Author Topic: The bucket list rides begin: which one first?  (Read 11319 times)

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
The bucket list rides begin: which one first?
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »
There is some Guzzi content here, because this first ride, and probably most of these BL rides will be on the Norge, assuming it continues to run as well as it has over the last 20K miles (ODO now shows 45K).

I'm semi-retired now, only work half-time during the school year; off completely for the entire summer. I've put together a bucket list including a dozen or so long MC rides, and I intend to knock off 2-3 rides from the list this summer. The first big ride will start on May 10 and will be 10-11 days in length (got to be somewhere with the wife on May 21).  I've narrowed the first ride down to 2 possibilities:

1. Stop to see daughter and granddaughter in Ft. Collins, CO. From there spend 5-6 days riding around CO, southern WY, maybe eastern UT, and northern NM, then head home by way of Ft. Collins. I absolutely love riding in all of these areas. However, I am only likely to ride on roads that I have ridden on before (in some cases recently, others many years ago). Not that this is a bad thing, but maybe a bucket list should be about new experiences (not sure, never had a bucket list before). The big negative about this trip is the width (and, to me, the boredom) of that flat expanse between here (N KY) and there (the eastern slope of the Rockies). Over the past 45 years, I have crossed the Great Plains two to four times each summer; due to plate tectonics Kansas and Nebraska are getting significantly wider each year; I cringe each time I look at a map of either state (sorry, no disrespect intended). Do I really want to spend 4 of 11 days getting between home and where I really want to be?

2. Head to the Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina/Tennessee, camp for a day or two, than on to Suches, GA and the great roads near there (many of them will be new to me). Next, onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sandy and I rode for a few hours on the very southern end of the Parkway two summers ago; I really liked it, and might want to try to ride the entire length of it. The upside of this choice: no great "barrier" to cross (I know, it is only a barrier in my head, and the way I approach the ride), and I will ride on roads that I have not yet experienced on a bike. The possible down side: I drove most of the length of the Parkway in a pickup many years ago; loved the first 50-75 miles, then found it redundant and boring (and slow). Will I feel the same way about it now that I'm 66 instead of 22 YO, and now that I'll be on a bike instead of in a Chevy 1/2 ton?

Anyway, this is my thinking for now; might change the plans over the next few weeks. Many of the other trips on my list will require a lot more time than 10-11 days. When I start planning those, I might ask you all for some route/lodging/must-see-sight suggestions,

Comments are welcomed,

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

oldbike54

Re: The bucket list rides begin: which one first?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »
 The trick to enjoying the plains is to stay on secondary roads and treat each small town as an oasis . Small Kansas and Nebraska towns often have interesting history , take the time to do a bit of poking about , will give you something to think on while riding on the straight and flat . Oh , and Music , loud road songs  :D

Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »
  If my legs still worked I would want to do the Arctic ocean to Punta Arenas down the Rockies, across the Darian gap and down Andes.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:11:54 PM »
The plains suck. Sorry, Daniel  ;D.. but they do. For me. Hour after hour of droning along. It's almost as bad as Indiana/Illinois.  ;D
I prefer to tow the bike to the rockies, then ride the bucket list roads. Just knock off 5-600 mile days in relative comfort, then.. do Chief Joseph, Beartooth, Going to the sun, the 99 miles of curves following the Lewis and Clark expedition, Sprial highway.. then back.. load up, and cannonball home. As far as I'm concerned, there's no shame in blowing off the (boring) plains.  ~; ;D
YMMV, of course..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:11:54 PM »

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
Blue Ridge Parkway is like a fine wine, just enjoy the beautiful vistas and perfectly manicured road with little traffic.
2009 Norge, Staintune, Helibars, lower pegs, Russell seat, Matris fork kit and shock, more to come...
2008 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »
The plains suck. Sorry, Daniel  ;D.. but they do. For me. Hour after hour of droning along. It's almost as bad as Indiana/Illinois.

Man; if I had to drone along hour after hour it'd suck for me, too.  So, don't do that!

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:17:39 PM »
There is plenty of great riding on the eastern side. You could ride one hell of a way up north into Canada and back down. Sounds like you've been out west quite a bit. I tRG to make myself go into area's unknown and seam to enjoy that more than the same stuff all the time.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:22:30 PM »
Man; if I had to drone along hour after hour it'd suck for me, too.  So, don't do that!

;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »
Take the long way.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 09:44:25 PM »
I think the planes are a beautiful peaceful place. Stay off the big slab and stop to smell the roses now and then. But I'll still take my Ozark Mountian Country. Hey, it's close <shrug>
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 10:10:28 PM »
I would like to do the Lincoln Highway from end to end, and the Jefferson Highway from end to end. And as many of the old "Auto Trails" from the 20s that I could find time for. You'd really see the country that way. You might check out this link and see if you find a route that floats your boat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_trail
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green
2000 V11 Bassa - pearl white (the one I sold)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »
My bucket list starts small; when the ice and snow have melted from my driveway I'd like to ride to Braeburn for lunch.
Maybe this year I will even return with my gear lever.

Regarding the plains being boring; I disagree entirely... though I have never been there. I'm fascinated by both the rural and the urban landscapes. When I look at the photo-tours of the midwest and that dying way of life that some of you post; I wish didn't live 4000 km north of a starting point. Would I give up living in the Kalahari North for life in a more southerly small town? Never. But I would like month to just tootle about. The pictures I've seen show a breath-taking landscape and a way of life to be appreciated.
Soon it is nothing more than memories of dust on a clydesdales feathers.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 11:05:31 PM »
 Konnie , the plains way of life isn't dead yet . Yeah , not many small farms and ranches left , but there are still folks living and thriving out in the middle . Come visit , you will get a warm welcome .

Dusty

Bill Hagan

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 06:36:57 AM »
I really don't have a list of "musts," especially as I am blessed with day rides (and beyond) that others dream about right out my door.

Moreover, now that the weather is so fine, I'll be doing my monthly 1200-miler r/t visits to Mom in Atlanta on one of the Guzzis in the harem instead of the cage.  There are many ways to ride that general axis, but my favorite includes running the angle down SR 42 through most of Virginia.  [Thanks to Dean Rose for introducing me to that and other nearby sweet roads some years ago.]  Before and after that, I go where whim takes me.

But, WRT even longer trips, planning the ride to Swanzey in June has gotten me to thinking about a fat man's version  :D of the Appalachian Trail, i.e., riding the spine of the Appalachians from top to bottom or vice versa. 

As you likely know, there are varying views of what constitutes the Appalachian chain, and an expansive view would say it runs from Canada to Mississippi.  But, I suspect one could be a "thru-hiker" thru-rider of the infinite grand roads along, below, above, and near for a lifetime.

Buon viaggio to all in riding their dreams.

Bill

Joe A.

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 07:19:36 AM »
The trick to enjoying the plains is to stay on secondary roads and treat each small town as an oasis . Small Kansas and Nebraska towns often have interesting history , take the time to do a bit of poking about , will give you something to think on while riding on the straight and flat . Oh , and Music , loud road songs  :D

Dusty

Exactly!

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 07:27:12 AM »
You'd think they'd now know that by looking at all of your posts that NO, the plains are not boring.  If you want to stay on the Interstate, then P&M.

I'll continue to enjoy the lonely bring plains like I have been doing for decades.
Tex

dilligaf

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 07:55:33 AM »
  Get some paper road maps and pick only state or county roads that are going in your general direction.  Make limited use of US highways and make a point to avoid Interstates.  If camping plan on being underway around 0800 and stop for breakfast at a Mon and Pop.  Skip lunch but do a "fat pill" break around 1400 and plan on where you are going to camp for the night. Pick up something to cook for supper and try to be in camp by 1700.  After supper plan  the next days ride. If you do not know how to cook-learn. Write the directions on paper and put under your tank bag window. Have a trip log and record the days activities-years from now you will be glad you did.  I use a 10" pad with a word program.  I also use it to process and post my pictures to WG and store my eBooks.  Do your "fat pill" stop at a place with Wi-Fi.    When you get lost turn on the GPS.  Once back on track turn it off. And last but not least if you have a schedule-stay home.   ;D  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »
Konnie , the plains way of life isn't dead yet . Yeah , not many small farms and ranches left , but there are still folks living and thriving out in the middle . Come visit , you will get a warm welcome .

Dusty, I'm certain of a warm welcome. We're country folk here too. The number of vacant buildings in some towns (in the photos) is what leads me to believe there is an out migration. If there is an empty store front here on Main Street someone snaps it up and opens some sort of business.
I'd love to come down but it is an 8000km round trip. On a V7. I'll just hope for more photo tours. :)
However, if you want to come on up; the door's open... just don't trip on the dogs.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »
Another vote for staying on the small roads. You could follow the Missouri River Valley for most of your trip. Definitely not flat and straight. While the Colorado Rockies are a fine destination, my new all time favorite is the Four Corners area including all of Southern Utah.

Pete

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »
It's 1250 miles from Independence KY to Fort Collins CO via 71, 64, and 70.  I think I'd probably choose the trailer, too, if my time was limited.

As far as seeing CO, southern WY, maybe eastern UT, and northern NM in 5-6 days, I'm not sure you will see much trying to cover all those places in that little amount of time.

But, I'll suggest some things:

Southern WY:  Medicine Bow Mountains.  Head west from Laramie on 130.  Then south to Encampment WY, and on to Walden CO.  You could then run Poudre Canyon back down to Fort Collins for the night, a 300 mile loop.  Or, head west from Encampment on 70 and then south to Craig CO on 13, a 250 mile day.  https://goo.gl/maps/FfbDJ

Eastern UT:  The southeastern part of the State is my favorite.  Getting there from Craig CO is fun!  Mesa, Delta, Gateway, La Sal, then Moab.  Helluva 400 mile day: https://goo.gl/maps/TbvXZ

From Moab, down to Blanding on 191 then up 95 to the northern terminus of 276, then down to Bull Frog marina and cross Lake Powell on the ferry.  Then 276 back to 95, and 261 over Cedar Mesa and down Moki Dugway to Mexican Hat.  Another 400 mile day. https://goo.gl/maps/gPRKI

Northern New Mexico:  US-64 is a fantastic road all the way across the top of New Mexico.  Be sure an stop at Brazos Overlook, just east of Tierra Amarilla.  Then enjoy ride down into Taos. https://goo.gl/maps/V9UB9

Back to Fort Collins:  A little bit of I-25, but the rest of this day will be a good one. https://goo.gl/maps/0jXdQ
It's a 500 mile day, but could be shortened (and straightened) to 350 miles by running 285 all the way north. https://goo.gl/maps/acDDu

Hope this helps.  There's lots to see and do in that part of the country...  Let me know if you want suggestions on accommodation or dining...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:30:35 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »
  If my legs still worked I would want to do the Arctic ocean to Punta Arenas down the Rockies, across the Darian gap and down Andes.

I don't think you can get across the Darien Gap even now.   People have done it by putting their bike on a raft and having it pulled through the swamps at a huge cost in sweat and local help, but you can't "motorcycle" across it ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 09:19:39 AM »

It's 1250 miles from Independence KY to Fort Collins CO via 71, 64, and 70.  I think I'd probably choose the trailer, too, if my time was limited.

Ah, but like dilligaf said ... If your time is limited (ie, you have a schedule), then for Bucket List purposes, you might as well stay home.   

Lannis (can you you tell I'm newly retired?   :D )

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 09:38:58 AM »
Ah, but like dilligaf said ... If your time is limited (ie, you have a schedule), then for Bucket List purposes, you might as well stay home.   

Lannis (can you you tell I'm newly retired?   :D )

Saddlesore1000 is one of my bucket list things.  I've got two certified.  I'd be real tempted to knock out the Kentucky > Fort Collins run in one day on the bike.  But I know most people would not.

Most people would want to do the 1250 miles over three days on a bike.  It's an easy two day run in a car.  It would probably come down to my mood.  I've done rides like that both ways, trailer and ride.

And I'm one of the few who has grown to enjoy the ride across The Plains between The Ozarks and The Rockies.  There is a lot more to see and do than you might first expect...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »
Lots of interesting comments and some great suggestions....

One clarification: when I ride I don't make frequent stops to smell the roses or to check out historic buildings in small towns; it's just not what I enjoy. I am happiest riding mile after mile, preferably on scenic twisty roads. Getting from N KY to Ft. Collins in a day and 1/2 on a bike is no big deal.

I thoroughly enjoy reading every one of Daniel K's ride reports, and I understand why so many MG riders approach MC trips in a similar manner. But that way of travel is just not for me. When I am slamming away the miles, my head clears, I develop a sense of purpose, and I smile the whole time (well, not when it is pouring rain). The smile is much broader on a route like the Beartooth Highway than it is on Interstate 70, though.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
Saddlesore1000 is one of my bucket list things.  I've got two certified.  I'd be real tempted to knock out the Kentucky > Fort Collins run in one day on the bike.  But I know most people would not.

Most people would want to do the 1250 miles over three days on a bike.  It's an easy two day run in a car.  It would probably come down to my mood.  I've done rides like that both ways, trailer and ride.

And I'm one of the few who has grown to enjoy the ride across The Plains between The Ozarks and The Rockies.  There is a lot more to see and do than you might first expect...

Different strokes for different folks .... Grinding out 1000 miles in a day on a bike is exactly the opposite of pleasure for me; that would be a "job".    I'm more the "go a long way in a long time" sort of guy, and I DO like stopping in little towns and looking over the local historic buildings and taking little side trips to see a covered bridge or something.   If I have to "make time", I might do 500 miles in a day on the big roads, but that's not my favorite part of the trip!

Lannis

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 10:17:02 AM »
Go West young man!

(that's what I want to do anyway)

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »
Lots of interesting comments and some great suggestions....

One clarification: when I ride I don't make frequent stops to smell the roses or to check out historic buildings in small towns; it's just not what I enjoy. I am happiest riding mile after mile, preferably on scenic twisty roads. Getting from N KY to Ft. Collins in a day and 1/2 on a bike is no big deal.

Look at the map links I've provided.  From experience, riding 400 miles in The Rockies is a good day of riding. 

On most of my trips to The Rockies, it's been:  breakfast.  Ride 100-200 miles.  lunch.  ride 100-200 miles. check into a motel.  eat dinner.  sleep.  repeat the next day.

On some trips, I've stayed in a town for two or three nights, and spent time enjoying the local scene.  Taos, Santa Fe, Moab, Ouray.

One time, I stayed four nights in Mexican Hat and each day did a different loop. 

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Bill Hagan

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »
Different strokes for different folks .... Grinding out 1000 miles in a day on a bike is exactly the opposite of pleasure for me; that would be a "job".    I'm more the "go a long way in a long time" sort of guy, and I DO like stopping in little towns and looking over the local historic buildings and taking little side trips to see a covered bridge or something.   If I have to "make time", I might do 500 miles in a day on the big roads, but that's not my favorite part of the trip!

Lannis

Second the motion ... with stops.  Heck, even if my heart was in slogging for mile after mile -- which it's not -- my body overrules it.   :D

On most of my trips to The Rockies, it's been:  breakfast.  Ride 100-200 miles.  lunch.  ride 100-200 miles. check into a motel.  eat dinner.  sleep.  repeat the next day.

I like that approach.  Have ridden (once but never twice  ;)) with folks who like to front-load miles before breakfast.  I think that's communism.  Only time I can stomach that (so to speak) is when the best pancake house in miles is ... well ... in miles.  Prior planning prevents that.   ;D

Bill

oldbike54

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
 I was once a mile eater , never stopping until the bike went on reserve , gas up , get a drink and go . Throttle pulled back , gotta get those miles , obsession , how far is it to that next state line ? Yeah , that can be fun , but doing a "Magical History Tour" is an amazing adventure also . Are you riding through a place , or riding "in" a place ? There is a LONG rider from Belle Fourche SD , 'Ol Griz , 800 miles a day , Alaska , Argentina , there and back , auxiliary fuel tank on a modern GS, stops about every 350 miles . Asked him once at a gas stop in Colorado if he had visited Eastern Oklahoma ? "Yeah , rode through there , green , lots of trees, didn't stop " .

Dusty

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »

I like that approach.  Have ridden (once but never twice  ;)) with folks who like to front-load miles before breakfast.  I think that's communism.  Only time I can stomach that (so to speak) is when the best pancake house in miles is ... well ... in miles.  Prior planning prevents that.   ;D

I only front-load the miles when it's warm, and I have a long way to go.  Departing 4am-6am many times to make the 750 miles ride to Santa Fe or Denver, so I can arrive there and relax a bit before dinner.

When riding in The Rockies, even during the summer, departing early can mean riding in freezing temperatures, where if you wait until after breakfast the sun has warmed it into the 40s or 50s.

And I enjoy a good breakfast when road-tripping.   :food
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here