Author Topic: Le Mans styled V7 III is the basis for a new endurance race series  (Read 12017 times)

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Le Mans styled V7 III is the basis for a new endurance race series
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »
Maybe the "race kit" would include a new engine? 

frame?  suspension?  electronics?  But keep the bodywork.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »
Don't get me wrong... I love this!

Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »
I'll bet those that are complaining rarely get off their computers or out of their shops and actually ride.  Buchanan of old curmudgeons.   LOL!

Running the same bike, car, boat, etc. , regardless of what it is, makes for more exciting racing.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline gentlemanjim

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »
I like all the versions of the V7's, but until they produce horsepower in the range of the competition, Triumph Street twin, Ducati Monster 797, Yamaha FZ-07, etc. Sadly they will get looked over the masses and never get the respect and  Sales that they need.  Not that 49 HP isn't enough, it just always keeps them out of the running.  I was happy with my V500's.  The open market is a tough task master

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2018, 06:04:05 PM »
The modern V7 line has become by far and away Guzzi's mainstay, greatly outselling all other models.  One of the selling points of the V7 line is its modest price - clearly Piaggio management has made a decision to offer basic suspension on most V7 models in order to keep the MSRP down.  The Racer, I believe, is offered with uprated suspension, but for a correspondingly higher cost. The one-design class LeMans tribute racer pictured above is shown with Ohlins shocks, and presumably has equally upgraded forks - and a price to match.  There is thus no doubt that Guzzi can - and in certain cases does - offer the V7 III with high-zoot suspension, but this will come at considerable additional cost above the base model.  For marketing purposes, Guzzi chooses to offer most V7 models fitted with basic suspension, at an attractive price.  For owners who want to upgrade the suspension, there are plenty of options - at a price.  Whether it comes from factory fitment or aftermarket, upper tier suspension components can. add $2000 USD to the bike's cost.  Piaggio/Guzzi seem to feel that they will sell more bikes at the lower MSRP made possible by basic suspension, leaving upgrades to the owner (unless you want to buy a Racer or the one-design series LeMans tribute bike factory-equipped with Ohlins).   I think this is probably a sound marketing strategy overall.

I am aware of very few complaints about the V7's brakes.  A single disk and caliper, again, serve to contain costs, while many V7 owners seem to feel that the bike brakes very well and a (costly) second disk is unnecessary for this relatively lightweight bike.  For those who want more bite, an easy upgrade to EBC HH pads will lower the lever effort.  The V7's OE Brembo brake components are not top of the line, but they are very good quality nonetheless.    Another easy upgrade to the V7's brakes for those who are more demanding would be to fit a Brembo RCS radial master cylinder.  The V7's brakes can be readily improved for a relatively modest cost, but Guzzi's marketing strategy is to offer the bike with basic - but quite capable - brakes to keep the price down, again leaving any desired upgrades to the owner. 

Certainly, Guzzi could offer the entire V7 model line with first tier suspension and brakes (as with the Racer and certain special models), but this would add so much to the MSRP that many potential buyers would be put off and look elsewhere.  The company's marketing strategy is clearly to sell most V7 models with basic equipment at an attractive price, and let owners make upgrades as they deem needed.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »
Plenty of good used big blocks out there, although California and over seas may outlaw them.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2018, 06:12:40 PM »
It has Ohlins.  I suspect the rear shocks on that thing cost a quarter of what a new Stone sells for.  What the hell would a 50hp bike need Ohlins forks for?  LOL.

For better ride and handling than the poor little thing has, now.  The forks are dismal.  Don't forget, I've owned two of these things.  A 2010 Classic and a 2014 Special.

You're talking about putting $3,000 suspension on a $6,000 bike.  Adding a dual disc setup, plus the suspension would probably put the MSRP at 11-12k.  There are about a hundred other bikes I'd rather buy at that price.  Who would buy one?  Talk about trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.....

Yes.  And I, among others, would pay for the suspension.  I've paid for full Ohlins before, on my 11 LeMans Nero Corsa.

Many people at the time said the same thing about Ohlins on the V11.  But you know what?  It was sublime...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:14:14 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline gentlemanjim

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2018, 06:29:59 PM »
You guys are missing my point.  The point is to be competitive in the open market Guzzi needs to provide design and features and power they lack. Most of the competition has basic suspension, a ton more power, better sized wheels, being the best sell Guzzi is not much of a accomplishment with low numbers and minimal dealers.  Make V7 power and features that can compete with a Suzuki SV650 or a Yamaha FZ-07.  They're basic bikes with and get attention from the press and the consumer.  They'd see a bunch and attract more dealers. 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »
Not necessarily referring to you Huzo, and I'm NEVER serious here. I knew when I posted this it would stir up some s**t with the "gang" and I'd sooner ride that LeMans than that hideous V9 roamer.
I sort of thought that may have been the case mate.
Yeah look, Guzzi have to build stuff they can sell or they'll end up producing flat pack kitchens in the Mandello factory.
The Guzzi isn't "tough" nor does it need to be, if you don't go head to head with the big boys, you don't have to fight them. If Guzzi can develop a solid customer base, then perhaps can extend the tentacles a bit by offering optioned up variants to new customers so there isn't a set of discarded forks and other basement level paraphernalia chucked under every new owners bench.
Goon on 'em I say.
PS
I really would love to see polished alloy rims, twin discs and radial Brembo's though, whether it needs them or not.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:40:51 PM by Huzo »

pete roper

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2018, 06:49:59 PM »
Quite the opopsite...  A "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing".    :wink:

An entry level retro standard tarted up to emulate the mighty 850 LeMans.

My biggest complaint here is the total lack of nice suspension and brakes available on the small block line.

I'm all for tributing the past high points of Guzzi's stable, but please please please if you're going to dress up a V7 as a LeMans, why can't we also have some modern USD forks, long-travel premium rear shocks (or maybe a cantilevered monoshock?), and dual disk brakes?

Every small block comes with the same bargain basement forks and shocks.  And, out of the box, the suspension simply sucks...

The "Moto Guzzi Fast Endurance Trophy"?  This was their opportunity to provide the riding public with a "V7 FE", equipped with USD Ohlins forks matched to the Ohlins rear shocks.  17-inch front wheel.  Dual disk brakes.

Alas, they seem to have missed the opportunity...

This exactly! They didn't even have to go the whole hog and design a completely new frame! They have the experience of 'Updating' the *Old* well. Look at the Bellagio. It was basically a Tonti frame with a reactive rear end grafted on and you know what? Apart from the weird choice to stick the 'Whale Penis' tank on it and not equip it with modern, decent, forks it was an absolute ball-tearer! Then, for some reason only known to the Piaggio Lizard People they never sold it in the US! :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:

Pete

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong... I love this!

That photo is hilarious

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
Re: New LeMans????
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »
Its worked before, race on Sunday, sell on Monday.

Bob Tascas' quote was "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" and only applies when racing against competition.

Triumph did this in the '90s with the Speed Triple Challenge, and BMW did this with the Boxer Cup. It makes for fun racing, all vehicles being somewhat equal, but doesn't translate to the quote above, not like ducati, Kawasaki, etc. etc. winning superbike races.

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online vintage53

• Gosling
Re: New LeMans????
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
A V85 engine. And a proper suspension. And Marketing !!!! It does not need to resemble the MK 1 of  1976. The agree, the big block as an air cooled twin will be gone. 
Let's see what develops. 

At this point I will continue to enjoy my V11, with its 15yr old spine frame and Ohlins.

But I have also road tested The current V7 III, and enjoyed it, expectations matter.  But there is so much more they can do , fix the deficiencies. And become more competitive.
1977 Lemans 1.2 "Project"
2004 V11 Coppa Italia
2010 California Vintage
2021 Vespa 75th Anniversary Primavera 150

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »
The modern V7 line has become by far and away Guzzi's mainstay, greatly outselling all other models.  One of the selling points of the V7 line is its modest price - clearly Piaggio management has made a decision to offer basic suspension on most V7 models in order to keep the MSRP down.  The Racer, I believe, is offered with uprated suspension, but for a correspondingly higher cost. The one-design class LeMans tribute racer pictured above is shown with Ohlins shocks, and presumably has equally upgraded forks - and a price to match.  There is thus no doubt that Guzzi can - and in certain cases does - offer the V7 III with high-zoot suspension, but this will come at considerable additional cost above the base model.  For marketing purposes, Guzzi chooses to offer most V7 models fitted with basic suspension, at an attractive price.  For owners who want to upgrade the suspension, there are plenty of options - at a price.  Whether it comes from factory fitment or aftermarket, upper tier suspension components can. add $2000 USD to the bike's cost.  Piaggio/Guzzi seem to feel that they will sell more bikes at the lower MSRP made possible by basic suspension, leaving upgrades to the owner (unless you want to buy a Racer or the one-design series LeMans tribute bike factory-equipped with Ohlins).   I think this is probably a sound marketing strategy overall.

I am aware of very few complaints about the V7's brakes.  A single disk and caliper, again, serve to contain costs, while many V7 owners seem to feel that the bike brakes very well and a (costly) second disk is unnecessary for this relatively lightweight bike.  For those who want more bite, an easy upgrade to EBC HH pads will lower the lever effort.  The V7's OE Brembo brake components are not top of the line, but they are very good quality nonetheless.    Another easy upgrade to the V7's brakes for those who are more demanding would be to fit a Brembo RCS radial master cylinder.  The V7's brakes can be readily improved for a relatively modest cost, but Guzzi's marketing strategy is to offer the bike with basic - but quite capable - brakes to keep the price down, again leaving any desired upgrades to the owner. 

Certainly, Guzzi could offer the entire V7 model line with first tier suspension and brakes (as with the Racer and certain special models), but this would add so much to the MSRP that many potential buyers would be put off and look elsewhere.  The company's marketing strategy is clearly to sell most V7 models with basic equipment at an attractive price, and let owners make upgrades as they deem needed.
I just reckon that is the whole point in a nutshell.
Better to sell four basic ones than two fancy ones. If Guzzi sold it with Ohlins and radial Brembo stuff dripping off it, buyers would grizzle their collective gutses out and say something like..
"Jeez, for an extra 1500 bucks, I could get a Ducati ******."
Bikes are like partners..
Get a good reliable one that can cook and smile and consider the boob job later..(if you must)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:21:55 PM by Huzo »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2018, 08:21:36 PM »
You guys are missing my point.  The point is to be competitive in the open market Guzzi needs to provide design and features and power they lack. Most of the competition has basic suspension, a ton more power, better sized wheels, being the best sell Guzzi is not much of a accomplishment with low numbers and minimal dealers.  Make V7 power and features that can compete with a Suzuki SV650 or a Yamaha FZ-07.  They're basic bikes with and get attention from the press and the consumer.  They'd see a bunch and attract more dealers.

I had the FZ07.   Much happier with the V7III.   About to put $2000 in suspension because this is a long term bike.  Other than the motor the FZ07 was a pretender with budget everything.   Fake carbon fiber, fake ram air, crap chain adjuster, bouncy suspension.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2018, 04:07:25 AM »
The V7 line is the only model that sells in any meaningful numbers in the US.  The V7 line has the best resale of any Guzzi model.  The V7 line is the least expensive of the bikes Guzzi offers.  All three are related.

The 4 or 5 people on this thread clamoring for a $12,000 V7 with Ohlins, triple discs and RCS master cylinders are the only 4 or 5 in the country that would buy one.  For every one person who bought one, another thousand people would buy a brand new 821 Monster instead. 

What you guys are talking about is a lot like clamoring for Honda to put a USD fork and Ohlins on a re-introduced 1973 CB350.  The V7 is a vintage motorcycle.  It may be brand new but it's limited in MANY ways compared to a modern motorcycle.  Guzzi has done a great job of marketing the bike as a classic bike.  Doing so allows everyone to overlook the antiquated performance of the engine and chassis.  The instant you put thousands of dollars in modern, high spec components on the bike all of the shortcomings that were previously ignored by everyone suddenly become issues because the bike will be compared to modern bikes in the class rather than being viewed fondly through the "retro bike" prism. 

You'd end up with a very expensive motorcycle that would have it's lunch money stolen by a $7,000 Suzuki SV650 in every possible way except appearance.  Ohlins and radial brakes are nothing but jewelry on a bike like the V7. 

The V7 is the gateway drug to Guzzi's.  It's a dime bag.  You guys are talking about fentanyl.         

pete roper

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2018, 04:39:32 AM »
Which is the reason I say they have to put a new broom through the whole shitty edifice.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2018, 05:20:29 AM »
Wonderful reading and entertainment here.  Like a good Vegas show without the high ticket price.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2018, 06:12:18 AM »
The V7III is a consistent top finisher in BIKE magazine tests. Must be OK then.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2018, 06:42:25 AM »

Just goes to show that the experience of riding a motorcycle is more than just the spec sheet.

I enjoy a fast motorcycle with a good chassis as much as the next guy, but, still enjoy riding my V7's ('17 V7 III, and '13 V7R), as well as my vintage bikes.   It's more enjoyable at speeds that are considered "reasonable" on public roads -- so long as those roads aren't too rough, then I prefer to be on my R1200RS or Monster 796 -- both with Ohlins suspensions).

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2018, 06:48:46 AM »

Yeah...when they compare it to 883 Sportster’s and Royal Enfield’s.  It’s a truly wonderful bike but it’s an antique with modern electronics.  It’s not a modern motorcycle when it comes to the frame, suspension or engine performance.  As soon as you put high spec. Components on it all of the quaint and endearing qualities of the bike will instead be seen as inexcusable shortcomings. 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2018, 07:34:34 AM »
Just goes to show that the experience of riding a motorcycle is more than just the spec sheet.

I enjoy a fast motorcycle with a good chassis as much as the next guy, but, still enjoy riding my V7's ('17 V7 III, and '13 V7R), as well as my vintage bikes.   It's more enjoyable at speeds that are considered "reasonable" on public roads -- so long as those roads aren't too rough, then I prefer to be on my R1200RS or Monster 796 -- both with Ohlins suspensions).

I find SS bikes boring because they take no effort to ride at the speeds I ride.  Same with high performance sports cars.  I am not going to drive or ride at double the speed limit.

The V7III and a Miata would provide the thrill at some speeds.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2018, 08:22:38 AM »
The V7 line is the only model that sells in any meaningful numbers in the US.  The V7 line has the best resale of any Guzzi model.  The V7 line is the least expensive of the bikes Guzzi offers.  All three are related.

The 4 or 5 people on this thread clamoring for a $12,000 V7 with Ohlins, triple discs and RCS master cylinders are the only 4 or 5 in the country that would buy one.  For every one person who bought one, another thousand people would buy a brand new 821 Monster instead. 

What you guys are talking about is a lot like clamoring for Honda to put a USD fork and Ohlins on a re-introduced 1973 CB350.  The V7 is a vintage motorcycle.  It may be brand new but it's limited in MANY ways compared to a modern motorcycle.  Guzzi has done a great job of marketing the bike as a classic bike.  Doing so allows everyone to overlook the antiquated performance of the engine and chassis.  The instant you put thousands of dollars in modern, high spec components on the bike all of the shortcomings that were previously ignored by everyone suddenly become issues because the bike will be compared to modern bikes in the class rather than being viewed fondly through the "retro bike" prism. 

You'd end up with a very expensive motorcycle that would have it's lunch money stolen by a $7,000 Suzuki SV650 in every possible way except appearance.  Ohlins and radial brakes are nothing but jewelry on a bike like the V7. 

The V7 is the gateway drug to Guzzi's.  It's a dime bag.  You guys are talking about fentanyl.       

John, I'd settle for conventional forks as good as the Marzocchi M1 on my 22 year old Sport 1100.

The forks on the V7 line are pure crap.  Horrible.  While the forks on my 22 year old Sport 1100 are fantastic.  Wonderful.  There is no reason why the V7 should have to suffer with the crappy forks Guzzi have slapped on it.  I've ridden a lot of motorcycles over the past 40 years.  The V7's front forks rate right at the bottom.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
Yeah...when they compare it to 883 Sportster’s and Royal Enfield’s.  It’s a truly wonderful bike but it’s an antique with modern electronics.  It’s not a modern motorcycle when it comes to the frame, suspension or engine performance.  As soon as you put high spec. Components on it all of the quaint and endearing qualities of the bike will instead be seen as inexcusable shortcomings.

I have upgraded the front and back on my 2015 V7 and don't find the "shortcomings' an issue at all.  The old school feel is the charm for me.  Superior front and rear makes it that much better.  No illusions as to what the bike is or is not.  I expect, as always, YMMV, and quite a bit at that.  Choices are good, for everyone.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline NewBoots

• New Egg
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »
Look's good to me.

Bucky

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2018, 09:05:47 PM »
It's really nice to see a new Guzzi with gloss paint, especially red. This bike looks more Italian than the rest of the herd. I'd need to remove the number plates.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2018, 05:50:34 AM »
Well, the front fork of my (early) 2013 Stone is bad. Really bad. But it just received a service, and I added a Mupo front fork set (springs, emulator valves). Now the suspension is even firmer, but (and this is a great "but") the harshness is gone. The short accelerations that prior got through directly to my wrists are gone. The roadholding is better. And the best thing: it was not expensive! With work about 400 Euros. Imagine they would add that in the series (Mupo is a small Italian company...). They could order the forks without springs and so from Kaifa (in Vietnam as far I know) and simply add the stuff by themselves. Would be a big enhancement of the ride for little money.

Of course I have to tackle the rear suspension next year. But Ikon also is not expensive.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:53:40 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2018, 07:11:49 AM »
The V7III Stone and original Lemans have similar 1/4 mile times but the V7III is down on top speed.  Look, I'd love to have a big block with retro styling but time has marched on and while the smallblocks may be down on power they're also 60-70lbs lighter.

If the V85 engine was in this bike it would stomp all over the original.  We often look back with rose tinted glasses.       

John's got it right, the rest of y'all are just old men screaming "get off my lawn" from your porches.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »

The bike is in Traxxion Dynamics shop getting cartridges up front and new shocks.  This is how much I love this bike!
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
I like all the versions of the V7's, but until they produce horsepower in the range of the competition, Triumph Street twin, Ducati Monster 797, Yamaha FZ-07, etc. Sadly they will get looked over the masses and never get the respect and  Sales that they need.  Not that 49 HP isn't enough, it just always keeps them out of the running.  I was happy with my V500's.  The open market is a tough task master

So are you calling for water cooling then?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here