Author Topic: 8000 mile ride planned  (Read 13870 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 8000 mile ride planned
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 07:52:31 AM »
Dalton Highway:

Depending on the weather, hundreds of miles of this slick greasy slop, twitching to catch a slide every few feet, is why I would never take a tall heavy bike up that road .... !

There's all kind of different standards as to "readiness" and "needs" for a trip.  Very many brisk young bucks have strapped a small duffle and a 2 gallon jerry can to their XL250 or whatever, no phone or anything, a few tools, and just take off.   The consequences of a failure just weren't a big deal to us when we were young.   Our standards change ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »
It's a 'northern' thread so I'm sticking my nose in. And, please contact me when you pass through Whitehorse.
Are you planning to: camp and cook, tent and restaurant, hotel and tent-when-necessary?
It would affect my choices in gear.
I don't see a Thermarest on your list. Cold on the ground without insulation under your sleeping bag.
0 F. is about -17C.  That's a pretty warm bag (read:big). I'd look at -7 C. in good compressible down bag.
One hatchet is more than enough. Fiskars makes a nice light unit. (learn to build a Swedish fire log).
Two flashlights; a bit redundant up here at that time of year.
For your shower towel buy a high absorbency microfibre camp towel. They dry really quickly.
If your 'tarp' is a plastic variety you'll do better and save packed space with a much larger nylon kitchen fly.
8x8 isn't much coverage. Barely does a decent job of covering a picnic table.
I didn't notice a water filter on your list. 
Plan your fuel range for 500km between open gas stations as a worst case scenario.
And if you are running some odd-ball oil, you won't likely find it here. 
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

bobrebos

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2018, 09:21:15 AM »
It's a 'northern' thread so I'm sticking my nose in. And, please contact me when you pass through Whitehorse.
Are you planning to: camp and cook, tent and restaurant, hotel and tent-when-necessary?
I don't see a Thermarest on your list. Cold on the ground without insulation under your sleeping bag.
0 F. is about -17C.  That's a pretty warm bag (read:big). I'd look at -7 C. in good compressible down bag.
One hatchet is more than enough. Fiskars makes a nice light unit. (learn to build a Swedish fire log).
For your shower towel buy a high absorbency microfibre camp towel. They dry really quickly.
If your 'tarp' is a plastic variety you'll do better and save packed space with a much larger nylon kitchen fly.
Plan your fuel range for 500km between open gas stations as a worst case scenario.

Great suggestions and I will use them on My Deadhorse trip.  Thanks....

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »
Thank you,  yes we are planning on going through your area, so we will contact you. We are planning a combo of camping, motels, eating out, light cooking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »
No water filter, will get one. We have pads for underbags just didn't list them. The tarp is for under tent. If weather is crap we will grab rooms

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2018, 12:49:05 PM »
When is this planned for?  Specifically?

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »
When is this planned for?  Specifically?
Leaving Mexico border June 15, figure 7-8 days to AK

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
If you're not on a schedule to be anywhere, you might consider the Dust to Dawson rally in Dawson City, which happens over the solstice.  The party is all night, since who can tell?

You'll be in midnight sun, but there's a real good chance for lots of rain.  Yeah, I'd plan for rain more than severe cold.  Rain and mosquitos.  There's no way to describe the bugs in June.  You have to experience them.

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2018, 01:40:11 PM »
Here's a good depiction of blackflies. Hoards of mozzies have the same effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc

If you come through the BC Interior and through Falkland, drop bye (only some mosquitos in June, here).

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »
If you're not on a schedule to be anywhere, you might consider the Dust to Dawson rally in Dawson City, which happens over the solstice.  The party is all night, since who can tell?

You'll be in midnight sun, but there's a real good chance for lots of rain.  Yeah, I'd plan for rain more than severe cold.  Rain and mosquitos.  There's no way to describe the bugs in June.  You have to experience them.
Lol that's what I've heard

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »

On the way to Dawson City with Rodekyll, boy he know his way with a camera!
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »
We ran into these guys at Denali a couple of years ago. They were on their way to Prudhoe Bay. They had ridden the whole way (Darien Gap excepted) including sidetrips in the lower 48.

Pete

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:36:29 PM by PeteS »

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
I'll throw in a list which I used at Trans Labrador highway and will use again this summer.
Needless to say, some pack one credit card and jeans. I don't.

I pack relatively heavy and camp as often as possible. Swim in rivers and eat on side of the road. If I find a hotel and stink bad, I'll take it.
I have the tools I need, will practice flat repairs by taking off both wheels and installing new tires before the trip. In case I screw up something, I usually have a way of getting back on road.
Unless its a complete mess. I have also extra Desert Fox 5lt fuel cell and two 30 oz bottles. Just in case. You will not find me stranded on side of the road without fuel. I need to rely on myself to get my poor ass out of crappy situation in Alaska or deserted roads. You should too, Alaska is not Alabama.

Here's my list, hope you find it helpful and it will trigger a conversation of what's needed and what's not. Its strapped on Stelvio.

Bike Gear   
   Armored Trousers (waterproof)
   Armored Jacket (waterproof)
   Gloves
   Rain Gloves
        (or dish washing rubber gloves, it hurts like hell when you ride 12 hours in rain and its 40 degrees....)
   Boots (waterproof with good impact protection)
   Helmet
   Pinlock Visor or extra visor
   SenaV10S to talk to your buddy
   Rain gear (pants and jacket)
   Sun Glasses
   Driving Glasses (I'm old, I need these to spot a moose...)
   Baclava, to block wind and waterproof
   Bungee cords
   Cargo Net
   First Aid Kit, includes Sam Splint
   Tank bag (large)
   Tow strap
   Small waterproof bags (to put electronics inside tankbag)
   Two Wolfman waterproof duffel bags, one for camping gear, one for clothes.

Personal Clothes   
   Jeans
   T-Shirts (short and long sleeved)
   Sweater
   Shorts
   Thermals (top+bottom)
   Underwear
   Socks
   Light jacket (rainproof)
   Walking Shoes
   Sandals
   Hat (1 Warm, 1 protective)
   Swim wear
        Narrow Belt (works also as tourniquet...)

Camping gear   
   Tent (I use 2 man tent with small vestibule for myself and gear)
   Tent footprint
   Sleeping pad, insulated
   Sleeping bag
   Sleeping bag liner for extra cold nights or extra hot nights when I don't need the bag)
   inflatable Pillow
   12"x12" REI Tarp and 2 poles
   Headlight with strap
   Bear can for food (better have this one...)
   Bear pepper spray (yes, it is fully legal in Canada)
   Hunting knife
   Small Ax (to make fire in woods)
   Foldable saw (to make fire in woods)
   Small Shovel (to clean and clear campsite)
   Ziplock bags
   Food (dried, cans, beef jerky, etc...)
   40 oz aluminum Water bottle (usually strapped on my cargo net.)
   Water bag 6lt (to cook and drink, in case I'm stuck few days somewhere...)
   Bug Spray and bug hat (black flies will bite a chunk off your face and fly to nearest tree to munch it...) Nasty little things....
   Helinox or other foldable camping chair
   Rope and thin rope (large for anything I need it for, pulling bike off ditch? thin rope for camping needs...
   Small Camping Light (mainly for cooking or inside tent)
   Matches and lighters
   Jetboil Stove with accessories
   Jetboil fuel cans (3)
   Can opener
   Condiments and spices
   Toilet paper
   Cooking pan
   Chopping board (I like to cook well on the road, potatoes, onions, eggs and other stuff stays in good shape fee days...)
   Steel plates, fork/knife/spoon and coffee mug
   Trash bag
   Coffee
   Rechargeable flashlight
   Compass

Personal Care   
   Toothpaste
   Toothbrush
   Dental Floss (you can do a lot with this...)
   Chap stick
   Shower Gel (small, works as shampoo too)
   Reading glasses
   Deodorant, in case I see people?
   Earplugs
   Wet Wipes
   Microfiber Towel
   Sun Screen 30x (small)
   Medicine (antihistamine, Ibuprofein)
   Comb
   Eye Drops

Documentation   
   Passport
   Drivers license
   MGNOG Assist List
   Cash
   Credit Cards
   Insurance and Registration papers
   Map
   Keys & Spares
   Paper, Sharpie and ballpoint pen

Electronics   
   Camera, Case & Charger
   Mobile Phone & Charger
   Garmin CSX60 with Topo maps (yes, I always take the stupid side roads with silly elevation, thats why...)
   Garmin Zumo with standard map
   Spot3, Lithium AAA batteries (for the BIG mistakes. Its trapped on me, not on my bike, In case we are separated in crash)
   GoPro, batteries, charger, GoPro stick

Mechanical   
   Leatherman Tool
   Toolkit (all the stuff I need for Stelvio only. Check all nuts and sizes, so I have what is needed, not what a bag manufacturer thinks I need.....)
   Zip ties (extra large and long ones. Very handy when crap happens)
   Tire patch kit
   Duct Tape, not in roll, but folded, takes less space....
   Microfiber rag to clean visors
   Full set of spare light bulbs and fuses
   Spare Keys duct taped on bike. Just in case..)
   Extra clutch and brake levers (for the big fuckups)
   1lt Agip 10-60W Oil
   Tire change tools
   Superglue and JB Weld for anything I cannot fix,
   Few Spare parts, plugs, boots, nuts, bolts
   Tire pressure gauge
   Steel wire for anything I cannot fix properly....
   Spare gear and foot brake lever

Have fun....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:31:47 PM by Green1000S »
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »

Have fun....

Great googly mooglies, what a load!   

After a wet day, that stuff probably fills a motel room 4 feet deep when you're trying to dry it out ...

Lannis

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2018, 06:33:21 PM »
Great googly mooglies, what a load!   

After a wet day, that stuff probably fills a motel room 4 feet deep when you're trying to dry it out ...

Lannis

Right... My buddy on vintage Beemer could not carry everything he needed, so I offered to take quite a bit of his stuff on my bike.
Sometimes you got to do what's right so you both have fun. He was crazy enough to follow me on Trans Labrador with a 1975 BMW R75/6, hahahaha...

Lauri
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:35:18 PM by Green1000S »
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
1968 Riverside MW 125

Ciao!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »
Same basic story with these guys, sponsor-riding for some German adventure TV show, doing some transcontinental thing.  They've just arrived at Skagway as I'm returning to my bike with the ferry paperwork completed.

They kept telling me my Convert was the wrong tool for the job all the way through Canada -- even though I only saw them in my rear view mirrors for three days.  I kept telling them that the ADV is what you do with the bike, not the bike itself.  You can see that they're a little disgusted that the ride was over and they'd been beat to every stop by an overloaded, 35 y-o, shiftless slab sled.  Their production crew thought it was funny.    :whip2:

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »
Same basic story with these guys, sponsor-riding for some German adventure TV show, doing some transcontinental thing.  They've just arrived at Skagway as I'm returning to my bike with the ferry paperwork completed.

They kept telling me my Convert was the wrong tool for the job all the way through Canada -- even though I only saw them in my rear view mirrors for three days.  I kept telling them that the ADV is what you do with the bike, not the bike itself.  You can see that they're a little disgusted that the ride was over and they'd been beat to every stop by an overloaded, 35 y-o, shiftless slab sled.  Their production crew thought it was funny.    :whip2:
Yeah, a lot of those guys looked down their noses at the Jackal too. But it never failed me in 14 years on those roads. Never dropped it either.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2018, 07:25:42 PM »
I'll throw in a list which I used at Trans Labrador highway and will use again this summer.
Needless to say, some pack one credit card and jeans. I don't.

I pack relatively heavy and camp as often as possible. Swim in rivers and eat on side of the road. If I find a hotel and stink bad, I'll take it.
I have the tools I need, will practice flat repairs by taking off both wheels and installing new tires before the trip. In case I screw up something, I usually have a way of getting back on road.
Unless its a complete mess. I have also extra Desert Fox 5lt fuel cell and two 30 oz bottles. Just in case. You will not find me stranded on side of the road without fuel. I need to rely on myself to get my poor ass out of crappy situation in Alaska or deserted roads. You should too, Alaska is not Alabama.

Here's my list, hope you find it helpful and it will trigger a conversation of what's needed and what's not. Its strapped on Stelvio.

Bike Gear
Armored Trousers (waterproof)
Armored Jacket (waterproof)
Gloves
Rain Gloves
        (or dish washing rubber gloves, it hurts like hell when you ride 12 hours in rain and its 40 degrees....)
Boots (waterproof with good impact protection)
Helmet
Pinlock Visor or extra visor
SenaV10S to talk to your buddy
Rain gear (pants and jacket)
Sun Glasses
Driving Glasses (I'm old, I need these to spot a moose...)
Baclava, to block wind and waterproof
Bungee cords
Cargo Net
First Aid Kit, includes Sam Splint
Tank bag (large)
Tow strap
Small waterproof bags (to put electronics inside tankbag)
Two Wolfman waterproof duffel bags, one for camping gear, one for clothes.

Personal Clothes
Jeans
T-Shirts (short and long sleeved)
Sweater
Shorts
Thermals (top+bottom)
Underwear
Socks
Light jacket (rainproof)
Walking Shoes
Sandals
Hat (1 Warm, 1 protective)
Swim wear
        Narrow Belt (works also as tourniquet...)

Camping gear
Tent (I use 2 man tent with small vestibule for myself and gear)
Tent footprint
Sleeping pad, insulated
Sleeping bag
Sleeping bag liner for extra cold nights or extra hot nights when I don't need the bag)
inflatable Pillow
12"x12" REI Tarp and 2 poles
Headlight with strap
Bear can for food (better have this one...)
Bear pepper spray (yes, it is fully legal in Canada)
Hunting knife
Small Ax (to make fire in woods)
Foldable saw (to make fire in woods)
Small Shovel (to clean and clear campsite)
Ziplock bags
Food (dried, cans, beef jerky, etc...)
40 oz aluminum Water bottle (usually strapped on my cargo net.)
Water bag 6lt (to cook and drink, in case I'm stuck few days somewhere...)
Bug Spray and bug hat (black flies will bite a chunk off your face and fly to nearest tree to munch it...) Nasty little things....
Helinox or other foldable camping chair
Rope and thin rope (large for anything I need it for, pulling bike off ditch? thin rope for camping needs...
Small Camping Light (mainly for cooking or inside tent)
Matches and lighters
Jetboil Stove with accessories
Jetboil fuel cans (3)
Can opener
Condiments and spices
Toilet paper
Cooking pan
Chopping board (I like to cook well on the road, potatoes, onions, eggs and other stuff stays in good shape fee days...)
Steel plates, fork/knife/spoon and coffee mug
Trash bag
Coffee
Rechargeable flashlight
Compass

Personal Care
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Dental Floss (you can do a lot with this...)
Chap stick
Shower Gel (small, works as shampoo too)
Reading glasses
Deodorant, in case I see people?
Earplugs
Wet Wipes
Microfiber Towel
Sun Screen 30x (small)
Medicine (antihistamine, Ibuprofein)
Comb
Eye Drops

Documentation
Passport
Drivers license
MGNOG Assist List
Cash
Credit Cards
Insurance and Registration papers
Map
Keys & Spares
Paper, Sharpie and ballpoint pen

Electronics
Camera, Case & Charger
Mobile Phone & Charger
Garmin CSX60 with Topo maps (yes, I always take the stupid side roads with silly elevation, thats why...)
Garmin Zumo with standard map
Spot3, Lithium AAA batteries (for the BIG mistakes. Its trapped on me, not on my bike, In case we are separated in crash)
GoPro, batteries, charger, GoPro stick

Mechanical
Leatherman Tool
Toolkit (all the stuff I need for Stelvio only. Check all nuts and sizes, so I have what is needed, not what a bag manufacturer thinks I need.....)
Zip ties (extra large and long ones. Very handy when crap happens)
Tire patch kit
Duct Tape, not in roll, but folded, takes less space....
Microfiber rag to clean visors
Full set of spare light bulbs and fuses
Spare Keys duct taped on bike. Just in case..)
Extra clutch and brake levers (for the big fuckups)
1lt Agip 10-60W Oil
Tire change tools
Superglue and JB Weld for anything I cannot fix,
Few Spare parts, plugs, boots, nuts, bolts
Tire pressure gauge
Steel wire for anything I cannot fix properly....
Spare gear and foot brake lever

Have fun....
Wow! What a list

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2018, 07:27:45 PM »
Yeah, a lot of those guys looked down their noses at the Jackal too. But it never failed me in 14 years on those roads. Never dropped it either.
Nice!

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »
Wow! What a list

Feel free to shorten it to your liking :thumb:
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
1968 Riverside MW 125

Ciao!

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
Don't forget the emergency tooth repair kit.  I'm serious.  You can fix (temp) a cracked tooth or lost filling/crown.  If you've ever been on the wrong end 1000 miles from a dentist you'll agree.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
Ok here are highlights of route we have ridden the he'll out of Southern Utah so I'm focusing else where
Pikes Peak
Loveland Pass
Rim Rock Drive
Ut 128
Arches
Canyonlands
Ut 31
Ut 65
US 89
Mirror Lake
Yellowstone
Beartooth Pass
Glacier,  Going to the Sun
Banff
Lake Louise
Alcan highway
Dawson
Artic Circle sign
Denali
Homer
Fairy to Seattle
Highway 1
PCH
Yosemite
Zion
Grand Canyon
30 -40 days
Can it be done?! We will find out

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »

I think you, me, and Galen represented the Cali's very honorably in our respective neighborhoods.  None of us dropped them ever on an Alaska trip.  Joe on the 1150GS (do I have the bike right?) on the other hand.  . . . :shocked: :rolleyes: :bike-037:
We never knew which would be on top when we caught up with him.

Here's Galen charging for the finish:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
Ok here are highlights of route we have ridden the he'll out of Southern Utah so I'm focusing else where
Pikes Peak
Loveland Pass
Rim Rock Drive
Ut 128
Arches
Canyonlands
Ut 31
Ut 65
US 89
Mirror Lake
Yellowstone
Beartooth Pass
Glacier,  Going to the Sun
Banff
Lake Louise
Alcan highway
Dawson
Artic Circle sign
Denali
Homer
Fairy to Seattle
Highway 1
PCH
Yosemite
Zion
Grand Canyon
30 -40 days
Can it be done?! We will find out

You missed Chicken and Anchor Point.

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
You missed Chicken and Anchor Point.
Will add!

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2018, 12:03:26 AM »

:1:
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2018, 08:38:15 PM »
So playing with the load out, 1st just piled crap on 2nd one will work need to mount rear rack for fuel. Good Lord is she fat!

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2018, 08:39:14 PM »
Everything for a month heavy stuff loaded low!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »
Everything for a month heavy stuff loaded low!

Whew, even with the heavy stuff loaded low, that's a TALL load.   It'll have to be on there tight to be at all stable, and you'll definitely want to test it in a cross-wind.   Different bikes react differently to cross-winds at speed ...

Lannis

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2018, 08:50:29 PM »
Going to ride here soon in dusty, windy West Texas, southern nm

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here