying a drone over your property isn't going to do you much good when you try to explain why you were using a jammer.

If you interfere with radio signals and someone complains, the little white truck shows up and the next time you want to fire up your jammer don't forget to answer the knock at the door.

Jamming drone radio signals. :thewife:

I really can't see a local police department giving a crap that your drone keeps crashing when you fly it over your neighbor's property.

If not one gives a crap, there's never going to be a warrant.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

canuguzzi

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 02:00:46 PM »
I think the real reason we don't care is we can't do anything about those.  A low flying/hovering drone, we CAN do something about it.  Especially when we know it is some private puke who's just nosing around. 

Think about it, the effective range of a shotgun with full choke and magnum goose load is about 55-60 yards.  If your drone can be hit, YOU ARE TOO CLOSE.

If you are in an area where you can walk out in your back yard for example, and legally shoot your shotgun at a drone then you probably don't live anywhere near anyone who would want to fly a drone over your house in the first place.

Let's see, we've got jammers, shooting drones out of the sky with shotguns, what's next...
 :popcorn:

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 02:08:47 PM »
what's next...

Drone Wars on the Discovery Channel.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

canuguzzi

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
I really can't see a local police department giving a crap that your drone keeps crashing when you fly it over your neighbor's property.

If not one gives a crap, there's never going to be a warrant.

FAA. They need examples, be my guest.  Your little jammer is going to jam other things too.

But let's go along.

How are you going to determine the radio frequency of the drone?

Are you going to sit around and wait for it to show up or are you just going to turn on some jammer and let it run all the time?

How much are you willing to spend and devote your time doing all this?

How do you know who owns the drone? Better make sure you know that before getting all mobilized.

What are you going to do when the drone crashes? Leave it there? Pick it up?

When the owner comes to retrieve it you are going to do what?

Radio jamming is a felony. It won't matter what the drone was doing, causing something that is flying to crash isn't very smart, if that drone does something like hit a car or someone I guess that won't be your fault?

Sooner or later we'll see it on the news, someone shooting at a drone and some innocent person down range gets hit instead, or the guy with his fancy jammer gets hauled off doing the perp walk.

All the days news and this developing story at 6.

canuguzzi

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 02:19:08 PM »
Don't leave it on , geez  :laugh:

Dusty

Or sit around waiting for a drone to buzz your house?   :clock:

A much better idea.  :shocked:

Offline aschem

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
You can set up miniature barrage balloons similar to those ones used during WWII
http://www.skylighters.org/barrageballoons/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:25:58 PM by aschem »

canuguzzi

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »
Picture this: ( jesting a little to lighten things up)

Grown man running outside in his boxers and duck boots because he hears a buzzing. Quick Martha, fire up the jammer, that drone the Joneses have is buzzing the house again.

You run the jammer, keep shifting frequencies and turn up the gain, I'm going to get in the tunnel and circle behind it and give it a load from ole Betsy, make sure your helmet is on, I'll be shooting your way.

Did ya put the children away, don't want their pictures on YouTube, never know what that drone might be doing.

After I shoot, turn off the jammer because it heats up the tinfoil hats the neighbors wear and the microwave melts the pizza too much.

If someone knocks on the door, pull the handle for the trapdoor out front, let the gator in the moat eat em.

Then I'll come back inside and we'll have breakfast, do we still have any C and K rations left? I really like the chocolate and crackers. That one finger TP does nothing for me though.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 02:41:31 PM »
FAA. They need examples, be my guest.  Your little jammer is going to jam other things too.

But let's go along.

How are you going to determine the radio frequency of the drone?

Are you going to sit around and wait for it to show up or are you just going to turn on some jammer and let it run all the time?

How much are you willing to spend and devote your time doing all this?

How do you know who owns the drone? Better make sure you know that before getting all mobilized.

What are you going to do when the drone crashes? Leave it there? Pick it up?

When the owner comes to retrieve it you are going to do what?

Radio jamming is a felony. It won't matter what the drone was doing, causing something that is flying to crash isn't very smart, if that drone does something like hit a car or someone I guess that won't be your fault?

Sooner or later we'll see it on the news, someone shooting at a drone and some innocent person down range gets hit instead, or the guy with his fancy jammer gets hauled off doing the perp walk.

All the days news and this developing story at 6.

Oh brother ...  :rolleyes:

I think you "lightened up" one post too late  :boozing:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:00:21 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here