Author Topic: Saw the new Triumphs today. Meh.  (Read 19736 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Saw the new Triumphs today. Meh.
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 11:36:11 AM »
Here's a really short rider on a very tall bike.  Once in the saddle, or more appropriately, standing on the pegs, there was no stopping him.  Gaston Rahier, riding for BMW in the 1980s.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/bcgilligan/Gaston%20Rahier_zpsuan7h373.jpg

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline davedude

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »
Triples?

So Mr. Marketing Guy, whats Iconic with the new twins?  :boozing:

Yeah, I stared at this photo for a while, and finally said to myself (i'm the only one that'll listen to me), "I don't remember those bikes being THAT big.
I was glad to see that in the very next post, someone pointed out the very thing that bothered me about the photo. What I don't understand is: Why has nothing been said about the front fender looking backwards on the sportster? I don't like the radiators (or the chains) on the Triumphs. The small ones don't have radiators, do they? Are the chains maintenance free? Do you still have to adjust the rear wheel like you used to on older chain bikes? Do you have to do it on belt bikes?
'07 Cal Vintage
'07 Nevada Classic

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »
What I don't understand is: Why has nothing been said about the front fender looking backwards on the sportster? I don't like the radiators (or the chains) on the Triumphs. The small ones don't have radiators, do they? Are the chains maintenance free? Do you still have to adjust the rear wheel like you used to on older chain bikes? Do you have to do it on belt bikes?

To answer a few of those questions:

* Sportster fenders are highly stylized/chopped, but not uncommon in the industry.

* No, chains are not maintenance free.

* You have to adjust the rear wheel on chain or belt bikes. Though I'll say both are quite infrequent these days unless you're abusing them. It's not uncommon for a belt to last 100k+ miles and not need to be adjusted any more often than the rear tire is replaced.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
I have been feeling the same about current bikes. I think it's because I'm really happy with the bikes I have. I find myself asking if the new models answer as well for me as my Vintage and my Triumph T100. So far, the answer has been a resounding, "NO!"
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
Yeah, I stared at this photo for a while, and finally said to myself (i'm the only one that'll listen to me), "I don't remember those bikes being THAT big.
I was glad to see that in the very next post, someone pointed out the very thing that bothered me about the photo. What I don't understand is: Why has nothing been said about the front fender looking backwards on the sportster? I don't like the radiators (or the chains) on the Triumphs. The small ones don't have radiators, do they? Are the chains maintenance free? Do you still have to adjust the rear wheel like you used to on older chain bikes? Do you have to do it on belt bikes?

Triples?

So Mr. Marketing Guy, whats Iconic with the new twins?  :boozing:

Is that a Brylcreem hairdo or just a weird streamlined helmet? :undecided:

Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

bpreynolds

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
Some like, some not. The only modern Triumph models that have a soul are the triples IMO.

:1: 

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2016, 05:06:12 PM »

I saw the Harley and it reminded me of the XS11 custom a friend of mine is building.  His is from a parts bike he bought with a hacked frame.  The shortened rear doesn't appeal to me, especially on the long wheel base XS, but the Harley reminded me of it straight away.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »
To answer a few of those questions:

* Sportster fenders are highly stylized/chopped, but not uncommon in the industry.

* No, chains are not maintenance free.

* You have to adjust the rear wheel on chain or belt bikes. Though I'll say both are quite infrequent these days unless you're abusing them. It's not uncommon for a belt to last 100k+ miles and not need to be adjusted any more often than the rear tire is replaced.

Sportsters are chick bikes.  :evil:

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2016, 06:12:41 PM »
And there you have it.  Everybody HANG ON!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »
Sportsters are chick bikes.  :evil:

Omg, it was hilarious yesterday.

Jenn and I ride down to the Harley dealer near AC to inquire when we might get a chance see the R.

On the way we talked about what we might want to do when the kids are older and can accompany us to a rally. Her Monster isn't going to cut it 2-up with a kid.

So when we got there she stood up a Dyna and a Softail just to see.

The salesman must have noted that, but left us alone for a while.

When he finally asked us if he could help and we started chatting about the new R he, at one point, broke into the conversation with "so this would be for her" and Jenn and I started cracking up.

He immediately said "I just saw her trying on bikes for size and thought, but sure it's good for you too" or something like that. It was funny.

I explained, that no Jenn already had a Sportster and hasn't touched it in 4 years since she got her Ducati. And that she was just confirming that she has no interest in any other Harleys lol.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:19:57 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 07:30:53 PM »
I like the look of the HD Roadster.  But I still think I would go with a Roamer/Bobber.  The HD does put out some huge torque numbers, toping out at 70 some odd at 3700 rpm,  but the V9 hits max torque at 3000, but at 45LB, its a long toss to 70!  But the Guzzi is a much smaller motor.

But its the weight that, at least on paper, glares.  The V9 on the road weighs 432, the HD comes in at 564.  A 130 pounds no mater how low you carry it, is still 130lb.   Don't get me wrong, for a 1200cc air cooled bike, the HD is not far off the 1100 Breva I ride daily, though the Breva does have a CARC, but nevertheless it still well in the ball bark.

I'll bet the Roadster is a blast on the line, I would like to ride one before they are discontinued in an year or two do to slow sales.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 10:08:55 PM »
Somebody forgot to put a fender on the front of that Sportster that fits, and in the process they lost the back half of the rear fender. Other than that......
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:06 AM »
Somebody forgot to put a fender on the front of that Sportster that fits, and in the process they lost the back half of the rear fender. Other than that......

Yes, if you ride on anything but a clean/dry road, you will be slinging up a lot of debris on the motor's front and maybe the rider's back!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
Small fenders? You guys HAVE seen other motorcycles recently right?

Need I go on...  :boozing:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:30:14 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2016, 07:47:46 AM »
New Triumphs; +++++
New Harleys; ---------
I owned a Harley once, I won't do it twice.
I have 4 Triumphs

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 07:59:09 AM »
Some like, some not. The only modern Triumph models that have a soul are the triples IMO. The others may look retro but the 270 crank kills it for me. The few that I have ridden were almost Honda bland. The Sportster has never looked right-like a German Shepherd. Low in the hips and tall at the head. No offence intended to those who love them, just not for me.

I agree about the 270 degree crank. Having ridden and early 360 bike and the later Scrambler with the 270 crank, the 270 is completely bland. New York pizza vs Dominos.
I have an 800 triple and while the power band is sweet I still haven't warmed up to the gear whine and 4 cylinder sounding exhaust note.

Pete

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »
My good riding buddy just took delivery of a lovely 2016 Bonneville T120 in Cranberry and Silver.  Deja vu all over again ....... made me flash back to when he took delivery of one of the first 2001 Bonnie 790s in the country in early 2001.  Same colors ....... 15 years later.  I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet ....... thought I'd wait until the tedium of break-in was completed.  I'm hoping I don't like it, because the Griso sale has left some bucks in the new bike fund.  I'm still entertaining the thought of  picking up a 2014 CB1100.  There's a bunch of those still unsold at dealers across the country (check Cycle Trader), and the prices aren't going up!  Not sure I'd like the four cylinder feedback, but they appear to be nicely finished bikes.  With a set of hard luggage, I think it'd be a do it all machine.

I do wish that Triumph had retained the 360 degree crankshaft on their new twins.  If I want v twin sound, I have Guzzi for that.  I love the exhaust note of the earlier T100 with TOR (Triumph Off Road) mufflers.  Now that does sound like the 1960s!

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2016, 08:28:47 AM »
My friends 790 had Staintunes installed after the "off road" mufflers. Now that was sweet. Never understood why he sold that bike. With all the other tweaks it was making 62HP at the rear wheel. A whole lot of fun.

Pete

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »
My friends 790 had Staintunes installed after the "off road" mufflers. Now that was sweet. Never understood why he sold that bike. With all the other tweaks it was making 62HP at the rear wheel. A whole lot of fun.

Pete
There is so much aftermarket stuff for the 790 and 865 Bonnies.  They can be as mild-mannered (or not) as you want to make them.  The basic engine design lends itself to performance mods (DOHC, 4V per cylinder, short stroke.)  Your buddy's 62hp at rear wheel must have been in the 70+ at the crank, which would make for a nice-performing Bonneville.  My totally-stock 790 was mild-mannered, but it was adequate.  She'd run nicely all day at 70mph +.  Longest single day was from Lacrosse WI to Waseon OH, approx. 540 miles.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2016, 08:41:18 AM »
I can tell you it was all done without getting inside the motor. Just the typical intake, exhaust and timing mods. It didn't alter tractability at all just more responsive when you twisted the throttle.

Pete

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 12:36:32 AM »
Funny you should mention the CB as it immediately came to mind when I was looking at these new Triumphs, me even thinking the Honda pulls the styling off a bit better. 

As per the Harley, I've had posts on this board proclaiming my fondness for the Sportster line.  Great looking bike and I've obviously always preferred the standard peg mounts so that one is indeed sharp.

Ralph, you must keep the coat; everyone knows you look better than I do in any leather jacket.  Just yesterday I was riding and sporting my Roland Sands leather bike jacket (purchased at 1/3 cost at the local Motorcycle Superstore Warehouse here in Louisville).  Walking into a store I caught a glimpse of my librarian self in the store window, sadly much more Nerd About the Word than Rebel Without a Cause.

Depending on the Kentucky DMV rules, a winged wheel motorcycle cap with a Speidel chrome expanding watch band might get you "the look".  Especially if you wear a white T shirt with a pack of Luckies rolled up in one sleeve.  You'll get more respect that way, Rodney.

Ralph

Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 06:20:26 AM »
Last night I read the Rider magazine glowing review of both the T120 and the new Thruxton.

One thing that stood out to me and, frankly, causes me concern about the Thruxton is it's frame and steering geometry. The wheelbase of the T120 is 56.9 inches while the Thruxton is shortened to 55.7.  Part of this is resulting from the steepened steering angle of the Thruxton.  The T120 has 25.5 degrees of rake with 4.14 inches of trail (traditional numbers) while the Thruxton has a rake of 22.8 degrees and 3.6 inches of trail.

The numbers for the Thruxton classify it as a short, stubby bike with a steep steering head.

I'm sure this shaves the bike's perceived weight and makes it into a very quick-steering animal that feels like a nimble bicycle in the parking lot and a sportbike on curvy roads and switchbacks. However, I have concerns about it being jittery, especially at speed.

I have experienced this with the new water-cooled BMW GS introduced in 2013.  BMW steepened the steering angle and reduced trail of 3.5 inches. The BMW felt light and very quick-steering. However, it felt jittery and unstable at speed.  In 2014, BMW relaxed the steering angle, extending trail to 3.9 inches and added a steering stabilizer. It still feels jittery to me.

Anyway, hard to know without an extended test ride.  The magazine testers don't seem to capture issues like this.  I love the look and engine specs of the new Thruxton. That 3.6 inches of trail concerns me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:29:28 AM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2016, 06:24:30 AM »
Small fenders? You guys HAVE seen other motorcycles recently right?

Need I go on...  :boozing:

Yep, that's the trend. Makes the front end look lighter by exposing the wheel.  Still, as a practical matter in everyday use, you're gonna get a lot of crud up front. Just keep a wash brush handy and/or maybe try a Fendaextenda.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 07:06:23 AM »
 I test sat them yesterday, to me very nice looking bikes. The Street Twin seat is low, to tight for me, T120 felt pretty good and the Thurxton wouldn't be an all day ride but better then my Lemans. The shop also sold Roayl Enfield what great looking bikes, if they could just bring them up to a little more modern performance...
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 07:54:22 AM »
Why did they go to a 270 degree crank?

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »
The problem with doing retro styling is that the manufacturer has to really nail it. If even a few details are off it ruins it for me.  These new Bonnevilles do look good in the promotional pictures. However, I've been around long enough to know that all new bikes are shown in the best light and look great in the promotional pictures.  Hopefully, I'll see the Bonnevilles soon and will like the look.

Ducati's sport classics were a huge disappointment to me when they came out around 2006/7. So many details were completely off. The tanks were so huge and wide.  The rear end of the bike was jacked up like a sport bike. The dual exhaust worst laid out extremely wide and away from the bike, whereas, a classic bike has the exhaust tucked in tight to the frame.  My problem is that I actually know what these bikes should look like

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:29:58 AM by Travman »
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 08:27:14 AM »
The 270 crank runs a lot like the MG 90 L-twin.  It develops good power up high and less vibration.  The 270 engine runs without both pistons stopping at the same time.  When one reaches TDC, the other is at mid stroke.  Arguably, it's a better design.

I have a 360 twin motorcycle and I love it.  It does start to get unpleasant at speeds over 60 mph, although it will happily do the ton.

Many of these bikes have been converted to 277 over the years.  It's a popular mod, albeit expensive.

Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2016, 08:31:34 AM »

Feel.

It's funny that earlier some posters claimed the new Bonnies have no soul, but the Triples do.

Maybe that was true to some extent with the T100 variants, as they were a bit too smooth. But I never felt the Triples had much character either.

But reports are the 270 crank changes that and gives it a different feel.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2016, 08:45:53 AM »
Yep, that's the trend. Makes the front end look lighter by exposing the wheel.  Still, as a practical matter in everyday use, you're gonna get a lot of crud up front. Just keep a wash brush handy and/or maybe try a Fendaextenda.

Leafman, if you are up around DeKalb County I will let you ride my T120 around Little River Canyon.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Buddy Shagmore

• New Egg
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2016, 09:28:27 AM »
I believe "sound" has a lot to do with it. The 270 exhaust note is far more "exotic" than the 360's plodding blahhhh.
I picked up my Street Twin last week. Loving it so far. I think it looks awesome, it handles well, is a lot of fun to ride.
I ordered and am waiting for the optional 60's style plank seat, which will raise the seat height some and ease the knee bend a bit. The exhaust note is very pleasing on this bike, rather similar to a Ducati or Aprilia. 60mpg is rather  noteworthy too.
 Triumph emailed me a survey, and one of the questions was regarding my "decision for selecting the ST", and listed "sound" as one of the selections, along with looks, performance, etc. So Triumph is aware that muffler music is important to most, or at least some riders...one reason I never bought a BMW, lol.
I believe more parallel twins are going to the 270 crank...the Yamaha F7-07 comes to mind.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here