Author Topic: Computer Help Needed Please  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Computer Help Needed Please
« on: December 10, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
So, I am busy reading on our computer when the screen changes. :huh:

As a background, our tv in the lounge is linked to the computer (a desktop) by an HDMI cable so I can watch a movie or photos on the big screen if I so desire. When the tv is turned on the computer screen goes black for one or two seconds and it gives a few beeps, then resumes normally. This has been set up like this for months and works fine.

It did the same carry on while I was reading, except one, the tv was not being turned on and the screen returned HUGE.

Went in to the screen resolution and it was still set on the original setting. Tried all the others but nothing was how it originally was.

Did a reset to the last restore point and everything was fine (I think from memory it was a windoze update).

Went back to my reading and after say 20 minutes it did the same thing again. Checked back and the next restore point was a day or so earlier , and it had not yet redone the windoze update.

At the moment I have reset the screen to 1400 x 1050, which is not bad but does give a stretched view. All those beatiful photos of Guzzis that get posted tend to look long and low.

Any ideas on what has happened? We are running windoze 10 with the classic shell. Any ideas welcome.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Computer Help Needed Please
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »
Sounds like it might be downloading and installing a new video driver. You may be able to go to the video driver, roll it back to a previous driver, and set it to not update the driver.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 02:34:59 PM »
Thanks Wayne. Will try that.

03 Breva

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
Bingo Wayne!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It had not actually done an update since the 25th of July but I rolled back to the previous version and it all came right. When I first went in to the menu it said no driver was installed  :rolleyes: but one click along and it listed it.

You guys and gals on this site are the best. :thumb:
03 Breva

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:15:29 PM »
I screwed around with HDMI cables to my laptop until I got a Chromecast.  Works great for $30.  Highly recommended. 

This was after my laptop fell off a shelf watching Fans Choice and broke the HD.   Go with wireless. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 02:07:14 AM »
The HDMI works fine John; been installed for months and no probs.

Computer is a desktop, I hate laptops in spite of their convenience. I researched for months looking at "best bang for the buck" parts, and put the orders in the day Windoze 7 was released. It has been very reliable and is still remarkably quick. Other than needing a new hard drive before W10 would install and a couple of ram sticks it has been anvil like in it's operation. Enough that this wee hiccup made me go "huh'.
03 Breva

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 01:01:11 PM »

At the moment I have reset the screen to 1400 x 1050, which is not bad but does give a stretched view. All those beatiful photos of Guzzis that get posted tend to look long and low.

And people will all look short and fat.  Is that what you really want?  High def television is 1920 x 1080, a lot of movies are wider screen format, but since you cannot increase the width of your screen, you have to reduce the height.  It should do this automatically.

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »
Sounds like Muzz has is resolved I think... if it happens again, maybe set your dual screen to be a "duplicate" of the computer monitor instead of if being "extended", which would treat the TV as a second monitor and it's automatically finding the resolution for that when you turn on the TV, which works, but I'm suggesting this if it keeps happening and you can't resolve it. The downside to the "duplicate" setting is that you'll have to pick a resolution that works best for both, or you change it to whichever optimum resolution for the monitor you are working on at the moment. For watching movies, some (most?) players (highly recommend VLC Player) will adjust to the movies' native resolution (independent from the actual monitor's resolution). Photos, a little different. For that, I recommend Irfanview.

I'm out of recommendations for the day.  :azn:

Good luck.

Edit: OP Name..
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:50:56 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
And people will all look short and fat.  Is that what you really want?  High def television is 1920 x 1080, a lot of movies are wider screen format, but since you cannot increase the width of your screen, you have to reduce the height.  It should do this automatically.

I tried that Dave. However, it said that resolution was not supported.

After going to the previous iteration it now is. :rolleyes:

Edit; I did not actually try the tv. It was the computer screen that went bananas.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:57:18 PM by Muzz »
03 Breva

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here