Author Topic: Thinking about coming back  (Read 5383 times)

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
Thinking about coming back
« on: February 04, 2019, 09:44:52 PM »
I hung around here a few years ago. I’ve owned an early Ambassador, LeMans III and V11 Sport, but sold them 5 or so years ago (Selling the LMIII is probably my worst bike decision ever). I tried a VStrom and didnt like it, sold a 70 CB750 and R80ST last summer. I’m bikeless, and want to know how the V7III would compare to my old LeMans III or an 850T. Do the 750 small blocks pull hard to 80mph? Do the new bikes sound like the old big blocks?  I love the old Guzzis but these new bikes look interesting. Anyone who owns both, how do they compare?  Can a big block guy love a small block?

Thanks,
Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: Thinking about coming back
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 10:52:53 PM »
Never been a bigblock guy but I love my smallblock.  Pulls to over 80 evenly and effortlessly.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 03:00:21 AM »
Never been a bigblock guy but I love my smallblock.  Pulls to over 80 evenly and effortlessly.
I rode a V7 while in the UK and was encouraged to give it a bit of a touch up.
Was very surprised how peppy it felt and was very similar to a '99 SV 650 S that I have, in performance and characteristics.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 05:25:55 AM »
I haven't spent a ton of time on anything older than a Tonti Cali.

I THINK you just have to demo one for yourself (or borrow one, I forgot to look for a location before posting).

That said, the big blocks I've owned FEEL different than our smallblocks. The V7 I and III we have don't quite have the same almost freight train feel of the BBs. At the same time the chassis feels smaller, lighter, more nimble.

I mean it still feels 100% a Guzzi, it's just a little different of an experience.

I've not found myself wishing it was a BB though.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 05:25:55 AM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 05:41:03 AM »
In my opinion big blocks and small blocks are not the same.

Modern small block V7's put out about the same HP as the vintage big block V7's. That's about where the similarities stop. IMO A modern V7 will not feel or remind you of an old big block.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 06:08:07 AM »
You'll just have to demo one. It still has that great Guzzi architecture and engine "feel." The modern small block is more sophisticated and more ..er.. modern, though.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 06:56:14 AM »
You may want to try a griso , a little more weight but a lot more get up and go. Handles well, just not as flickable as the small blocks.   I can understand the sellers remorse on the LMIII .  The 850 is a wonderful motor.  Hopefully you'll be rejoining us soon.  :thumb:

Offline janguzzi

• Gosling
    • My YouTube Channel (Guzzi Content)
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 07:03:08 AM »
As Lucian wrote...try a Griso!
You have already owned a LeMans III and V11 Sport.
The Griso is the next logical step.

You can get more info here:
https://www.grisoghetto.com/
If you go for an 8V then it should have roller tappets.

I once drove a Breva 750. Even as a short guy (5″8), I felt like riding a bicycle ... more ore less.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:53:26 AM by janguzzi »
Kind Regards
Jan, Schuby (near the Danish Border), Germany
www.janguzzi.de
-1992-2002: 1000S, 2nd Series
-2002-2004: V11 Le Mans "Grigio Titanium"
-2004-2011: V11 Le Mans "Rosso Corsa" & 2008-2011: 950S
-2018-2021: California Vintage
-2011: Griso 8V & 2023: V85 TT "Giallo Mojave"

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »
As Lucian wrote...try a Griso!
You have already owned a LeMans III and V11 Sport.
The Griso is the next logical step.

You can get more info here:
https://www.grisoghetto.com/
If you go for an 8V then it should have roller tappets.

What these gentlemen said.  IMHO there is nothing out there like a big block Guzzi.  The small blocks I had were nice bikes, but didn't have intoxicating oomph the big blocks have.  I've also had a V11 Sport.  The Griso is more refined than the V11 Sport.  You give up a small bit of flick ability for that refinement.  I've owned both the pushrod and the 8v Grisos.  I'd recommend either.  However, the 8v takes the refinement I mentioned to the next level.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »
You guys are confirming what I expected. I wanted the small block motor to have that fantastic vintage Guzzi feel and sound. Like riding a freight train. The power and torque those old bikes make just made me smile and want to ride all the time.  The 84 R80 sat in the garage souless. The VStrom was buzzy and top heavy. The CB750KO was cool but lacked the exhaust note.

I really like the look of the new V7’s, in my opinion they are the best looking new bike being made. Maybe they’ll put the new motor in that sweet looking bike. Until then I guess I’ll find an old Tonti to play with.

Thanks, Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 07:38:19 AM »
Welcome back. I'd at least ride a new small block, and make my own decision.
FWIW, my Kid, Brad, has an 8V Grease O. He restored an early 1100 Spot, and now the Grease O sits.. <shrug> If you want freight train.. think about a Spot. A friend that was an Aprillia driver down in Kentucky rode Brad's Spot. He has one now.. :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 08:01:48 AM »
Welcome back Tony!
Try a V9...from Cadre in Cincinnati. Talk to the owner Enzo.
A long haul from Michigan I know but at those prices and that bike, quite a deal.

inditx
www.cadrecycle.com
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
Limited experience with SB's here. (Loaners while getting some routine service on the 1400.) Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the performance. It was better than I expected! As for sound, I have had the pleasure of hearing several with Agos, both with and without rhe dB killer installed. They really do sound GOOD.

Don't discount them before you have a chance to ride one.

John Henry 

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 09:47:37 AM »
I can't say if the Griso is the natural progression the OP should take if looking at getting back into Guzzi ownership. I had and 1100 Griso and while i have never ridden a Sport I don't think they are similar. I would put the Sport and the Ducati 900ss in the same boat but that's a different conversation.

If the OP loved and misses the LM-3 why not look for another. There are out there and not to hard to find.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

twowings

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 09:49:12 AM »
Rollerized Stelvios, Grisos, and Norges are pretty darn cheap these days...check cycletrader.com...

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 10:01:05 AM »
In my opinion big blocks and small blocks are not the same.

Modern small block V7's put out about the same HP as the vintage big block V7's. That's about where the similarities stop. IMO A modern V7 will not feel or remind you of an old big block.

+1

The big block bikes just feel different.  I've ridden an original V7 Sport and several V7 Classics.  Guzzis, yes, but not the same.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 10:01:56 AM »

Online jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
I can't say if the Griso is the natural progression the OP should take if looking at getting back into Guzzi ownership. I had and 1100 Griso and while i have never ridden a Sport I don't think they are similar. I would put the Sport and the Ducati 900ss in the same boat but that's a different conversation.

If the OP loved and misses the LM-3 why not look for another. There are out there and not to hard to find.
If you're referring to a 90's era 900ss, there is a considerable weight difference as compared to a V11, almost 100 lbs.  900ss will be a much quicker handling bike.  But i do like the V11...:)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
If you're referring to a 90's era 900ss, there is a considerable weight difference as compared to a V11, almost 100 lbs.  900ss will be a much quicker handling bike.  But i do like the V11...:)

They are considerably lighter, but I wouldn't say quicker handling, although it's been a really long time since I've ridden one.

I wanted the small block motor to have that fantastic vintage Guzzi feel and sound. Like riding a freight train. The power and torque those old bikes make just made me smile and want to ride all the time.  The 84 R80 sat in the garage souless.

Like I said, if you haven't ridden an 1100 Sport, it sounds like it would be a match made in heaven for you.. the newer Guzzis being mentioned don't have that "freight train" feel. It was the last of those.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »

There are 3 constants. Death, taxes and Guzzi will outweigh 100 its direct competition buy about 100 pounds. 
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 11:16:19 AM »
Chuck, my 03 V11 Sport was a really nice bike. It had the flaking black engine paint. But, it was a running SOB. Another one I probably should have kept. I do miss the LeMans a bit more. At 51 years young and a retired grunt, my back and hips would prefer I sit up on the bike.

T
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 11:20:25 AM »

Big difference in handling and weight. Sport has to be 'set up' for a fast corner, the SS just goes where you point it. If I had to give up one it would be the Duc, the Sport is just awesome.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
Chuck, my 03 V11 Sport was a really nice bike. It had the flaking black engine paint. But, it was a running SOB. Another one I probably should have kept. I do miss the LeMans a bit more. At 51 years young and a retired grunt, my back and hips would prefer I sit up on the bike.

T

I have a hot rod Scura which is my favorite all time bike. Just the same, if freight train..trust me, I know what you are talking about.. is what you are looking for, a Tonti LeMans or better yet 1100 Sport is what you want.
Devildog sez:
If I had to give up one it would be the Duc, the Sport is just awesome.

I rest my case, your Honor.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 01:37:06 PM »
Do the 750 small blocks pull hard to 80mph?

I don't know about the newer bikes, but last summer I was on my Nevada behind a semi doing about 75MPH, so I decided to pass.  As I did the truck started to speed up, so I opened up the throttle and passed pretty quickly.  By the time got past the truck, I looked down and I was doing 90MPH, so let get up to 100MPH just for fun.  I would not describe it as sport bike like, but I thought it still had good pull.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Online jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 01:55:58 PM »
I have a hot rod Scura which is my favorite all time bike. Just the same, if freight train..trust me, I know what you are talking about.. is what you are looking for, a Tonti LeMans or better yet 1100 Sport is what you want.
Devildog sez:
I rest my case, your Honor.  :smiley:
You guys are bastards...now I need to go find an 1100 Sport to ride.  And I know what's gonna happen if I do...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 03:19:33 PM »
I don't know about the newer bikes, but last summer I was on my Nevada behind a semi doing about 75MPH, so I decided to pass.  As I did the truck started to speed up, so I opened up the throttle and passed pretty quickly.  By the time got past the truck, I looked down and I was doing 90MPH, so let get up to 100MPH just for fun.  I would not describe it as sport bike like, but I thought it still had good pull.

I don't think anyone is saying there's anything wrong with (or inadequate about a smallblock). HELL I SOLD 2 big blocks and now I have 2 small blocks! But there IS a difference in feel. And I'll go further and say I'm not sure my Jackal was any faster than say our new Carbon is going to wind up being. BUT, the Jackal had more of that freight train feel that the Carbon does not. MAYBE part of that is weight or mass or stability I dunno, but it's a different feel from the smallblock.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying there's anything wrong with (or inadequate about a smallblock). HELL I SOLD 2 big blocks and now I have 2 small blocks! But there IS a difference in feel. And I'll go further and say I'm not sure my Jackal was any faster than say our new Carbon is going to wind up being. BUT, the Jackal had more of that freight train feel that the Carbon does not. MAYBE part of that is weight or mass or stability I dunno, but it's a different feel from the smallblock.

Kev, That is a great explination. Thanks for the honest comparison. I’m glad you enjoy your 750’s. I think it’s great for MG that so many people like the V7s. Let’s see if the new V85 can get 65hp to the ground. Make a great bike even better.

Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
Almost all my Guzzi time has been on my V7 Sport.  When my best friend got a new brand new 2013 or 14 V7, I rode it some.  He said "you'll like it but it doesn't feel like your bike."  He was right.  It didn't feel like the "freight train" experience like others have mentioned. it still felt, rode & sounded like a Guzzi.   Not bad or inferior, just different.  Try one and see what you think. 

It's not a LM III, but this nice looking  LM V is still listed on c/l in VT for $3300.00...  https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/d/brandon-1987-moto-guzzi-lemans/6782768712.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:19:56 PM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Moto

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 05:33:10 PM »
I have a Griso and a T3. The Griso is a pale shadow of the T3 in the "freight train" department. It's all in the flywheel weight. I'd recommend an earlier bike -- why not another Lemans 3, as was said?
Those who have only experienced the new V7s don't know what Guzzis like your old one were about.
Moto

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 05:46:53 PM »
Carb'ed bikes verse FI bikes are like listening to vinyl verses CD. FI is great in its own way but it glosses over so much.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:32:03 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here