Author Topic: Motorcycle magazines...  (Read 694 times)

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
Motorcycle magazines...
« on: July 11, 2023, 12:02:43 PM »
The time has come. I have started recycling 23 years of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure. Feels somehow like a sin throwing these out. So many great things in them, not least to columns by Maynard. But I never read them after the first week or so. Or very occasionally. I have gone to a digital subscription. What would be nice would be to pick and choose from around the world, the people whose writing you really appreciate, and pay a small monthly fee for that. But I have been told by an industry insider that would not work.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
Re: Motorcycle magazines...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 03:23:57 PM »
Scotty, first, thanks for the kind words! Are your magazines all Motorcycle Sport and Leisure? Or are some of them Motorcycle Sports? If you have some old issues of Motorcycle Sports, I would love to have them for my "Back When" pages. I'd be pleased to pay for them and for postage.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 04:40:13 PM »
I’ll buy what Maynard doesn’t want Scotty and I’ll pick up the cost and postage to Maynard as well. PM sent. Ben
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 11:54:59 AM »
Sadly Maynard they are all MSL from 2000-2023. I used to rent a room from a bloke who had years and years of the old Motorcycle Sport; it was excellent and a window into the 60s that I really enjoyed.
Scotty

Thomas Paine

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 11:54:59 AM »

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 01:49:27 PM »
I have all the MCSL issues, Scotty. Ben will enjoy them, I feel sure. Thanks, Ben, for the offer to spring for the old issues and postage! You'll see when you get the recent MCSLs why I want them.

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 04:45:18 AM »
MAN the money I spent on car, and Motorcycle mag's back in the day! About 10 years ago I did the same, and cleared out the BOXES of car craft, hot rod, etc from the mid 70's on, and all the diferent bike mags from the late 80's on..  It was so sad to toss them, but till this post I havent thought about it so I guess it was the good thing.
Paul B

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 05:56:48 AM »
A friend gave me three boxes of 60s and 70s Cycle Guide and Big Bike magazines about five years ago.  I still read them over and over.  It is interesting to see the movement from four stroke to two stroke and back.  Also, these magazines were heavily into DIY maintenance and major modifications right out of the box. Bikes now are so much better but seem a little domesticated. Sigh.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 07:06:07 AM »
I've never seen an issue of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure.  If it is anything like Practical Sportbikes out of the UK, then it would be enjoyable reading.

The American motorcycle magazine industry (or the buyers) died years ago.  The last magazine subscription I had was to Motorcycle Consumer News, but when Dave Searle leftest the editors post it went to Hell in a handbag.  It has been 5 or more years since I have bought a motorcycle magazine.  All the others turned to carp around 2000-2005, IMO.

I remember when the local Barnes and Noble carried at least 15 different issues of motorcycle magazines.  Now I think they carry 3.

On the flip side now that Mitch Boehm is editing the AMA magazine, it has never been better.  I used to throw those away after only about 45 seconds of review.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 07:01:49 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 06:06:03 AM »
MSL is the only one I have regularly bought since I left Australia in 2000. It always seemed to be a magazine for people who liked reading. And I do. Pre 2000 I used to buy Two Wheels which had some very good writers, and very occaisionally Australian Motorcycle News, which was a bit of a curates egg. For a while there was CycleTorque, a free newspaper with quite a few outcast and rebel writers  - that was great but didn't last long.
Scotty

Thomas Paine

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 06:27:09 AM »
A friend gave me three boxes of 60s and 70s Cycle Guide and Big Bike magazines about five years ago.  I still read them over and over.  It is interesting to see the movement from four stroke to two stroke and back.  Also, these magazines were heavily into DIY maintenance and major modifications right out of the box. Bikes now are so much better but seem a little domesticated. Sigh.

I used to love when I could find some of the bike mags from the UK. They were much more like the older ones you speak of. Lots of tech, mods, and interesting stuff that most of the US publishers, with their issues full of mostly ad copy, just didn't have
Paul B

Offline Speciality

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 10:18:34 AM »
I had MCS from February 1973 to well into MCS&L days. A couple of years or so ago I started re-reading them. As I read a batch I’d then take them to a local charity store; I’m sure they’ll have made a few £s selling them on. MCS&L is, IMHO, nowhere near as interesting or good value as was MCS. Apart from Maynard and Kevin Cameron I find it less interesting than some other current mags and, TBH, I can’t see it lasting much longer without more content and a bit of a rehash. In my view it is not as good as the recently departed Practical Sportsbikes, which was unique in its blend of humour and interest, despite my never being a sports bike owner until very recently, when in my early seventies I bought a new CBR650R to act as a foil to my V7 850 Special and because I wanted to try one while I still can. Fortunately some of the writers in Practical Sportsbikes have found new homes in Classic Bike or Classic Mechanics, so all is not lost. I have stopped buying MCS&L as a matter of course, something only loyalty prevented me doing some while ago now. For me it is not the magazine it once was. It’s tough to survive in these days of high production costs in publishing, but by the same token disposable income has taken a nosedive too, especially here in the UK.

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2023, 04:47:45 PM »
All the others turned to carp around 2000-2005, IMO.

Whether that is a typo or a Freudian slip, it's still apropos.
1990 MilleGT

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2023, 05:59:45 PM »
Whether that is a typo or a Freudian slip, it's still apropos.

that sir, is what I call a Freudian typo!   :wink:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 05:17:21 PM »
MSL and BIKE from the UK are the only two worth reading. 

Motorcycle Classics for, well, the classics is also fine reading.  All these make motorcycle.com and Rider look like kindergartners wrote them.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 05:19:10 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here