Author Topic: Oops! I've done it again! - uber rare Italian motorcycle added to collection  (Read 4035 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
I stayed out of this the first time because at the end of the day it's your stuff and whatever makes you happy etc. etc. etc.

But that's a poor analogy. The only purpose of art like that found in the Trevi fountain IS to look at it. It WAS conceived as art first and foremost, designed for looking and contemplation.

The purpose of a motorcycle (or any other machine) is not necessarily to be preserved in a museum on infinitum only for those to gawk at it and wonder about what might have been. The very purpose of a machine, especially one that ignites such passion is to be ridden.

OK, perhaps in the case of a fountain you might say it was also meant to interact with the viewer through the presentation of water, the action/motion being part of the art.

A fountain, even as one as magnificent as Trevi seems somewhat barren and forsaken when dry and dormant.

And as such you can draw further analogies that would suggest keeping a motorcycle idle even as objet d'art is counter the original intent of said art.

But here's the REAL irony, no matter how well one might think they are taking steps to "preserve" such a museum piece the fact of the matter remains that time and LACK OF USE (lack of circulating lubricants, keeping internal bearing surfaces well coated, seals from drying out, fuel system components from corroding or clogging depending on method of storage etc.) will harm the item one is attempting to preserve. The fact is the march of time will take a toll, quite possibly more of a toll on a machine that sits idle than some moderate/gentle usage on the same said machine.

Of course said usage comes with risk, but so does all life.

No matter, congrats, enjoy....

Kev
The vast majority of that was bullshit Kev. Some of it was true, you got your name right!

Offline Skyguyz

• Hatchling
Memory says it was me who last asked another member to give us more pics of an S.O.  :laugh: Thanks Rick , didn't want anyone to think me greedy  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Coming soon.

I hafta fly from Nashville now.

oldbike54

Coming soon.

I hafta fly from Nashville now.

Thinking that might be the priority at the moment  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
The vast majority of that was bullshit Kev. Some of it was true, you got your name right!
Now who is BSing?

Pedantic discussions of art or the logic of analogies aside, the maintenance and usage theory is solid. Not that it matters the vast majority was simply a discussion of relative values and sensibilities. Nothing more than campfire talk.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
It's not something I would mind looking at in my house; like
A museum with a rare piece. I find nothing strange about it.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
Remember the "Art of the Motorcycle" exhibit?  I think it was at the Gugenheim in NYC.  Even got a swell leather jacket from that - last of my serious cycle bling.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Skyguyz

• Hatchling
Memory says it was me who last asked another member to give us more pics of an S.O.  :laugh: Thanks Rick , didn't want anyone to think me greedy  :rolleyes:

Dusty

I have been waiting for someone else to ask, but since no one has, I guess I will.....
Can you please post some more pictures ...of your Girlfriend?
 You are a very lucky man,she is a beautiful woman! :grin:  :gotpics:
Rick.

Well I guess it's ok to do so but I have never been asked to post pix of her on any other MC forum but......She is quite a girl. Loves motorcycles, outdoors, gym, and we dance like fools every chance we get.

After all, it's Vegas baby!

Boulder City on the Honda Rune:

*Downtown Vegas after a few mojitos!

*Now, can we get back to Moto Guzzi's n such?

LOL   :bike-037:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:48:05 AM by Skyguyz »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
I recon if we launched a thread on "when does engineering become art" or worst yet "what is art" we could out post all the "which oil", "which tyres" and "what's the fastest colour" threads combined  :wink:

Still its my 25 wedding anniversary this year and my wife has spied a ring she fancies. I think I could get a very tasty Centauro for my £7k - but it would get ridden - on occasion.

However, I'm more likely to end up with one of these though

Obviously painted in the fastest Maroon & Silver colours  :grin:

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Bellisima! 

You are indeed a lucky man, Sky !
The Rune looks sweet too!
Thanks for posting,
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Jet aircraft are the work of the devil.

:grin: Well, they *do* smell bad. I love the smell of 100LL in the morning.. :wink:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
Nice get!
Does the RC still come with the crate of special racy bits? 
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here