Author Topic: Riding Hairpins  (Read 4820 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Riding Hairpins
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
Possibly the parkway does, but there is a lot more to the region than that road.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 09:32:53 PM »
What the others have said.

Hairpins are, IMO, a vacuum.    :sad:

I have never understood why so many folks want to ride the big passes, e.g., Stelvio, Spluga, and others of fame.

I love curves, but riding straight up or down to come every 1/2 K to a near 180 is way less fun than big sweepers and rock & roll "normal" back-road turns. Rite of passage, I suppose.

That who-cares opinion out of the way, to negotiate the worst of those uphill challenge, recommend you consider using trail braking and move off the saddle to the appropriate side.

My biggest concern going up or down, especially in the blind ones that RER mentions, and which are the rule at lower elevations, was less my own competence -- an omnipresent sphincter-tightener  :shocked: -- but worry about others coming over the line.  On the bright side of that, most such tight corners have pretty generous pavement, so I use every bit of those to give the crazies a wide berth.

Enjoy the new challenges; post some pix.  Have always wanted to see Wales.

Bill
Riding around on the Transfagarasan or Stelvio is not an end in itself. It's what it took to get there that's the attraction.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
Yessir!  Once you're off the actual parkway, the Natchez Trace region is a literal rabbit warren of bad roads and twisties. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.   :boozing:

That's good to know ... I've never ridden it, but every write-up I've heard about it just talks about be sure not to fall asleep on the long, slow, level turns at 50 MPH.

It's on my list ... when we go, we'll make sure to take some time "off route" and explore the countryside.   It's the way we like to ride anyhow .....  :thumb:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Bill Hagan

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
Riding around on the Transfagarasan or Stelvio is not an end in itself. It's what it took to get there that's the attraction.

BTDT, OK, at least to the Stelvio and more in Italy, Austria, and Switzerland, but not -- tho quite willing  :wink: -- to try the Transfagarasan (which, I must admit with some chagrin, I'd never even heard of).  Here is more info for anyone as similarly ignorant as I was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq4ydUVgYTY

And, heartily agree re the "journey v. destination," and especially so WRT the big passes.

Not sure I have  -- for various calendar, aging, and fiscal reasons -- many if any moto trips there ahead, but hope to see it all again someday.

Bill

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »
...the Transfagarasan...

I'll be on it in a few months; I'll let you know how it goes, but I don't think it has anywhere near the sharp hairpins that you'll see in the Alps.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »
That's good to know ... I've never ridden it, but every write-up I've heard about it just talks about be sure not to fall asleep on the long, slow, level turns at 50 MPH.

It's on my list ... when we go, we'll make sure to take some time "off route" and explore the countryside.   It's the way we like to ride anyhow .....  :thumb:

Lannis

I look for the lesser used routes.  I agree that the main parkway is boring.  But the NT is much longer than the park, and the region is much wider than the highway.  Getting off the main drag is the best way to get a feel for it.

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »
I'll be on it in a few months; I'll let you know how it goes, but I don't think it has anywhere near the sharp hairpins that you'll see in the Alps.

Mr Kalal, as I often find after reading your posts, I sigh & wish I could travel as you do.
Thanks for the write-ups & posts.

Somewhere along the way we lost the OP who was off to Wales. Maybe he's revising his Holiday plans !
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 12:32:55 PM »
Simply never override your ability or the bikes ability.  You can go into any curve at any speed but coming out of it is the ultimate goal.  Have fun and remember the goal is to sit around the supper table with friends going over the days adventures not the days tragedies.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 12:36:22 PM »
No I'm still here but on a weeks break in ........ Cadenabia Como with too few chargers to go around and weak WiFi signal
Weather great and mountains snowy
Not off to the Guzzi temple this time but I REALLY wish that my B11 was downstairs right now!!!!

If Wales is like this in a couple of months I'll be very happy.

The route I'm taking includes:-
4 national parks
2 world heritage sites
1 pudding shop
1 BIG radio telescope

I plan to follow Daniels lead and do a bit of a travel report  - watch this space

Cheers everyone
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:38:40 PM by tris »
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Cross-tie Walker

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
If you're ever in the Eastern Washington/Oregon area: Highway 129 south of Clarkston Washington gets into some awesome hairpins winding down to the Grand Ronde river near the Oregon border.
Kevin in Seattle
'72 Eldo
'07 Vintage

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
 The only road that ever gave me any real trouble was Lombard Street in SF . Combination of brick pavement , steep downhill , sharp corners , and being on a /5 with drum brakes and a female passenger made for an interesting experience .

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here