Author Topic: V9 Over V7?  (Read 16623 times)

Online greer

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V9 Over V7?
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2017, 05:38:11 AM »
Guzzi�s V9 Bobber, re-imagined by GuzziTech/GT Motocycles, into the bike everyone wants; A V7 with the V9 motor. V7 Bodywork with 6-gallon fuel tank, repositioned foot peg rails, bars and GT-Rx� exhaust system. Stock 850cc motor with new Hemi-heads. Six speed, ABS and traction control.

Wet weight: 438 lbs.
Seat Height: 30.7�

Wow, that's light for a bike with that much fuel capacity and shaft drive.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2017, 05:49:03 AM »
No, not everybody wants a V7 with V9 - engine. It makes no sense. The engine is marginal stronger, but because of its stronger end drive also heavier.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

bpreynolds

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2017, 06:03:33 AM »
No, not everybody wants a V7 with V9 - engine. It makes no sense. The engine is marginal stronger, but because of its stronger end drive also heavier.

I don’t want to encourage too much thread drift here but I still think it was an odd decision - well, odd seemingly to my non-marketing brain - for Guzzi to offer the new engine in an unproven sales platform (V9) while then keeping the old engine in their most proven sales leader (V7).  Yes, don’t tinker with success, but I think this just muddled the waters too much.  My opinion only. 

Online greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2017, 06:45:35 AM »
I had to go check wet weight figures on the MG USA website.  The V9 is listed at 438lbs with all fluids but no fuel; add 24lbs for the 4 gallons of gas and you'll be at 462lbs wet.  The V7III is listed at 460lbs with 90% fuel, so pretty much dead on with full tanks. 

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2017, 06:45:35 AM »

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2017, 07:28:35 AM »
from a marketing standpoint, i like how MG did this.  they really needed and still need to try and expand their buyer base.  i don't think that just another upgrade on the v7 would have done this.  i agree that the power difference on paper is not great, and that i have not personally ridden a 9, but all that i have heard is that the drivability and the power curve are different.  i think the styling is a little out of the usual MG mold, but if the goal was to attract newer to the brand riders, the concept is in the right direction.  psychologically, 900 sounds much faster than 750 and you cannot write this off since most motorcycles are bought with the heart and not the head.
look at bmw, they have a 800 that they call a 700 - talk about odd.
Blue Guzz

Offline Cory

• New Egg
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2017, 07:48:15 AM »
While we're at it, and if no one minds, how's the V7 III Stone for a passenger?

Online greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2017, 07:57:59 AM »
Cory, scroll down to zokn's post here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/anybody-have-a-moto-guzzi-v7.835438/page-33

They seem to have a blast on their V7.

Sarah

Offline Cory

• New Egg
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2017, 08:13:01 AM »
Thanks.  Looks pretty good-to-go.

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »
I am a recovering marketing person. Guzzi like just about everybody else who wants to crack the American market feels to do so they must compete in cruisers, witness some of the stuff BMW and Ducati have kicked out in the last few years.  The V9 is a bridge bike, between the more overt cruisers of the 1400's and the more traditional roadsters of the V7/sporting heritage lines.  There is a piece in Rider Mag. right now which compares  the Triumph Bobber, the Indian Scout, and the V9 in which they basically say the V9 is the most standardish of the group.  I think that may be its problem, it's not quite cruiserish for that tribe but not quite roadster enough for tradionalist.  A shame really because it's a really nice bike.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:32:51 AM by rider33 »
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline kenvil1

• Gosling
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2017, 09:18:09 AM »
I had to go check wet weight figures on the MG USA website.  The V9 is listed at 438lbs with all fluids but no fuel; add 24lbs for the 4 gallons of gas and you'll be at 462lbs wet.  The V7III is listed at 460lbs with 90% fuel, so pretty much dead on with full tanks.

Moto Guzzi Canada curb weight:  V7II Stone:    417lb / 189Kg
                                                V7III Stone:   461lb / 209Kg
                                                V7III Special: 470lb / 213Kg
                                                  V9 Bobber:   438lb / 199Kg
Make of it what you will.

bpreynolds

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2017, 09:49:05 AM »
I am a recovering marketing person. Guzzi like just about everybody else who wants to crack the American market feels to do so they must compete in cruisers, witness some of the stuff BMW and Ducati have kicked out in the last few years.  The V9 is a bridge bike, between the more overt cruisers of the 1400's and the more traditional roadsters of the V7/sporting heritage lines.  There is a piece in Rider Mag. right now which compares  the Triumph Bobber, the Indian Scout, and the V9 in which they basically say the V9 is the most standardish of the group.  I think that may be its problem, it's not quite cruiserish for that tribe but not quite roadster enough for tradionalist.  A shame really because it's a really nice bike.

I do think you may be onto something here!!!  Of the many Guzzis I’ve owned, they all get about the same amount of compliments in sum; well okay, maybe not the Stelvio but it had it’s own admirers certainly  :grin: including me.  But I’ve really noticed a difference in the Roamer to all of those where more cruiser riders and people who are generally not so called enthusiasts or even motorcyclists per se love it.  And I get that in one regard because it’s got that gorgeous Sportsterish (there, I said it) look to it.  And I have always LOVED Sportsters so maybe that’s why my eyes actually like it better on the whole visually than the V7III - though both are stunning bikes.  On the other hand, however, I would classify any of the 4 previous 1100 Calis I’ve owned as more cruiserish so to speak but they never got that kinda love from that specific population.  Maybe they were just more “Italian” cruiserish or something. 

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2017, 09:56:01 PM »
Cory
  While we're at it, and if no one minds, how's the V7 III Stone for a passenger? 

I was using my 883 w/big seat for my "WE" bike and my wife liked it , but she says the V-7 has more room.   Something to do with the handle bars has me leaned forward giving her more room , and the extra weight makes the V-7II Stone ride softer too.  :thumb:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Roamer853

• New Egg
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
Regarding the foot peg position: this has been one of the biggest criticisms of the V9.
I have thought long and hard about fitting the set to the newer configuration about 4 " rearward and up an inch.
So I sat on the V7s to approximate the feeling and found it at 6'2" and 33" inseam, too tight.
Quite like the forwarding position even if shins get a hot warning on occasion.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2017, 07:51:23 PM »
Quite like the forwarding position even if shins get a hot warning on occasion.

I very quickly learned to ride the V7 III with shinguards. :sad:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
I very quickly learned to ride the V7 III with shinguards. :sad:
That's weird, never needed anything like that on my V7. Hmmm
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Bluerobotz

• New Egg
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2017, 06:05:41 AM »
Heck. You could even get a V9 with V7 styling from he-who-must-not-be-named.

image album hosting

Now that looks good ergo wise! Who is "he-who-must-not-be-named" by the way?

I still love my B750. This is the best all-round bike I have ever owned. Not the best looking bike to some (so I've been told), but you can't see it when you are riding it. I don't buy bikes for their looks, I even had a V-Max at one point, possibly the ugliest bike I've ever owned, but a good bike (for me at that point in my life - all 9 weeks of it lol).

2003 B750, 1984 GPz900R A1, 1985 GPz900R A2, 1981 V50 Monza, 1973 Eldorado Civilian

Offline Strada

• New Egg
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »

Now that looks good ergo wise! Who is "he-who-must-not-be-named" by the way?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2017, 10:57:32 AM »

Yes please.
Who is HWMNBN.
How can I break a rule if I don't know what it is?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »
 :clock:
What would be your opinion of someone who grafted a 1400 donk into a standard Griso frame ?
Would that fit into the same bracket of pointless lunacy of which you speak ???

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
That's weird, never needed anything like that on my V7. Hmmm

I think it has to do with my 31.5 inseams.  With my feet flat on the ground, the pegs touch my shins and the slightest movement causes damage.  Backing into a parking spot turned them a lovely shade of magenta that took a couple of weeks to fade.  After my second ride, I dug through my kid's old soccer stuff and found some tiny undersock protectors.  Problem solved. 

I have tried without them to see if it was a learning curve thing, and I still came up bruised.  I've since upgraded to larger, velcro oversock style guards, which I forget I'm wearing once our destination is reached.  I even wear the guards under my tall boots, as they are padded, not armored. 

This is a pic and quote from Moto International's site.  "To better accommodate shorter riders, we have compiled a custom kit of components that lower seat height approximately 2". The kit consists of a lower, narrower seat with gel insert, shorter rear shocks, repositioned front forks, and different hand levers better accommodating a shorter reach. The woman in the pictures is 5'2" and has a 30" inseam. She is flat-footed on both feet wearing boots."

She is standing over the bike, not sitting.  In a seated position, the only choice is near shin to peg contact. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:33:53 AM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2017, 11:45:19 AM »
Yes please.
Who is HWMNBN.
How can I break a rule if I don't know what it is?
He's been named (Todd) repeatedly in this thread, no?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »
I think it has to do with my 31.5 inseams.  With my feet flat on the ground, the pegs touch my shins and the slightest movement causes damage.  Backing into a parking spot turned them a lovely shade of magenta that took a couple of weeks to fade.  After my second ride, I dug through my kid's old soccer stuff and found some tiny undersock protectors.  Problem solved. 

I have tried without them to see if it was a learning curve thing, and I still came up bruised.  I've since upgraded to larger, velcro oversock style guards, which I forget I'm wearing once our destination is reached.  I even wear the guards under my tall boots, as they are padded, not armored. 

This is a pic and quote from Moto International's site.  "To better accommodate shorter riders, we have compiled a custom kit of components that lower seat height approximately 2". The kit consists of a lower, narrower seat with gel insert, shorter rear shocks, repositioned front forks, and different hand levers better accommodating a shorter reach. The woman in the pictures is 5'2" and has a 30" inseam. She is flat-footed on both feet wearing boots."

She is standing over the bike, not sitting.  In a seated position, the only choice is near shin to peg contact. 

*shrugs* 32" inseam but V7 I has slightly different ergos. I neither bang my shins on pegs ever or warm them with the jugs.

I'll have to try sitting on a III this coming year.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
:clock:What would be your opinion of someone who grafted a 1400 donk into a standard Griso frame ?
Would that fit into the same bracket of pointless lunacy of which you speak ???

I don�t speak of pointless lunacy. I only say it makes no sense. That is because the difference between the engines is marginal. And it would be an inpolite way to express an opinion.

That said putting a 1400 into a Griso would be an interesting experiment. Putting a cruiser engine into a roadster. Even when it is a (relatively) high revving engine for a cruiser.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:07:14 PM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Bluerobotz

• New Egg
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
*shrugs* 32" inseam but V7 I has slightly different ergos. I neither bang my shins on pegs ever or warm them with the jugs.

I'll have to try sitting on a III this coming year.

Kev, I know this is a US board, but your reference to the word "Jugs" while referring to a picture of a lady on a motorcycle had me in stitches. Thanks for the laugh, I nearly spat my cornflakes across my screen.  :laugh:
2003 B750, 1984 GPz900R A1, 1985 GPz900R A2, 1981 V50 Monza, 1973 Eldorado Civilian

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
He's been named (Todd) repeatedly in this thread, no?
Dunno Kev, but there's clearly a meeting I've missed somewhere.
It'd be good to get the guts on it though.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2017, 03:46:45 PM »
I don�t speak of pointless lunacy. I only say it makes no sense. That is because the difference between the engines is marginal. And it would be an inpolite way to express an opinion.

That said putting a 1400 into a Griso would be an interesting experiment. Putting a cruiser engine into a roadster. Even when it is a (relatively) high revving engine for a cruiser.
Oh, ok.
Yeah I reckon it would be an interesting thing to do too.
Just wondered how it fitted in with the comment of putting a larger engine into an existing bike made no sense.
If it's fun then it has already made sense.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »
Kev, I know this is a US board, but your reference to the word "Jugs" while referring to a picture of a lady on a motorcycle had me in stitches. Thanks for the laugh, I nearly spat my cornflakes across my screen.  [emoji23]
Ha ha, the term is used here as well, but also for other things, like the cylinders and heads of a motorcycle, so I didn't think twice. I guess personally I use the term for the latter about 9 or 10 times out of 10 times lol.
Dunno Kev, but there's clearly a meeting I've missed somewhere.
It'd be good to get the guts on it though.
Are you asking?

Todd from Guzzitech and a number of the members of this board don't see eye to eye. The blood is especially bad it seems between him and Roper/Beetle.

I'll leave it there.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »
Ha ha, the term is used here as well, but also for other things, like the cylinders and heads of a motorcycle, so I didn't think twice. I guess personally I use the term for the latter about 9 or 10 times out of 10 times lol.Are you asking?

Todd from Guzzitech and a number of the members of this board don't see eye to eye. The blood is especially bad it seems between him and Roper/Beetle.

I'll leave it there.
Oh ok.
That makes more sense than I thought it would.
Thanks Kev.

Offline twinswin

• New Egg
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »

As per that engine, the V9 does feel considerably more torquey and have more roll-on power for sure than my �15 Stone, but I never felt that bike was underpowered.  My demo ride on the new V7III felt closer in power and feel to the V9 engine than the demo felt to my previous �15 Stone IMHO. 

The Roamer has the smaller tank but does it really matter? 

That's a gorgeous bike, *exactly* what I would buy and how I would modify if buying a new Guzzi.

A 1 gallon auxilary fuel tank, hidden in a matching leather case, mounted on that rear rack, would cure the range issues and still look good. The rack is higher than the bottom of the tank so it could be gravity fed. Maybe even a back rest pad for a passenger added.  It would take some crafty manuafacturing, but seems doable.   :thumb:

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »
I like both of them, and I would be happy with either (especially with the Anniversario!).

The smaller tank of the V9 does not bother me. It has more than enough range to cover the distance I can travel before needing to stop and relieve my aching rear end and cramped legs on my Norge. It also has, I think, the better engine. Still I would be happy with either.

As for the co-existence of the V7 III and the V9, why not? The V7 accounts for too large a portion of Moto Guzzi’s sales to drop it, and the V9 adds a step-up for would-be buyers of the V7...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here