Author Topic: NGC threads. Forum related but no GC.  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
NGC threads. Forum related but no GC.
« on: December 05, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »
Okay, I get the NGC censoring.  I have a question for the moderators.  Why is the VW thread and Tazer flashlight allowed to stay?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:58:31 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

Re: NGC threads. Forum related but no GC.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »
 Mostly because neither one of those topics are political , although a couple of posts have been removed from those two threads . The last time the subject of women in the military came up , a couple of members got really ugly with each other . In the second reply to your original thread we were already swerving towards how evil the govt is . There are hundreds of sites on the internet where discussing politics is fine , but WG isn't one of them . Sorry .

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 05:03:24 PM »
No, problem but shooting a dog.  Don't know about that one.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »
No, problem but shooting a dog.  Don't know about that one.

Unsavory yes , but not really political .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »
Seems non-political should be added to the "Don'ts".  I'd rather have that out in the open.

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »
 OK fellas , I know , sometimes it might be hard to understand why the mods allow certain things , and other topics are off limits . Here is how this works .

First off , neither one of us nuke anything W/O reason , we really try to allow members to discuss a wide variety of subjects . However , Luap gave both of us very explicit instructions re politics and religion . Both are simply not allowed on WG . Even then , we are careful to not be overly sensitive to someone making an offhand comment .

Second , obviously incendiary topics are usually are usually removed early on . As mentioned earlier the last time women in combat came up it generated some nastiness .

Lastly , don't take it personally when you get nuked , it has happened to me , and even now I self nuke every so often . It is simply about keeping the board a civil place .

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »
Frankly, I'm for no motorcycle related topics but because the other topics were allowed.  I did the same.  So NGC shouldn't be posted.  No wine, beer, tobacco threads.  No gun related threads.  That's very political.  I'm a NRA certified coach.  No car threads.  No computer threads.  The Apple guys vs the world thing.  I'm for NGC not to be posted that's what I thought when I first joined.   

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »
 Tom , if we ONLY discussed Guzzi specific topics there would only be maybe  ten post a day on WG . It really is more about the spirit of the campfire , and even then it can be tricky to define why our board is so active . Once again , Luap gives the mods lots of leeway on most things , just not on the two hot button topics . Many people come here for the humor , or to ask questions re cars or home heating systems , just like they might discuss these things at a rally .

One thing , personally I am open to constructive criticism , just keep it civil . Hell , even many of my real life friends have made suggestions , and a couple are tasked with keeping me in line  :grin:

Dusty

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
This board is working perfectly as it is, if you don't want to read a NGC , don't read it. Post some GC!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 05:59:25 PM »
Some of my sentiments were posted a long time ago.  I have noticed the moderator's preference has a lot to do with what's allowed.  So as mentioned in our PM's.  I'm for free speech and I have never whined or complained about the fistfights here.  I'd rather have that in the open.  At real campfire and virtual, no censorship but that's not happening.  I'm still in favor of no NGC topic threads.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 06:00:13 PM »
This board is working perfectly as it is, if you don't want to read a NGC , don't read it. Post some GC!

I think you missed the gist of the thread.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
Evidently
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »

Didn't say that I didn't want to read a NGC.

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 06:17:50 PM »
Didn't say that I didn't want to read a NGC.

Tom , you are contradicting yourself .

Dusty

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 06:34:01 PM »
Is it ok to talk about steel-cut oats?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 06:35:04 PM »
Tom , you are contradicting yourself .

Dusty

How so? 

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 06:57:29 PM »
Some of my sentiments were posted a long time ago.  I have noticed the moderator's preference has a lot to do with what's allowed.  So as mentioned in our PM's.  I'm for free speech and I have never whined or complained about the  I'm still in favor of no NGC topic threads.

I'm with Tom on this, but as long as ngc threads are allowed I join in some times if the subject interests me.   Never been to a campfire where all this other stuff discussed here happens.   Sounds like a women's gathering.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
Keep the variety, but play by the rules. It's really pretty easy.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

canuguzzi

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »
Forum works just fine IMHO. When topics get potentially controversial chances are politics or religion will come into play, sort of a natural thing.

One of my posts got nuked even though I thought is was a PSA but it was the right thing to do because even those can quickly turn into very personal things involving politics and or religion.

IMO, the mods do a very good job here with fairness, understanding and very good standards.

Bravo.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 07:12:50 PM »
IMO, the mods do a very good job here with fairness, understanding and very good standards.

YES! :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »
The rules have always been vague.  The threads that turned into fights were entertaining and allowed to be read and discussed.  Those that couldn't handle would take the back door and complain to the moderators or Luap.  Kind of like muttering under their breath at the real campfire and then complaining to someone else but not addressing the issue directly with the person involved.  In other words not being able to man up.

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 07:34:23 PM »
 Tom , I don't think the issue is folks being willing to "MAN UP " , rather a desire to play by the rules . Luap asks that conflict be either handled through the PM system , or arbitrated by the mods . The gentlemanly nature of WG could be the reason why it continues to grow , while other MC forums are withering on the vine . Remember , sometimes it is actually that guy in Missouri that nukes a thread or a post , he just doesn't have the time to tell the forum .

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
Wrong.  I'm not using the "man up" comment on the moderators or Luap.  It's the ones that can't handle a discussion on an academic level.  It's the same ones that are okay with the subject as long as you agree with them.  Liberal or conservative.  Censorship is not moderating.

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
Wrong.  I'm not using the "man up" comment on the moderators or Luap.  It's the ones that can't handle a discussion on an academic level.  It's the same ones that are okay with the subject as long as you agree with them.  Liberal or conservative.  Censorship is not moderating.

Unfortunately , yes , sometimes it is . If the mods ask for calm , and the heat just keeps getting turned up ...

Look , let's clarify the rules . No politics , no long religous discussions . The other stuff , well , most of us know when we are overstepping the bounds , and if not , that's when the mods , including Luap , have to step in .

Oh , as you well know , I do love a good debate  :laugh: Hell , we have had a couple that were interesting . Just remember the two hard and fast rules .

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 07:58:40 PM »
No sweat.  Like I said before, I've been on the forum from the 2nd page of sign-up.....2 1/2.  I've been a supporter of the forum from Frank's decision give it the official nod to Luap in place of the MGCL.  I was a member of that too.

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »
No sweat.  Like I said before, I've been on the forum from the 2nd page of sign-up.....2 1/2.  I've been a supporter of the forum from Frank's decision give it the official nod to Luap in place of the MGCL.  I was a member of that too.

Really Tom , I look forward to meeting you in person , we probably agree on a whole bunch of
things , both being , er , well ... damn , can't say it here  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
Some people that don't know me or haven't talked with me in person, get the wrong picture from the forum.  Lannis and I have had some vigorous discussions on line.  In person,  just as lively but different if someone was listening in. 

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 08:36:26 PM »
Back to the steel cut oats...I'm a big fan of the English stuff but it's a real PITA to cook.  If you bring it to a boil the night before and let it sit overnight.....Oh, that's NGC.....I'll be quiet for a moment or two.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 08:52:08 PM »
I think you're suppose to soak then cook.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
Some people that don't know me or haven't talked with me in person, get the wrong picture from the forum.  Lannis and I have had some vigorous discussions on line.  In person,  just as lively but different if someone was listening in.

speaking of Lannis...
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here