Author Topic: Moto - International Seattle is closing.  (Read 19646 times)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Moto - International Seattle is closing.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »
How about we form a co-op for parts, get a relationship with mg, and supply ourselves? 

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »
A good friend who runs a large multi-brand dealership called me about this today.   He thinks (and I agree) this is a major blow to Moto Guzzi in the US. 

His own dealership has basically dropped Guzzi even though he and the owner are Guzzi enthusiasts.  His basic point is that, as a business, there is no money in the Guzzi brand. 

His biggest beef, other than no sales, is the warranty reimbursement procedure for Guzzi.  The dealership often must wait weeks to get their money for warranty work.  Whereas BMW, Indian, Suzuki etc etc usually pay up within a couple days, the Guzzi norm is a very long wait for approval and reimbursement.

Going out of business since ....

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »
I don't know what to say, other than: "I don't know what to say."

I'm just sick.

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline mphcycles

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
I have no idea what happened with Moto INternational other than I 'thought' Dave retired and/or sold the business a couple of years ago. Moto International closing is some of the worst news regarding Moto Guzzi in the US I've read since MPH and Rose Farm both called it quits with Piaggio.

Thankfully, when one door closes another opens. I read earlier that Mike Haven is going back in business. I have no real idea what happened with MPH Cycles over the years either. But I'm glad to know Mike is back.
Thanks Mark,  Mike never closed MPH cycles, I just moved it to a building at home for a year. The buyer of MPH auto, has been evicted by me from my building, so I moved MPH cycles back to its proper home. I have no plans to resume sales of new bikes. Davy has rejoined me on a part time basis, so that we can continue to do service for the many riders we have met through the years
Mike Haven
MPH Cycles
16510 Park Row
Houston, Texas 77084
832 557 7214
www.mphcycles.com
 (Please just email me ,  I dont PM)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »

bpreynolds

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
Was there ever a period in modern history where Guzzis were not sold in the US at all?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:43:28 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline mikebr

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
That is sad news brought two Guzzis of Dave and was impressed by Dave and his team.
One of the best motorcycle shops I have been too.

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
This is very discouraging news, though I am not really surprised. When Dave left, the shop crew left soon after, and the parts department as well. What is left after that? Even though they are 375 miles away, I always considered MI to be  my local dealer. Even though I never bought a new Guzzi, ( I currently have 6) I have bought thousands of dollars of parts from them, and when I got my first one 20 years ago, Dave and crew were  extremely helpful to me in sharing their  knowledge both through guzziology, in person, and over the phone. When I would go to Seattle, I would always make a pilgrimage there to pick up something and drink in the atmosphere. It was truly the last of the old school motorcycle shops, just like they all used to be back when I first started riding when I was in high school. Run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Cogito Ergo Zoom! Exotica for the Proletariat! I had hopes  of buying a new v85 from them. This is a major loss, not only for the PNW, but for the whole country.

Si Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA

elvisboy77

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 07:19:09 PM »
I wish Dollar General carried Guzzi.  That would make everyone happy who doesn't like how far away their dealer is.  It would be great to have three dealers in Durham NC!

Moto International was a great bike shop, I stopped thru there in 1986, great folks.

For those of you who have owned small businesses and then sold them this comes as no surprise.

Offline DucatiSSsp

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2018, 07:45:45 PM »
Can't vouch for them, but they do have a certified MG mechanic.
http://seattleusedbikes.com/about/
Owner of SUB, Dave Roosevelt founded Seattle Ducati back in the day.
'05 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha WR426F
'97 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
'98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2018, 08:10:38 PM »
I wish Dollar General carried Guzzi.  That would make everyone happy who doesn't like how far away their dealer is.  It would be great to have three dealers in Durham NC!

Moto International was a great bike shop, I stopped thru there in 1986, great folks.

For those of you who have owned small businesses and then sold them this comes as no surprise.

You're an exponential level or two dismissive of the problem.  In the real world this failure doesn't play.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
Thanks Mark,  Mike never closed MPH cycles, I just moved it to a building at home for a year. The buyer of MPH auto, has been evicted by me from my building, so I moved MPH cycles back to its proper home. I have no plans to resume sales of new bikes. Davy has rejoined me on a part time basis, so that we can continue to do service for the many riders we have met through the years

Mike,

Thank you very much for this clarity. I visited your shop years ago. I didn't ''need' anything for any of my Guzzis. I just needed to stop at your shop to be where, IMHO, one of the best Moto Guzzi shops there ever was, was. I think I bought a few Guzzi do dads and t-shirts. All the best to you sir. It's wonderful knowing you're back, after not 'really' leaving.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
Can't vouch for them, but they do have a certified MG mechanic.
http://seattleusedbikes.com/about/
Owner of SUB, Dave Roosevelt founded Seattle Ducati back in the day.

Derek used to be at MI and I believe he's worked on one of my bikes before.  Always happy with the service I got at MI.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »
When all the dealers leave they will go to an internet model selling on the web (like bicycles) and service is up to the buyer to figure out!
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »
 Seems to work for CSC Motorcycles
https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »
But hey.... There are a bunch new models coming out!!!    :evil:

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
Had it not been for Moto International, I probably would not be riding my Norge, or any other Guzzi.  Dave sold me the bike, sight unseen, over the telephone and via bank transfers (we banked with the same one so transfers from my account into his were quick and easy).  The first time I saw my bike was when the shipping company brought it out of the warehouse.

Dave helped when my local stealer (another Dave) didn't want to do warranty work on my bike since I didn't buy it from him (his exact words were "Next time you go back to the dealer you brought it from, have him replace them").

He helped again when after finally doing the warranty work (warped rotors), the mechanic did not tie down the speedo sensor and it rubbed through on the ride home. Again, my local seller would not fix the problem.

Dave, and Moto International were one of the very good guys.  I will miss having a reliable dealer just a phone call away.

Fortunately MPH, and the other good guys are still here.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »
I don't know what to say, other than: "I don't know what to say."

I'm just sick.

Spud

Yes, it is a sad day. 

I just don't know what to say beyond that.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 08:13:33 PM »
Moto International closing is indeed very sad news for US Moto Guzzi fans. I never bought a bike from them but I still have my old copy of Guzziology. Years ago the lightened flywheel I bought from Dave was a beautiful work of art. If I didn't need it in the bike I would have gladly mounted it on a wall in my office. He also told me I got the last G&G sump available for my old Bassa.

But besides excellent information to the Guzzi community, I always felt they were the Moto Guzzi wholesaler in the US. Therefore making it even more difficult for your 'local' dealer to sell their inventory. Many perspective buyers fully expected their local dealer to match the Moto International blowout price. Something they could rarely due because many of the bikes MI was wholesaling were returns from dealers and/or they were bought from Piaggio at much better prices than your local dealer inventory.

It's difficult to think of a Guzzi dealer other than Harper's Moto Guzzi, that has had a bigger impact on keeping Moto Guzzi alive in the USA. But, I do think the vacuum left from Moto International's exit will most certainly be filled by someone else. The Piaggio business model is still such that they need to wholesale bikes to move them out of their warehouse as well as from dealers giving up the brand. Therefore, look for another dealer to fill that void. Thankfully, Dave Richardson has done everything he could do over the years to get wonderful information about the bikes out to the Guzzi community. That void will also be filled by others.

I have no insight into any existing or a potentially new Moto Guzzi dealer. But business is business and where there's a need, there will be someone to fill it. Replacing the personality of Dave and the old crew at Moto International is the real obstacle. In the end, people buy from people they like, people they trust and people who have a welcoming personality.

One of the most sobering things about Moto International's closing is their claim of their business not being financially viable. Yet nearly anyone who knows and knew them, have nothing but praise for them. Never the less, someone will fill the need to move the number of bikes needed for Piaggio to keep Moto Guzzi in the US. The only alternative would be for them to stop importing the brand. I don't know how many Moto Guzzi motorcycles Piaggio imports, but I suspect it would never make it as a stand alone business.

So be of good cheer and cherish the wonderful memories you have from Moto International. Things will work out and it will be ok.     

Moto

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 08:27:31 PM »
Yes, it's horrible, but it's just the other shoe dropping after Dave retired.

I lived very close to the shop during 2002-3, and had transmission service, parts, a V11 test ride, and a remotely-delivered Griso (to Madison) over the years. Great staff at the time, top to bottom.

What I wish I had now is a copy of the old logo, "Exotica for the Proletariat," with Atlas holding the world on his shoulders. Would be nice to frame and put on the wall. But I can't find one. Anyone have or know where to get a copy? (It's no longer on the web site.)

Moto
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:10:40 AM by Moto »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 08:42:26 PM »
Dave Richardson at Moto International -

Offline Cruzerdog

• Gosling
  • "Lone Dog- No Woof"
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2018, 08:50:34 PM »
yes Daveis a GREAT stand up guy :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ..I never met the new owners ...  I bought a white 80th anniversaryEV  demo bike from DAVE .. and he helped me immensely :bow: ...warranty work and also advice on on getting  a CAL VINTAGE from a guy in Hawaii  -- never have I ever dealt with dealer like Moto International .. when the 1400 came out I was working with Dave  to get one.....

.so weird last week I bought used 1400 touring from a Kawa dealer in Bellevue 
.. a bike that  originally came from MI -- small world...
and it will be heading over to DMC for a sidecar mounting...

RIP Moto International     

I think bigger storm clouds are forming in Milwaukee  next .....  as many od us age out of MC's  :lipsrsealed:       
John
Folsom CA    (near the prison but NOT in it)

MGNOC 21423

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2018, 11:42:02 PM »
Really sad.  MI is a resource and a common place for all the Guzzi owners spread through the northwest.

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »
I was just in there a couple of weeks ago.
After I bought my bike there in 2010, I sold and installed a Furnace for Dave's house.
I am sorry I couldn't have bought more bikes there, but mine is still working very well (2008 Norge New Old Stock.)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
If you are only counting US side, those are it.

Canada has a few but more toward into the mountain...so not as accessible when the weather is bad...and they are more of smaller shops as well.

Echo Cycles in Edmonton isn't what I'd call a "small shop", nor is Blackfoot in Calgary.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
Echo Cycles in Edmonton isn't what I'd call a "small shop", nor is Blackfoot in Calgary.

I guess I should clarify as I am talking about the shops in BC  :boozing:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
During a happier time.

I bought my '13 Stelvio November 21, 2014 - my birthday. Lisa noticed this doing the paperwork and stalled around for a while, long enough to get me a birthday cake.  MI was the bestest!

Here's the crew then...

Spud

[/url]
[/img]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:22:40 PM by Spuddy »
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »
I was trying to key some bags and top case plus spare ignition/side cover keys for an Eldorado some years ago.  After chatting through things, she said she'd send me some likely things to try.  I received a box with about 10 pounds of keys, lock inserts and spare assemblies and I was amazed at the experience.  I sent back the unused items and then received a moderate bill a week or so later.  I literally felt guilty about it all as she was over the top in helping me.  I had access to some corporate gift boxes (I worked for 3M) and had a supply of office supply items sent to her as a partial show of appreciation.
He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
So sad, does any other brand turn over dealerships as much as Guzzi?
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »
So the question is do I ride up to Seattle to visit the shop this week (having never been) or is it a shell of it's former self with Dave and the old staff gone and I'd just be visiting a skeleton?
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 10:05:28 PM »
Beautiful weather for a ride.  If you're looking for an excuse, that's a good 'un. 

Last time I went I think there was only 1 person I recognized from a year ago.  Nice people all, but different.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here