Author Topic: Cannonball run  (Read 12955 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Cannonball run
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
Dorcia bought me an early birthday present..
2018-03-01_08-56-40 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
When I told her about the Cannonball run. http://motorcyclecannonball.com/
Open to '29 and earlier bikes. When I said I'd love to do that.. naturally for Dorcia..she said, "Why don't you?"  :smiley: I mentioned that a bike, even a project that old, would be expensive. She said, "Why not buy it, do whatever is necessary to make it reliable, do the Cannonball, and sell it?"
Hmmm. Never thought of that.
How much money are we talking about? I know nothing about antique motorcycle values..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

Re: Cannonball run
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:23:58 AM »
 A guy I know is prepping a 1928 Ariel for the Cannonball...He says $25000 for a bike and prep work is the norm....What's hanging on your wall is a bit less expensive  :grin:

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:33:13 AM »
Some discussion on the subject over on ADV Rider a while back:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/finding-a-cannonball-bike.1267991/
Charlie

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »
Cool wall art Chuck, and what kind of bike will you be getting then?! :grin:

We need to find you a C4V. ;)

http://www.mcnews.com.au/moto-guzzi-c4v-racer-phil-aynsley/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:01:54 AM »
I rode to Cape Girardeau,Mo.to see the last Cannonball,timed it perfect to see the bikes chudder and chuff into town! It started to rain so I stopped into a bar and it was the place having the dinner for the riders. People from all over the world were there,I bought some beers for a couple of guys from Germany,had a great time listening to road stories! Our own Guzzi Doctor,Joe Walano was wrench on a 1913 Indian! It is epic insanity to beat these old crocks across the continent... They will be coming thru northern Illinois this time,hope to see them again!
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:18:59 AM »
I rode to Cape Girardeau,Mo.to see the last Cannonball,timed it perfect to see the bikes chudder and chuff into town! It started to rain so I stopped into a bar and it was the place having the dinner for the riders. People from all over the world were there,I bought some beers for a couple of guys from Germany,had a great time listening to road stories! Our own Guzzi Doctor,Joe Walano was wrench on a 1913 Indian! It is epic insanity to beat these old crocks across the continent... They will be coming thru northern Illinois this time,hope to see them again!

Epic insanity??  :smiley: Uh, yeah.. I know that, but I'm an antiquer. I've flown antique airplanes all over the midwest.. so an antique motorsickle don't scare me none.  :grin: :boozing:
Yeah, the stop in northern Illi noise is on our schedule. I would think that it might get a little cold in September taking the northern route.. hope their electric gear :rolleyes: works.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
Chuck,

I'd check with the sanctioning people.  I know one fellow that's done it here in OKC and talked to the guy that was entered from the OZ museum in Wichita.  I think the entry spots (100 entrants) fill up pretty quickly and past participants are given preference. 

So far as expense goes, the bike, spares, support, travel and entry.  I think that some of the guys share the cost of a chase vehicle.  My guess is that $20k would be a minimum but I have no idea what it might cost to acquire a bike and spares.  I am sure you would save a lot of the build up costs.

The bikes are pre-1929.  I think that would include flathead V-twin Indians and Harleys?  If so, it would make the rally a little safer and stable.  I get concerned when I see guys trying to run 40+ mph on those spindly singles with belt drive "faith-based" brakes.

Good luck. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »
I'd like to do that, maybe I can trade my '36 HD and some coin for an old gezzer that would qualify, not particular to the brand.
It would have to be up to the task as I have no time to restore.

What are the dates, yearly?

:-)

Participants for 2018 are already "locked in", so it would have to be September 2020 now.

http://motorcyclecannonball.com/details/
Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 11:07:37 AM »
Some discussion on the subject over on ADV Rider a while back:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/finding-a-cannonball-bike.1267991/

Good info there.. thanks, Charlie.
Unfortunately, the big swap meet in Wauseon Oh is during Oshkosh, and we have already made plans to take the grandkids there. So many things to do, so little time..
I'd look good on a Henderson 4.. but I'd think a simple single cylinder bike would have less stuff to break. I'll have to ask SED about that.  :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 11:14:19 AM »
How about a steam motorcycle?
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »
The age requirement for the bikes varies from one event to the next.  Several threads on ADVrider about the event and by participants.  This one gives a lot of insight into what it took to do the run last time on a 1916 Indian Power Plus, and what he's doing to it now to get it ready for this year.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/powerplus-or-bust-eh.996958/

Doug Wothke (rtwdoug on ADV) has done it a couple times on two different bikes.  First time was an Indian Scout and the last one was another 1916 Power Plus.  He has a long running thread on ADV that the Cannonball info is buried in.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/dickin-around-in-dougs-garage.516355/

Very different approaches to the prep between these two guys.

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 11:50:44 AM »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
I bet there is a nice $$$ difference between those two.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »
Cool wall art Chuck, and what kind of bike will you be getting then?! :grin:

We need to find you a C4V. ;)

http://www.mcnews.com.au/moto-guzzi-c4v-racer-phil-aynsley/

That is a beautiful work of art...and a true mechanical masterpiece!! :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :1:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 04:23:39 PM »
here's a couple Guzzi's, make it just under the wire, for sale. They're in Germany, but, so?

https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/motorcycle/listing/moto-guzzi/sport-500/1929/121399

https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/motorcycle/listing/moto-guzzi/sport-14/1929/107229

Crap. Doing some more research.. it looks like the cutoff date is 1928. Both are 29s. Pfffft. A Guzzi single would putt across the country without raising a sweat.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 04:59:55 PM »
The Guzzi Doctor can tell you all about it, he's a wrench for one of the riders. I met him on the way across rt 66 here in Springfield. I had him lay hands upon the CX, the thing has run like a scalded dawg since then.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 07:12:18 PM »
Crap. Doing some more research.. it looks like the cutoff date is 1928. Both are 29s. Pfffft. A Guzzi single would putt across the country without raising a sweat.  :smiley:

Well, maybe it would, but then it wouldn't cost $30K to run in the event!

Suppose $30K is the amount.   I really suspect that you would NOT have to come up with a check for that amount.

You'd have to come up with the bike, and get it running, but imagine how much help you would have in actually running the event.   The people who are doing estimates are bound to be figuring mileage, paying folks to run parts and run sag wagons, etc.    People on this list would take care of much of that FOR you, on their own nickel, just to be part of the party.

I mean, think about it.    You purchase a mid-20's bike of your choice, maybe a Harley or Indian PowerPlus or a BSA flat-tanker or (just to show the flag) a Guzzi.    You've bought old machines before, and used your mechanical ability to fix them up, make parts for them if necessary, make whatever upgrades and improvements the rules allow.   

THAT'S not an expense for you, it's part of your hobby; you'd either spend the money ANYWAY on some old bike, or some old airplane,  and when you're done, the bike either gets sold for what you bought it for or more, so no dead cost there.

Then there's the expense of running the event.   How bad can that be?   I mean Fay and I are planning to be 5 weeks on the road on a motorcycle this fall, staying in hotels every night, buying gas, buying at least one tire in the middle, and the budget will be $6,000 or so.   

For 2020, instead of doing something like that, I (or any of another 50 guys on this list) would be happy to bring our own vehicle and trailer and contribute tools and fuel and pay our own room and board and gas, and follow along for the duration of the event as a support vehicle; it'd be the most fun we could have with our clothes on!

So it sound like to ME that all the huge "COST" of the event is stuff that we do anyhow, buying bikes and fixing them up and touring the country, and nobody hardly even knows we're doing it.   It would be twice as worthwhile to do all that as part of a team running the Cannonball!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 07:36:34 PM »
There is a scooter Cannonball, starts end of May, with a wide range of entrants. A vintage scooter would be a good starter if you want to get a running um, start for the 2020 event.

I have a friend running in it, I am tentatively going to meet him somewhere and trail along.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 07:59:28 PM »
I like the way you're thinking, Lannis.. Team Wildguzzi.  :smiley: It would have to be a Guzzi for that to work, though..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 08:36:56 PM »
I like the way you're thinking, Lannis.. Team Wildguzzi.  :smiley: It would have to be a Guzzi for that to work, though..

So, it's that simple. You get the Guzzi, Chuck. Count me in for the crew.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 09:39:35 PM »
Party on Garth.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 09:44:35 PM »
I crewed for Doug in 2014...a experience I'll never forget.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 10:20:39 PM »

That would certainly be a starting position, depending on the availability of '22 - '28 Guzzis.

On the other hand, "Wild Guzzi" is more of a state of mind than anything else; a lot of folks here don't have a Guzzi, and many of those of us that do spend half our road miles riding something else, so if a qualifying Guzzi was a NG or would completely deplete Grandpa Rockefeller's trust fund, a more available or supportable bike would still work, maybe just not use "Guzzi" specifically in the team name.  Creativeness would be needed.   (If "Plug-Indian" can be invented, anything can ...).

I do know one thing from long and sad experience - ownership of the bike and parts has to be done by one guy.   "Joint ownership" of competition or rally or collector bikes for something like this most often ends in pain and heartache and hurt feelings and broken friendships.    People can help or contribute or support in many ways, but title in bikes and parts can't be shared, generally.   But specific jobs (refurbishment of subassemblies, service labor, provision of trucks and trailers, booking of lodging, supply of gas and oil, etc) can be taken on by responsible people who know what they're getting into and are committed to see it out, on schedule.

Just a thought!

Lannis

Offline dblue

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 10:59:15 PM »
Chuck,
I am working on a '24Henderson ,4cyl. fresh motor . I will see what he would take for it. new paint, gonna be nice.
Dave
David Blue
dfblue46@outlook.com
937-210-8721

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 04:40:47 AM »
Good info there.. thanks, Charlie....I'd look good on a Henderson 4.. but I'd think a simple single cylinder bike would have less stuff to break. I'll have to ask SED about that....

Chuck,

A couple of years ago Jim B. at Rose Farms was rebuilding two Hendersons (1934 models IIRC) for a customer.  The customer wanted to ride one of them via Route 66 to CA.  He wanted Jim to accompany him on the second bike, and be the mechanic if something went wrong during the ride.

I don't know how those rebuilds ever finished up.  Jim B. could tell you if you're interested.  However, a '34 bike might not be old enough to get into the Cannonball for the next few years.

Have a good day.

Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 05:41:02 AM »
Chuck,
I am working on a '24Henderson ,4cyl. fresh motor . I will see what he would take for it. new paint, gonna be nice.
Dave

Hi, Dave.. probably out of my price range if he is *paying* for a restoration.  :smiley: <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »
So, it's that simple. You get the Guzzi, Chuck. Count me in for the crew.

That would be a hoot, wouldn't it?  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 06:13:02 AM »
Well, maybe it would, but then it wouldn't cost $30K to run in the event!

Suppose $30K is the amount.   I really suspect that you would NOT have to come up with a check for that amount.

You'd have to come up with the bike, and get it running, but imagine how much help you would have in actually running the event.   The people who are doing estimates are bound to be figuring mileage, paying folks to run parts and run sag wagons, etc.    People on this list would take care of much of that FOR you, on their own nickel, just to be part of the party.

I mean, think about it.    You purchase a mid-20's bike of your choice, maybe a Harley or Indian PowerPlus or a BSA flat-tanker or (just to show the flag) a Guzzi.    You've bought old machines before, and used your mechanical ability to fix them up, make parts for them if necessary, make whatever upgrades and improvements the rules allow.   

THAT'S not an expense for you, it's part of your hobby; you'd either spend the money ANYWAY on some old bike, or some old airplane,  and when you're done, the bike either gets sold for what you bought it for or more, so no dead cost there.

Then there's the expense of running the event.   How bad can that be?   I mean Fay and I are planning to be 5 weeks on the road on a motorcycle this fall, staying in hotels every night, buying gas, buying at least one tire in the middle, and the budget will be $6,000 or so.   

For 2020, instead of doing something like that, I (or any of another 50 guys on this list) would be happy to bring our own vehicle and trailer and contribute tools and fuel and pay our own room and board and gas, and follow along for the duration of the event as a support vehicle; it'd be the most fun we could have with our clothes on!

So it sound like to ME that all the huge "COST" of the event is stuff that we do anyhow, buying bikes and fixing them up and touring the country, and nobody hardly even knows we're doing it.   It would be twice as worthwhile to do all that as part of a team running the Cannonball!

Lannis

"Magnetoman" on Brit Bike is entering a 1928 Ariel and has a very detailed account of the event and costs....I believe he said typical cost excluding the bikes is about 4- 6 grand...Price out a 1920's bike if you didn't buy it 30 years ago and what it takes to make it reliable for the rally....You're easily pushing north of 30G's.....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:14:08 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »
  "Magnetoman" on Brit Bike is entering a 1928 Ariel and has a very detailed account of the event and costs....I believe he said typical cost excluding the bikes is about 4- 6 grand...Price out a 1920's bike if you didn't buy it 30 years ago and what it takes to make it reliable for the rally....You're easily pushing north of 30G's.....

Could be.   But for a man with "play money" sitting around in the shed in the form of former toys and projects representing assets, and who knows he would be building something that would retain its value, it's not "sunk" expense to get into one ... just the temporary use of the funds.

Lannis

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
Could be.   But for a man with "play money" sitting around in the shed in the form of former toys and projects representing assets, and who knows he would be building something that would retain its value, it's not "sunk" expense to get into one ... just the temporary use of the funds.

Lannis

I'm not saying it's a waste of money.. but it ain't entry level.....My race bike partner has spend about 25 grand on the two race bikes plus whatever spent getting to the track...I have "donated" over 2000 hours labor...all for a piece of paper.....But the experience and bragging rights is priceless....I assume the Cannonball is the same...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here