Author Topic: Drones Can Legally Peep On You At Home?  (Read 18641 times)

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Drones Can Legally Peep On You At Home?
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2016, 12:13:41 PM »
The more dams the took out the more trees the beavers took down.

Doh!   :tongue:  Why they couldn't think that far ahead is really funny!  Too bad stupid little ideas have such big consequences.   :popcorn:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »
sounds like someone needs a dog?

an airborne patrol dog

like this one -

dibble

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
Doh!   :tongue:  Why they couldn't think that far ahead is really funny!  Too bad stupid little ideas have such big consequences.   :popcorn:

When I was growing up the local Water Authority was snowed under by complaints about ducks in on the small river in town.

People fed them bread and the numbers of these Mallard cross ducks had probably hit over 100 on a small, maybe 20foot wide, river.

A senior manager(my Dads boss) decided the best thing to do was to catch the ducks put them in a van and drive them up to a lake in the hills.

He forgot that ducks can fly, my Dad decided not to tell him.

They were all back the next day.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
  He should have put them in the freezer.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
I believe technically the FAA governs all air space everywhere above the ground. Pilots know that flying below 5K feet is flying by sight. Do I have that correct pilots?
Not really. You can fly VFR (visual flight rules) from ground level up to 18000 feet, IIRC.
In Indiana, and I *assume* nation wide, you own the airspace above your property, but I don't know how high that goes. A local model airport had to close because final approach to the runway was over a lady's property, and she didn't like it.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2016, 02:52:53 PM »
The model airports sure have it tough, Chuck.  There was a really nice one on an old landfill in Rockville, MD.  Then subdivisions were built around it.  Then it closed.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2016, 03:45:50 PM »
The model airports sure have it tough, Chuck.  There was a really nice one on an old landfill in Rockville, MD.  Then subdivisions were built around it.  Then it closed.

The main reason I no longer fly.
Atlanta growth has taken over the flying fields for about an 80 mile radius. It sucks.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »
That's one thing that makes quadcopters fun, you can fly them in your back yard, or in your living room.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »
From this article on WSJ http://www.wsj.com/articles/drones-boom-raises-new-question-who-owns-your-airspace-1431535417
Note the FAA has the authority down to the ground. I have read this in numerous articles. Sound bizarre that someone can fly there drone just above ground level on your property but that is what this is saying.

The FAA says the advent of drones has extended “navigable airspace”—and thus the FAA’s authority—down to the ground. As long as private drones don’t endanger people, the agency says, they can legally hover just above private property in the U.S. The agency added that many states and cities have “noise and nuisance” laws they can use to prosecute drone users who fly over private property.
Red 90 Mille GT

oldbike54

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2016, 04:56:47 PM »
 Harv , the part about not endangering anyone is the loophole . If a drone flies into someone's yard where anyone is present I will bet a decent attorney can make a case that it is endangering that person or persons . The regulation also doesn't mention the use of a camera .

Dusty

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
The current ruling by the FAA based on the recent legislation requires that all drone owners register with the FAA and their registration number must be put on any drone that they own (any that are more than 8oz?).

Yep, another law and another group of feds that you are paying for because a few abuse the privilege.

And, yes, the rule applies to all remotely controlled aircraft.

Just wait a few years and all these idiots will get tired of pointing their cameras at things/people. The others will be out trying to get the next viral youtube video.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »
The negative prospects of this trend are endless.  What happens when a nut-case or a terrorist figures out the destruction that can be visited upon any target with one of these things.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »
The current ruling by the FAA based on the recent legislation requires that all drone owners register with the FAA and their registration number must be put on any drone that they own (any that are more than 8oz?).

Yep, another law and another group of feds that you are paying for because a few abuse the privilege.

And, yes, the rule applies to all remotely controlled aircraft.

Just wait a few years and all these idiots will get tired of pointing their cameras at things/people. The others will be out trying to get the next viral youtube video.

Virtually every consumer item (except one) is regulated by the Fed Government. These things are trouble waiting to happen. Not that I think they should be banned but to think what power you have with a drone whether it be cameras or dropping a load of dog sh** on your neighbor and on and on go the possibilities. They are going to be abused and if not abused mistakes will be made.  And given that the things can fly high enough to get into airspace the possibility of an accident with an aircraft exists. The guy who shot this down was real lucky because he discharged a weapon in the city which is against the law in that town. Drone or no drone he did break the law and was fortunate to be dismissed on that charge. He said he shot straight up into the air and never shot horizontal and maybe that was in his favor.
Out here in the county there are no laws regarding discharging weapons. I had a neighbor who was having psychotic episodes.  One afternoon walked outside and just started firing off his .30.06 into the air. He did it for about 5  minutes and a couple of times a day. There was literally nothing we could do as their are no laws governing discharging a weapon in the county. He had been having mental health issues for months including seeing people at night with red glowing eyes. It was a tragedy for the guy. He was a decent dude. The family got involved and had him hospitalized.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:29:24 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

George_S

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »
As I understand it, from old case law there are no air rights at all for property owners with regard to aircraft. You can't close off your air space or charge a fee for it. If something were to fly where you think it's too low, you then have a complaint from a noise or a safety issue, but not an air rights issue.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:40:45 AM by George_S »

George_S

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2016, 09:43:55 AM »
Virtually every consumer item (except one) is regulated by the Fed Government. These things are trouble waiting to happen. Not that I think they should be banned but to think what power you have with a drone whether it be cameras or dropping a load of dog sh** on your neighbor and on and on go the possibilities. They are going to be abused and if not abused mistakes will be made.  And given that the things can fly high enough to get into airspace the possibility of an accident with an aircraft exists. The guy who shot this down was real lucky because he discharged a weapon in the city which is against the law in that town. Drone or no drone he did break the law and was fortunate to be dismissed on that charge. He said he shot straight up into the air and never shot horizontal and maybe that was in his favor.
Out here in the county there are no laws regarding discharging weapons. I had a neighbor who was having psychotic episodes.  One afternoon walked outside and just started firing off his .30.06 into the air. He did it for about 5  minutes and a couple of times a day. There was literally nothing we could do as their are no laws governing discharging a weapon in the county. He had been having mental health issues for months including seeing people at night with red glowing eyes. It was a tragedy for the guy. He was a decent dude. The family got involved and had him hospitalized.

Your county needs to come into the 18th century. Those 30.06 rounds have to come down somewhere, and while I'm sure it's a sparsely populated area, it's still dangerous. Reckless endangerment comes to mind. That's usually used as a catch-all charge when you're searching the books looking for something to charge someone with.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2016, 09:54:11 AM »
If you were to moon a drone, will that be illegal?

Reminds me of the natives in Papua New Guinea they would down flying foxes by tying down a springy tree loaded with sticky vines then let it go as the bats flew over, I'm sure some bits of fine wire or string fired from a catapult would hamper the props somewhat. Sounds like fun, bring on the drones.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »
Your county needs to come into the 18th century. Those 30.06 rounds have to come down somewhere, and while I'm sure it's a sparsely populated area, it's still dangerous. Reckless endangerment comes to mind. That's usually used as a catch-all charge when you're searching the books looking for something to charge someone with.

That is not what the sheriff said when 2 neighbors called in to complain. There response was you live in the county and there are no rules. And I live literally 2 miles from the county seat and just 1/2 mile from the town city limits.
How many counties in this country do you think have restrictions on discharging a firearm? I'd bet the farm most rural counties do not have restrictions: only urban counties restrict discharging a firearm for the obvious reason you pointed out. More rural people own weapons that city people which may have something to do hence the laxity of discharge laws. I do not know. This is not a political statement. It comes Pew Research Center on the demographics of gun ownership.
From this article:  http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/15/the-demographics-and-politics-of-gun-owning-households/
" For example, rural residents and older adults are disproportionately more likely than other Americans to have a gun at home."
My guess is you will see the same restrictions on drones in urban areas take hold faster than you will in rural areas for the same reasons.
My neighbor shooting his 30 odd 6 had a low threshold for injuring someone in a rural area vs urban area. Same will hold true for drones.
No politics here. I do not want to start a gun debate nor a drone debate; but there is a reason why urban areas have more restrictions: high density in population in small area. Speed limits in urban areas are much lower than rural for the same reasons.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:55:03 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2016, 10:59:34 AM »
If you were to moon a drone, will that be illegal?

Reminds me of the natives in Papua New Guinea they would down flying foxes by tying down a springy tree loaded with sticky vines then let it go as the bats flew over, I'm sure some bits of fine wire or string fired from a catapult would hamper the props somewhat. Sounds like fun, bring on the drones.

Hey that is a great idea. Forget the spud shooters and bring on the CO2 charged nets in the shape of a ball. Your odds are not as good as a scatter shot 12 gauge but it sure would not be illegal.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
If one is creative you could build your own multiple rocket launcher using the Estes model rockets. If you hit the drone it will probably take it down. If you miss it flies till it's little parachute or drag ribbons pop out. You could create models of the old Vietnam vintage SAM IIs. Whole new hobby and would look cool on Youtube! :grin:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2016, 12:29:02 PM »
 So what are you guys doing to prevent lightening or a meteor from striking your back yards ? Guessing the odds are about the same as having a drone equipped with a bomb or a squirrel armed with an AK47 invading your back yard  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2016, 12:35:44 PM »
So what are you guys doing to prevent lightening or a meteor from striking your back yards ? Guessing the odds are about the same as having a drone equipped with a bomb or a squirrel armed with an AK47 invading your back yard  :rolleyes:

Dusty

I've decided to kill two birds with one stone on that issue.

My mini barrage balloons that I installed this weekend have lightning rods and the cables are grounded.

No drones or lightning strikes will be happening in my yard. 

I'm still working on the squirrel issue.  And my dog isn't helping a bit...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

canuguzzi

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2016, 01:00:22 PM »
Tell the dog that you will tie its tail to one of the lightening rods unless he takes care of the squirrels. All problems solved.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2016, 10:32:06 PM »
Hey that is a great idea. Forget the spud shooters and bring on the CO2 charged nets in the shape of a ball. Your odds are not as good as a scatter shot 12 gauge but it sure would not be illegal.
Now that's a cool idea and not just for drones. I have a CZ, RV85 Flare launcher. It's a 26.5mm bore and generally we play with black powder or odd ball re-loads. Trying to develop a reliable and relatively accurate, cinematic grade net launcher could be a hoot.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2016, 12:09:49 AM »
legitimate air travel vs peeping tomfoolery

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2016, 12:33:44 AM »
Oh Hell, I thought you said DROANS and POOPING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNQi1bJ2VEg
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2016, 06:46:06 PM »
Droans and Pooping?

I saw Peeing.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2016, 08:31:20 PM »
Droans and Pooping?

I saw Peeing.

Be  careful now, you are getting dangerously close to political.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2016, 08:47:12 PM »
Now that's a cool idea and not just for drones. I have a CZ, RV85 Flare launcher. It's a 26.5mm bore and generally we play with black powder or odd ball re-loads. Trying to develop a reliable and relatively accurate, cinematic grade net launcher could be a hoot.

Todd.

Ever watch the movie Hatari?  Remember the big rocket net they used to catch monkeys?  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2016, 09:40:34 PM »
  Yea I remember it.  Red Buttons caught a bunch of monkeys.  That would be a pretty expensive way to catch a drone.
  Cheaper defense would be helium filled balloons anchored by string in your yard or on your house.  The strings would be difficult for a drone to see and they would function as ww1 barrage balloons to prevent aerial invasion.  Not only the anchoring strings but each could carry another string just hanging down.
 The prevailing wind would hold the balloon down wind from its anchorage point, and the hangin string would trail down wind of that creating two hazards from each balloon.  This could be difficult for a drone to avoid.

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2016, 07:33:09 AM »
The new FAA regulation also requires that the operator keep the drone/model/quad in sight, so no legal FPV without at least a spotter with him if using FPV helmet/goggles.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here