Author Topic: Grappa Question  (Read 14741 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Grappa Question
« on: February 25, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
You might've guessed that I am a novice when it comes to booze and dope (judging by RK's recent thread) .

So I've been aware that Grappa is the Guzzi connoisseurs' drink of choice.  Being the curious type, I went to the biggest local liquor store and all I could come with is Grape Brandy (which popped as a match on my cell phone). 

So did I get Grappa, did I get anything close to Grappa?  If not, I'll have to get rid of it.   ???
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
Re: Grappa Question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
Talk to Bill Hagan he's the resident Grappa expert.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
You need one of the BevMo type of stores, they have a fairly good selection of Grappa, they may be able to order it for you, but you never know what you will get.  Bad grappa is bad, and good grappa is, well, less bad ~;

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »
I don't think so Johnny, pretty sure grappa is distilled wine. The grappa I had one time was a little higher proof than a brandy maybe 100 proof.

I ran 5 gal. of a buddy's homemade wine through the whisky machine here a while back, it was pretty nice stuff. Running 5 gal of applejack saturday.

Made from stems and seeds! we know all about that don't we???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grappa
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:31:54 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »
Oh boy, I thought reading the title to this thread Lowryter was trying to sneak in an oil thread on us.  ;-T

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 06:52:09 PM »
Bad grappa is bad, and good grappa is, well, less bad ~;

I concur!
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
MMmmm  Lighter Fluid, yummy on the tummy!
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline double.d

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:11:18 PM »
A few mouthfuls of Metholated Spirits mixed with any choice of flavouring will get you just as high as a good Grappa.
1986 Le Mans IV Black Since New
2014 K1300 R Black German Starship.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »
Pretty sure that French stuff you bring to CV is not any port in the storm  :D

Dusty

That's conjak MMMmmmMMMmMMmMMmMMm mMMm ;-T nectar of the gods!

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »
That's conjak MMMmmmMMMmMMmMMmMMm mMMm ;-T nectar of the gods!

Yeah , the only two times I've ever drank cognac , gotta admit , Mike sharing with us was damn special .

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »
  So literally and figuratively seeds and stems . Interesting , always thought grappa was some expensive exotic type of wine you guys were talking about . Should have known better  ;D

Dusty

Yep. I was going to post seeds and stems, but you beat me to it. Like most booze, it's an acquired taste.. Still, when you're going to fire up your fresh Guzzi engine, a toast to Luigi with Grappa is required.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »
Grappa is incredibly diverse.  There is some real battery acid stuff and some jet fuel stuff and then there is the sublime.  Trader Joe's will occasionally have a passable grappa.  BevMo usually carries two levels; the rough stuff and then some rare, exquisite stuff.  For starters, see if you can find anything by Jacopo Poli.  His "Sarpa" is especially easy on the tongue but yet very powerful and widely available.  The Poli Cleopatra is really stupendous.  Unfortunately, it is not imported to the west coast, but is available in the east coast DC area. None of these are for the feint of heart.
http://www.poligrappa.com/ita/
I just toured the distillery in December.  I specifically bought two bottles of the Guzzi Airone Rosso, but that was an aperitif, not a grappa.
http://www.poligrappa.com/ita/linea-poli-museum_liquori/aperitivo-di-poli.php
We have a few wineries in California who do produce their own distilled grappe.  Mosby out of Buellton comes to mind.  Also St. George Spirits from the old Alameda NAS has a few very delicate varieties. I have about twenty varieties in my library.  Stop by for a swig.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 07:29:12 PM »

Grappa!!! ;-T ;-T

It grows hair on your stomach and kills the worms.
Love it and have a small storage of it always available. I am a sucker for Grappa Chianti Classico, but just like with beer... will never spit on offered one.

Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
Here's your Guzzi connection to Grappa.

I was restoring my Guzzi SuperAlce and the manual said I needed a piece of "filo di ferro".  Roughly, that means iron wire.  It is used as a safety wire for the plug which closes the sludge trap in the crank journal.

But, there is a grappa branded as "Filo di Ferro".  Why?  Because rural grappa is mostly bootlegged, white-lightning and illegal.  How do you make liters of the stuff without getting caught?  Easy.  use coat hanger wire and wrap that around the neck of the bottle.  Take it out to the pig sty and bury the bottle with the post hole digger.  Cut off the exposed wire about a cm above pig slop level.  The 'revenuer' can't find your stash.  When you need it, just go to the sty on your hands and knees and slide your hands around in the slop until you snag the tip of w wire.  VOILA!  Hence, the modern brand name reverts to rural technology.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 07:38:08 PM »
wait....so if I have Grape Brandy, wouldn't that be better than Grappa which is made from seeds and stems vs the whole grape?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Frulk

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 08:16:02 PM »
So I've been aware that Grappa is the Guzzi connoisseurs' drink of choice.

It appears I didn't get that memo

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:16:25 PM by Frulk »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
  At one point it has methanol in it, you know, wood alcohol.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »
wait....so if I have Grape Brandy, wouldn't that be better than Grappa which is made from seeds and stems vs the whole grape?

Better? that depends on what you like. Not really comparing apples to apples John. Is Brandy more drinkable? probably yes. Grappa to Italians is a little like moonshine to Ozarkians :BEER: :BEER:

Either one is GREAT with a little Orange Kush ;D

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 09:55:04 PM »
Johnny, everything is better with a little OK.  (So I am told ;D )

At least in Alaska or Colorado.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:55:37 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Bill Hagan

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »
Talk to Bill Hagan he's the resident Grappa expert.

Dean

I only wish I had some just now.

Have been near bedridden here in Atlanta with some nasty virus since this past Saturday, so some grappa would be comforting.   ;)

As soon as I get home Friday, I can assure you I'll have some for its therapeutic value.

Actually, the url that Dean posted, along with some of Patrick, Green1000s, and some others' comments tell the great grappa story pretty well.

I am feeling "too puny" (as my Kentucky hill folk were wont to say) to respond in detail, but I will say that I really prefer the "rustic" (code for cheap) grappas over the fancy versions for most purposes.

If I survive my present bout of self pity, I'll add more, but in the meantime, LowRyter, I would buy something cheap now over the high end, but don't expect a single-malt sort of sipping experience.  

Sorry I crashed the Griso on the way to the SSR in '13, as Kathi had "a few representative bottles" in the Mini.  ;D

Back to writhing and whining,

Bill

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:43:06 PM by Bill Hagan »

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 10:44:31 PM »
 We were not aware of your current discomfort Bill , get well .

Dusty

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 11:24:25 PM »
What Patrick said earlier. Poli is good -- and pricey. Castellare is also good. And pricey. You do get what you pay for. The best value out there that I've found (cheap Guzzi content) is, if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, Poggio Basso in 375ml bottles for $10. As good as some for twice as much, and about $15 at BevMo.
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

EVDavid

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 05:52:36 AM »
Down here, Italian border, you have the choice of warmed or cool Grappa. I prefer the warmed and from intensive tests find that more than two is usually a mistake. ( gets more complicated in that I have a source in Bulgaria also).

The Greek equivalent of Tsiparo, the local brewed stuff and not the commercial rubbish, is stronger and should be treated with caution. I once exceeded my tolerance level and have a faint memory of lying on a bench in the port of Piraeus drinking mango juice the next morning.

Diabetes has now put a stop to those shenanigans!

Enjoy.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 07:41:27 AM »
Toasted Luigi, and the Aero engine lit right off. It's been fine ever since, so I have to endorse the magical properties of Grappa.. ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »
I was always told (and found it to be true) by old Sicilians that it aids in digestion of a large meal.

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
In the words of Homer Simpson:
"It passed the first test: I didn't go blind."

Grappa is my least favorite of the digestivi. I'm a Ramazotti or Molinari Sambuca guy after a nice meal.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
I will third or fourth or whatever the Poli recommendation -- I can't really afford it, but I've tasted a couple of their offerings.  The kind of bottle that comes in its own box (actually a cylindrical container.)  Heavenly, it's real good.  On the other extreme, the Portuguese call it aguardente bagaceira, and the stuff I have is probably a good example of bad grappa.

But if there's none to be found?  I'd say check for pisco.  It isn't the same, but some similarities, and since it isn't made of waste materials, it's usually less expensive.  (Hm, did that make sense?  Maybe it did not, but it is less expensive.)

Bill Hagan

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:09 AM »
Down here, Italian border, you have the choice of warmed or cool Grappa. I prefer the warmed and from intensive tests find that more than two is usually a mistake. ( gets more complicated in that I have a source in Bulgaria also).

The Greek equivalent of Tsiparo, the local brewed stuff and not the commercial rubbish, is stronger and should be treated with caution. I once exceeded my tolerance level and have a faint memory of lying on a bench in the port of Piraeus drinking mango juice the next morning.

EVD ... was that possibly in 1978?  I was in Piraeus and may have been similarly suffering on a nearby bench.  My memory, too, is (happily) faint.   :BEER: ;D

In the words of Homer Simpson:
"It passed the first test: I didn't go blind."

Grappa is my least favorite of the digestivi. I'm a Ramazotti or Molinari Sambuca guy after a nice meal.

As for "digestives,” I’ll be typically dogmatic, i.e., always certain; sometimes right: There’s only one effective Italian digestive …

:D

Seriously, have never really understood sambuco.  Always seemed an Italian version of (deservedly cursed) retsina (see response to EVDavid, above).  Blech.

But, back to grappa.

Lying here on my death sickbed in Atlanta, I reviewed this thread this a.m. while feeling seriously sorry for myself.

Made me wish I had a caffe corretto rightdamnnow.

But, it’s not to be.  Yet.

So, anyway, Michael Gies sent me this interesting piece: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31585550

Whoa.  Some hurtful phrases in there.   ;D

Seriously, a very interesting read, tho I am more a proponent of the classic harsher grappas than the "sissy” grappas the article indictaes are the future.

Of course, I note the article avoids talking about the ’90’s yuppie burst of enthusiasm that fizzled like a bottle of prosecco left open all night.  One could then find dozens of grappas at the higher-end Italian eateries in the U.S.  Now, fewer.  Maybe that’ll come back.  I won't be ordering any.

Yes, I can be a decorated foot soldier in the Army of the Effete (all elite infantry units, as you might guess!), but, for me, it is the rustico grappas that light my various fires.  After all, it was those incendiary beverages that got the Alpini and others of the ragazzi del '99 through the horrific battles and winters at 3000M back in 1914-18.  See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Front_(World_War_I)  Used to see WI Italian vets at village festivals in the late '70's.  All gone now.  God bless them.   :bow

Bill

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »
get well soon, Mr H.  Hope you don't have the measles.  Yes, I missed you at the '13 Spineframe Deal, I was at Docc's place when you called him after the get off. 

I can't find Grappa, I did get a bottle of cheap Grape Brandy which is as close to Grappa as I can find (at the largest liquor store in the state- no state liquor stores like VA).

Here's what I was able to find:

"Grappa is obtained by distilling the grape pomace, which is the solid part of the grape (skins and seeds), while a Grape Brandy is obtained by distilling the fermented grape, therefore the solid and liquid part of the grape together.

As a result, the grape brandy is placed halfway between a Grappa (obtained by distilling a solid raw material like grape pomace) and a Wine Brandy (obtained by distilling a liquid raw material such as wine), being distilled from both the solid and the liquid part.

A grape brandy is normally more elegant and fruitier than a Grappa, which vice-versa by nature is more intense and structured."

Looks like I'll just have to get rid of it   :BEER:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:15:00 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here