Author Topic: Recall for 98EV  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Bill

• Gosling
Recall for 98EV
« on: December 02, 2019, 03:46:39 PM »
Was there a recall on the 98EV rear wheel? If so what was the issue?
Thanks, Bill

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Recall for 98EV
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »
Yes.  A safety recall.
There were occasional breaks to the inboard end of spokes.  If broken, the spoke head could fall between the spinning wheel hub and the stationary bevel drive box.  If the spoke head jammed in the correct position it could cause a hole or fracture to the bevel drive.  Oil loss onto the tire could cause a crash.
In the USA, Guzzi was required to supply an entire new rear wheel.  The tire and the hub spline were transferred from the old wheel to the new wheel.  The new wheel included a simple, sheet-metal flange to capture any broken spoke head and prevent the jamming danger.  In the UK, Guzzi merely supplied the sheet-metal capture ring which was then applied to the existing wheel.
Nobody ever addressed the issue of breaking spokes!

I have two 98EV both with replaced wheels.

What is your issue?  Any dealer could check to verify if the recall was applied to your bike.  Do you have the wheel off?  Easy enough to see if the wheel carries the capture ring.  I can't find a picture of the capture ring.  Perhaps someone else has a wheel off and can post a picture?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 04:59:20 PM »
Patrick addressed the rear wheel quite well.

There was also one other recall that involved adding a second cable to the throttle to make it a pull pull deal. If you don't have two cables up there then you might consider that as well.

John Henry

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:20:25 PM »
Wow! This is so long ago that I  have to scratch my head. Took my 98 EV in for that recall a loooong time ago. The dealer took the rear wheel off and removed and replaced the inside plate that sealed the whole assembly. Never noticed any difference. Good luck.

94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:20:25 PM »

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 06:52:06 PM »
Took awhile in searching, but I finally found and clipped an Internet image for the infamous 'spoke ring'.  Red arrow points to a light-colored ring in the interior of the rear wheel hub.  About 10" in diameter and 1" across.  Thin sheet metal.  Ring is held in place by two Phillips machine screws at 8:00 o'clock and 12:00 o'clock positions and a third hex head bolt at the 4:00 o'clock position.  The  hex  head bolt also serves to anchor the "Z" tab which secures the large 'split ring' that holds the cush plate in position.  NOTE:  The cush plate is NOT in place on this wheel image.  This spoke ring was NOT included on the original wheel.  As a result of the recall, every 98EV in the USA should have received a new wheel including the ring.  Twenty years on, I doubt there is any way to force Guzzi to come up with the parts.  Even the government has to allow for 'closure' at some point.

So, what is the recall status of your rear wheel????

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:53:31 PM by pehayes »

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 02:43:43 PM »
Was the 1998 EV the only model involved in the spoke issue?
1990 MilleGT

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 03:57:04 PM »
That depends on what you mean by the spoke issue.  :-)
Subsequent wheels probably came with the same spokes but also came with a capture ring for the loose ends.
So, only the 98 had a recall.  Maybe some later bikes still had spoke issues but not the more-dramatic bevel case fracture issue.
I think there was also a full rear wheel design change shortly after.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 04:03:12 PM »
Here's why I asked  the question. I had an unidentified noise. A dealer in GA took the rear wheel off for inspection. He found there was very very slight play in the wheel bearing as it sat in it's cavity. I drove it home and my local dealer said no problem there is a re call on the rear wheel. So I got a replacement and kept the old wheel. (Cause of the noise never determined)
I'd like to sell the rear wheel but don't want to sell it if it's unsafe. Personally I think the wheel bearing is a non issue as the play is very difficult to detect.   Certainly the wheel doesn't have the safety ring.
So should I offer it for sale? If I did I would describe the situation. Could be a cheap deal for someone needing a rear wheel or should I junk it?  Suggestions?
Thanks, Bill

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 04:23:30 PM »
Bill:  When did this noise and replacement occur?  Time and mileage.  Surely Guzzi should have taken the old wheel back for modification or destruction.  That is the normal process for safety recall parts.  Odd that you were able to keep it.  For the odd noise, I would be looking at u-joint or carrier bearing.  Since they are not bathed in oil, those are usually the first components of the drive train to fail.  Easy enough to pull the swingarm for inspection.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont  CA

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
Patrick,
The wheel replacement was about 1999 or 2000. Probably around 30,000 miles on the bike. The noise is of no concern likely just a rattle of something loose.  I only hear it on occasion.  The bike has continued on to about 132,000 with no issues. I'm only  concerned  about if I should sell the wheel or trash it. I'd like it to go on for someone who needs  it but don't want to sell it if it's  unsafe. I'm leaning toward trashing it.
Bill

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 05:23:45 PM »
Don’t trash it - someone who has a wheel with the capture ring could use it as a spare.  Like me.

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
Don’t trash it - someone who has a wheel with the capture ring could use it as a spare.  Like me.

+1   Don't trash it.  Although it led to a massive, expensive recall issue, I can't say that I've ever heard of anyone who actually broke a spoke or broke the bevel drive.  It was surely a rare phenomenon.  Maybe more MIGHT have happened if the recall hadn't been demanded.  Maybe an actual spoke damage victim will chime in here?

Yes, someone with a bent wheel and known capture ring could just move the ring.  As I wrote earlier, the recall in the UK merely required the addition of the ring to the existing wheel.  Installation was quite simple.  I think the screw holes were actually pre-tapped. 

If you have an ethical or moral concern for passing along the wheel, then perhaps find someone with a set of alpha stamping dies and hammer the word "RECALL" into the aluminum hub.  You're off the hook for fraud.  The second owner has a known entity and can't sell it on further without noting the defect.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 08:22:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try to sell it but have buyer sign a statement that he knows it's a recall. Last time I looked I think a rear wheel was around $750. I think I'll offer it at around $300. Does that seem fair?
Bill

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 09:29:04 PM »
Might check the “sold” listings on eBay.  I bought a rear a month or so ago for $230.

elvisboy77

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »
Yes.  A safety recall.
There were occasional breaks to the inboard end of spokes.  If broken, the spoke head could fall between the spinning wheel hub and the stationary bevel drive box.  If the spoke head jammed in the correct position it could cause a hole or fracture to the bevel drive.  Oil loss onto the tire could cause a crash.
In the USA, Guzzi was required to supply an entire new rear wheel.  The tire and the hub spline were transferred from the old wheel to the new wheel.  The new wheel included a simple, sheet-metal flange to capture any broken spoke head and prevent the jamming danger.  In the UK, Guzzi merely supplied the sheet-metal capture ring which was then applied to the existing wheel.
Nobody ever addressed the issue of breaking spokes!

I have two 98EV both with replaced wheels.

What is your issue?  Any dealer could check to verify if the recall was applied to your bike.  Do you have the wheel off?  Easy enough to see if the wheel carries the capture ring.  I can't find a picture of the capture ring.  Perhaps someone else has a wheel off and can post a picture?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

No replacement wheel on my 99 EV.  Only a shield installed.  USA.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:27:43 PM by elvisboy77 »

Offline busdog

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 09:50:41 PM »
My 99 had the capture ring come loose and ended up mangled.  I have been unable to find a new capture ring.   
Running a loaner wheel.  Any thoughts on finding one?

Keith

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here