Author Topic: 8000 mile ride planned  (Read 12515 times)

oldbike54

Re: 8000 mile ride planned
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
 No matter what happens , remember to have fun. Sounds easy , but so many forget the main reason for adventure .

Oh , and take pictures and keep a daily diary , one of my all time favorite threads on WG was Dilligaf's Alaska adventure . He understood the difference twixt riding thru a place and not riding "in" a place .

Dusty

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 12:29:46 PM »
No matter what happens , remember to have fun. Sounds easy , but so many forget the main reason for adventure .

Oh , and take pictures and keep a daily diary , one of my all time favorite threads on WG was Dilligaf's Alaska adventure . He understood the difference twixt riding thru a place and not riding "in" a place .

Dusty
Fantastic advice, hope I won't bore you

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 12:33:38 PM »
+1 on the mosquito hat.  They make a big difference in personal comfort.  There are a lot of styles out there.  I prefer a full-brimmed one because it keeps the mesh away from my face even in a little wind.  Skeeters can't get through the mesh, but they can bite through the mesh.  I have a roll-up one that goes on as soon as the helmet comes off.

Don't forget a camera.  If you use an SLR, both a tele and wide lens are a must!

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »
...one of my all time favorite threads on WG was Dilligaf's Alaska adventure . He understood the difference twixt riding thru a place and not riding "in" a place .  Dusty

Hey Dusty...was the main difference the fact that he was eating a Twix Chocolate bar at the same time?  :)

For those folks who are annoyed at rescuing unprepared people,  don't bother participating in the rescue "effort"...and save yourself the heartache then.  And if someone is unprepared, then let them pay the consequences, whatever they might be or let them be grateful for the rescue and show their appreciation, no matter how unprepared they are, but it's not like you have to be a "father" to every hapless traveler who ventures into your territory and save them from themselves.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 12:54:53 PM »
Fantastic advice, hope I won't bore you

Little chance of that happening , we have enjoyed your local ride reports .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
Hey Dusty...was the main difference the fact that he was eating a Twix Chocolate bar at the same time?  :)

For those folks who are annoyed at rescuing unprepared people,  don't bother participating in the rescue "effort"...and save yourself the heartache then.  And if someone is unprepared, then let them pay the consequences, whatever they might be or let them be grateful for the rescue and show their appreciation, no matter how unprepared they are, but it's not like you have to be a "father" to every hapless traveler who ventures into your territory and save them from themselves.

. . . . or that "hapless traveler" could turn off the reality tv, put on his big boy pants, and do his homework beforehand, avoiding the drama altogether.  See how much easier that is on everyone else?

If the SAR and Coast Guard had some way of knowing the subject of their search was an unprepared, thrill-seeking jackass, they might have a protocol for not putting themselves in harm's way to rescue him.  The assumption however is that people were doing it right when shit happened anyway.  Fun facts:  If the subject was unprepared and not doing it right, and if he survives, he's charged for the rescue.  If he doesn't survive, his estate is charged.  If a rescuer dies in the operation and the subject is determined to have been negligent in his preparations, he can be charged with the death.

I applaud the OP for having this discussion pre-trip.  He's making an effort to get prepared.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2018, 03:01:19 PM »
So you�re the spokesperson for all of Alaska�s search and rescue teams, Coast Guard and others then?

The comment about �makes us grumpy, cuts into our day...�... cuts a wide swath.

If you�re not part of those groups who have signed up for that work, it�s hardly appropriate.  For those involved in Search and Rescue...it is their day job, so it's hardly cutting into their day.  And since they signed up for that work, who knows if they are grumpy or not.

If you're not part of that group, and you choose to volunteer...then you can't complain. If you don't want to be grumpy or have the rescue cut into your day...then don't volunteer to help. Simple.

And in another comment you say don�t expect help from anyone, be prepared to manage alone.

No one is saying not to be prepared, but who needs a lecture ?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:13:01 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 03:21:21 PM »
 Paul , I think RK still considers himself to be an Alaskan in spirit , like someone from Texas or Oklahoma displaced to Connecticut for reasons not of their choosing might still identify with Texas or Oklahoma , thus the use of "we" . Couple that with the fact that he participated in some S&R gives him some insight into the way things work in Alaska . Because of the vast spaces of empty in Alaska, and the ever changing weather , a stranded traveler presents a different challenge than one stranded in the Cedar Vale area .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
So you�re the spokesperson for all of Alaska�s search and rescue teams, Coast Guard and others then?

If you�re not part of those groups who have signed up for that work, it�s hardly appropriate.  For those involved in Search and Rescue...it is their day job, so it's hardly cutting into their day.  And since they signed up for that work, who knows if they are grumpy or not.

If you're not part of that group, and you choose to volunteer...then you can't complain. If you don't want to be grumpy or have the rescue cut into your day...then don't volunteer to help. Simple.

And in another comment you say don�t expect help from anyone, be prepared to manage alone.

Well, I was an officer in the CAP for years, if that's "appropriate" enough for you.  I've turned out for many an emergency.  I've had my personal boat in the surf and my personal ass on the line hauling others to safety.  I've flown the search grids, followed the beacons, beat the brush, and found the lost.  I've seen my friends die, some needlessly.  Right now I'm a spokesman for common sense. 

SAR is not intended as a substitute for poor planning.  It is not a safety net for the unprepared thrill seeker.  Yes, it makes us grumpy and cuts into our day when some Disneyfied idiot thinks he can go dancing with the bears or thinks he can paddleboard across the gulf and it ends badly for him.  It makes us sad that animals must die because of human stupidity.  It makes us very sad that our neighbors must die because of human irresponsibility.  It makes us grumpy that these situations are largely avoidable and that people go out of their way to create them.  If you can find a SAR contingent that disagrees with me, please present it.  Otherwise, save your lecture.  You have zero understanding of the topic.

Can we get back to the thread now?

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 03:57:22 PM »
Again...missing the point.  If you volunteer...you can't complain.  Then don't volunteer...if it cuts into your day or makes you grumpy.

Talk about illogical, now back to the thread.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:58:34 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 04:02:41 PM »
  Mail tires to yourself in Whithorse :thumb:
  Mite be a little late in the year to start from there
   Don't get wet
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:04:55 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
Will do, love to read....

Fulton carried a pistol slipped under the skid plate "just in case", if you emulate him, make sure the Mounties don't see it ... !!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »
Again...missing the point.  If you volunteer...you can't complain.  Then don't volunteer...if it cuts into your day or makes you grumpy.

Talk about illogical, now back to the thread.

Not missing the point, just steering around the insults to first responders everywhere in the interest of not having the topic nuked.

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »
 OK fellas , we have a rally coming up very shortly , let's not poison the well . Agreed ?

Dusty

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 06:17:40 PM »
If you need any help in the Anchorage area give a shout. Or stop by for a Cider.
https://www.facebook.com/doubleshovelcidercompany/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:45:55 PM by Matteo »
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

elvisboy77

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 06:33:52 PM »
Will do, love to read....

Also read "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon.  I read it before my XC trip in 1986, on my 1984 V65SP Guzzi.  I hope you have as much fun on your trip as I did on mine! 

Offline Thunderbutt

• Hatchling
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »
Might I also suggest "Tiny Bike to Alaska" over on the Adventure Rider Forum.  A very interesting account of an individual who rode a 250cc bike up to the Arctic Circle.
His thread is very detailed in his preparation of his bike, camping gear, clothing and routes.
And his photography and videos are just breath taking.  Good luck with your trip.
Current rides: 2000 V-11 Sport-SOLD, 2003 Aprilia Mille Haga Replica #125, 1975 Triumph T160, 2002 LeMans, 2008 Norge aka the silver bullet

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
Also read "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon.  I read it before my XC trip in 1986, on my 1984 V65SP Guzzi.  I hope you have as much fun on your trip as I did on mine!
Thank you

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2018, 08:58:07 PM »
Fulton carried a pistol slipped under the skid plate "just in case", if you emulate him, make sure the Mounties don't see it ... !!

Lannis
Lol

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2018, 09:00:21 PM »
Well, I was an officer in the CAP for years, if that's "appropriate" enough for you.  I've turned out for many an emergency.  I've had my personal boat in the surf and my personal ass on the line hauling others to safety.  I've flown the search grids, followed the beacons, beat the brush, and found the lost.  I've seen my friends die, some needlessly.  Right now I'm a spokesman for common sense. 

SAR is not intended as a substitute for poor planning.  It is not a safety net for the unprepared thrill seeker.  Yes, it makes us grumpy and cuts into our day when some Disneyfied idiot thinks he can go dancing with the bears or thinks he can paddleboard across the gulf and it ends badly for him.  It makes us sad that animals must die because of human stupidity.  It makes us very sad that our neighbors must die because of human irresponsibility.  It makes us grumpy that these situations are largely avoidable and that people go out of their way to create them.  If you can find a SAR contingent that disagrees with me, please present it.  Otherwise, save your lecture.  You have zero understanding of the topic.

Can we get back to the thread now?
Thank you for your service, promise I am planning like mad. Prior paratrooper don't take you lightly

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »

Thanks for your service

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »
1st snafu, sleeping bags don't compress enough for a 30L bag. Time to find a larger bag.
List of tools and equipment
Extra tubes and tire irons
Wrenchs 8mm through 17mm
T handle wrenches
14 maps and GPS
Spot
1 tent, waterproofed and seams sealed
0*F sleeping bag
Air pump, plugs, slime
2 hatchet
2 adjustable wrenches
Heated grips
2 knives
Jet boil
8x8 trap
Para cord
Water proof gloves
2 flashlights
Charging ports on bikes
Center stand on V7
5 gallons of fuel extra
Rainsuits
Heated vests
3 days clothes
Shower shoes towel
Go pro, phone 2 more cameras
Correct saddlebags and tail bag
Tank bag
Bug juice
Camelback
Waterproof boots
Running shoes
Lighter
Riding jacket, pants, gloves
Comms for helmet
Any thing I've missed?
Gallons of bear spray!!!!lol

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2018, 09:41:45 PM »
1st snafu, sleeping bags don't compress enough for a 30L bag. Time to find a larger bag.

Why are you putting a sleeping bag into a 30L pannier?  Why not strap it on the seat behind you?

Sounds like you may need to look at a more high-tech compact sleeping bag.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2018, 09:52:31 PM »
List of tools and equipment
Extra tubes and tire irons
Wrenchs 8mm through 17mm
T handle wrenches
14 maps and GPS
Spot
1 tent, waterproofed and seams sealed
0*F sleeping bag
Air pump, plugs, slime
2 hatchet
2 adjustable wrenches
Heated grips
2 knives
Jet boil
8x8 trap
Para cord
Water proof gloves
2 flashlights
Charging ports on bikes
Center stand on V7
5 gallons of fuel extra
Rainsuits
Heated vests
3 days clothes
Shower shoes towel
Go pro, phone 2 more cameras
Correct saddlebags and tail bag
Tank bag
Bug juice
Camelback
Waterproof boots
Running shoes
Lighter
Riding jacket, pants, gloves
Comms for helmet
Any thing I've missed?
Gallons of bear spray!!!!lol

Looks like a pretty good list but I hope you do some "mocking up" of your loading plan real soon; I'm trying to visualize how you're going to get all that on two bikes, especially two bikes that aren't built as touring mules, and you have to "catch as can" on luggage and bags.

You DO want to be prepared, but you don't want to be miserable, breaking spokes and falling over with an overloaded bike, either.   

Sounds like it'll be fun.  Fay and I are planning a 6000 mile trip for later this year, but it'll be on a big tourer (either the Stelvio or the Triumph) and we won't be camping, so all our stuff will go in the bags and top box on one bike ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2018, 11:08:01 PM »
One way to save weight is to carry less extra fuel and flip a coin to see who gets to rescue who.  My kid and I used to do that when we knew at the last gas stop that the next one was out-of-range.

Too many shoes!  You need waterproof riding boots and camp shoes.  Lose a hatchet, add two bug hats.  Don't go to Canada with bear spray.  Be sure you've specifically got the right tools to remove a wheel from the bike and the tube from the wheel.  If not sure, do a tire change and throw all the tools you used into the ditty bag.  If you and your wife are friends, you don't need two 0 bags in the summer.  Distributing that load across two bikes shouldn't be too difficult. 

I carry the heavy stuff like tools and cooking gear in the side bags and the light, bulky stuff like sleeping bags, tents, and woolies in a dive bag slung across the pillion seat and sidebag lids.  I avoid tail bags that extend past the back of the rear fender, and think they're limiting in any position.  Since you're both riding solo, moving tail boxes over the pillion area instead of behind it could be a good thing for weight and balance.  A waterproof duffel is an even better use of the space. 

Here's what a month's gear looks like for me:

Note where I carry my extra gas.  There are 6 extra liters on each passenger peg.  I've used them all.

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2018, 11:15:40 PM »
One way to save weight is to carry less extra fuel and flip a coin to see who gets to rescue who.  My kid and I used to do that when we knew at the last gas stop that the next one was out-of-range.

Too many shoes!  You need waterproof riding boots and camp shoes.  Lose a hatchet, add two bug hats.  Don't go to Canada with bear spray.  Be sure you've specifically got the right tools to remove a wheel from the bike and the tube from the wheel.  If not sure, do a tire change and throw all the tools you used into the ditty bag.  If you and your wife are friends, you don't need two 0 bags in the summer.  Distributing that load across two bikes shouldn't be too difficult. 

I carry the heavy stuff like tools and cooking gear in the side bags and the light, bulky stuff like sleeping bags, tents, and woolies in a dive bag slung across the pillion seat and sidebag lids.  I avoid tail bags that extend past the back of the rear fender, and think they're limiting in any position.  Since you're both riding solo, moving tail boxes over the pillion area instead of behind it could be a good thing for weight and balance.  A waterproof duffel is an even better use of the space. 

Here's what a month's gear looks like for me:

Note where I carry my extra gas.  There are 6 extra liters on each passenger peg.  I've used them all.
Thanks and that's about what my load out should look like x2

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2018, 11:16:53 PM »
Looks like a pretty good list but I hope you do some "mocking up" of your loading plan real soon; I'm trying to visualize how you're going to get all that on two bikes, especially two bikes that aren't built as touring mules, and you have to "catch as can" on luggage and bags.

You DO want to be prepared, but you don't want to be miserable, breaking spokes and falling over with an overloaded bike, either.   

Sounds like it'll be fun.  Fay and I are planning a 6000 mile trip for later this year, but it'll be on a big tourer (either the Stelvio or the Triumph) and we won't be camping, so all our stuff will go in the bags and top box on one bike ....

Lannis
Thanks trying a dry run in a few weeks with all gear and see...

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 11:40:35 PM »
Having never crossed the Arctic Circle in Alaska, I'm given to wonder, is it more arduous than crossing and continuing a few hundred k's further on when in Europe ?
Are the "roads" less developed ?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:46:23 PM by Huzo »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2018, 02:16:16 AM »
Huzo, look up "Dalton Highway".  That's the Alaska land route past the circle.  It's like 400 miles of bad road, likely carrying lively convoy traffic, mosquitos, and either mud or a chemical-laden dust.  It's only there to serve the oil fields on the north slope.  The last time I tried it I was turned back by the large game emerging from thick smoke as they used the roadbed to flee wildfires.  Other times it has been impassible due to flooding.  You just never know.  In the region, Canada does it better, with the Dempster Highway into the NW Territories.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2018, 07:45:52 AM »
Having never crossed the Arctic Circle in Alaska, I'm given to wonder, is it more arduous than crossing and continuing a few hundred k's further on when in Europe ?
Are the "roads" less developed ?

Dalton Highway:

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here