Author Topic: Where do you live?  (Read 11850 times)

Offline simonome

• New Egg
Where do you live?
« on: February 08, 2017, 04:09:46 AM »
I've read some posts which have made me very curious.

"which pocket knife do you carry"?
"shotgun vs handgun vs machinegun" (ok the machine gun is my joke  :cheesy: )

Ok, daily life on the other side of the ocean is the ocean is much different, but these posts make me think that most of you live in country area. How much USA can be different from Europe in its attitude towards weapons, I seriously struggle to imagine that anybody may feel the need to carry his/her pocked knife for his/her typical work commute downtown.
On my side, my only experience of wilderness are related to my trips to the supermarket :-D

I am so curious to see how your neighboroughs look like, so...we can use google street.

Here is the area where I live

upload pictures online privately

Here is the area where I mostly work

To be clear on privacy, these are not the actual buildings where I live and work: I prefer not to share such details on the big web, but the places are nearby.

What about your places?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:10:54 AM by simonome »

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
Re: Where do you live?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:21:19 AM »
i live in the ozarks, in the trees.

Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 04:37:40 AM »
I was raised in the big city, but today, this is my neighborhood:

And here is where I mostly work:

Paonia is a town of 1500 souls, with six churches to save them; 15,000 in the county. A coal mine up-valley has been working for 100 years, but today employs fewer than 100. Most of the economy is based on orchards, organic truck farming, wine-making, brewing, hard cider production and commercial-scale marijuana. Much hunting, for elk. I count eight major ski resorts within 2.5 hours. Great riding, paved and unpaved. BMWOC holds a rally here every July. 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:17:05 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:43:51 AM »
i live in the ozarks, in the trees.

I like your signature and makes me thing of 2015, when I drove to Le Mans to attend to the 24 hours and had to stay at a guesthouse some 20 miles from Le Mans.
When we arrived and did ask to the owner where we could go for dinner, she pointed to where we had come from and said "there is a restaurant 20 miles in that direction". And that was true. No restaurants or bars or shops or whatever for over 20 miles!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:43:51 AM »

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:14:02 AM »
kinda gets boring sometimes. good roads for riding motorcycles.  google locke arkansas not to bad google white rock mountain. great off roading. hunting
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Bill Hagan

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:03:07 AM »
Great idea for a thread, Simoneome.  Nice pix from others, and I hope to see more.

Not everyone puts their location in the profile, and it's interesting to see where folks live.

You are indeed blessed to live where you do.  Milan has its share of big-city woes, but what a delightful place.  And you are, as you well know, within easy striking distance -- in meters and kilometers -- of so many grand destinations that folks all over this planet dream of seeing.  If they are blessed, too, as are we, they get to be there at least once in their lives.

After being an Army gypsy in my childhood and later in my adult life, we lived all over, so returning to roots was important.  My German maternal-side roots near the Danube's source were too distant in many ways, so, after living in edgy, urban Downtown-with-a-capital-D for a few years, we did a cultural 180-degree swap for the top of Virginia. 

Cross Junction, in Frederick County, is a world and more away from Inman Park, and we love it here.  It is also where my fifth-great-grandfather got a land grant from Lord Fairfax in 1763.  OBTW, that land along Opequon Creek is about 12 miles from our present home and is within sight of the local Guzzi dealer. Destiny in all sorts of ways.   :laugh:

Our home is just about in the center of this map ...

More here: https://goo.gl/maps/Cu1msiqL3uH2

If anyone reading this is near there and sees this gate, come on up to the house.

We are less worried than you and others understandably are about security on the web and in "real life."  The Frederick County Sheriff's Office tells me that there hasn't been a home invasion outside of Winchester's city limits in 30+ years.  Many reasons for that.

Among those are, as you noted at the beginning, our Beretta 9000 and Remington 870 Tactical, which are likely equals to most threats, especially if Kathi -- a crack shot -- pulls the trigger.  I'll handle the field dressing of any perps with my Gerber Gator knife.   :wink:

Best,

Bill

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:51:00 AM by Bill Hagan »

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 07:14:43 AM »
From google earth. The lake is on my property and my residence is at the top of the shot and a bit to the right. Kind of just above the two ponds.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 07:28:34 AM »
I seriously struggle to imagine that anybody may feel the need to carry his/her pocked knife for his/her typical work commute downtown.

My pocket knife is a *tool* not a weapon, although I suppose it would be better than nothing. I use my pocket knife several times every day.
I do have weapons, though.. there are critters on the farm that need dispatched occasionally. Groundhogs are the worst. They'll undermine foundations, and.. make holes big enough to drop an airplane wheel in if you aren't vigilant. I have some semi permanent targets set up for practice.
What I can't imagine.. is living/working in a city.  :smiley:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2258289,-85.8159305,6653m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 07:34:01 AM »
this spot is about 500 meter away from my home

2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 07:50:24 AM »
my dog can be seen from Google earth.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Bill Hagan

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »

Pretty cool.

"Street view" for my addy shows me picking up the morning paper.   :grin:

Bill

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 07:56:16 AM »
I was born and grew up in Poughkeepsie, New York.  A few images here:

Beautiful area, but way too cold and wet in the winter.  I wanted to ride a motorcycle all year, so I eft in 1977 and went West: Austin, TX, Mt. View, California, Portland, Oregon, Phoenix, Arizona, Texas again (Dallas), Aachen, Germany, northern California (Pleasanton), and back to Arizona.  Now live in Red Rock country, in the Village of Oak Creek (Sedona), Arizona. :thumb: :cool:

ebay image hosting
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
Nearby where I live and (still) go to (evening) school twice a week.

Blessed to live in one of the nicest cities of the old continent  ;-)
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
Right out my back deck today about 11/2 hrs. S. of Elkader Ia.

free hosting online
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Bill Hagan

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »
Nearby where I live and (still) go to (evening) school twice a week.

Blessed to live in one of the nicest cities of the old continent  ;-)

Wow, Frans.

The wildguzzi tour bus will be at your front door in mid-April ... and every month from now on.   :bike-037: :grin: :boozing:

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 08:26:43 AM »
I live in an area that's so rural that a friend of mine once forgot he had his pistol in a holster on his side, and did his grocery shopping.  No one said anything to him about it, or even paid any extra attention to him.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 08:28:01 AM »
My pocket knife is a *tool* not a weapon.
:1:

I learned to shoot as a kid, but I've only ever carried a firearm while hiking in grizzly country.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »
I think the biggest difference in people's attitudes/culture is the "Country vs City" thing, sometimes even more than the delta between different countries.

I worked last year with a guy from southern France, and he sounded just like me ... deciding which rifle to pick when hunting the wild boars that tear up the crops and gardens, what's the best kind of knife to skin a boar out with, things like that.

A lot of people from cities here in the USA have no concept of why anyone would own a gun or carry a knife ....

Lannis

"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 08:37:03 AM »
I am more or less sandwiched between two large cities, Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Chicago Illinois.  I live near the Wisconsin and Illinois border in the city of Kenosha with a population of 100,000 people (too many for me, would love to move, but I have a good job).  I am also less than a mile west of Lake Michigan.  Our roads are pretty much straight as an arrow and rather boring.  We also tend to have long, cold winters.  Oh yeah, I was living in the Milwaukee area when I registered on this site years ago.  No sense in changing my handle this late in the game.       
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:39:02 AM by Vince in Milwaukee »
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 08:41:58 AM »
That's a really gorgeous picture, Frans..  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 08:51:16 AM »
A lot of it has to do with how and when the U.S. was settled.  When my forefather got off the boat he was given 50 acres (20 Hectares) for every member of his family.  Since there were 9 of them (including the in-laws) they were given 450 acres!  He was probably told he could do whatever he wanted with the land, but he couldn't stay there (now Charleston, SC). 

A lot of the tools used to live in big spaces, away from the support of others, are still in our DNA today.  Big cars, big trucks, big motorcycles and yes big knives and big guns.  As our agrarian economy has been overtaken by technology our cities have grown, but most people still choose to live in the suburbs over city dwelling.  It's really the complete opposite of the European experience of growth out of walled cities. 

As the country group Alabama once sang, " You can take me out of the country, but you can't take the country outta me."

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »

My Guzzi (2004 EV) can be seen from Google Street View.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:57 AM »
Google stars!!!

Offline Pisano

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 09:11:40 AM »
I took this picture today on my commute.  I go away from the center of town to get to work.  I bring tools and parts to fix most things on my bicycle cause there is no one out here to help if things go wrong.

free html images

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »
My pocket knife is a *tool* not a weapon, although I suppose it would be better than nothing. I use my pocket knife several times every day.

Yeah.  I have nice knives, but I carry a couple cheapish ones with me everyday.  A small serrated folder is on my key ring, and the one in my pocket has screw drivers and other features that I use more than the knife blade.  I use them constantly throughout the day for all kinds of mundane tasks from opening letters to cutting twine off hay bales!

The entertainment district in my town:

Ten minutes away, this is our horse pasture:

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »
I live in a small town that's close-ish to Detroit, Michigan. Too close some days, just far enough on others. The first photo is how the town dresses up for the Christmas holidays. The second is the downtown street-scape. I live in an in-town neighborhood withing walking distance to the downtown area. Weapons are not required but a pocket knife is always handy.

LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 09:51:26 AM »
No drama about where I live, check out the "handle" and signature!!

Offline jim mac

• Gosling
  • TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG www.guzzriders.org
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 09:55:15 AM »
I Live in a village / small town to the west of Edinburgh, near the famous Forth bridge - Kirkliston.   everything within 10 minutes walking

lots of history including the local church originally built by Knights Templar in 12 century.  loads of grave stones from 1600/1700's  including one which has a pair of spectacles carved on it - believed to be the oldest depiction of specs with legs in world - how's that for fame.

and a  hostelry where Rabbie Burns actually did stay on his travels

and a couple of big houses where the rich people live - I am not one of them

[imghttp://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mdf09e6b8ea5c8a3df3b5e991f92dec44o0&w=299&h=198&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7]http://[/img]

used to be the home of Drambuie, for all those drinking experts out there

and best of all,  my local pub

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:06:42 AM by jim mac »

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 10:02:15 AM »
I used to live here:

But now I live here

Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 10:12:18 AM »
Siloam Springs, Arkansas. A Mayberry-like town of 16,000 people, located on the western edge of the Ozark plateau, on the border between Arkansas and Oklahoma. Its a great area for motorcycle riding.
Downtown:

Hunting and recreational shooting are extremely popular, so the percentage of gun ownership is very high. Despite (or perhaps because of) that, it is also the safest town in Arkansas. http://www.movoto.com/blog/top-ten/safest-places-in-arkansas/
I grew up on a farm, where carrying a knife is second-nature. Even though I currently work in an office, its a habit I've retained. I've never had to use one as a weapon, and don't expect to, but they're handy for all sorts of other things.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here