Author Topic: I lost my Best Friend, my Dog YOGI last Sunday.  (Read 10469 times)

guzzimike

I lost my Best Friend, my Dog YOGI last Sunday.
« on: May 14, 2015, 02:26:06 AM »
His heart gave out as I was holding him, gently comforting him. We were at the Emergency Vet's...

It was very sudden, and unexpected, as we were all assuming that Yogi would be coming home, A-OK..

But it was not to be.

We adopted Yogi in late 2003 from a LA Co shelter. We were given his case by a Shar Pei rescue my wife had contacted when we got our other rescue, Boo-Boo from a private shelter in las Vegas.  This meant that we already had 2 Shar-peis at home , when Yogi came to our attention

Yogi was supposed to be a temporary adoption, till a permanent home could be located. We were racing time, so we contacted the shelter, paid $75 to cover costs and neutering operation, and were told to pick him up at 9:00 am.. When we got to the Shelter and looked for his cage, we found it empty. We panicked hoping that we were not too late or that a mistake had been made..., but were informed that  he had just come out of surgery and we could get him in 5 hours. When we returned, the vet took me down long dar corridors smelling of chemicals. Rooms were stacked with cages, or surgical apparatus. It was somber. The vet suddenly turned into a room and went to open a cage.

Out stepped this large, Muscular Dog , who looked like a Rottweiler, and was obviously drugged . I froze as he came torads me, gently rubbed up against my legs and sat down; as if expecting me all along...I dropped to my knees and hugged him gently..He licked my cheek. The Vet said that this was the gentlest Shar-pei he had ever seen. He was pot On.

Two weeks passed, with Yogis matching personalities with the other two.. One day I was picking up my son from Football Practice. He and 11 teammates wer playing Touch Footbaall. Theywere short one player and invited me to play, which I did foolishly..

I ripped my left hamstring attempting a run a a Post pattern.Not smart. Not at 48 years old. It hurt so much I almost threw up.

Later on that nite, while reaching for the TV remote, I hit the sweet spot and fell off the couvch in intense pain. The Other two dogs, just looked on..Yogi , instead, got off his perch by the window and came to me, touching my frhead with his nose. After that, I told him that we had a covenant; that I would always take care of him, and that when the time came, I wold be at his side. He would not go alone, he would not go with 0nly strange faces all around him.

Yogi had always had issues. Chronic Bronchitis, Heart murmur and seizures 2 - 3 times per year.

All our previous Shra-peis only lived up to 10 years. They all suddenly got Cancer. I had to put them down, each end every one of them.

Yogi outlived all. And when he went, he did it his way. He always did things like that. He was hard headed, and a bit of a rascal. He had A  way to steal the other dog's food treats and hide them under his body. OTOH, he would always share his food plate, especially wih puppies. He was a bit of an A-Hole, but he was cool about it. He was my Best Friend.

About a month ago he got a bad cough. The vets took blood and informed me that all was OK. Days later he got a limp on his right frnt leg. The vet said that it was a sprain, gave me pain pills and noticed some abdominal swelling, which he said was water, probably due to his heart condition.

Last week, I was out of town on a job . when I got home, my wife told me that Yogi was not doing well. He was breathoing labored and not eating. He ate a full package of Ham off y hands and seemed to settle down OK. Saturday, he insisted on being next to me every where I went. That night, his breathing went from labored to OK. I slept next to him on the floor to calm him down during the panic s he suffered. Sunday morning, I took him to the Emergency vets. His gums looked all white, which meant no xygen was being absorbed. He jumpe dinto the car and off we went. At the vets office, he looked feeble, but OK. The vet looked at him and said He's not doing well, I'll et a shot. While he was gone, Yogi sat down. I kneeled down to hold him and pet him, but he collapsed as if in a seizure. White liquid dribbled out of his nose, and then he exhaled clear liquid tainted with blood. He had just died.

It was so sudden that it hit me hard. I held him , crying for 20 minutes. The staff came in with towels and left me alone with my dog. I cleaned up all the body fluids from his face. He had soiled, so I cleaned that all up as well. No Way was anybody going to see my pal Yogi without the dignity with which he had lived all his life.

I had to work Out-of-Town the next two days, so in a way, Yogi called it, I think.He called it so that I was able to keep with the covenant, established that night, back in 2004.

That was Yogi, for you. Always had to get his way.

I miss that f***ing Dog.  He holds a large pice of my heart, forever. He was the Best Dog I have ever had the pleasure to know.

He was my Best Frind.

Offline apex1397

• Hatchling
Re: I lost my Best Friend, my Dog YOGI last Sunday.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 02:56:08 AM »
It's a shame such wonderful companions have such a short life span. So sorry for your loss but glad you were able to be with him in his final moments. I feel certain it was a comfort for him.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 03:33:45 AM »
My heart goes out to you Mike. Thankfully Yogi spent a good portion of his life loved. They go too soon.

John Henry

mradtke

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:35:47 AM »
Brought a tear to my eye man. Pets that become way more than just pets enter our lives and pass through them much too quickly. Enjoy the fond memories you shared, and good on you for being there for him at the end.

Michael

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:35:47 AM »

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:34:52 AM »
Sorry for your loss.
Bob
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:23:50 AM »
That's love dude.  Sorry about this loss - you deserve another great dog and some dog out there deserves you.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:09:22 AM by Nic in North Central MA »
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 05:33:04 AM »
Mike, I've been involved in rescue with shelters and animal control for a very long time.
When your best friend, one that someone dumped because they were moving, or just didn't care about, looks into your eyes,
the first thing I think about is how did I get so lucky?

lucydad

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 05:50:55 AM »
Mike,

I think dogs are God's best expression of love on earth.

May YOGI enjoy dog heaven.  And I believe some day you will be reunited.

The poodles send you a tail wag, and a lick on your hand.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:12:18 AM »
Well written, Mike. I feel your pain..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:17:48 AM »
No words can express the loss.  I am sorry for it  I dread the day ours will go.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

dilligaf

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 07:26:55 AM »
I understand and am sorry for your lost. Over the years we have lost several dags and a couple of cats. Miss them all.
Matt

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »
With either two legged or four legged loved ones, it is never easy. Remember there are others out there needing your care and love when you are ready.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 07:50:36 AM »
 "All in all I've preferred the time spent with dogs." Mark Twain I think .

Dusty

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »
Sorry to hear this.  I've lost a few pets myself and the hurt is indescribable but it will eventually pass. When your ready go to your local sheer and adopt another.  There are many wonderful dogs deserving a kind and caring person like you.

God bless

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 08:36:05 AM »
Condolences.

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 09:10:44 AM »
I really can't add to what has already been said. (I'm typing this with a tear in my eye.) Pets just don't live long enough.  Condolences.
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »
understand your loss and glad you found one another.......

Mark

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 09:55:14 AM »
Grieve him well. Sounds like Yogi was certainly worth it.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
Really sorry you have lost such a great dog. Good for you for giving Yogi a loving home, I hope your sadness gives way to fond memories soon.   Dave and Jessie.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »
Sorry for your loss Mike.  Having been a cat guy for most of my life I had to give it up due to new son's allergies in '01.  Got a dog and ten years later, last Christmas, we had to put her down.  Now I have another, a four year old rescue, and love her too.  Nothing like a dog.

RIP Yogi.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

WFORIDER

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »
My deepest heart felt loss for you Mike....I been through allot of losses..... But Pet loss totally devastates me.

Heres too Puppy Heaven for Yogi.

Salute Yogi

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »
I've been fortunate enough to have a few good dogs.

In each I've stride to give them a better life.

Yogi got the better life.

Be thankful that you were part of his pack and his pack leader.

It's how they see it.

Mark
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2015, 05:11:36 PM »
My heart goes out to you Mike . We lost our little guy last July and some days are still filled with the tears of grieving . We adopted him at 3 yrs. and he was special to us right out of the gate . There was an intelligence there that was uncommon in other dogs , least so we thought . His dedication to us was unwavering and he came everywhere with us except holidays in Mexico or spring ball in Phoenix . At the end of a week or 2 weeks tops we couldn't wait to get home to be with him .
He had a heart murmur as well and we where careful not to miss any vet appointments . It came to our attention at 10 years that his teeth were not good so we had a bunch out and he was fine but last March two of his rear teeth abscessed . At 13 years the vet said he had a good chance of surviving the surgery for removal and he came out of it with no problem . Heavy anti-biotics followed which did not agree with him at all . It was in late June that he started slowing down and darn near couldn't climb the stairs anymore . He went down hill so fast it was hard to believe . What happened was the abscess infection had hit his heart and apparently attacks the heart valves and the older a dog is the more likely it is to happen . The last trip to the vet was a sad one as we where told there was no hope for him and that the suffering would get worse so that was it , held him in our arms him while he went peacefully from the vets injection .
We are going through another adjustment now as we just adopted another dog yesterday . He is 5 years old and a pretty good little guy . Having him has brought up all kinds of feelings up for our Rocky boy again but will hang in there as we both miss having a dog so much . I'll always be grateful for the special relationship we had with Rocky for so many years , never thinking he would go so quickly although 13.5 years is a pretty good age for any dog . This new guy has some pretty big paws to fill but so far we are warming up to him slowly .They say time heals all wounds but I doubt we will ever forget our special relationship with our Rocky boy and my heart will always break a bit when I think of him . There just aren't that many dogs that come along that break the mold . Your not alone in this as I'm sure you are aware and your post has helped me realize this too . My thoughts are with you .     Steve
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

kris

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »
Sorry for your loss.  I had to put my best friend down in 1993 and I still miss him.  Animals give you "unconditional love".

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 05:23:59 PM »
So sorry for your loss, I've been more saddened by the loss of a dog more than some people I've known.I'll never forget wiping my tears on my dog Ike's little head as he passed away :'(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:34:36 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

MotoGoosy

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
The bond between man and dog defies description.  They are such benign, peaceful creatures and add so much to the quality of life.  I made a pact with myself in my career years that if I ever had another dog I would never leave it alone all day.  Got Tora and Parker the year I retired.  Tora is almost 15 now, and I'm preparing myself for life without her, but it just doesn't register.  Since 2002 my life has revolved around Tora and Parker as my mainstay.  To lose one or both of them would be like falling off a cliff without a chute.  Really sorry about Yogi.

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
A Toast to Yogi, and to you for having had that special bond.....

Mine was Zeke, not terribly good looking....but the most tenacious retriever that ever lived.  Couldn't even drive home after we released him from his pain & suffering at 15.  But, I'd do it all over again....in fact I am.....with Toby 🙏

Time will ease that emptiness, and the memories will become a familiar, pleasant visit with Yogi.

And so, let's raise a glass to your best friend!!!!!

Lee

2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

andrewdonald1

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Amazing story Mike, thank you so much for sharing this.
My heart & love goes out to you and Yogi today - May you both find peace.
I also find joy in this story that you found each other and had such an amazing bond, these don't come along very often in our lives.

Andrew.

Offline greyghost

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 07:29:48 PM »
My salute to you and your companion. There's a quote on the internet, and I can't state my source, but its a dog saying "I won't be your best friend for the rest of your life, because I won't live that much. But I WILL be your best friend for the rest of MY life".

I have a 16-yr-old rescue with gray eyebrows and muzzle, who's walks are getting shorter every day. I know, like Yogi, he would want to pass on feeling my touch.

Thanks for sharing.
California 1400 Touring
Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Offline power685

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »
So sorry for your loss. It's so hard when we loose our buddy. Take solice in knowing you gave him a great life.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here