Author Topic: Edit: Norge have immobilizer? Won’t start  (Read 4873 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Edit: Norge have immobilizer? Won’t start
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2023, 02:45:33 PM »
You make a lot of sense Patrick.. I may need to add a little throttle too when starting. Still waiting for new head exhaust studs before attempting to start.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2023, 03:59:32 PM »
The Norge and Breva don't have a choke?

No choke, no throttle advancer.  The system is 'autostart' like many modern cars.  I don't know about the Norge, just the Breva 11 which is new to me.  I don't know if other, more-modern Guzzis include this 'feature'.

The 'autostart' feature of my Breva 11 is fully controlled by the ECU.  Turn on the key.  Tap the start button.  Walk away.  The bike cranks on its own continuously for about 5 seconds.  The ECU controls fuel level AND throttle opening via stepper motor.  It either starts or it doesn't (generally does).  You are not touching the bike.

Apparently this ECU intervention is responsible for the loud CLUNK and failure to crank.  If the ECU senses something is not up to snuff it cancels or interrupts the 12v signal to the starter solenoid.  The ECU doesn't care if whether or not you are still pressing the start button.   The starter circuit obeys the ECU, not your thumb.

We all know that electrical connections weaken with age/heat/corrosive atmosphere.  I have two new, quality AGM batteries.  They each meter out at 12.9 volts resting.  Should start any bike.  When installed in the Breva 11, there is a dash numerical display for battery voltage.  The displays shows 12.2 volts.  Somewhere in the bikes wiring, gang connectors, or circuitry there is an age related loss of voltage.  The ECU interprets this as an inadequate battery.  The cranking signal is sent to the starter solenoid which pulls in creating the audible CLUNK.  The sudden demand load drops the line voltage even more.  The  ECU detects the additional voltage drop and suddenly cuts off the entire signal to the starter.  Result is no crank and no start.

I could dig in and correct every connection in the wire circuit in an effort to improve voltage sensing, but what if the false voltage reading is originating inside the ECU?  I chose the easier route of adding the momentary starter bypass and live with the bikes foibles.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2023, 04:26:42 PM »
I've been reading this whole thread with absolute fascination with no idea why. Amazing how complicated the bikes got in just 5 years. Makes me appreciate my California even more! Hope your work around is a final solution.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2023, 04:32:16 PM »

I could dig in and correct every connection in the wire circuit in an effort to improve voltage sensing, but what if the false voltage reading is originating inside the ECU?  I chose the easier route of adding the momentary starter bypass and live with the bikes foibles.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Given that my 2015 ECU on my Griso gave up the ghost on the stepper motor pins after barely 6K miles but over 7 years, I wouldn't be surprised if an even more ancient ECU on the Breva is starting to deteriorate also.  When the bike is running however, are any errors stored in Guzzidiag that you can read?
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2023, 04:32:16 PM »

Offline SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2023, 10:30:53 AM »
  As an owner of an 07 Norge manufactured in 2006 with now 49,000+ Miles on it -  i am acutely interested in following this thread.  PE Hayes you have distilled it down to what should be a sticky feature for all CARC owners of same and near vintage.   Good on-ya. 
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2023, 07:53:23 PM »
Just to sort of put a period on this whole situation. I ended up adding a small start button to start when to handlebar button is not working. We added a relay, tapped the yellow wire from the ignition relay and the orange fused line from the battery (the one from the startus interuptus fix) at the ignition relay without disturbing the original relay so theoretically the handlebar button can still work if the ECU sees enough voltage. We tried the jump by adding second fully charged battery and saw that the ECU was getting 12.1 volts, so still not enough to work. I now can spin the starter but the way we did it only when the key is on.
Now waiting on new exhaust header studs from Cadre before I can wrap everything up and wait for spring when I can bed in the new rings.

It will look better on Bones’ red Norge 🙂
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2023, 08:03:48 PM »
I hope it's weather proof. Only thing I can think of, sounds good.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2023, 08:53:21 PM »
I though of that waterproof question, it’s all shrink wrapped in back and I do have a full waterproof switch in reserve but it’s way big and ugly so I’m starting with this one.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2023, 07:06:54 PM »
Foto, Im curious. I like your safety/ theft prevention by adding the necessity of the key to be required. But what happens if the bike is running and the button is pushed by accident?
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2023, 07:45:08 PM »
Well that would probably be near catastrophic to the starter gear at least.. at first I wanted one of those switches with the cover like aircraft have but I couldn’t find one at the ax man surplus store. May have to look into that tho.guess I should get something like these.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2023, 07:22:54 AM »
Foto, I had several of those at one time, left over from a stash from my Air Force days 1973-77, Gave many away,along with the waterproof toggle switches they protected. They are not invisible, and quite hard to camouflage, especially where you have yours mounted. But if you mounted it on or in the fairing/ dash panels it would look cool, but still be very visible. However, since you have maintained the Key Lock component requirement ,seems like it wouldn’t matter where you put it. My 07 Norge hasn’t exhibited these problems yet,but seeing as it is showing up, might be a good idea to prepare for it as I get around to preseason maintenance.
Maybe in your spare time, you or some other talented member will come up with a kit complete with idiot proof instructions like the Status interuptus fix, in preparation for those of us with CRAC bikes who will eventually need to do fix this system failure.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2023, 05:03:52 PM »
Bypass momentary start switch saved my bacon!!!

I rode the Breva to the hardware store.  When I arrived there was a Harley with its seat off and the owner searching customers for jumper cables.  When he had arrived, ee had killed his motor with the handlebar kill switch.  Went in side shopping with the master power switch still on.  Battery now too weak to crank.

I can fix this!  Brand new battery on the Breva.  Hooked up some cables, but still not enough  power to crank the Harley.  I started and ran the engine up high to get more out of the alternator.  Still wouldn't crank the Harley.  Another customer came along and said he would bring over a big diesel pickup so I went into the store to do my shopping.

When I came out, the Harley was gone.  I boarded the Breva, pushed the button, and NOTHING.  No clunk, no click, no nothing.  I used my bypass switch and started right up.  I drove home 5 miles to contemplate diagnostics.  The Breva has a voltmeter if you know where to find it.  I rode home at 11.7 volts and no increase.  Yikes!

Quick inspection showed a blown 30amp main fuse.  Replaced that and all good.  No damage done.  Blown fuse killed the starter circuit and the alternator circuit.  But the ECU and fuel pump were still functional.  Glad I had the accessory starter bypass.

Patrick  Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2023, 01:02:06 AM »
I don't have a B11 anymore but this sort of thread is always interesting and educating

I was wondering where the functionality of the auto crank lives.

Ie if you push the start button but the auto crank logic thinks that the bike has spin for 5 seconds and turns the juice off

Also in my industrial gas turbine world a sensor spiking the control system can cause a world of pain.
I wonder if something unexpected like (say) the crank sensor could be causing a problem

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2023, 08:50:04 AM »
We added a relay, tapped the yellow wire from the ignition relay and the orange fused line from the battery (the one from the startus interuptus fix) at the ignition relay without disturbing the original relay so theoretically the handlebar button can still work if the ECU sees enough voltage.

I'll call this SI v2.0.  I did the SI v1.0 by tapping in to the yellow wire in the small starter relay with a direct fused connection to batt+.  After that I got the solenoid Clunk.  The orange wire on the starter relay (next to the yellow wire) is connected to the solenoid.  It is only powered for a few seconds when the Clunk happens.

Where did you say you picked up the keyed hot wire to power your new momentary switch?  I think it makes sense to have a keyed + if I can find one easily.  Otherwise I'll just come from the battery at the yellow wire from SI v1.0.

2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green
2000 V11 Bassa - pearl white (the one I sold)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2023, 09:11:12 AM »
I'll call this SI v2.0.  I did the SI v1.0 by tapping in to the yellow wire in the small starter relay with a direct fused connection to batt+.  After that I got the solenoid Clunk.  The orange wire on the starter relay (next to the yellow wire) is connected to the solenoid.  It is only powered for a few seconds when the Clunk happens.

Where did you say you picked up the keyed hot wire to power your new momentary switch?  I think it makes sense to have a keyed + if I can find one easily.  Otherwise I'll just come from the battery at the yellow wire from SI v1.0.
see if this makes sense, if not I will describe it.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2023, 09:33:28 AM »
Ok.  So you're using the yellow from the start relay for your switched hot .  I was confused because you mentioned an orange wire.  Thanks
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2023, 09:37:13 AM »
Orange is what I used for the fused link from battery.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2023, 09:39:59 AM »
Don’t mount your switch where I did at first. I kept bumping it when pedaling the bike around in the garage.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2023, 09:58:47 AM »
What's wrong with on the dash or starter cover.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2023, 12:06:06 PM »
Don’t mount your switch where I did at first. I kept bumping it when pedaling the bike around in the garage.

That was my first thought when I saw that, but I'm a clutz...., lol.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2023, 12:36:08 PM »
The dash would be fine. I just tucked it under seat since the handlebar button decided to work now that it’s spring.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2023, 12:46:45 PM »
I'm going to try coming out of the battery box, under the seat.  Then open an access port in the right side black plastic panel  that hides the shock.  I hope to reach it while sitting  on the bike, not be able to bump it on accident and keep it somewhat hidden.  And it looks easy.

GuzziSteve:
I looked at the starter cover.  Not much room down there to work.  The cover is tight to the starter.  Dash would work. Just more wire.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 12:54:18 PM by gscott »
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2023, 01:06:46 PM »
It’s a Norge, so just a discreet black push button mounted on the acres of black plastic surrounding the instruments.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2023, 03:14:57 PM »
That is essentially what the Startus Interruptus modification does.  You can buy a kit from MPH in Texas or  you can build your own as you have done.

However, for some of us, not even that will solve the CLUNK issue.  Some models (Breva 11) have an auto crank feature (puhleez).  Touch the handlebar button and the motor cranks for several seconds on its own.  You don't need to hold the button to continue the cranking.  Problem is that somewhere in the wiring or connector blocks or the ECU software something intercedes to abruptly cut off the several second cranking feature.  After a few milliseconds  you no longer have a 12v cranking signal in the solenoid spade wire.  Zero volts.  So, it doesn't matter that you have installed an SI relay.  Even that relay drops when the trigger wire signal is cut.  In these rare circumstances,  you have to come up with some bypass alternative directly from battery to solenoid without utilizing the original crank trigger wire at all.  The easiest roadside emergency alternative is to carry 3' of jumper wire, remove your seat, and short the battery directly to the solenoid spade to begin cranking.  Quite a nuisance.  If the problem persists, build in a momentary switch as I have done above and you have an instant, functional alternative to the failed Guzzi cranking.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
Why is the term “momentary switch” used ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2023, 03:19:42 PM »
  As an owner of an 07 Norge manufactured in 2006 with now 49,000+ Miles on it -  i am acutely interested in following this thread.  PE Hayes you have distilled it down to what should be a sticky feature for all CARC owners of same and near vintage.   Good on-ya.
Yep…
‘07 Norge,
220,000 km
It’s only a matter of time… :clock: :popcorn:

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2023, 06:21:19 PM »
Why is the term “momentary switch” used ?

Technical terminology.  That's what you need for a starter circuit.  Mostly there are two kinds of electrical switches.  A typical push button ON/OFF button will click on and stay on.  You don't need to hold it.  If you want it OFF you have to push it again to click off.  The same thing as a lever toggle switch but in button format.

A momentary switch is spring-loaded.  You push ON but you have to hold it.  As soon as  you release pressure it goes back to OFF.  Hence, it is called 'momentary' because it only connects for the moment you wish.  That is the kind of button you need in a starter circuit.  (It is also possible to buy a momentary OFF switch which would stay ON until you push and hold it for a momentary OFF disconnect.  Not a practical application here.).  Your horn button is also a typical momentary switch.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 06:25:48 PM by pehayes »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2023, 06:32:27 PM »
Technical terminology.  That's what you need for a starter circuit.  Mostly there are two kinds of electrical switches.  A typical push button ON/OFF button will click on and stay on.  You don't need to hold it.  If you want it OFF you have to push it again to click off.  The same thing as a lever toggle switch but in button format.

A momentary switch is spring-loaded.  You push ON but you have to hold it.  As soon as  you release pressure it goes back to OFF.  Hence, it is called 'momentary' because it only connects for the moment you wish.  That is the kind of button you need in a starter circuit.  (It is also possible to buy a momentary OFF switch which would stay ON until you push and hold it for a momentary OFF disconnect.  Not a practical application here.).  Your horn button is also a typical momentary switch.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
Thanks mate.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here