Author Topic: Is this a legit Ebay listing?  (Read 4463 times)

canuck750

Re: Is this a legit Ebay listing?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 01:06:46 PM »
Sorry fellas , I am betting there is some real hinky stuff going on here . Seller says the bike was purchased in a clearance sale , what happened to the title ? What is a nice Sei worth , one that has proper paperwork and is in operable condition ?

Dusty

Probably right but I am going to chase it down a little bit longer, I left a message with Schumacher Logistics in New Jersey to call me back and I have contacted the US Border and Customs, turns out the bike has to have a title to leave the USA, maybe this is why it's still in New Jersey?  If the bike was never registered getting a title is probably very difficult if not impossible. The Customs guys in the States were actually very helpful and spent some time trying to figure another way to prove ownership that would suffice for border release, but unless the state of origin can be proven its a lost cause.

Mint 750 Sei's ask over $20K but they sure don't seem to sell for that, I bet more like $16K ~ $18K is top dollar and a good runner for $10 ~ $12.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
As per my earlier post, its now clear that the current seller didn't have the required papers to export/ship/import/register the bike in Australia.

The most suitable buyer would be in the US, in a state where lost title procedures are reasonable.  If the bike has never been registered in that state in the period since records have been retained it will be relatively simple because there is no record of back registration being due.  Typically the process involves a police check of stolen vehicle records and then a new title.  Incidentally, after that process is completed by US buyer, the bike could be sold and exported without issue.

I think 1970s Benelli multis are a risky place to put money.   These are not bikes that were highly prized in period and only a few years ago a Sei was near impossible to sell (at say $4K).  Whether people will continue to pay more for them is open to question, but I wouldn't personally bet on it.  These are not bevel Ducatis or V7 Sports. 

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »
Probably right but I am going to chase it down a little bit longer, I left a message with Schumacher Logistics in New Jersey to call me back and I have contacted the US Border and Customs, turns out the bike has to have a title to leave the USA, maybe this is why it's still in New Jersey?  If the bike was never registered getting a title is probably very difficult if not impossible. The Customs guys in the States were actually very helpful and spent some time trying to figure another way to prove ownership that would suffice for border release, but unless the state of origin can be proven its a lost cause.

Mint 750 Sei's ask over $20K but they sure don't seem to sell for that, I bet more like $16K ~ $18K is top dollar and a good runner for $10 ~ $12.

Jim , what would you realistically offer for the bike ? Maybe one of our members in the area would get it out and titled , then if possible you could simply import it to Canada . Still , I would want to see the bike , and likely would be very careful .

Dusty

canuck750

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
Jim , what would you realistically offer for the bike ? Maybe one of our members in the area would get it out and titled , then if possible you could simply import it to Canada . Still , I would want to see the bike , and likely would be very careful .

Dusty

I had a few more conversations with NJ DMV and US Customs, the seller confirms there is absolutely no paper work of any kind supporting ownership. An American buyer may have the time and resources to get a title but its beyond what I can accomplish being out of country.

From my perspective the bike is now a parts bike, worth maybe $3K. If I had a donor bike with a title it might be worth getting this one and disassembling it into parts that could be shipped. I have a couple leads on other ones that need TLC so its best I keep looking. I waited years to find a Moto Morini for sale and now I have two and have turned down another one recently, its how it goes.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »

Offline Mike Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • harpermoto.com
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »
Having been a Benelli dealer for a very very short time. ( I learn fast) I would call this a "Leverite"  as in leave her right there.

Notorious Junkers with transmissions that were made out of Glass.  99% of them had a broken transmission within a few days and the rest are somebody's office furniture and never started.

Just do yourself a favor and 'Leverite" there.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:20:29 PM by Mike Harper »

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
No vehicle can leave the US without a bill of sale or title. So he's probably decided to much of a hassle to get one and is selling to the one person who has made a bid.

canuck750

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 09:32:55 AM »
Having been a Benelli dealer for a very very short time. ( I learn fast) I would call this a "Leverite"  as in leave her right there.

Notorious Junkers with transmissions that were made out of Glass.  99% of them had a broken transmission within a few days and the rest are somebody's office furniture and never started.

Just do yourself a favor and 'Leverite" there.

Thanks Mike!
I can't ask for a better opinion than yours, I heard the transmission were bad but I didn't realize they were that bad! Does that put the Benelli Sei up there in the same company as a Lilac?

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
The transmission might be why it only has 16 miles. Imagine trying to find the parts or would a later model fit?
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
What did p t Barnum say.😢🛵😢🛵

canuck750

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »
The transmission might be why it only has 16 miles. Imagine trying to find the parts or would a later model fit?

There is a guy in Spain who specializes in the 750 Sei and 900 Sei, he can provide a transmission with the improved shift dogs from the 900 Sei for around $1K.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 11:37:06 AM »
What did p t Barnum say.😢🛵😢🛵

Don't walk behind an elephant with your sunglasses on.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here