Author Topic: Where do you live?  (Read 11822 times)

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
Re: Where do you live?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
you trying to make me miss home? grew up in Benton co Ar  cj...but it grew too much
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

ponti_33609

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
Great pictures, I love to see town environments so different from my own, and to read such stories!

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
Great pictures, I love to see town environments so different from my own, and to read such stories!

Ironically, I will be in Milan, Italy, Feb. 25-26-27 for the big MIDO Eyewear show.  Our company (Demeter Technologies) will have a booth there and I have to work the show for three days! :cool: :thumb:  This is where a group of us will be staying:  The Best Western Astoria Hotel Viale Murillo 9 Milan 20149 Italy  :cool: :thumb: 

In my free time, I will be looking for Moto Guzzi's and other cool motorcycles on the streets! :cool:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:30:41 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
Born in Sydney, raised on the Central Coast the "beachside paradise north of Sydney" and now live on the other side of the world in Wembury,  South Devon United Kingdom. Will post a pic later.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 11:48:39 AM »
Ironically, I will be in Milan, Italy, Feb. 25-26-27 for the big MIDO Eyewear show.  Our company (Demeter Technologies) will have a booth there and I have to work the show for three days! :cool: :thumb:  This is where a group of us will be staying:  The Best Western Astoria Hotel Viale Murillo 9 Milan 20149 Italy  :cool: :thumb: [/i][/b]

Cool, very close to the exhibition ground.

Too bad I will be out of town for the week end. If you are staying on 27 night too, we can organize a drink.

In my free time, I will be looking for Moto Guzzi's and other cool motorcycles on the streets! :cool:

well, I've seen a good deal of V7 and V9 going around lately. You should have no trouble in finding one or two.

Interestingly enough, you will be few hundred meters from the former factory of Alfa Romeo. Now the lot is occupied by a public park and a shopping mall. When you see the "corcscrew" hill, you'll know the place alfa romeos used to roll out from till the early nineties.

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
I live 20 miles south of San Francisco and just a few miles over the hill from where this was taken. Yes, I'm over the hill.

I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Bill Hagan

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »
Born in Sydney, raised on the Central Coast the "beachside paradise north of Sydney" and now live on the other side of the world in Wembury,  South Devon United Kingdom. Will post a pic later.

Were you and Pete Roper some sort of one-for-one trade between Britain and Australia?   :wink:

Bill

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »

Great idea for a thread! I'm in Springfield, mo. Aka "Queen City of the ozarks" (named when the term "queen" had a different meaning)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:35:50 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
My Hometown claim to fame.  One of the more popular legends of colonial America was that of Prince Madoc of Wales. Madoc sailed west from Wales in 1170, perhaps becoming one of the first Europeans to reach the Americas.  There are stone carvings and artifacts left behind by this man.  A large fort overlooking the Ohio River at 14 Mile Creek. 

I live in one of the poorest Cities in Indiana.  The Mayor is in the process of hollowing out the City in preparation of the future being built on the edge of town. Forcing poor residence out, bull dozing homes and business, not issuing building permits or remodeling permits.  There have been less than 9 permits per year issued in the 10 years he has been Mayor.   There are 10-12,000 new jobs currently with an expected growth to 60-65,000.  Kind of bitter sweet.  The DoD gave the County an old military ammunition manufacturing complex and it is being dismantled and rebuilt as one of the largest industrial, technology & research sights in the U.S.   It is an unbelievable complex.  No straight road.  Road beds built 3 feet thick and 50 feet wide.  Side walks and 1,000,000 square foot buildings.  Great place to road race bikes, for now.  And did I add, plenty of j.o.b.s.

Charlestown/Springville (Clark County/Clarks Grant), Indiana is one of the first European settlements west of the Appalachian Mountains.  The roads followed the original bison/buffalo traces.  My homestead was originally owned by William Clark's Sister and her Husband who traveled on the Corp of Discovery with William Clark and Meriwether Lewis of Lewis and Clark fame.  Very ancient history due to the location along the Ohio River, the water fall on the river, the tributary of Silver Creek and Pleasant Run Creeks.  These were used as travel routes to and from the area of Ohio.  You can't flip a shovel full of soil without finding artifacts.  It's home.  Middle America at it's finest. 

Offline Darmie

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »

Under the Big star

Texas!

Now with the new baby

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:48:39 PM by Darmie »
2016 V7 II Stone

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »
Cool, very close to the exhibition ground.

Too bad I will be out of town for the week end. If you are staying on 27 night too, we can organize a drink.

well, I've seen a good deal of V7 and V9 going around lately. You should have no trouble in finding one or two.

Interestingly enough, you will be few hundred meters from the former factory of Alfa Romeo. Now the lot is occupied by a public park and a shopping mall. When you see the "corcscrew" hill, you'll know the place alfa romeos used to roll out from till the early nineties.

Yes, I will still be at the Best Western the night of the 27th... :thumb: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
Aloha Simon!

I live on the largest island of the Hawaiian chain.  Considered rural by the Fed's but urbanized.  Population density throws it in that category.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2017, 03:05:51 PM »
Main street where I live:

2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 03:58:19 PM »
I live a mile from here:

Charlie

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »

About two blocks from my house.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
my hood,

right near where the Minnesota river meets the Mississippi..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

britman

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »
Across the street from George Washington's boyhood home.  (The name of my subdivision is Ferry Farm.) I am also surrounded by three major Civil War Battle sites that have been preserved.  Tons of history.......

http://www.visitfred.com/george-washingtons-boyhood-home-ferry-farm-0

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
I live in the village of Llanarth (Population about 1600)in Ceredigion, Wales, UK. There’s nothing that special about the village which straddles what passes for a main road in these parts. it’s 3 miles from an interesting coastline and there seem to be a high concentration of old fellas with an interest in riding old bikes like me.

This is looking out of my driveway onto the main coast road.

Everywhere in the UK has fairly busy roads but this is a rural area. The nearest dual carriageways is 30 miles away. There are plenty of options for a ride out.

New Quay 3 miles.

Cwm Ystwyth and the Elan Valley 25 miles.

Rheidol Valley with its narrow gauge railway 20 miles.

and the view from the train

1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »
I was raised in the big city, but today, this is my neighborhood:

And here is where I mostly work:

What a gorgeous place.

I see why you live there.

I have to drive on a weekly basis from my town to another, and have to do 100 miles on a highway laid at the feet of our Alps mountain chain. On clear days I can see those snowy peaks, full of wonderful small villages. Sometimes I really struggle not to drive off the first intersection and head there.

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »
From google earth. The lake is on my property and my residence is at the top of the shot and a bit to the right. Kind of just above the two ponds.

GliderJohn

I've never met anybody who owns a lake  :cool:

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2017, 09:21:54 AM »
Siloam Springs, Arkansas. A Mayberry-like town of 16,000 people, located on the western edge of the Ozark plateau, on the border between Arkansas and Oklahoma. Its a great area for motorcycle riding.
Downtown:

Hunting and recreational shooting are extremely popular, so the percentage of gun ownership is very high. Despite (or perhaps because of) that, it is also the safest town in Arkansas. http://www.movoto.com/blog/top-ten/safest-places-in-arkansas/
I grew up on a farm, where carrying a knife is second-nature. Even though I currently work in an office, its a habit I've retained. I've never had to use one as a weapon, and don't expect to, but they're handy for all sorts of other things.

Very nice place.

Just to make a comparison size-wise, this is an Italian village of similar scale

It is called Guidizzolo and is in the middle of nowhere.

It is the place where my granpa has born and lived until the end of WWII. Then he moved to Milano in seek of fortune.

I still go there from time to time because granpa and grandma are buried there.

Incidentally, it is the place of De Portago's accident during the Mille Miglia race of 1957, which eventually lead to the ban of that race.

I've visited the spot and it is incredible. The country road is a long, straight stretch of tarmac in the middle of absolutely nothing. There is just one farm building in miles. He went off the road exactly on that spot, hitting 11 villagers. 100 yards before or after would have had little if no consequences.

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »

Can't be too careful, 'cause with that small scrap of information could allow someone to track you down!

Out here in the wild west, we're all packing!
:-)

I know I know, but I prefer to be overzelous about my privacy on the big web.

You know the first law of google says: what is shared, cannot be un-shared.

Of course I'm not worried about the people here, but about leaving marks behind, and not knowing who could follow them in the years-decades to come.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:25:17 AM by simonome »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »

Of course I'm not worried about the people here, but about leaving marks behind, and not knowing who could follow them in the years-decades to come.

There is a piece of 1-1/2 thick piece of pine between the world and anything and everything you want to know about me.  No lock, no alarm, no guard dog, no camera.  I figure if they want it, they are going to get it anyway.  Just don't destroy my home getting it.

Any one that wants to me has bigger issues than I do.  Scary. 

kirby1923

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »

My attempt at a bit of humor. I understand completely and having lived a bunch of years in Europe I am familiar with the cultural difference..too each....

Since I'm from Texas people would ask me if it were true that we all went armed and if so why.

Many answers to that one.

:-)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2017, 02:30:22 PM »
 If you live in the American wild country, you should alway carry a knife in case you have to kill a bear in self defense.

The knife is to skin it with, you probably had to shoot it.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline KraZ440

• New Egg
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
I live about 20 minutes from Moto International.

Here's a shot of our local transportation system (just down the hill from me):

2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
1982 Kawasaki KZ440

Offline Brevaman

• New Egg
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »
I live a mile from here:

Nice picture!  I'm semi-retired as a stone mason contractor, so the structure is interesting to me.  Looks like the arch opening is horseshoe shaped.  Cool!  These days of course the item in the foreground has it's own beauty....and much more engaging.
'08 Breva 750, the pretty one
'16 CB500X
'11 Suzuki DL650A sold
'09 Yamaha XT250 sold
'90 BMW K100LT sold
'80 Suzuki G850L sold
'70 R75/5 Black Beauty sold

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
I live on Keuka Lake close to Penn Yan in upstate NY. We have lived on the lake for 31 years now. Keuka lake is in the shape of a "Y" with 100 miles of shoreline. It is Mennonite farm country with a growing winery list scattered about. It is 30 minutes from Watkins Glen. The population has not changed much in over 100 years. County pop is 25000. Penn Yan is also the home of Andy Hill, Moto Guzzi aficionado extraordinaire.

Not many folks living here and plenty of great motorcycle roads to choose from.
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2017, 05:02:37 PM »

Our historic home, and the 'Old Tavern' in the background became famous for hosting a rebellious speech by Patrick Henry against the Crown.
Many rural towns in Virginia have gun clubs with firing ranges, one gets used to the sound of semi-automatic gunfire.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here