Author Topic: POLITICAL ADS ON WG  (Read 8099 times)

pete roper

Re: POLITICAL ADS ON WG
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2019, 06:42:36 PM »
I'd wondered where the Toadist term came from.. but assumed it was one of Mr. Roper's Englisher things.  :smiley:

Nah. In fact it wasn't even a Wind in the Willows reference to be honest, (Although it obviously fits Beep Beep! :grin:).

Jude and I coined the term after being stuck behind interminable queues of inadequate vehicles towing caravans, I think in Scotland?? Caravans are 'Towed' behind a car, ipso facto they became 'Toads'. Most of them bear a more than passing resemblance to amphibious reptiles as well. Extrapolating from there obviously the owner/operator of the Toad must be a Toadist! It's all perfectly logical!

There are also 'Self propelled Toads', Winnebogans and the like that have a motor and steering wheel although actually 'Driving' them rather than just aimlessly passing along a road and ricocheting off other vehicles seems to be anathema to their owners.......

Pete

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:19 PM »
Toadists driving Winnebogans........ .. my goodness. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

pete roper

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »
beverage containers (domestic) all have a deposit on them up here. So you get the deposit back if you return them to sorting depot. Many do, many find it too much work. However, the added benefit of the deposit system is that it creates a built-in recycling program, as those who are down on their luck will put in the effort to retrieve them from the public trashcans.

You *can* collect tin and steel to return for cash, but to scrapyards for whatever the going rate per pound is. You can imagine who much you need to make it worth it, so that stuff is generally just put in the recycling bin.

Every state in Oz nowadays, except for some reason Victoria, has a refund system in place for bottles and cans and such. My youngest son who is 25 and lives in a typical share-hovel in Canberra thinks it's great. You just scan your phone on the pad at the maw of the 'Returns' facility and then stuff in your cans/bottles etc. for whatever the return is. It's not much but the app on the phone which acts as an identifier gets told at the end of the process how much has been *earnt* and it is then deposited into your bank account. No cash involved and for someone like my boy he has a dedicated account at his bank it goes into and it never gets touched until the utilities bills come in every three months. 'Cos he takes all our bottles and cans too he's actually finding that he effectively voids his electricity bill every quarter! All his housemates piss and moan at bill time, he just goes and empties his recycling account.

Needless to say anything over and above the bill amount can then be blown on grog and trying to persuade young ladies into his filthy, (But at least well lit!) abode!

Pete

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2019, 05:37:48 AM »
And I thought we Germans were the real muster students in the world regarding environmentally awareness and all Americans plastic bag - throwing truck drivers. You put me on shame!
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2019, 05:37:48 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here