Author Topic: Riding Hairpins  (Read 4817 times)

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
Riding Hairpins
« on: March 15, 2017, 05:07:16 AM »
I live in Lincolnshire where hills are rare and hairpin bends nonexistent.

BUT in May I'm off on a mission to Wales where they have both in abundance......espe cially on the route I have planned.

Any recommendations from the great and good on this forum to avoid my being out in the back of beyond lying under the bike having dropped it on a tricky corner  :bow:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Riding Hairpins
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:37:32 AM »
Go slow..... :evil:

And have fun

Mark

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:18:05 AM »
2 things...

1) more people crash because they THINK they are going too fast.

2) if you think you can or if you think you can't, you're right.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:00:44 AM »
Start slow. True hairpins are a different animal even than sharp, tight turns. After a few miles you will feel much more confident. Maybe try to find and watch some videos of folk on hairpins. It is fun!
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:00:44 AM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:38:43 AM »
  There are only two types of curves, clear sight and blind curves  :grin:...In the case of hairpins where you can see it in advance, that's one thing. With a blind hairpin ,one hidden by trees or terrain, that can be more difficult and any number of surprises may greet you  requiring avoidance maneuvers
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:39:26 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:09:46 AM »
In addition to the visibility issues, hairpins usually involve slopes and elevation changes. For example if you are going uphill approaching a left-hand hairpin, the pavement could be sloping to your right, then it could change quickly to sloping to your left as you round the corner. Off camber hairpins (where the road slopes away from the direction of turn) take more effort. Whereas a banked turn is great fun - the road slope actually helps you turn.

I try to carry a constant speed through the hairpin - braking before, and accelerating after. For uphills, I like to keep a constant light throttle in fairly high RPMs. For downhills, I like to apply light front brake pressure through the curve, so if I need more brake, it doesn't come on suddenly and upset the bike.

Turning your head and looking where you want to go is great advice. Maybe you could find an empty parking lot or someplace to practice doing tight U-turns - that uses the same head-turning technique. If you can do increasingly tighter U-turns, you'll find some similarities to he hairpins.

Enjoy it. Go slow at first, and don't out-ride your vision.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Bill Hagan

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:12:59 AM »

What the others have said.

Hairpins are, IMO, a vacuum.    :sad:

I have never understood why so many folks want to ride the big passes, e.g., Stelvio, Spluga, and others of fame.

I love curves, but riding straight up or down to come every 1/2 K to a near 180 is way less fun than big sweepers and rock & roll "normal" back-road turns. Rite of passage, I suppose.

That who-cares opinion out of the way, to negotiate the worst of those uphill challenge, recommend you consider using trail braking and move off the saddle to the appropriate side.

My biggest concern going up or down, especially in the blind ones that RER mentions, and which are the rule at lower elevations, was less my own competence -- an omnipresent sphincter-tightener  :shocked: -- but worry about others coming over the line.  On the bright side of that, most such tight corners have pretty generous pavement, so I use every bit of those to give the crazies a wide berth.

Enjoy the new challenges; post some pix.  Have always wanted to see Wales.

Bill

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:17:29 AM »
Although wales has a little variable road surfaces look where you want to go, on a guzzi the gear change is so slow is better not to, carry speed and let the motor die off in second it what and then grind out.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
Take up mountainbiking. I've learned some valuable skill sets that cross over to motorcycling.. :bike-037:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »
...way less fun than big sweepers...

I'm with you, Bill.  There are more fun ways to get around a corner.

Stelvio Pass is an example of true multiple zero-radius hairpin turns.  On RH turns, if you were to turn your bars full-lock to the right and just idle around the turn, you will end up in the opposing lane when you're done.  Don't do that.  Yes; if you were to increase your speed and add a bit of lean, you'd be able to turn sharper (but, if you were that person you wouldn't be asking the question).  But, the general technique is to crank your head around and check for traffic coming, and then (if clear) swing out into the opposing lane and smoothly circle around the turn, ending up fully in your own lane.  If you ever end up completing the turn in the wrong lane, you've done it wrong.  Going down, you'll be riding the rear brake; going up, you'll be fanning the clutch.

It's not uncommon to see BMW GS riders with their feet dabbing the ground as they get turned around.  If they lean the bike over in the turn, they can do it easily enough, but when full upright, there's just not enough turning radius for the beast.  It might be embarrassing for them, but that's better than dropping a heavy GS in the turn to the cheers of those up top watching.

Frankly, I find Stelvio Pass about like doing figure-eights in my garage.  The view is spectacular, which is why we love it.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »
After 1000's of miles in the Alps for years the one thing that I would recommend is to look thru the turn to where you want to go. (that will require you to turn your head a bit more than you are probably used to.)

To truly enjoy the hair pin turn this a must do.

:-)

^^^^^^^^^THIS

Rule #1. TURN your head. LOOK through the turn. LOOK well ahead.
Rule #2. See rule #1.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »
As mentioned in a post above, watch for elevation changes in the turn and consider your cornering clearance.  You may not be leaning much, but when the road rises to meet you mid-turn, you must compensate.  Nothing wrong with dabbing a foot down but don't stop and lose momentum.

I don't know if you'll encounter anything this severe but it's an example of the turn I described above. 

Have fun!

Tobit

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

kirby1923

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 09:43:31 AM »
I'm with you, Bill.  There are more fun ways to get around a corner.

Stelvio Pass is an example of true multiple zero-radius hairpin turns.  On RH turns, if you were to turn your bars full-lock to the right and just idle around the turn, you will end up in the opposing lane when you're done.  Don't do that.  Yes; if you were to increase your speed and add a bit of lean, you'd be able to turn sharper (but, if you were that person you wouldn't be asking the question).  But, the general technique is to crank your head around and check for traffic coming, and then (if clear) swing out into the opposing lane and smoothly circle around the turn, ending up fully in your own lane.  If you ever end up completing the turn in the wrong lane, you've done it wrong.  Going down, you'll be riding the rear brake; going up, you'll be fanning the clutch.

It's not uncommon to see BMW GS riders with their feet dabbing the ground as they get turned around.  If they lean the bike over in the turn, they can do it easily enough, but when full upright, there's just not enough turning radius for the beast.  It might be embarrassing for them, but that's better than dropping a heavy GS in the turn to the cheers of those up top watching.

Frankly, I find Stelvio Pass about like doing figure-eights in my garage.  The view is spectacular, which is why we love it.

Stelvio is fun but the one thing that you really have to watch for is tour busses, that rear grows longer as he turns. Ha!

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »
Just my observation, based on nothing and worth the same:

In my neighborhood we have a lot oc canyon roads, and mentally challenged individuals who treat them as if they were clean and clear closed circuits.

I enjoy long sweepers and challenging canyon roads, but I keep in mind that I cannot see around the corner for road debris, traffic or livestock.

When a few of us get together, very good seasoned professional riders to weekend warriors, I always say " ride for yourself, not for anyone else- first one there buys                                                                                                                                                                                           
  lunch."

Enjoy, your gonna have fun.

kjf   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:52:39 AM by ken farr »
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
When I rode the Stelvio Pass a good few years ago (on my Quota, the Stelvio came later), I remember encountering a guy trying to pick up his fully laden Triumph Tiger. He was going very slowly through the hair pin and tried to put his foot down. The ground wasn't there!!!.  :-O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Cross-tie Walker

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
Wales and hairpins?  Be sure to keep to the LEFT
Kevin in Seattle
'72 Eldo
'07 Vintage

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
watch for is tour busses, that rear grows longer as he turns. Ha!

Recently, I saw one of these short wheelbase busses with a long overhang in the back scrape the full length of a rather expensive parked Land Rover while making a sharp turn in a parking lot.  The owner of the Land Rover was irate...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 04:26:43 PM »
Keep your head up and look ahead as far up the road as you can.

Keep the gears low and the revs up,

and the bike will follow where you see.

Once you get the feel for it, get a rhythm and gain confidence. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:30:03 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 05:00:26 PM »
Ride your own ride, don't try to keep up with someone that has more skills if you're not ready.
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
Keep your head up and look ahead as far up the road as you can.

Keep the gears low and the revs up,

and the bike will follow where you see.

Once you get the feel for it, get a rhythm and gain confidence.

I just spent 2 1/2 months in the European alps this last summer and concur with the above advise.  I would add to this that you use your rear brake slightly to tighten up your line in the real sharp 180 degree turns.  You will have great fun. 

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 05:35:40 PM »
You guys have this covered, though I'm surprised no-one
Has mentioned throttle control, so I will in case in case it's
a bad habit I've picked up that you guys can correct.

The R1150R is pretty chubby at 557lb and with snatchy low
end fuelling I used to fan the clutch, but with that fixed I
approach the turn on a trailing throttle, go to a neutral
throttle as I initiate the turn, a gnats dick  of pos. throttle
at the apex and then smoothly add more as I exit. I tend to
have just a touch of rear brake going through too.

For me this keeps the bike stable, and if I'm doing it right
remembering to also have my weight centered and be able
to do the " Flappy Duck" mid turn it's smooth and very
pleasing to do.

Maurie.

canuck750

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 05:37:30 PM »
One of my favorite roads is in Arizona, Coronado Trail from the copper mining town of Morencia north to Alpine. Plenty of twisty curves with a few hairpins to make it fun but not too tiring and almost no traffic. A KLR 650 with wide handlebars works just fine for that road, a heavier or larger bike just isn't as much fun, I road it on my BMW R1150RT once but have had way more fun on the KLR.

The Chief Joseph Scenic Highway in Wyoming is probably #2.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 06:21:36 PM »
Go into the corners wide, and turn late - but not over the centre line (if they have one) - that gives you maximum view of anything coming the other way and of the road surface - don't cut the corners (you are on a Breva, not a Cali) - keep looking as far up the road as you can - remember your counter steering -and practice smooth.

You may be slow at first, but as you build confidence, you'll be faster. If you try keeping it smooth, you'll get the hang of it & flow around those corners more. Take it easy & you'll enjoy it. Tight, winding roads are the best fun. And you are on a Guzzi - it's built for it.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »
My biggie is the hairpin with the decreasing radius (hope I described that correctly) where you get your line set and the curve gets tighter as is goes through the apex.  That and the reversed camber.  These are amplified when there is bad or no pavement. 

Out of your control to an extent is the blind hairpin with the oncoming logging truck in your lane.  You can't plan for it.  You need to always anticipate it.  Got one of those with the trike on the Natchez Trace on a road where there was supposed to be no commercial traffic.  Uphill hairpin to the left with no shoulder and a cliff on the right.  18  wheeler hauling ass the other way, completely in my lane.  I was spilling the right rear wheel over the edge trying to avoid the truck.  I had a very clear view of his rearmost wheel looking like it would bisect the trike.  I could see the "Oh Shit!" expression on the driver's face as he hauled the wheel hard over.  I still don't know how I wasn't either wearing his doublewide tire or balled up at the bottom of the cliff.  I had to stop and get off for a moment to recollect myself.

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »
Wales ain't too different to Lincolnshire: Watch out for the sheep !

The rest is following the advice from everyone else here, start slowly and build your confidence.
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »
read this and you'll be ready for Cedar Vale Ks.    :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
Shoulderless hairpin turns and cliffs on the Natchez Trace?

Learn something new every day here!
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
Watch for snow and ice at higher elevations... and dramatic changes of light and shadow... with lots of sharp turns, you need to know when the sun is about to be in your eyes.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:15:44 PM by Scud »
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 08:26:48 PM »
Yessir!  Once you're off the actual parkway, the Natchez Trace region is a literal rabbit warren of bad roads and twisties.  I did almost 200 miles in the hollows and gullies and only made about 60 miles good.  I don't think I covered the same real estate twice, but I might have.  I got into some little tangled backroads there that all seemed to reference churches, if they referenced anything.  And if you followed one long enough, there'd be a church, too.  And some other road.  Little roads leading to littler ones.  The only way to tell if you were ascending or descending into it was the type of road -- shoulders and foglines/guardrails give way to centerline only, then no markings, then less than 2 lanes wide, etc.  Maintenance optional.  Somewhere in all that the road signs go away.  And the only way to tell if you were coming or going is the sun, when you can see it.  I found my way out by trending west and choosing the more developed road at every choice.  Popped out on the main highway about two exits down from where I'd left it.   :grin:

Some of these roads are in the park and some aren't.  Once you launch on it you're taking all the roads not taken, anyplace, ever, and you lose any sense of boundaries and direction pretty quickly in the alternation of small farms and thickets and trees.  I don't know if I had left the park when I met the truck or not.  There had been park service signs and a sign about no commercial traffic over 10,000gvw several miles before the encounter.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.   :boozing:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »
someone told me the Nachez Trace had the same speed limits as the Blue Ridge without the curves or beauty. 
John L 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here