Author Topic: Idle Problems  (Read 3130 times)

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
Idle Problems
« on: March 06, 2015, 05:27:08 PM »
In the last couple of weeks I've had 2 bikes in here with idling issues on one cylinder. Both bikes are older and using VHB carburetors. The first was an Ambassador, it ran great but, was loading up and fouling the left plug. The owner had tried what he could and then brought it to me. I've seen this problem before and other than having the jets swapped, it's usually the choke plunger. This carb had a piece of the old choke plunger stuck in the bore. Someone along the way could not get it out so, they drilled it out until a new one would fit but, didn't get the whole thing out so it would not seal.

I fished this out but there is still some in there.
The next bike had the opposite problem. It was running too lean on the right cylinder. I could spray a little carb cleaner down the throat and the idle picked right up. My young apprentice had rebuilt the carbs, (it's his newly acquired 850T). He's done a few sets and has the basics down. We pulled the carb and popped on another we had just rebuilt and the bike ran fine. On close inspection this is what I found...

Here's a good carb...

The plugs from the drilling of the idle passages are missing, where they went and why I have no clue. I'm going to try to find some small bearings and peen them in the holes.
Just thought I'd put this out there.
Joe Walano

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Idle Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »
Paging Dr. Guzzi Joe, Paging Dr. Guzzi Joe! Your wanted In the emergency room!
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
75 850t wifes (Plum Crazy)
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661
Never take life so serious you won't get out of it alive

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 07:26:30 PM »
 Joe, I've used drops of solder to peen into those holes. Works well and is almost free (Guzzi content) .  ;D

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
This one was idling a little rich. Figured the float needed adjusted.  ;D not a Guzzi carb, but this may be the best bodge ever..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »

The plugs from the drilling of the idle passages are missing, where they went and why I have no clue. I'm going to try to find some small bearings and peen them in the holes.
Just thought I'd put this out there.

My guess is you cleaned the carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner, it rattled the plugs loose

I have seen that before a friend put his Kawasaki carbs in for cleaning and several fell out, found them in the bottom of cleaner.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:55:55 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here