Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 10323 times)

oldbike54

The Olympics
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:20:05 PM »
 Anyone else watching ? Yeah yeah , over commercialized , and recent issues are certainly not pretty, but the athleticism on display is astonishing .

Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: The Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:39:12 PM »
  So are the girls on skates!
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:43:03 PM »
naw
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »
I'm hoping  Lindsey Vonn can score a gold!  is she there?
also the freestyle skiing Elle Gaudette advanced to final?
the Curling teams (boring) are heavy with Minnesotans.. so is the Women's hockey team, i think..
we have Biathlon talent from my lake home, Olympian Leif Nordgren (Marine on St. Croix).

so, watching some but not the figure skating..I go over to CNN or PBS when that's on.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »
Curling starting today.  But one of the best starts tomorrow, the opening. Ceremonies are re something special.   A glimpse at what the future might be, not to make to much, but something too work for. We all have youngines we love.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »
 Neighbor kid just turned eleven and she is a future Olympic hopeful in gymnastics . She has won or placed in several regional events , very nice young lady . On occasion she puts on a little show for the neighborhood . Some of what she can do is astonishing .

Dusty

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 09:20:38 PM »
Oklahoma is the epicenter of American gymnastics! who'd a thunk that a few years ago (when it was Michigan?)
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:28:21 PM »
Oklahoma is the epicenter of American gymnastics! who'd a thunk that a few years ago (when it was Michigan?)

Nadia and Bart moving to OKC helped , as did Shannon Miller's success . Still kinda weird to contemplate though , what next , a good NBA franchise with a Maori tribesman playing center located in Oklahoma ... Oh , wait , never mind  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »
I'm with you, Fotoguzzi. Flipping between the  Olympics and CNN.  They're a pretty big deal here in Colorado Springs!

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:43:12 PM »
Love LAWES from the Canadian Mixed-Doubles Curling.  She doesn't weight a whole lot more than the stone she's trying to throw!

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 12:20:05 AM »
My favorite time of the year! I'll be glued to the TV until the end. Been counting down for months.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 04:42:56 AM »
We have several Western New Yorkers competing.  It's exciting for us.

Curling is only boring for those who have not done it.  Lots of skill and strategy needed to be any good.  My mother was on the US National womans championship team MANY years ago.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »
Watching/cheer is obligatory in Whitehorse. From a community of 28,000 we have three olympians representing nordic skiing for Canada (yes, I'm proud for my community). I remember very clearly, when I was in the sports industry, sizing new skis for one of them every winter since she was maybe six years old. Go Daria.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »
 No , curling isn't boring .

Every Olympics has an event or competitor that catches my interest , heck , I wouldn't cross country ski on a bet , but for some reason the cross country races in 2010 in Vancouver held my attention , and the ski jumping , WOW .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 09:27:11 AM »
Very "informative" thread, this ...  :grin:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »
Though I’ve never really participated in many winter sports, there are several that I enjoy watching. As a cyclist, I particularly take interest in speed skating (a cycling cross-training sport). However, biathlon, hockey, downhill, cross-country, ski-jumping, luge, and bobsled are also fun to check out. I’m nursing a torn Achilles right now, so I’m watching a bunch of tube anyway...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 02:18:45 AM »
Biathlon is the one for me. How they take their heart rate from full sprint down to sniper calm in a matter of moments confounds me. And short track speed skating... all out racing elbow to shoulder.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

beetle

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 03:12:48 AM »
I like the snowboarding, and the skating, and the downhill, and the super-G, and the moguls, and the ice hockey! Oh, the luge, and skeleton, and bobsleigh, and the curling!

Love it!

:thumb:

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 07:14:48 AM »
Love it all

I'll be watching

Could just imagine what it's like to fly the length of a football field propelled from a hill by just gravity and two BIG boards strapped to your feet...or heading downhill at 75 mph with two smaller boards....amazing.

wait make that a football field and 30 more yards....US jumper just hit 109 meters!

Curling is awesome to watch and it makes me smile when every Olympics  we see Bemidji produce!!!

I'm hooked Go world
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 04:17:48 PM »
 Wholey Schmidt , the "slope style" snowboarding event is incredible .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 04:54:02 PM »
I like watching women's curling.

I thought I must be missing something.  Maybe a reason to watch?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »
Have been fortunate to cover Olympic and world championship skiing, as a sportswriter, since '74. And I've met a bunch of the alpine racers. Obviously I love it, at least the timed events and ski jumping (less impressed by judged events). And hockey.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:22:10 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline DonT

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
While alpine skiing goes on every year from October to early March (World Cup) the Olympics brings it into general focus.  There are two unbelievable athletes to watch.  If you want to root for USA, go for Mikaela Shiffren.  At 22 years old, she has already won more than 40 world cup races, mostly in slalom, where she routinely blows away the competition.  She won the overall world cup easily last year, and this year has double the points on her closest rival.  She has started to extend into the speed events, and "somehow" was able to win the fourth DH she entered.  She won the gold at the last Olympics, and is on track to become the greatest skier of all time (until the next)  On the men's side, Marcel Hirscher of Austria is doing the same, or better.  He is a 6 time defending World Cup Champion, but has no Olympic gold . . .  Men's racing is more competitive, but this year, Marcel has answered.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
Luge,Bobsled, I feel the need for speed and G forces, and as a skier since early teens I’m right there on all the downhill events,at times I feel my body bending and twisting right with them. Last night watching the team pair figure skating event I was totally impressed with the Italians but all the pairs were impressive.I was a total rink rat as a kid both hockey and figure skating, but watching how they physically throw themselves into the air with such control just blows me away, But I often wish I could mute the announcers/ commentators and leave the music. I know the back stories on all the obstacles they had to overcome to get there plays a big role in building the individuals charcter which is What got them on the stage with the worlds best, but sometimes the drama and constant chatter takes away from the performance, IMO.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

oldbike54

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 07:11:50 PM »
 Damn , mogul skiing has got to hard on the knees  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 08:46:41 PM »
Love LAWES from the Canadian Mixed-Doubles Curling.  She doesn't weight a whole lot more than the stone she's trying to throw!

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

I vote for Eve Muirhead, women's curling team, Great Britain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RraHQkUi_8

Rich A
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:51:42 AM by Rich A »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 06:53:52 AM »
May be a relative of my wife. She has Scottish roots and her maiden name was Muirhead.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
 The American did beautifully in the women's figure skating but the Russian girl was flawless.
 The married American couple were excellent in their performance too. The Canadian couple
 were dynamic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:43:22 AM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »
Tuesday week - 4 man bobsleigh - can't wait!!!
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
Chris Mazder, first ever USA luge medalist with a silver in singles luge, graduated high school with my youngest daughter. His father, a local Nuerologist diagnosed my Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. Real nice small town folks! Very cool stuff around here being close to Lake Placid. Billy Demong also a local past medalist in Biathlon. His mother was my youngest daughter�s concert chorus teacher that took their group to Italy to sing. Go USA!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:58:49 PM by Adk.IBO »
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here