Author Topic: 8000 mile ride planned  (Read 13871 times)

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
8000 mile ride planned
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
Planning on taking my Griso and V7III on a 30 day ride from El Paso to Artic and back. Around 8000 miles. Doing full service and new tires, new NGK plug wires on Griso, change fuel filter on V7 for full metal one. May cheat and use ferry from Anchorage to Seattle on way home. Would like to do pictures of load out and feed back from this group will be apprieciated. Plan on leaving around June 15....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: 8000 mile ride planned
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
is someone else riding the second bike or is this a trailer trip?

Griso to the Arctic, definitely get pics!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:05:52 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
is someone else riding the second bike or is this a trailer trip?

Griso to the Arctic, definitely get pics!
My wife on 7

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
My wife on 7

No trailer queens on my trips! Lol

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:21:06 PM »
Ok thanks, I can now visualize such a trip, should be quite an adventure.. do you have windshields? rain gear, patch kits, mosquito repellent, flashlights, warm clothes and credit card?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »
It will be a great trip, you may need a fresh set of tires along the way, no trouble getting what you need in Vancouver but you may need to ship them ahead for further north although you could probably make do up and back. Perhaps just touch bases with a tire shop incase you need them to send some. Prince George might also carry the tires you need.

One thing I would carry is a spare wheel bearing of each size.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:30:19 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 10:32:48 PM »
Any thing's do able but I reckon on a Griso and V7 is a noteworthy effort !
The only thing I ride is a Norge so can't comment on an effort like that but hats off to you.
I have not done what you are doing but have done Calais, Nordkapp, Romania, Sibiu, Rome, Calais a few times and can attest to the issues encountered on a loop like that.
As mentioned, on a Norge it would not be as noteworthy as on a Griso/V7 but will be watching with envy.
Huzo.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:34:05 PM by Huzo »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 10:50:41 PM »
8,000 miles - a walk in the park - plenty of time to poke about & smell the roses.

Some kind of road side assist is often a good idea, just in case. A spare tube for the V7, a Stop 'N Go plug kit for the GRiSO & a small electric pump. You never can tell whether you are going to pick up a flat & when or if you do! It's usually in an inconvenient place.

Don't carry too much stuff - 30 - 40kg each should be plenty.

You are bound to have an absolute ball. Enjoy.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 10:56:10 PM »
With a little more research it will be a fun expedition.  Don't make assumptions about anything.  For example, I don't think even the Patriots could cheat enough to get a ferry from Anchorage to Seattle.  And don't limit your gear to some weight limit.  Limit it to what you need.  You'll have only your party to rely upon.  Anything useful you find along the way is random luck.

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »
8,000 miles - a walk in the park - plenty of time to poke about & smell the roses.

Some kind of road side assist is often a good idea, just in case. A spare tube for the V7, a Stop 'N Go plug kit for the GRiSO & a small electric pump. You never can tell whether you are going to pick up a flat & when or if you do! It's usually in an inconvenient place.

Don't carry too much stuff - 30 - 40kg each should be plenty.

You are bound to have an absolute ball. Enjoy.
Thanks I was going to run slime in v7 as well

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 11:02:55 PM »
With a little more research it will be a fun expedition.  Don't make assumptions about anything.  For example, I don't think even the Patriots could cheat enough to get a ferry from Anchorage to Seattle.  And don't limit your gear to some weight limit.  Limit it to what you need.  You'll have only your party to rely upon.  Anything useful you find along the way is random luck.
But there is a ferry! Lol $3000 for 2 bikes a cabin and shower

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 11:16:42 PM »
This is a great adventure.  Looking forward to your progress!  :popcorn:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 12:07:02 AM »
But there is a ferry! Lol $3000 for 2 bikes a cabin and shower

As a long time Alaska resident who's seen far too many poorly planned trips end in disaster or worse, it's my opinion that you need more planning and less LOL.  There is no ferry service between anywhere in Alaska and Seattle.  There is no ferry service between Anchorage and anywhere.  The southernmost port of the Alaska Marine Highway is Bellingham, WA.  You can eventually get to Homer, Whittier, and Chenega Bay from Bellingham, but not Anchorage.  Please do some reality-based research and planning.  Rescuing clueless, unprepared outsiders cuts into everyone's day, puts us in completely avoidable danger, and makes us grumpy.

Here's a good resource on the Alaska Marine Highway System.  Please take a look at the route maps.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/vessel_routes.shtml

You'll notice that Seattle and Anchorage are not mentioned.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 02:37:59 AM »
Extra fuel
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 02:49:55 AM »
My wife and I took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines en route to Anchorage , best ferry trip ever, think it goes to Vancouver on the way south? Anyhow it's not too onerous to ride it, roads in Canada are good. Alaskan roads can get interesting depending on the amount of winter damage.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 04:52:39 AM »
The modern alcan through Canada is really good.  Improvements and maintenance were made payable to the USA as part of the original right of way deal for the southern (current) route.  The northern route, via Dawson City and Chicken - Tok never got well developed, and is no longer considered strategically important. 

However, the northern route was the only route at first, because it was an established trade and stampeder trail and therefore easier to quickly improve for mechanized convoys.  The southern route, although shorter and more direct, required a full survey and build from scratch.  The two diverged at Whitehorse and rejoined just west of Tok, but the WH/ Tok part wasn't done before the highway opened.  In practical terms it's still being built.

The effect of US money backing the construction of the Canadian alcan is best seen in the newer, southern route.  The road through Kluanie/Destruction Bay and on to the border at Beaver Creek is into it's third improvement.  The Alaskan part from Beaver Creek to Tok has just had it's first paving, and has always been considered the worst 300 miles of the alcan.

The northern route remained important even after WH Tok opened.  If you've ever been on the Klondike Highway and we're looking closely, you noticed a LOT of semi-improved landing strips of unusual length, at least for being nowhere near an airport.  These were the relay bases for the lend-lease to Russia.  Truck convoys met aircraft and aircraft were refueled and loaded all along the way.  Temporary towns were erected to support the airstrps.  Some still survive.

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 06:11:33 AM »

As a long time Alaska resident who's seen far too many poorly planned trips end in disaster or worse, it's my opinion that you need more planning and less LOL.  There is no ferry service between anywhere in Alaska and Seattle.  There is no ferry service between Anchorage and anywhere.  The southernmost port of the Alaska Marine Highway is Bellingham, WA.  You can eventually get to Homer, Whittier, and Chenega Bay from Bellingham, but not Anchorage.  Please do some reality-based research and planning.  Rescuing clueless, unprepared outsiders cuts into everyone's day, puts us in completely avoidable danger, and makes us grumpy.

Here's a good resource on the Alaska Marine Highway System.  Please take a look at the route maps.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/vessel_routes.shtml

You'll notice that Seattle and Anchorage are not mentioned.
Your right I should have been more specific and said Homer. My bad...

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 06:14:34 AM »
Extra fuel
Will be carrying 3 gallons extra

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 06:36:57 AM »
Extra fuel

The Griso fuel range is minimal at best. The OP should plan on carrying 3 or 4 gallons of fuel with him and stopping every 120+/- miles to top up. This will protect the fuel pump by keeping fuel in the cell because inevitably there are going to be places where fuel stops are farther apart than the Griso range. It will also save a lot of pushing/walking.

Having had a Griso because of the fuel range I would even consider taking it on a trip like this. I'd have a bike with a fuel range of 250 miles and longer suspension and probably still carry and extra gallon just in case.

YMMV

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »
Planning on taking my Griso and V7III on a 30 day ride from El Paso to Artic and back. Around 8000 miles. Doing full service and new tires, new NGK plug wires on Griso, change fuel filter on V7 for full metal one. May cheat and use ferry from Anchorage to Seattle on way home. Would like to do pictures of load out and feed back from this group will be apprieciated. Plan on leaving around June 15....

Like the ol' Boy Scout motto states:  BE PREPARED...  :1: :thumb: :cool: :cool:  8,000 miles and 30 days ANYWHERE on a motorcycle is an adventure, and a once-in-a-lifetime experience!!  Go for it, and be safe! :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 09:32:20 AM »
 Take half as much stuff as you think you should , and twice as much money . What RK said is extremely valid , pre-planning is very important , but you aren't traveling the Road of Bones . Canadians are friendly and helpful , as are most Alaskans , just don't expect them to jump thru
hoops . They do appreciate an effort to be self sufficient , not unlike us folks in Oklahoma and Texas  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »
Start the trip on fresh tires that are capable of going the distance for both bikes. 

I would choose the Metzeler ME 880 radial for the Griso  (rear 170/60/17 REINFTL) as it's a good touring-oriented sport-touring tire that could make the whole trip, with tread to spare.  I used to use them on my V11 LeMans for touring duty.

front:
https://www.americanmototire.com/street-cruiser-touring/metzeler-me880-marathon-120-70r-17-58v-front-motorcycle-tires.html

rear:
https://www.americanmototire.com/street-cruiser-touring/metzeler-me880-marathon-170-60r-17-78v-rear-motorcycle-tires.html

Nothing worse than hassling with finding tires and someone to change them North of the 49th Parallel.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:33:10 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
Note to self from my Alaska trip: Figure out where you want to get gas, and get gas at the place before that. (I expected to get gas in Paxson and arrived there with the low fuel light on. They were out of gas, next delivery tomorrow, maybe. I was lucky; there was gas 20 miles down the Denali Hwy at a resort, the direction I was planning on going. Double lucky - I took is easy and got there with fumes in the tank. I put 3.4 gallons in a "3.6 gal" tank.)

I had the biggest Jesse panniers on the F800GS. Mistake - I was carrying too much stuff.
Be aware: 18" front tire for V7 may be hard to come by.
Add to list: mosquito proof head cover. Wrist watch with lighted dial so you can check the time in the morning and an alarm - set to 10pm as a reminder to go to sleep. Sleep mask.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 10:42:12 AM »
 Read *One Man Caravan* , R.E. Fulton rode around the world in '32 and '33 . Most of the philosophy and methodology he employed are still valid , plus it is an excellent read .

Dusty

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »
Take half as much stuff as you think you should , and twice as much money . What RK said is extremely valid , pre-planning is very important , but you aren't traveling the Road of Bones . Canadians are friendly and helpful , as are most Alaskans , just don't expect them to jump thru
hoops . They do appreciate an effort to be self sufficient , not unlike us folks in Oklahoma and Texas  [emoji23]

Dusty
Thanks I have planned it out just was speaking in general without thinking. My son was living in Fairbanks and has helped a lot. Will show pics of load out to try and cover the bases. Coming soon

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »
Start the trip on fresh tires that are capable of going the distance for both bikes. 

I would choose the Metzeler ME 880 radial for the Griso  (rear 170/60/17 REINFTL) as it's a good touring-oriented sport-touring tire that could make the whole trip, with tread to spare.  I used to use them on my V11 LeMans for touring duty.

front:
https://www.americanmototire.com/street-cruiser-touring/metzeler-me880-marathon-120-70r-17-58v-front-motorcycle-tires.html

rear:
https://www.americanmototire.com/street-cruiser-touring/metzeler-me880-marathon-170-60r-17-78v-rear-motorcycle-tires.html

Nothing worse than hassling with finding tires and someone to change them North of the 49th Parallel.
Thanks

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »
Read *One Man Caravan* , R.E. Fulton rode around the world in '32 and '33 . Most of the philosophy and methodology he employed are still valid , plus it is an excellent read .

Dusty
Will do, love to read....

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
Note to self from my Alaska trip: Figure out where you want to get gas, and get gas at the place before that. (I expected to get gas in Paxson and arrived there with the low fuel light on. They were out of gas, next delivery tomorrow, maybe. I was lucky; there was gas 20 miles down the Denali Hwy at a resort, the direction I was planning on going. Double lucky - I took is easy and got there with fumes in the tank. I put 3.4 gallons in a "3.6 gal" tank.)

I had the biggest Jesse panniers on the F800GS. Mistake - I was carrying too much stuff.
Be aware: 18" front tire for V7 may be hard to come by.
Add to list: mosquito proof head cover. Wrist watch with lighted dial so you can check the time in the morning and an alarm - set to 10pm as a reminder to go to sleep. Sleep mask.
Thanks,need to get the hat and mask

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »
Like the ol' Boy Scout motto states:  BE PREPARED...  :1: :thumb: :cool: :cool:  8,000 miles and 30 days ANYWHERE on a motorcycle is an adventure, and a once-in-a-lifetime experience!!  Go for it, and be safe! :cool:
Yes sir, reason for this post

canuck750

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »
I have put my motorcycle on the Alaska State Ferry from Skagway Alaska to Prince Rupert B.C., fantastic ferry ride down the inside passage. I bought a room for my wife and I but in retrospect I should have taken the advice of my local friends in Whitehorse and set up a tent on the deck like most of the other motorcycle travellers. If a tent is not your ting then try and be one of  the first on board and grab a lounge chair under the glass solarium, there are infrared heaters to keep you warm on cool nights. This summer I plan on taking the ferry again this time north, probably boarding at Prince Rupert again.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here