Author Topic: The GRIT rally  (Read 14627 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: The GRIT rally
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 12:16:26 AM »
Beaver, there aren't many cows in Alaska, so I'm ignorant of the societal traditions surrounding them.  Did you know you're not supposed to tip your cow in America?  I don't know why.  They don't make minimum wage, and in the end we eat them.  But I read where people get arrested for doing it. 

I was hoping the big beav had a fried pie.  And why a beaver if it's about cows?  And why does the sign say "Beaver, OK"?  Were people confusing it for a cow?  Even I can tell the difference, and see above.  It makes my brain hurt. 

I gotta get used to this proper culture stuff.  I can say "pecan" now, and that's progress. Please be patient while I assimilate.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 06:14:39 PM »
The house Boss said that "Beaver better be OK!"  :grin: 

So does the Legion hall have a bar?  :azn:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 06:23:55 PM »
Oh -- Oh -- I know this one.

The Legion property includes a firing range.  It is a unique hall in that respect.  Because of the gun range there is no alcohol sold or served on-site. 

I'm speculating now, but based on stories I've heard, independent events like the rally might not be "dry".  You might be able to byob.

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 06:25:50 PM »
Does that mean I can bring my new PARA black ops 1911? Lol. If the range is open I'm in!
1994 California 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 06:25:50 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »
That's above my pay grade.  I'm not sure what the rules for the range are, or if it's available to independent events.  Tex or Beaver should be along shortly to help on that question.

Tex, tell Wilson "meow" backatcha.  Say it mean.

oldbike54

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 07:22:37 PM »
 Rumor has it they named the small town in Oklahoma Beaver because the name Hooker was already taken . Slapout of course was named after the famous explorer S.L.P. (Slap) Out , an English Viscount from the Scratchy Bottom region .

Dusty

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 12:17:15 AM »
Does that mean I can bring my new PARA black ops 1911? Lol. If the range is open I'm in!

A member of the pistol range has to be present and then it costs you a little bit of money.  Not sure if it's $5 or $15. Neither Ken nor I are members, but another Guzzi rider around here is, and if he shows up, then you can all go shoot.  Bring it if you want and I'll remind Roger of the dates! 

So does the Legion hall have a bar?  :azn:

Rodekyll is correct, no bar, but you can bring your own.  Beer and wine is sold in town.  Bring a fishin' pole and you can catch some supper. 

Beaver
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2017, 12:31:56 AM »
Still trying to figure out a route.  Right hand turn in OK or a left in NM.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 05:33:40 AM »
Here is the correct info concerning alcoholic beverages at the American Legion.

NO booze at the gun range. (that makes sense.)

You can bring in your own from places three miles away that sell beer and wine. (At one time this area was dry and you had to drive 20 miles to get adult beverages.)

You'll see signs saying no glass bottles, but Guzzi riders are not the type to chunk a bottle against a rock. There will be plenty of koozies to put your glass bottle in and paper bags for wine. I'm the sergeant at Arms at the Legion that enforces the rules, however, for the rally Ray Charles and Ronnie Milsap are in charge of the glass bottle rule.

Tex

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »
Still trying to figure out a route.  Right hand turn in OK or a left in NM.  :grin:

Well if you wanna git yer picshur made with the Big Cowchip throwing Beaver, ya got's to make a right hand turn in OK.  If you hang out after GRIT and go the the Okie Campout, we can take you to the Eiffel Tower in Paris if you've never been.  New York is pretty close by too!  :wink:

Beaver

MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »

we can take you to the Eiffel Tower in Paris if you've never been.  New York is pretty close by too!  :wink:

Well, if you come to Las Vegas I know a place you can stand and see the Eiffel Tower in one direction, and the New York skyline in the other! Step across the street, and you can see Lake Como (minus Mandello del Lario, sadly...)
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
Beaver, there aren't many cows in Alaska, so I'm ignorant of the societal traditions surrounding them.  Did you know you're not supposed to tip your cow in America?  I don't know why.  They don't make minimum wage, and in the end we eat them.  But I read where people get arrested for doing it. 

I gotta get used to this proper culture stuff.  I can say "pecan" now, and that's progress. Please be patient while I assimilate.

No, no, no Rodekyll, you got it all wrong.  Cow tipping is only illegal if it's a government cow and then it's considered a bribe.  This is from an internet source, so you know it's gotta be true!

"Cow tipping is a term that describes the custom of giving bovines an additional sum of money in exchange for their milk, meat, or other services. Cow tipping is quite common in the American South, and it is considered proper etiquette to tip at least fifteen percent of whatever the bill may be. In fact, dairy cows make a majority of their money from tips and only receive two pennies for each gallon of their milk that is sold. Although in most situations, cow tipping is appropriate, in some circumstances, such as milking a cow belonging to the US government, cow tipping is illegal, as the money that is received may be considered to be a bribe."

I hope you're re-educating everyone you meet about the proper way to say "pecan".  I just cringe to hear it pronounced incorrectly.   :angry:

Beaver
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

oldbike54

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
  :laugh:

So how much does one tip a tractor ?

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »
I am thankful for the education!  Now this issue of grazing on federal land becomes much more clear -- it's a potential conflict of interests. Also explains that cheese I passed around down to the food bank.  You know -- the stuff labeled "cheese" with no other explanation.

Dusty, I gave that answer in another topic.  The answer is 34.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »

I hope you're re-educating everyone you meet about the proper way to say "pecan".  I just cringe to hear it pronounced incorrectly.   :angry:

Beaver

Just wait till he starts saying POH-lees or IN-surance or VEE-hick-ell!!

Now...when do we put in our order for some Huckleberry pie??   :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:38:24 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »
[snippity]

Beaver

Then you know  how I feel just listening to a typical Texan in conversation. Yours might be the culture with the record for the most syllables in a single-letter word.  :evil: :whip2:  :smiley:

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 02:24:46 PM »
A pee can is what you put under the bed so you don't have to make the trip to the outhouse. You eat a pi-kan'.

Tex

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »
Just wait till he starts saying POH-lees or IN-surance or VEE-hick-ell!!

Now...when do we put in our order for some Huckleberry pie??   :grin: :grin:

How else would you pronounce those words except IN-surance would be IN-shurnce (2 syllables instead of 3). 

If we grew Huckleberries in East Texas, the season would be over probably mid-July.  Sorry.  Maybe you can find some and bring us a pie!

Then you know  how I feel just listening to a typical Texan in conversation. Yours might be the culture with the record for the most syllables in a single-letter word.  :evil: :whip2:  :smiley:

Not only do we stretch words out, but we combine multiple words into short single words.  Example, "I am going to" can be I'm fixin' to, or "Imon".  "Hey honey, Imon go to the sto-wer, wamee pic-yup sum sirp?"  Now that's how to speak correct English!   :grin: :grin:

Somewhere I've got a "How to Talk Texan" book.  If I can find it, I'll bring it to the rally.  It's not really East Texan though.

Beeve
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

oldbike54

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 06:19:38 PM »
 Jaeatyet ?Jawanto ?

That ain't ah gunna happen bubba .

Why you think yer about half bulldog doncha ?

Ya'll ain'tah quite right , are ya .

Well'na , mama told me not ta kiss a rattlesnake .

This'll give ya Yankees a head start  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 09:06:07 PM »

Just remember - we all knew you shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2017, 02:04:56 AM »
If I hit Mexico, I should've turn left sooner.  Get it.... :grin:  "Sooner"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:35:53 PM by Tom »

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »
It's gettin' so close. I can't wait to do some riding through those pine trees again!!
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2017, 08:18:42 PM »
Will there be any vendors there? And if so maybe on Saturday?
1994 California 1100

oldbike54

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2017, 08:24:16 PM »

Yeah , hundreds of vendors , vendors everywhere .

Dusty

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2017, 07:36:40 AM »
Yeah , hundreds of vendors , vendors everywhere .

Dusty

:bow:
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »
Hoping to be able to swing it again this year, will be travelling back from Canada on Friday, so hopefully I will ride up Saturday morning.

Thinking I might be able to light one of Tex's cigars with a rev from the Scura's LaFranconi pipes!  :)

Time to win another one of these fantastic Guzzi mugs!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:59:26 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2017, 07:15:33 PM »

Well there is that guy that sells sweet pickle jalapeņos out by the highway, there is a big flea market and the dollar Taco stand near Fruitvale.  No mc acessories vendors, very occasionally a MG dealer will stop by, and ocassionally someone will bring some stuff to sell/trade/barter and and sometimes a camp dog available for adoption.   But generally no vendors.  We are too frugal.

You really should make this rally if possible, you will meet a Gaggle of Guzzisti of different social, economic and political backgrounds.  New friendships will be made and old friendships strengthened. Good -natured laughter will prevail, but some tears may be shed for our absent brothers and sisters.  There may be spontaneous sing-a-longs or horseshoe tournaments.  Fish caught, pistols shot. Food will be cooked and consumed and cooked and consumed and if we haven't eaten enough we'll ride for hotlinks or East Texas sushi.  Beer runs will turn into all afternoon rides. Fires will be built, cooking and looking at fires. Tall tales will be told and bullshit called.  The owls will hoot and the cayotes cry and we'll all settle in for a nights rest.

Some kind soul will wake up early to make coffee.  God Bless the coffeemakers and we'll start again on some variation on the theme.

All the while, Tex will be holden court at the pavilion as Beautiful Beaver conducts us through scrumptious meals, organizes her minions, keeps a watchful eye on the kids and grandkids including a bunch of us big kids and endlessly showers all with her motherly love.

It's a gathering of the Tribe, the rendezvous to mark the beginning of the fall rally season and an event not to be missed.

Dave
Galveston

Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2017, 07:19:42 PM »
Hoping to be able to swing it again this year, will be travelling back from Canada on Friday, so hopefully I will ride up Saturday morning.

Thinking I might be able to light one of Tex's cigars with a rev from the Scura's LaFranconi pipes!  :)

Time to win another one of these fantastic Guzzi mugs!

Might light a cigar myself after Friday night bean dinner.

We're the fart emoji go?

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »
Well there is that guy that sells sweet pickle jalapeņos out by the highway, there is a big flea market and the dollar Taco stand near Fruitvale.  No mc acessories vendors, very occasionally a MG dealer will stop by, and ocassionally someone will bring some stuff to sell/trade/barter and and sometimes a camp dog available for adoption.   But generally no vendors.  We are too frugal.

You really should make this rally if possible, you will meet a Gaggle of Guzzisti of different social, economic and political backgrounds.  New friendships will be made and old friendships strengthened. Good -natured laughter will prevail, but some tears may be shed for our absent brothers and sisters.  There may be spontaneous sing-a-longs or horseshoe tournaments.  Fish caught, pistols shot. Food will be cooked and consumed and cooked and consumed and if we haven't eaten enough we'll ride for hotlinks or East Texas sushi.  Beer runs will turn into all afternoon rides. Fires will be built, cooking and looking at fires. Tall tales will be told and bullshit called.  The owls will hoot and the cayotes cry and we'll all settle in for a nights rest.

Some kind soul will wake up early to make coffee.  God Bless the coffeemakers and we'll start again on some variation on the theme.

All the while, Tex will be holden court at the pavilion as Beautiful Beaver conducts us through scrumptious meals, organizes her minions, keeps a watchful eye on the kids and grandkids including a bunch of us big kids and endlessly showers all with her motherly love.

It's a gathering of the Tribe, the rendezvous to mark the beginning of the fall rally season and an event not to be missed.

Dave
Galveston

You're making it sound more like the kum-by-ya rally in Canon Beach . . . .   :tongue:

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »
Namaste, RK.
You attending this year?
I'll let you lead the drum circle and the Kum ba ya chorus.
You remember the words from your hippie days.

Dave
Galveston
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:10:48 PM by davedel44 »
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here