Author Topic: The bucket list rides begin: which one first?  (Read 11311 times)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: The bucket list rides begin: which one first?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »

Are you riding "through" a place , or riding "in" a place ? 

Dusty,

That's the quote of the day, brother!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
I don't think you can get across the Darien Gap even now.   People have done it by putting their bike on a raft and having it pulled through the swamps at a huge cost in sweat and local help, but you can't "motorcycle" across it ....

Lannis

I know that.  I read the book by the first guy to do it alone.  In fact, I met him at the BMW national in Wisconsin in the early nineties.
 Bought the book from him there.  One of the greatest ride stories ever written.  He's dead now.  Passed a few years after i met him
 from some aweful cancer.  At least he completed his bucket trip.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 11:00:05 AM »
Dusty,

That's the quote of the day, brother!

Absolutely true. However, I live in an area where the only curve is where a surveyor screwed up in the 1700s and there is a jog in the road.  ;D I *love* mountain roads, and would rather just get there.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »
 Thanks Mike , have taken SO much allergy medicine this morning not sure it made sense  ;D
 Chuckie , yeah , riding in the hills and mountains is wonderful , the main reason I stay on the edge of the Ozark plateau . BUT , getting there is half the fun .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »
I will ride just about anywhere, when ever I can.  Slab, two lane, curved, straight.  If I need to eat miles I will hit the fastest interstate and go as fast and as long as I can, if not I will look for the 'long way' around and take my time.  Riding is riding. 

I only drive a cage when I have to, like towing the RV or hauling stuff or when the wife wants to go (no, she won't ride, something about being thrown off the back of a bike in an accident when she was a teen).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
I'm doing my own "Bucket List" ride this summer. I plan to hit places like Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, Kansas, Monument Valley and maybe even Alaska. I hopefully won't have to ride on any Interstates, but I'm pretty sure I will. I've done way too many 1200 mile straight runs over the years, including a couple from Louisville, KY to Colorado Springs. Now, I want to just relax and check out this beautiful country. I want to see America not just the exits on the Interstate. Yes, I love riding in the mountains, but I want to see the plains as well. The places I want to go are so diversified and numerous that I probably won't get to them all; but it should be a magnificent ride, never the less.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 01:22:22 PM »
My bucket list starts small; when the ice and snow have melted from my driveway I'd like to ride to Braeburn for lunch.
Maybe this year I will even return with my gear lever.

[snip]

If you get to Braeburn, say hi to Steve at the lodge.  He's an old biker (looks the part) and crusty in an apathetic sort of way, but if you can get him to talk, he's got some good stories.  -- oh -- and have one of his cinnamon rolls.  They're so big they won't fit in a 3/4 helmet.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »
I'm doing my own "Bucket List" ride this summer. I plan to hit places like Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, Kansas, Monument Valley and maybe even Alaska. I hopefully won't have to ride on any Interstates, but I'm pretty sure I will. I've done way too many 1200 mile straight runs over the years, including a couple from Louisville, KY to Colorado Springs. Now, I want to just relax and check out this beautiful country. I want to see America not just the exits on the Interstate. Yes, I love riding in the mountains, but I want to see the plains as well. The places I want to go are so diversified and numerous that I probably won't get to them all; but it should be a magnificent ride, never the less.

Crusty, your case is different, IMHO. I'd stay off the freakin interstates and take my time. After all.. that's what you are doing on this trip. Dorcia still says that the best vacation she's ever had was when we took the sidecar rig on all the old route 66 roads I could find. Never did more than 300 miles in a day. Once we made the Santa Monica pier, we came back by a different way, but the same method. Only on an interstate when absolutely necessary to get somewhere. The true 'America" is on those back roads and small towns, as Daniel so eloquently shows us. If you have the time..that's the way to travel.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Frulk

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 08:48:41 PM »

One time, I stayed four nights in Mexican Hat and each day did a different loop.  

Mexican Hat is a great place to base camp out of for a number of rides. The small bar right next to the river bridge is where Michael J. Fox used to go to in the evening after filming Back to the Future #2 for some drinks.  And "The Swinging Steak" just up the road does crank out some good ones.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:49:46 PM by Frulk »

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
If you get to Braeburn, say hi to Steve at the lodge.  He's an old biker (looks the part) and crusty in an apathetic sort of way, but if you can get him to talk, he's got some good stories.  -- oh -- and have one of his cinnamon rolls.  They're so big they won't fit in a 3/4 helmet.

I'll say hello for you.
He knows my bike by sound as I come into the yard because I ride in at a polite speed; he likes that.
Any tourist passers by ~ take note: spread the gravel on the way in and you will meet a very crusty guy.
Watched him give flack to a tour bus driver for "driving like a dink" ... in front of the passengers.
All his food is served in quantities over the top. Lot's of it is good too. ;)
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Re: The bucket list rides begin: which one first?
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2015, 12:13:39 AM »
Mexican Hat is a great place to base camp out of for a number of rides. The small bar right next to the river bridge is where Michael J. Fox used to go to in the evening after filming Back to the Future #2 for some drinks.  And "The Swinging Steak" just up the road does crank out some good ones.
San Juan Inn is at the bridge. Swinging  Steak is fun!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here