Author Topic: Miami & The Keys..Where to go? NGC  (Read 14821 times)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Miami & The Keys..Where to go? NGC
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »
Thanks for all the tips on were to go!  
I'm getting over the sticker shock of rooms in the Keys...... I travel for business in 7 states and spent 4 nights on the road for the same price as a night in the Keys.
I'll have to prep my "drop wallet".   An old wallet with expired license and expired/closed credit cards with walking money.  The real one is hidden.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:25:25 PM by John Ulrich »
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 06:10:48 AM »
Another vote for the Green Parrot Bar in KW. 

dilligaf

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 07:14:37 AM »
As posted earlier, well worth the visit. 
 http://www.gotothekeys.com/dry-tortugas-trips.htm
Here is some information about camping.  Bring your own water.  The only water available to the public is one small water fountain that you can just about drink from.  It was almost impossible to fill a small water bottle.
http://www.drytortugas.com/key-west-camping?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Bcamping%20%2Bft%20%2Bjefferson&utm_campaign=All%2BDevices%2BFlorida
 :BEER:
Matt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »
As always, this board is a fount of practical and useful information.   ;-T

Reading this thread has saved me a LOT of potential time and expense for places I might want to put on my list to go to and see!   Miami and South Florida are somewhere on the list after Fallujah, Port-au-Prince,  and Mogadishu ....  :P

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »
Great baklava and strong coffee, almost as good as in constantonople, in fallujah  these days, rumor has it!

mike :-)

Sounds like the Blues Brothers band discussing the food in the various penal institutions .... the Thursday night pepper steak in Joliet, the cabbage roll at the Terre Haute federal pen, and the oatmeal in the Cook County slammer ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »
I guess this should be no surprise- but one of the things i most regret in the Miami area is the final snuffing out of anything that seemed, well, wild. When i lived down there in the early 80,s, there was still very much the sense that you were perched between the coastline and the vast reaches of the Everglades. Going up the rivers was very much like a trip in the Heart of Darkness. Coconut Grove was vibrant, yet still had a lush feeling that always reminded you that you had crossed over into the tropics. I never went on a tour into the 'Glades, but i'd like to. It's an interesting and unique native piece of America. It's too bad that development all the way down the East Coast has hidden it.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

dilligaf

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
I guess this should be no surprise- but one of the things i most regret in the Miami area is the final snuffing out of anything that seemed, well, wild. When i lived down there in the early 80,s, there was still very much the sense that you were perched between the coastline and the vast reaches of the Everglades. Going up the rivers was very much like a trip in the Heart of Darkness. Coconut Grove was vibrant, yet still had a lush feeling that always reminded you that you had crossed over into the tropics. I never went on a tour into the 'Glades, but i'd like to. It's an interesting and unique native piece of America. It's too bad that development all the way down the East Coast has hidden it.

I was last in Miami in the late 80's and that is how I remember it. I was working a job in South Miami and I, along with my wife, enjoyed it. As posted earlier I think we missed quite a bit by not speaking Spanish.  :BEER:
Matt

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »
Reading this thread has saved me a LOT of potential time and expense for places I might want to put on my list to go to and see!   Miami and South Florida are somewhere on the list after Fallujah, Port-au-Prince,  and Mogadishu ....  :P

But then you are going to miss out on things like this awesome ride I took last year across south central Florida.
(repeat it for about an hour for the full effect)
http://youtu.be/dm_NOzuCwOw
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

dilligaf

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I think I'll limit my visits to Tampa and north. I do however have some friends who are currently sailing in the keys and their face book postings are bringing back some good memories.  ;D   :BEER:
Matt

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
Had a great weekend in South Beach Miami!  Did a food tour/ history walk..... saw a few buildings used in films.....Scarface, Miami Vice etc.  The night life along Ocean Blvd was great for car & people watching.  Joes Stone Crab was a great place for a meal.  Lots to see walking the area.  I'm thinking we should of spent another day in Miami.....great vibe at least to me & Louise.  Down in the Keys now.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 02:26:23 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I think I'll limit my visits to Tampa and north. I do however have some friends who are currently sailing in the keys and their face book postings are bringing back some good memories.  ;D   :BEER:
Matt
North of Tampa - try Cedar Key, where Old Florida still resides.  LAID BACK
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here